Cats still chasing Jack

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cats still chasing Jack

SaintPav wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 1:07pm "Clarity around his current situation will be gained at the conclusion of the home-and-away season".

In other words, this flog ain't got a clue.

:roll:
Exactly. This article was clearlya puff piece and pure speculation.

No doubt this flog had a deadline to meet and so just squirted out some speculative crap.

Jack may or may not be off, but this guy has no clue one way or the other!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Cats first pick will be in the high teens at best

Not sure that’s enough

#1 Ryder fan
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 7:28pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 1:07pm "Clarity around his current situation will be gained at the conclusion of the home-and-away season".

In other words, this flog ain't got a clue.

:roll:
Exactly. This article was clearlya puff piece and pure speculation.

No doubt this flog had a deadline to meet and so just squirted out some speculative crap.

Jack may or may not be off, but this guy has no clue one way or the other!
It's from that flog Barret. He never did have a clue.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I have this message for the pussies from sleepy hollow.

f*** off you greedy pricks. The guy has mental health issues.

The last thing he needs is for you dopkicks complicating his life further than it already is.

He has already knocked you back twice . Don't you know how to take no for an answer. Are you all that thick down in struggle town.

Anyway Jack is contracted to the saints for next year and he loves his teammates,

Go away. Creeps. :evil:

SMS
Club Player

We cannot afford to lose an elite mid. He is the only one we have.

Must keep at all costs.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Cats have always liked chasing mice.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Moods
Saintsational Legend

If he doesn't want to stay no point trying to keep him. Get a good deal and move on. Not as if he's in his prime. Has about 2-3 good years left at best.
He may have won 4 x B&F's but I don't view him in the same class as Lenny or Harves or even dal or Joey. If he wants to go then don't let the door hit you on the way out. We want players who want to stay and play for us. He has been very well remunerated at the saints

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 5:55am If he doesn't want to stay no point trying to keep him. Get a good deal and move on. Not as if he's in his prime. Has about 2-3 good years left at best.
He may have won 4 x B&F's but I don't view him in the same class as Lenny or Harves or even dal or Joey. If he wants to go then don't let the door hit you on the way out. We want players who want to stay and play for us. He has been very well remunerated at the saints
I agree with this except for the bit about not letting the door hit him on the way out. Has been a really good player for us and wouldn’t be the first to want to move closer to family, especially if there are mental health issues that need support. Will be 30 at the start of next season and a free agent at the end of it. If there’s a deal to be done that is in our long term favour that nets us a quality player and/or high draft pick, then definitely worth considering.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

If he wants to go. We need to let him go.

I think he would be on board however if we informed him that Geelong will need to pay for him.

First rounder and a future second, or first rounder and a player. I would probably look at Stanley or another of their best 22.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Vazelos
Club Player

We have this summer to either get him to extend his contract for next year plus 2 more or lose him for nothing end of 2020 as a free agent so he either signs or we trade him.
The risk is how do you know he is going to get get his head right?
People are telling me he is a real mess.
We have Steven mentally fragile, Roberton with a heart issue and Mc Cartin with concussion trauma I don’t know how you assess these players with any sense of confidence.
Steven is a player we can’t afford to lose given our list issues in this area otherwise we would need to nail at least 2 pacey high level midfielders.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Pay the right price he’s theirs

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Does he want to go?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 11:40am Does he want to go?
Hasn't in the past by the sounds of it . Knocked the handbaggers back twice already.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 11:51am
magnifisaint wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 11:40am Does he want to go?
Hasn't in the past by the sounds of it . Knocked the handbaggers back twice already.
May be that the pull of family and home territory is stronger in the wake of mental health issues. Also he may see the end of his career coming and the possibility of playing in a flag in the next few years being much higher with the Cats.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Pure fluff piece, yes they can ask and they probably will but jack has been with us thru the good and then the long bad times. Now that there is a change a coming I'd be surprised if he would pack it in.

We don't want a pick we would want a gun ready made player so it would be interested what they would offer.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 12:30pm Pure fluff piece, yes they can ask and they probably will but jack has been with us thru the good and then the long bad times. Now that there is a change a coming I'd be surprised if he would pack it in.

We don't want a pick we would want a gun ready made player so it would be interested what they would offer.
What is that pick leads us to a trade with a gun midfielder??

