All the picks AFLW Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: All the picks AFLW Draft

stkfc1 wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 9:34am
saintspremiers wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 5:25am
Enrico_Misso wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 11:56pm We should reinstate the Moorabbin mud bowl.
Nah, I’d prefer jelly
Wow. This thread brought out the Neanderthals. Watch those knuckles while they drag on the ground boys.

Jelly? Really? Wonder if you'd be so flipant if it was your daughter out there?

Just think it's a easy ride and a lot of young boys are missing out due to priorities going elsewhere.

And why should young girls not get the same opportunity that young boys get to enjoy our great game. I know of a young girl who was an excellent prospect to play AFLW but was struck down with cancer. While she's recovering now, she has missed her opportunity to play due to the effects and its really effected her as it was all she wanted to do. Why should boys be prioritised over the girls who want the same opportunity?
Incredibly sad isn’t it?
I think AFLW is a fantastic initiative, however people are determined to undermine it with cheap shots.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 11:56pm We should reinstate the Moorabbin mud bowl.
Nah, I’d prefer jelly
Wow. This thread brought out the Neanderthals. Watch those knuckles while they drag on the ground boys.

Just think it's a easy ride and a lot of young boys are missing out due to priorities going elsewhere.

And why should young girls not get the same opportunity that young boys get to enjoy our great game. I know of a young girl who was an excellent prospect to play AFLW but was struck down with cancer. While she's recovering now, she has missed her opportunity to play due to the effects and its really effected her as it was all she wanted to do. Why should boys be prioritised over the girls who want the same opportunity?
They get far more oppurtunities now than the boys.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
amusingname
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 9:21am
diddley wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 9:19am
CURLY wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 8:55am
outside66 wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 8:45am
CURLY wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 7:11am
saintsRrising wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:20am
CURLY wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 4:23pm
outside66 wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 3:30pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 22 Oct 2019 3:13pm Easiest 15k they'll ever make.
How so?
Base wage for about 10 weeks
So you are just going to ignore all the time and effort for them to get this far? That if they don't actually train for most of the year that they would not get picked?

That in playing in this competition they will have sacrificed other careers, or income?
Yeah I am. The Eastern Ranges just took there new crop and most of them had just completed their first season of football ever. They are getting a pretty easy path through.
Well that would explain why there was only 2 selected from the Eastern Ranges then... I just find it a little underwhelming that people like yourself would prefer to come out with a snide cheap shot rather than trying to be supportive of the new generation or simply be quiet if it’s not your cup of tea.
Where the are the boys missing out? Such a cop out. Just because someone is doing something good in one place, does not mean it takes the shine off somewhere else. It just adds.
If anything, it will only add more supporters to the game, which in turn, adds more to the boys.
The ride may be “easier” than that of the road to the AFL (a sport essentially in its infancy will take time to get more competitive), but that does not make it easy.
Resources such as grounds ,game times, grants development squads are all affected.

That is just plainly incorrect, funding and opportunities for the boys has not been affected in any way. Let me guess, you know one or two boys who didn't make the ranges squad and have decided that it is because they have a girls team as well now?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 9:58am
How so?
So you are just going to ignore all the time and effort for them to get this far? That if they don't actually train for most of the year that they would not get picked?

That in playing in this competition they will have sacrificed other careers, or income?
Yeah I am. The Eastern Ranges just took there new crop and most of them had just completed their first season of football ever. They are getting a pretty easy path through.
Well that would explain why there was only 2 selected from the Eastern Ranges then... I just find it a little underwhelming that people like yourself would prefer to come out with a snide cheap shot rather than trying to be supportive of the new generation or simply be quiet if it’s not your cup of tea.
Where the are the boys missing out? Such a cop out. Just because someone is doing something good in one place, does not mean it takes the shine off somewhere else. It just adds.
If anything, it will only add more supporters to the game, which in turn, adds more to the boys.
The ride may be “easier” than that of the road to the AFL (a sport essentially in its infancy will take time to get more competitive), but that does not make it easy.
Resources such as grounds ,game times, grants development squads are all affected.

