Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

The Redeemer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:How did Port improve just out of interest do people think?

Sitting around hoping for the best (praying) or backing their recruiters and aggressively going after talented youth?
They drafted a whole bunch of talent over 5+ seasons due to pretty crappy performances consistently....
Agree. And we have been down two already.

According to my calcs they averaged 2.3 good new players per year for 6 years = 14.

So in the next 4 years we need to find 4 x 2.3= 9 new good players. But given our top 4 from this years b&f were all over 30 - we probably need to do a little better - We need probably 10-11 new good players in the next 4 years. Certainly achievable. But easier said than done.

(by good player i mean very good).
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 14 Oct 2014 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

mordiboyz
Club Player

Wonder what Mark Fine thinks of this deal, he has always been Stanleys greatest supporter in the media.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Get it right.
He did not say pet won't be the best player in this years draft.
And even if he did so what?
He didn't say that so it matters not.
It does seem as if it IS a bit of a measuring contest.... Only thing is someone is standing there measuring alone.
Who cares who gets what right or wrong.
?
I mean really ffs.
If you get s*** wrong you say oh well, got if wrong, s***s happens, at least I learnt something .
Those that can't admit fault and get on with it usually learn SFA and only have enough intelligence to stand there with a ruler in one hand and a shorter ruler in the other.

Good lord
Heavens forbid someone might have some club info and that it turns out wrong because plans change.
Youll get your ballbag stapled to the wall in here if you end up wrong.
Jax and tony better cover up......the staplers out and ready :roll:
Did you pass plasticine at school? I really think using ffs all the time suggests not. Anyway lets catch up for a beer soon and discuss. Its just so easy. Why don't you and Con get back on topic so I don't have to waste my time laughing.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mordiboyz wrote:Wonder what Mark Fine thinks of this deal, he has always been Stanleys greatest supporter in the media.
I think you answered that one yourself
Hes going to go nuts :-)

brewski
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
brewski wrote:i dont understand why the club so keen for the 3 draft picks in first round, every bit of information from what seems like every source on the planet says this draft is not deep and is poor comparative to previous years.
everytime i hear it described by so-called experts its always the same:
Petracca , daylight, more daylight, oh a bit more daylight and then choices 2 -10 are pretty good and after that why bother
we have pick 1, we will get the best kid going around, why worry about a forward now, seriously there will be a flood of really good ones leaving the Giants in next couple of years begging to come to us and lets face it, its not like we really believe we will be competitive next year right?
Simple. Adding one good player per year wont even see us break even. And we are already bottom.

There seems to be some mass denial/delusion about where we are at. We finished 18th from 18 and our top 4 in the b & F were all over 30. This is an enormous crisis. Its not panic stations - and each trade should be based on its merits and its merits alone. But we can idly sit by and do nothing. Our list is in an utterly horrendous condition. Hope is not a strategy. We cant just sit back and pick up one good player per year for 5 years and expect to improve. We will lose 5 good players in the next 2 years alone. That would see us have a net loss of good players and we are already bottom. We need to roll the dice and we need drastic action. Doing nothing and hoping for the best will not get us off the bottom ever.

And not sure what experts you are listening to/reading either.
I am willing to bet $1,000 dollars that over the next decade Petracca is NOT the best player from this years draft.

Con, would rather take a chance on getting a potential gun big bodied mid who could be like a fyfe or JPK than getting 3 potential Rhys Stanley's....no offence Rhys ;)
i understand what you are saying about an ageing list but unlike yourself i dont see all of the gloom and despair in that as i rate quite a few of our kids and think that the club is on the right track, all of us knew this wasn't going to be an easy ride...........but hey!! we are saints fans so if there is anyone out there that can live with a bit of pain, it is us!
We really need mids, the best mids we can get, attack and defence both start in the midfield so to panic over forwards and backs is premature at this time in my opinion and like i said earlier there will be a gluttony of forwards homesick in a year or 2 and we will still have low picks to be super aggressive to get the best ones.

i am really excited by our future and our direction but just a little concerned we will roll over on pick 1 for what could potentially be so little reward and would be devastated if the blow back of that embarrassed us for the next 10 years, you are right we need to rebuild but would you prefer 1 Ferrari Spider or 3 daihatsu charade

Banned by the censors
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

brewski wrote:i dont understand why the club so keen for the 3 draft picks in first round, every bit of information from what seems like every source on the planet says this draft is not deep and is poor comparative to previous years.
everytime i hear it described by so-called experts its always the same:
Petracca , daylight, more daylight, oh a bit more daylight and then choices 2 -10 are pretty good and after that why bother
we have pick 1, we will get the best kid going around, why worry about a forward now, seriously there will be a flood of really good ones leaving the Giants in next couple of years begging to come to us and lets face it, its not like we really believe we will be competitive next year right?
You should post more! :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am willing to bet $1,000 dollars that over the next decade Petracca is NOT the best player from this years draft.
Lets make this more interesting...

Best player in the top 20 drafted this year.
(We need an agreed definition of 'best'.)
$1000 paid to the winner's charity of choice... and you're on Con. 8-)

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:What's really going on in this forum??? It's a real pick measuring contest here.

Who cares who said what first??? We all follow St Kilda, I'm guessing & all have opinions, some good, some not so good & some bizarre...just like the outer, play on people.