Essentially we are in a money ball phase - we need to identify and recruit BIG talent for the now, with an eye on the future - we need to poach players who have been developed elsewhere.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Saint 58
Club Player

bigred wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 10:26am If he wants to go. We need to let him go.

I think he would be on board however if we informed him that Geelong will need to pay for him.

First rounder and a future second, or first rounder and a player. I would probably look at Stanley or another of their best 22.
Would love to get Stanley back !
Imagine Marshall & Stanley playing together in the team - two mobile rucks who are good possession winners & can also play forward

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 12:35pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 12:30pm Pure fluff piece, yes they can ask and they probably will but jack has been with us thru the good and then the long bad times. Now that there is a change a coming I'd be surprised if he would pack it in.

What is that pick leads us to a trade with a gun midfielder??

Essentially we are in a money ball phase - we need to identify and recruit BIG talent for the now, with an eye on the future - we need to poach players who have been developed elsewhere.
Too much of a risk for our best player. We need someone of equal ability or a good player with huge upside. It's a moot point anyway as cats pick will realistically be above 15. Would you trade stuv for that?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I would take Stanley for Steven. Straight swap. That is if Jack wants to see out his career in Geelong though and wants to depart.

It also depends on who we draft and recruit though in terms of midfielders to replace Steven.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 2:00pm I would take Stanley for Steven. Straight swap. That is if Jack wants to see out his career in Geelong though and wants to depart.

It also depends on who we draft and recruit though in terms of midfielders to replace Steven.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ratts and Jack and Ratts on Jack.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 3b7672d3d1

"Brett Ratten wants to return to a full-time senior coaching role and he’s firming to be that man at the Saints. But what options does he have on the table? Plus Jack Steven closing in on a return.
Rebecca Williams, Herald Sun

July 26, 2019 11:22am

St Kilda interim coach Brett Ratten says he’s yet to be approached by old club Carlton or hold formal talks with the Saints as he continues his audition for a full-time return as an AFL senior coach.

And Ratten said he was happy for the coaching selection process to take as long as necessary.

The Saints this week named the members of their coaching selection subcommittee, which will be chaired by club president Andrew Bassat.

The committee also includes Saints’ football director Dean Anderson, chief executive Matt Finnis and general manager of football Simon Lethlean, along with the AFL’s Head of Coaching David Rath.

“Not I haven’t heard from the Blues, no,” Ratten said at Moorabbin on Friday.

Live stream the 2019 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on KAYO SPORTS. Every match of every round. Live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >

“I spoke to Andrew (Bassat) Wednesday night and just had a chat and he said they were putting together the committee and they would go from there, but nothing formal yet.”

Ratten has worked alongside Rath closely in the past during their time together at Hawthorn.

Must-see new two-part crime investigation exposing the double life of corrupt ‘Lawyer X’. Watch on Sky News

But he expected Rath to treat him the same as any other coaching applicant.

“Rathy has got a great footy brain and his role at the AFL is really important for the game itself, he is so professional David in the way that he goes about it,” Ratten said.

“We have got a long relationship with being involved at Hawthorn and the premierships that we won, but this will be pretty professional the way that it’s going to go about it.

“He’ll make his decision or have a view on it, if I’m in that process he’ll treat me like any other person.”

Ratten, who guided to the Saints to victory in his first game in charge last weekend after taking over from Alan Richardson, stressed again his interest in securing the Saints job.

“I have enjoyed the St Kilda atmosphere and the culture here in regards to the players and the way they go about it, so I’m putting my hand up here,” Ratten said.

“But you don’t know what’s around the corner.”

Asked if he would pursue the other vacant coaching jobs, Ratten said:

“I’ve probably got to get asked first. I might not get asked and that will be interesting too, I’ll have to do what I’m doing,” he said.

“We’ll just see what happens.”

Ratten said he had been given no indication from the Saints about when they wanted to appoint a new coach, but was happy for the process to take as long as necessary.

“I don’t think any organisation making a decision on their football coach should rush it. It’s a big decision, you put a lot of time into it,” Ratten said.

“That person has to lead the football club to where they want to go.

“Whether it’s Carlton, North or the Saints. I don’t think they should be rushing into any decision, they need to do their homework on the people that are applying or the people they want because it is a big decision.