That is just plainly incorrect, funding and opportunities for the boys has not been affected in any way. Let me guess, you know one or two boys who didn't make the ranges squad and have decided that it is because they have a girls team as well now?
No that's incorrect. Development squad sizes have been cut back. Boys that have worked for years to get a gig can't get a crack only to see girls play a season and get invites into development leagues. Boys games getting pushed to rubbish time slots due to girls taking game time priority is also hurting numbers.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Nah, I’d prefer jelly
Pretty sexist comment.

amusingname
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:01am
How so?

No that's incorrect. Development squad sizes have been cut back. Boys that have worked for years to get a gig can't get a crack only to see girls play a season and get invites into development leagues. Boys games getting pushed to rubbish time slots due to girls taking game time priority is also hurting numbers.
Sorry, but girls getting invites to womens development leagues does not change the opportunities for boys. The rest is opinion based, as having a look at the NAB league fixture for the girls, which only ran until may by the way, shows pretty much late morning/early arvo games, with the boys having more of a mix with a lot of 2pm games in there. I can't see how that is affecting the boys development.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

How so?

their

diddley
Club Player

Nah, I’d prefer jelly

This is exactly what I was trying to say. The girls are getting a tiny fraction of the opportunity of what the boys get, and yet it’s taking too much of their resources.
Knuckle draggers. Love it.
I take it you are still seething that women have the opportunity to vote, aren’t you sp? You know they are even allowed to drive cars these days!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:11am
How so?

Sorry, but girls getting invites to womens development leagues does not change the opportunities for boys. The rest is opinion based, as having a look at the NAB league fixture for the girls, which only ran until may by the way, shows pretty much late morning/early arvo games, with the boys having more of a mix with a lot of 2pm games in there. I can't see how that is affecting the boys development.
Development sizes have been cut as funding has been directed to the womens footy. Also local junior footy the boys have been pushed to either extremely late time slots or ridiculously early.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:27am
Nah, I’d prefer jelly

This is exactly what I was trying to say. The girls are getting a tiny fraction of the opportunity of what the boys get, and yet it’s taking too much of their resources.
Knuckle draggers. Love it.
I take it you are still seething that women have the opportunity to vote, aren’t you sp? You know they are even allowed to drive cars these days!
No that's incorrect. I just think that the push has gone far to far one way and they have forgotten what junior football clubs do.

amusingname
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:28am
How so?

Development sizes have been cut as funding has been directed to the womens footy. Also local junior footy the boys have been pushed to either extremely late time slots or ridiculously early.
Ok, clearly have your mind made up and that isn't going to be changed regardless of logic, if you think that boys don't have opportunities to play high level football because of girls footy becoming more prominent, feel free to have that opinion. Just ignore the game and continue to focus on umpiring conspiracies against our AFL team.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:33am
CURLY wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:28am
How so?

Ok, clearly have your mind made up and that isn't going to be changed regardless of logic, if you think that boys don't have opportunities to play high level football because of girls footy becoming more prominent, feel free to have that opinion. Just ignore the game and continue to focus on umpiring conspiracies against our AFL team.
I can only assume you have no involvement in grass roots football. If you did your opinion would change.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From afl.com

"ST KILDA

Georgia Patrikios (pick 5, Calder Cannons), Rosie Dillon (24, Hawthorn VFLW), Nicola Xenos (27, Oakleigh Chargers), Tarni White (30, Coorparoo), Tamara Luke (33, Hawthorn VFLW), Hannah Priest (41, Norwood), Pass

Georgia Patrikios is a silky winger who can also play on the inside of packs and will add some class to the Saints' inaugural line-up.

Small midfielder Rosie Dillon and aggressive forward/ruck Tamara Luke will join former Hawthorn VFLW coach and new AFLW assistant Paddy Hill at Moorabbin. The pair have been passed over in several drafts, with Dillon in particular working hard on her fitness this year.

Queenslander and mid-sized utility Tarni White missed last year with a torn ACL but is a proven performer on the big stage, having been named best on in the 2018 QAFLW Grand Final as a 17-year-old.

