Acres rumoured in Hill trade.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Acres rumoured in Hill trade.

Hill comes with a Draft Pick, being our First Round plus steak knives if required (think Savage)

We already have 2 Draft Picks to add to our player resources courtesy of King and Bytel not having played yet so getting Hill for Pick 6 is no big deal to me

This scenario improves St Kilda

We get Hill instead of an 18 year old with potential so adding to our core of required players which includes Acres

Fremantle’s needs?

They are obviously in re-build so 2 Picks inside the first 10 may well appeal to them

Fremantle have sacked their Coach for a reason and that reason is their decline post playing in a Grand Final was it just 4 years ago?

Hill wants to return to Melbourne - and history says a transfer will be negotiated

Once Hill nominates a Club which he has not yet

Moods
Saintsational Legend

As far as I'm concerned EVERYONE on our list is tradeable. There should be no untouchables (possibly Marshall and Clarke excepted)
Of course this is dependent on what's on offer. But if a Brad Hill is on offer then I would trade pretty much any of our mids for him. He's better than all of them. If getting rid of Carlisle means bringing in Ryder then do it. If Shaun Higgins wanted to come to the saints anyone in the midfield is tradeable. We are crying out for some class. It all depends on the deal on offer. We become attached to these blokes hoping they'll come good. I've been reading for years on here about all these fine young players we have, yet no-one else seems to rate them outside our bubble and the results tell me that everyone else is right.

Acres has had his chance. the excuses of 'well he's only ever had Richo as a coach' simply doesn't wash. We need to get tough. There may be some busts but we have to be bold or it'll be another 5 years of mediocrity regardless of who coaches us.

To the top
SS Life Member

Hill will not improve St Kilda

The addition of Hill to our players with skills will improve us

To throw everyone out and replace them with whoever is a failed strategy

For such a strategy to succeed every player traded out will need to be replaced by a better player

You build sides - you do not trade them in

The only players with trade value at St Kilda are our best players otherwise why the interest?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 10:24pm Good trade for both clubs.
Would prefer to give Blake another year under Ratten
I’m with you on this. One more year under new coach to see if we can get him to the next level.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 11:56pm Hill will not improve St Kilda

The addition of Hill to our players with skills will improve us

To throw everyone out and replace them with whoever is a failed strategy

For such a strategy to succeed every player traded out will need to be replaced by a better player

You build sides - you do not trade them in

I never said trade them all, i said theyre all tradeable

The only players with trade value at St Kilda are our best players otherwise why the interest?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Freo's endurance king requests trade back to Victoria - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-28/fre ... o-victoria

This the story I meant to post before. So if they want Acres and a pick, what pick would it be and how to we get it.

I think Ryder and Tomlinson in lieu of trading Carlisle and/or Bruce maybe the club's thinking, leaving 5 for B.King.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

This is a similar situation to Bruce. If we are trading Josh to bring in Tomlinson or Ryder, and we are trading Acres to bring in Hill we are just getting rid of good players and it won't improve our list.

We have too many similar types. What about trading Billings for Hill - straight swap?

If we had a choice of giving them 2 players for 1 (e.g. Ross and Parker) I'd do it. If they wanted Billings and Sinclair I'd consider it if they give us a 2nd round pick as well.

Blake is unique. I think he is ready and mature enough to realise his potential under a new coach and we'd be mad to let another club reap the benefits.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

there comes a time when 'potential' becomes 'wasted potential'
acres is at that tipping point.
do we trade him for one who has already realised his, or hold and hope.
and if we're not prepared to trade anything but lemons that is all we'll get in return.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
To the top
SS Life Member

Acres is a match winner

You do not trade out match winners

With Acres, two considerations are ensuring he is free of the ailment that cost him 2018, because they linger and to work on his overhead marking

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 10:41am Acres is a match winner

With Acres, two considerations are ensuring he is free of the ailment that cost him 2018, because they linger and to work on his overhead marking
When has Acres actually been a match winner?

At 23 and 80 odd games (at a guess) he should really be impacting games consistently.

He is a massive tease, big, strong, reasonably quick and goods skills.
Looks like a champion when he is on song.

He may turn the corner next year and fulfill his potential, or maybe he plays another 60 games of the same standard, I hope the former.

One thing that is certain is Blake is not a match winner on form to date, he is a B grade swingman at the moment albeit with A grade potential. The difference between Blake and many other saints is that "p" word.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Up until 2018 Richo was still in two minds whether this bloke was in our best 22. Richo preferred giving games to Mav Weller and Sam Gilbert instead of showing some faith and giving guys like Acres some continuity.

Blake just needs a coach who believes in him and gives him some love...he just wants some love I tell ya!!

https://yliay.stripocdn.email/content/g ... 181313.jpg

To the top
SS Life Member

I repeat that Acres has been a match winner for St Kilda on multiple occasions, delivering a class performance when the game is there to be won

So commanding quarters of football winning over 10 possessions or more, possessions which have reeked class

And those quarters raise the obvious question as to why he has been deployed as a forward and periodically in the ruck - and not rotated as a first choice mid-fielder

damienc
Club Player

Compared to Bradley Hill you cannot be serious? Hill would eat Acres for breakfast, lunch and dinner any day of the week. Elite runner, brilliant kick, great goal sense.

Love Acres but he is no match for Hill who will be a serious loss for Fremantle.

And a magnificent gain for us.