“All football clubs are making this decision because the club isn’t going where they want it and they need to make a change so the next person in charge has to take the football club to where they want to go.”

RATTEN: JACK WILL BE BACK ... FOR GOOD

Ratten is confident Jack Steven will return to play AFL this year and remain a key figure for the club beyond this season.

Steven will play his second game in the VFL this weekend after taking an extended break to deal with mental health issues.

Ratten said Steven was in a good space and on track to return to the senior side at some stage before the end of the season.

“He is going well. He played three quarters, he’ll play in the VFL again this week, he looked happy and really that’s the main thing that we want from Jack,” Ratten said.

“He had 21 touches in three quarters of footy running around, he is a very good player, but he needs to get a bit more fitness into his preparation.

“But he was smiling and happy and jovial which is great to see.

“He could (play seniors this year). That’s the plan.”

There have been reports Geelong are set to try and lure 29-year-old Steven, who hails from Lorne, closer to home.

Ratten expected Steven, who has played just the four senior games in 2019, to be a required player at the Saints, who he is contracted to until 2020.

“That’s a list management decision there. What a great player, four B and Fs, he’s been outstanding for the football club and he’s just such a talent,” Ratten said.

“If you’re coaching, you want talent around and he’s got an abundance of that. We’d love to have him at the footy club.”

But he acknowledged Steven’s happiness was the primary consideration when asked if he might want a fresh start.

“I’m not sure. I haven’t spoken to him about that, I’ve only been in this role for a week, whatever is best for Jack and if he is happy that’s the main thing,” Ratten said.

“I know Richo as well wanted him to be happy and in a good space so that’s our main aim as a footy club.”

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 2:09pm Ratts and Jack and Ratts on Jack.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 3b7672d3d1

"Brett Ratten wants to return to a full-time senior coaching role and he’s firming to be that man at the Saints. But what options does he have on the table? Plus Jack Steven closing in on a return.
Rebecca Williams, Herald Sun

July 26, 2019 11:22am

St Kilda interim coach Brett Ratten says he’s yet to be approached by old club Carlton or hold formal talks with the Saints as he continues his audition for a full-time return as an AFL senior coach.

And Ratten said he was happy for the coaching selection process to take as long as necessary.

The Saints this week named the members of their coaching selection subcommittee, which will be chaired by club president Andrew Bassat.

The committee also includes Saints’ football director Dean Anderson, chief executive Matt Finnis and general manager of football Simon Lethlean, along with the AFL’s Head of Coaching David Rath.

“Not I haven’t heard from the Blues, no,” Ratten said at Moorabbin on Friday.

Live stream the 2019 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on KAYO SPORTS. Every match of every round. Live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >

“I spoke to Andrew (Bassat) Wednesday night and just had a chat and he said they were putting together the committee and they would go from there, but nothing formal yet.”

Ratten has worked alongside Rath closely in the past during their time together at Hawthorn.

Must-see new two-part crime investigation exposing the double life of corrupt ‘Lawyer X’. Watch on Sky News

But he expected Rath to treat him the same as any other coaching applicant.

“Rathy has got a great footy brain and his role at the AFL is really important for the game itself, he is so professional David in the way that he goes about it,” Ratten said.

“We have got a long relationship with being involved at Hawthorn and the premierships that we won, but this will be pretty professional the way that it’s going to go about it.

“He’ll make his decision or have a view on it, if I’m in that process he’ll treat me like any other person.”

Ratten, who guided to the Saints to victory in his first game in charge last weekend after taking over from Alan Richardson, stressed again his interest in securing the Saints job.

“I have enjoyed the St Kilda atmosphere and the culture here in regards to the players and the way they go about it, so I’m putting my hand up here,” Ratten said.

“But you don’t know what’s around the corner.”

Asked if he would pursue the other vacant coaching jobs, Ratten said:

“I’ve probably got to get asked first. I might not get asked and that will be interesting too, I’ll have to do what I’m doing,” he said.

“We’ll just see what happens.”

Ratten said he had been given no indication from the Saints about when they wanted to appoint a new coach, but was happy for the process to take as long as necessary.

“I don’t think any organisation making a decision on their football coach should rush it. It’s a big decision, you put a lot of time into it,” Ratten said.

“That person has to lead the football club to where they want to go.

