Ledger delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ledger delisted

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:I saw his last two games live. ....the boy kicked impossible goals....imho the boy can play....someone else mus have thought so too at some stage ..otherwise we would never have drafed him in the first place....
I'm not sure that tells you anything. There's a lot of guys we drafted who didn't work out. Presumably we thought Rob Eddy had talent in the first place. And Caydn Beetham. Nick Winmar, Chris Oliver, Dermot McNichol, Eljay Connors. A lot more guys fail than succeed - I don't see why Ledger couldn't be one of them.
i would think all guys that initially get on an afl list can play the game better than most....after all...they are the cream.....after that it is up to clubs to give the boys time, develop them and when possible give them a game if they are up to it...

last year.....watters gave a game to fergie, who was not up to it.....and gifted games to saad milera and tdl.....also not up to it imho.....ledger was treated poorly, but was promsed two games at seasons end...where he shone...also..imhfo.....

after that it is down to hard work, opportunity, maturity to grasp the nettle, luck and good management.....maybe ledger wasn't up to the hard work......going to sleep during the coaches talks wouldn't have helped....

he obviously erroneously believed he would get better opportunities somewhere scotty wasn't........he lost all round.....but..imho,,,...he can play....i'm not backing down on that....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Possessions are a horrible way to evaluate forwards. We averaged 46.4 I50s per game (3rd worst) and only GWS turned over the ball more frequently. Roo averaged 18.6 possessions per game. So given our lack of supply, our lack of quality in our supply and our focus on a single target, how much possession did people think our smalls were going to get?

Similarly, a 20-possession game from a mid tells us little. More than 100 guys averaged over 20 possessions. Teams use the ball a lot more and mifielders rack up much higher numbers than they used to. More than anything else, a 20-possession game says you played in the midfield. It doesn't necessarily mean you played well.

As much as he's loathed here TDL is much closer to our best-22 than Ledger would have been. With Milne and Saad gone, there' no real standouts at small forward and anybody's guess who gets a game there.
Schneider...

and then a bevvy of players who can play hf.

billings, markworth, siposs, joey, milera, murdoch and any of the mids rotating through including the young curren who is useful around goals.

Stanley and Lee are both very mobile for talls too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I used those 4 because those stats clearly identified a structural approach that was clearly not working... 3 small forwards or more. Was not worth persevering with and IMO Ledger should have played a few of those games.

Furthermore, TDL played a few games as a midfielder as well.

SRS, I may be wrong but thought I got those stats form the saints page. Bear in mind that I'm talking full games e.g. not as sub

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dead rubbers that Ledger played in such as the GWS game in 2012, the GC and Freo game this year do not count...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

guess there wasn't a point in even selecting him then

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Schneider...
Schneider played five games, two of those as the sub. Most of the guys you mentioned had goals in single digits and averaged less than 1 a game. There's no standout small forwards at the club and, for all anybody knows, TDL may get a game round one.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stinger
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I used those 4 because those stats clearly identified a structural approach that was clearly not working... 3 small forwards or more. Was not worth persevering with and IMO Ledger should have played a few of those games.

Furthermore, TDL played a few games as a midfielder as well.

SRS, I may be wrong but thought I got those stats form the saints page. Bear in mind that I'm talking full games e.g. not as sub
i agree

stinger
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:guess there wasn't a point in even selecting him then

:wink:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:guess there wasn't a point in even selecting him then
agree