Agree or disagree on McEvoy trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lloyd21
Club Player

Re: Agree or disagree on McEvoy trade

Listened to Bains and thought he explained it really well .
The club needs to be aggressive in rebuild otherwise you won't climb back to top , McEvoy's currency was at its peak.
Quality guy ,but Stkilda are 6 midfielders short of all the good teams .The only way to get quality is to give quality
and they are doing the 2 for 1 dealing last year and this to fasttrack things. Ruckman take longer hence why you have
guys like Mumford , Currie , still available to be recruited and sides like Essendon who have too many Ruckman on their list
and one should have been offloaded one as you can't play 3 in one team particularly with interchange changes next year.
That is list management.
Have watched a lot of Hawthorn games and to me Savage is actually leaving a premiership team , because he is hungry for success at another club we are lucky to have him. I just think it is a pragmatic decision made for the long term success
of the club and if pick 17 is Dumont or Dunstan or Giles then you will be happy .

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, it's a bit of a no brainer really.

No fan wants to lose the good players. No rival club wants to trade for your bad players. And just keeping the players on our list and drafting 3 kids per year is not going to get us to where we want to be.

Ben is a quality bloke and many of us are sad to see him go. But someone with currency had to go and for any number of reasons, he's the one we could most afford to trade.

Scoop
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Yeah, it's a bit of a no brainer really.

No fan wants to lose the good players. No rival club wants to trade for your bad players. And just keeping the players on our list and drafting 3 kids per year is not going to get us to where we want to be.

Ben is a quality bloke and many of us are sad to see him go. But someone with currency had to go and for any number of reasons, he's the one we could most afford to trade.
this.....and lloyd21....agree..

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Gurgman
Club Player

so he is a great person , i gather your his mate Doc , i told you half way throught the season he could go , hmmm maybe our club has been fullof too mant great blokes and not enough blokes who can get the pill and use it

And i thought this was a forum
bergsone
SS Life Member

Gurgman wrote:

so he is a great person , i gather your his mate Doc , i told you half way throught the season he could go , hmmm maybe our club has been fullof too mant great blokes and not enough blokes who can get the pill and use it

Bit rough on the Doc ......IMO

saintact7
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:
saintact7 wrote:Disagree in strongest possible terms. I have no faith in our list management

Ben was a No. 9 draft
pick whon the club has put 6-7 years into and he repaid the club in
the past 3-4 years.  Not the star we all hoped he might be, but a
solid, reliable performer to the point I would think him the front
runner to replace Roo as captain when the time comes.  And ruckmen
don't grow on trees, our stocks are very thin without him. I'm sure
even Grant Thomas would in retrospect acknowledge the importance of a
quality ruckman.

That decision comes on top of a lot of other unpleasant media since
season's end, eg seeking a trade for Dal, mention of the same for Joey
and even Roo, talk of dissatisfaction with the coach and internal
friction between he and other staff, several of them having departed.
I know you can't believe everything in the papers but all up it's not
a pretty picture.

I am a longtime Saints member but i
now ask myself does this club deserve my continuing support.

As I live in Canberra (but still see the Saints 5-6 times a season) I
became a foundation member of GWS as they play 3-4 games a season here
which I think deserves my support.

To compare the professionalism of GWS, a 2 year old club, in
communicating with and supporting members with that of the Saints is
like chalk and cheese and very disappointing.

I have already renewed my GWS membership for 2014, as they sent the
request out in the last week of the season (with a chance to win the
players' jumpers from the final round), but I am yet to receive any
notice from the Saints.

I wonder why should I continue to support a club that
appears to be in disarray or at least making some dumb decisions.
A true St Kilda supporter wouldn't be purchasing a membership for a rival AFL club, regardless of the circumstances. Of course the St Kilda FC deserves your support, they have played in countless finals series and GF's in the last 20 years.

I'm not sure how you figure the Saints are in disarray? Some negative reporting from the bums at SEN and the usual suspects in the papers is hardly confirmation as such. The Pelican is pro-active in bettering our position in the draft and via trades.

Keep the faith I reckon but if not enjoy rooting for a souless franchise like GWS Giants are.

Hey Little Dozer

Appreciate your comments but please don't question me as a true Saints supporter. I've been a supporter since 1969 and I'm a Gold member, and spend thousands each season on merch and travelling to Melbourne 5-6 times for games.

I'm just upset at the reporting which doesn't paint a pretty picture and some of the trade proposals and decisions. Where there's smoke there's fire?

But of course I'll be a member till the day I die.

I am a true Saints supporter but I chose to be a GWS member only because they have bought AFL to Canberra. For the same reason I was a North member for the few years they had an arrangement to play in Canberra. But I always wear Saints gear to the games to show my true allegiance.

But thanks for your concerns!