Nicola Xenos is a speedy midfielder with a strong run-and-carry game, while South Australian Hannah Priest is a versatile onballer who originally hails from Bendigo.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

maybe have a new board section called AWFL :) in this site for those fans to post on and read.
good on them and all, but this forum is for the st kilda afl club.

if we do a collingwood and get a netball team (a far higher standard of competition if you like watching elite female athletes, or in their case, elite sportspersons) are we going to see threads in here as well? no, we'd at best have a seperate section. as makes sense.

but hey, it's offseason, so i guess who really cares what gets put in here. always interesting reading in the off.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Premium89
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:23pm maybe have a new board section called AWFL :) in this site for those fans to post on and read.

if we do a collingwood and get a netball team (a far higher standard of competition if you like watching elite female athletes, or in their case, elite sportspersons) are we going to see threads in here as well? no, we'd at best have a seperate section. as makes sense.

but hey, it's offseason, so i guess who really cares what gets put in here. always interesting reading in the off.
Ineresting point - I love the fact that we have a women's team now, It Gives us even more to talk about, and plenty more to argue about! Hopefully more success in future too...
Take your point about the Netball, but I don't see the AFLW as being a different club to the men - the Administration/coaches/facilities certainly don't seem to be set up that way. Obviously "AFLM" still gets the lions share, and i'm sure will still get the lion's share of attention here.

diddley
Club Player

Premium89 wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:51pm
desertsaint wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:23pm maybe have a new board section called AWFL :) in this site for those fans to post on and read.

Ineresting point - I love the fact that we have a women's team now, It Gives us even more to talk about, and plenty more to argue about! Hopefully more success in future too...
Take your point about the Netball, but I don't see the AFLW as being a different club to the men - the Administration/coaches/facilities certainly don't seem to be set up that way. Obviously "AFLM" still gets the lions share, and i'm sure will still get the lion's share of attention here.
Careful referring to it as AFLM, that will bring out the knuckle draggers who can’t handle progression.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Thank heavens for quoting!!!!!

Made this thread so readable and easy to follow.

So good the I CBF with it!...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Nah, I’d prefer jelly

Quit the PC bullshyte will you!

It’s two jokes Joyce! Bloody stupid fun police at it again.

I’m not actually against AFLW - I have a workmate who’s on the VFLW who unfortunately didn’t get drafted the other day - I know how hard she works training wise and the slog it to make it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

I want the Saints to do a Barcelona and have a Handball team. That would be awesome. Also a good game for retiring players to transition to. Handball is an underrated game.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 8:48pm Thank heavens for quoting!!!!!

Made this thread so readable and easy to follow.

So good the I CBF with it!...
One point Marto!

I’ll give you that one....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

AFLM ????
Sounds like something I brought up when I last had a chest cold.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:53pm
I want the Saints to do a Barcelona and have a Handball team. That would be awesome. Also a good game for retiring players to transition to. Handball is an underrated game.

Well there used to be a Squash Team.

Not that I was in it, but I did use to play on the Club's Courts every Thursday. Used to be the cheapest court hire in Melbourne at the time if you were a SC Member. Just a few coins for the light meter.

Watch training, have a hit of squash with a mate, then a meal in the bistro and be the first to hear the team selections each week (back then they would announce the team in the rooms and then release it to the media).

If you were lucky you won the meat tray!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

the saints baskeball team was the best in the land back in phil smyth's day. wore the red, black and white too.
nicknamed the pumas for some strange reason.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Special
Club Player

diddley wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:57pm
Premium89 wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 1:51pm

Careful referring to it as AFLM, that will bring out the knuckle draggers who can’t handle progression.
Are you the full quid?

It’s the AFL and AFLW.

There is absolutely no reason to call our national game AFLM.

Nice try, keep trying.

outside66
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 10:38pm
Nah, I’d prefer jelly

Quit the PC bullshyte will you!

It’s two jokes Joyce! Bloody stupid fun police at it again.

I’m not actually against AFLW - I have a workmate who’s on the VFLW who unfortunately didn’t get drafted the other day - I know how hard she works training wise and the slog it to make it.
Would you tell your workmate jokingly that you'd prefer to watch them play in jelly? I doubt it. This isn't PC bullshyte, it's basic common decency and respect towards women. Something that a few on here clearly lack...