Saints supporters like me will get very excited watching him play for the red, white and black.

To the top
SS Life Member

Well, Acres started 2018 in good form - then succumbed to injury (a groin?) which cost him numerous games

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 4:28pm I repeat that Acres has been a match winner for St Kilda on multiple occasions, delivering a class performance when the game is there to be won

So commanding quarters of football winning over 10 possessions or more, possessions which have reeked class

And those quarters raise the obvious question as to why he has been deployed as a forward and periodically in the ruck - and not rotated as a first choice mid-fielder
Please name those multiple occasions Acres has been a match winner across his 80 odd games?
Just because you write "I repeat" doesn't make it factual.

I'm not talking about when he has contributed or played well, I refer to your (repeated) comment of match winner!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
To the top
SS Life Member

Look at the kid’s stats Round 1, 2018 then tell me he can not play. Post that match he struggled with injury which ultimately cost him the season

You ADD Hill to the List to improve it

And, I repeat, given we have King and Bytel as highly regarded Draft selections yet to debut I do not see that Pick 5/6 is imperative to our future particularly if it gives us Hill

We have been building a side from Ground Zero since the Draft that gave us Billings, Dunstan and Acres in the top 20

And we continue to BUILD

The addition of Hill (hopefully), King and Bytel will be at the expense of the bottom 3 of our optimum side in 2019 - so improves the side including in regard structure where King will assist (noting that he will take time to deliver which those contributing on here do not seem to acknowledge - instead looking for miracles instead of process)

The REAL improvement at St Kilda will be generic - with hopefully some cream on the top such as Hill

The age demographic of the List will improve also noting the attempts to remedy that Lyon period deficiency this year by going to the State Leagues seeking experience

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I agree with To The Top you do not give away a 23 year old ,194 CM ,92 KG with X Factor just as he is starting to come into his prime our development of him & many others has been deplorable ,he should be played through the midfield & with Hannas,Steele,Ross & hopefully Bytel and Constable we are starting to look descent also Dunstan,Gresh and Billings ,he has a huge tank and once our new coach releases him with confidence we will see him exceed our expectations,we have put a lot of work into him let’s not throw it all away !

PADDLEPOP1000
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Acres is our most overrated player

The fact he is being called a match winner proves it

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 5:08pm Look at the kid’s stats Round 1, 2018 then tell me he can not play. Post that match he struggled with injury which ultimately cost him the season

You ADD Hill to the List to improve it

And, I repeat, given we have King and Bytel as highly regarded Draft selections yet to debut I do not see that Pick 5/6 is imperative to our future particularly if it gives us Hill

We have been building a side from Ground Zero since the Draft that gave us Billings, Dunstan and Acres in the top 20

And we continue to BUILD

The addition of Hill (hopefully), King and Bytel will be at the expense of the bottom 3 of our optimum side in 2019 - so improves the side including in regard structure where King will assist (noting that he will take time to deliver which those contributing on here do not seem to acknowledge - instead looking for miracles instead of process)

The REAL improvement at St Kilda will be generic - with hopefully some cream on the top such as Hill

The age demographic of the List will improve also noting the attempts to remedy that Lyon period deficiency this year by going to the State Leagues seeking experience
Don't think anyone posted that he can't play, he has enormous potential that he has not delivered on as yet.
Don't think anyone here wants him out either.

I still dispute he is a match winner or better than a B grade swingman right now.
He has elite qualities, but hype outweighs performance to date.

Still waiting for the list showing the multiple games he was a match winner.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

would take Hill for Acres and a 2nd, but doubt that would be the deal

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We don’t have a second round dp

spert
Saintsational Legend

Acres is like too many of our players- especially onballers..inconsistent..great for a quarter or so, then falls away. Inconsistency of performance is one of our biggest problems in the playing group.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 5:36pm I agree with To The Top you do not give away a 23 year old ,194 CM ,92 KG with X Factor just as he is starting to come into his prime our development of him & many others has been deplorable ,he should be played through the midfield & with Hannas,Steele,Ross & hopefully Bytel and Constable we are starting to look descent also Dunstan,Gresh and Billings ,he has a huge tank and once our new coach releases him with confidence we will see him exceed our expectations,we have put a lot of work into him let’s not throw it all away !
I’m noticing Bytel being talked about as a quality addition to our midfield. May it be so, but he is yet to play a game. Just saying.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 3:11pm If he goes he will become a gun.
He has something. 23yo 194cm midfield beast anout to hit 100 games. I hope we dont get rid of him.Will regret.
Sorry, when did he become a midfield beast? I must have missed that game.

Acres out, Hill in...whether you like Blacres or not, you have to admit we'd be instantly better.

Ape_Man
Club Player

degruch wrote:
SMS wrote: Wed 28 Aug 2019 3:11pm If he goes he will become a gun.
He has something. 23yo 194cm midfield beast anout to hit 100 games. I hope we dont get rid of him.Will regret.
Sorry, when did he become a midfield beast? I must have missed that game.

Acres out, Hill in...whether you like Blacres or not, you have to admit we'd be instantly better.
Maybe, but not by much. Hill has hit his peak, or close to it.

Has Acres?

That is the big question for me.

We may be better off next year. That is assuming we get Hill for a straight swap.

If we have to give up a pick plus Acres? Well that is an entirely different question.

Is Hill worth short term gain if it costs us a decent pick and a decent player?