“Whether it’s Carlton, North or the Saints. I don’t think they should be rushing into any decision, they need to do their homework on the people that are applying or the people they want because it is a big decision.

“All football clubs are making this decision because the club isn’t going where they want it and they need to make a change so the next person in charge has to take the football club to where they want to go.”

RATTEN: JACK WILL BE BACK ... FOR GOOD

Ratten is confident Jack Steven will return to play AFL this year and remain a key figure for the club beyond this season.

Steven will play his second game in the VFL this weekend after taking an extended break to deal with mental health issues.

Ratten said Steven was in a good space and on track to return to the senior side at some stage before the end of the season.

“He is going well. He played three quarters, he’ll play in the VFL again this week, he looked happy and really that’s the main thing that we want from Jack,” Ratten said.

“He had 21 touches in three quarters of footy running around, he is a very good player, but he needs to get a bit more fitness into his preparation.

“But he was smiling and happy and jovial which is great to see.

“He could (play seniors this year). That’s the plan.”

There have been reports Geelong are set to try and lure 29-year-old Steven, who hails from Lorne, closer to home.

Ratten expected Steven, who has played just the four senior games in 2019, to be a required player at the Saints, who he is contracted to until 2020.

“That’s a list management decision there. What a great player, four B and Fs, he’s been outstanding for the football club and he’s just such a talent,” Ratten said.

“If you’re coaching, you want talent around and he’s got an abundance of that. We’d love to have him at the footy club.”

But he acknowledged Steven’s happiness was the primary consideration when asked if he might want a fresh start.

“I’m not sure. I haven’t spoken to him about that, I’ve only been in this role for a week, whatever is best for Jack and if he is happy that’s the main thing,” Ratten said.

“I know Richo as well wanted him to be happy and in a good space so that’s our main aim as a footy club.”
Good article, thanks for posting Saynta.

Do you find the pieces highlighted in yellow contradict each other?
Sloppy journalism in my opinion.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Age article on the same subject JB

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/don ... 52b2d.html

St Kilda caretaker coach Brett Ratten says football clubs shouldn't "rush into anything" when picking their coaches for the new season, but has indicated he is keen for the top job with the Saints.

On a high after last week's win against the Bulldogs by 27 points, Ratten is the third caretaker coach this year to deliver an immediate response, and he is hoping to maintain that momentum when his side clashes with Melbourne on Saturday.
St Kilda caretaker coach Brett Ratten celebrates the win against the Bulldogs after the match.

St Kilda caretaker coach Brett Ratten celebrates the win against the Bulldogs after the match. Credit:AAP

"You're not going to always play like that every week, but we were on the front foot and I was pleased with the players and how well they played, and how aggressive we were to try and win the footy back," Ratten said.

His comments came a day after the Saints finalised the members of their coaching selection subcommittee, which will be chaired by President Andrew Bassat and includes football director Dean Anderson, chief executive Matt Finnis, football manager Simon Lethlean, and the AFL's head of coaching, David Rath.
Advertisement

North Melbourne and Carlton are also on the hunt for coaches to take them into the next season.

Ratten said he hadn't been formally approached for an interview by Carlton – where he coached after taking over from Denis Pagan as a caretaker in 2007 before being sacked at the end of 2012 and replaced by Mick Malthouse – but he was keeping his options open.

Ratten refuses to rule out Blues return

St Kilda caretaker coach Brett Ratten says he would consider returning to the club that fired him seven years ago

"I've probably got to get asked [to apply for the vacant roles at Carlton and North Melbourne] first. I might not get asked and I'll have to do what I'm doing," Ratten said.

"We'll see what happens there."

Asked if he wanted the Saints to announce their pick before the home-and-away season ended, Ratten said clubs should take their time in choosing the right coach to lead their teams.
Related Article

"I don't think any organisation making a decision on their football coach should rush into it," Ratten said.

"It's a big decision – you've got to put in a lot of time. That person has to lead the football club where they want to go. And whether it's Carlton, North or the Saints, I don't think they should be rushing into anything – [they should be] doing their homework on the people applying and the people that they want."

Injured midfielder Dan Hannebery and key forward Josh Battle are set to return for the clash against Adelaide next week, Ratten said"

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Both articles sourced back to this interview.

https://www.saints.com.au/video/2019-07 ... -melbourne

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

probably Fake news.

Just Damian Barrett doing his usual thing