No we dont all have 'opinions'. All but one. All of us outsider plebs have idiotic & mere 'opinions' but p66 has 'true knowledge and inside 'facts'. Surely we all know this by now. He is self designated self aggrandising 'insider' and fount of all knowledge. Anyone who dares display any contact with anyone at the club should be immediately put back in their place. Brianspeaking, tony74 and now jaxons have all earned his wrath for daring to know anything from club staff. ONLY lord plugger and he alone can make any claims of inside knowledge. Anyone who displays this type of heresy will surely be attacked with head exploding personal vitriol from the fount.
We can all see how smart you are Con by the claim Petracca wont be the best player in this years draft. Wow.
Hi Pluggs, so when did you come around to rating our Christian as the best player in the draft??? :shock:

You've constantly questioned me when I've made that assessment (an assessment that I based on the overwhelming majority of assessments made by draft watchers)...
just like plugger66 wrote:Wow.

That said, over in another thread, if you can wait ten years, then there's the opportunity for the 'Monders to make $1000. 8-)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87390&p=1509818#p1509819
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Tue 14 Oct 2014 8:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I am willing to bet $1,000 dollars that over the next decade Petracca is NOT the best player from this years draft.
Lets make this more interesting...

Best player in the top 20 drafted this year.
(We need an agreed definition of 'best'.)
$1000 paid to the winner's charity of choice... and you're on Con. 8-)

i was trying to keep it vague :-)
Top 20... Makes it more interesting. We need an agreed definition of 'best' and an end date.

evo
Club Player

I reckon Con's right on this one and I doubt if he will be at the saints from what I have been told anyway.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

evo wrote:I reckon Con's right on this one and I doubt if he will be at the saints from what I have been told anyway.
Re. Petracca?

evo
Club Player

Yeah.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:What's really going on in this forum??? It's a real pick measuring contest here.

Who cares who said what first??? We all follow St Kilda, I'm guessing & all have opinions, some good, some not so good & some bizarre...just like the outer, play on people.

No we dont all have 'opinions'. All but one. All of us outsider plebs have idiotic & mere 'opinions' but p66 has 'true knowledge and inside 'facts'. Surely we all know this by now. He is self designated self aggrandising 'insider' and fount of all knowledge. Anyone who dares display any contact with anyone at the club should be immediately put back in their place. Brianspeaking, tony74 and now jaxons have all earned his wrath for daring to know anything from club staff. ONLY lord plugger and he alone can make any claims of inside knowledge. Anyone who displays this type of heresy will surely be attacked with head exploding personal vitriol from the fount.
We can all see how smart you are Con by the claim Petracca wont be the best player in this years draft. Wow.
Hi Pluggs, so when did you come around to rating our Christian as the best player in the draft??? :shock:

You've constantly questioned me when I've made that assessment (an assessment that I based on the overwhelming majority of assessments made by draft watchers)...
just like plugger66 wrote:Wow.

That said, over in another thread, if you can wait ten years, then there's the opportunity for the 'Monders to make $1000. 8-)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87390&p=1509818#p1509819

Im unsure Im saying he will be the best player in the draft. I actually saying its not a huge call at all to suggest he wont be based on only one ever being the best player in the year of the draft and that is rooy. By the way most draft watchers I hear say its very close. Dave you usually very good with what is written.

ace
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
ace wrote:Pick No 21 is not much use.
Now if we could get our hands on pick No14 that would be worth chasing.
I would trade picks Nos 21 and 22 for pick No 14.

If Geelong think Stanley is only worth pick No 21 then how about
Pick No 22 and Rhys Stanley for pick No 14.
Glad you are not doing deals for us Ace!
Your proposed deal means we trade Stanley to jump up 8 places in the draft and we would have picks 1, 14, 41....whereas now we will have 1, 21, 22, and 41 thanks!
Pick 21 not much use.....you are kidding right?
Lets see what you say about the player we take with pick 21 in 12 months time.
It is a decision on quantity versus quality.
2 picks Nos 21 and 22 delivers two good players.
1 pick No 14 deliver 1 player more likely to be elite if your recruiters are any good.
If you rebuild with a multitude of good players you are guaranteed to play finals.
But you need elite players to win a premiership.
I watched the 1966 grand final, I want to watch our team win another before I die.
If we get close but fail in our next window then I will probably not be around for the next.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
parky
Club Player

There was a smallish game last month that showed where we need to get to in regards to game intensity. Does anyone on here really believe that is a level that Rhys will ever achieve? I've not seen it, in fact at times last year I thought he shouldn't get another game for the remainder of the season due to his lack of interest in providing a contest. He is a "nice" footballer with advanced athletic ability and some good foot skills. Pick 21 which gives us an opportunity to get a player with the kind of grunt to win us a GF, i'd take at this stage.

Of course when he comes out at Geelong next season after having a preseason on Balmey's angry pills and plays like Don Scott I'll apologise to all :wink:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

original post requires a queastion mark- as it is only a suggestion at this stage........

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:original post requires a queastion mark- as it is only a suggestion at this stage........
The jaxons don't like question marks...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The jaxons don't need question marks...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The jaxons don't do question marks...

realdeal
Club Player

lefty wrote:Um, I think its a bit silly trading Stanley.

Out of Longer, Stanley and Hickey, he is the only one that can go forward, take big marks and kick goals.
Lets face it, Longer is not good enough yet, and Hickey has an ongoing issue with his knee.

Its not like trading a midfielder, where you can easily replace them.
Finding a tall target that is fast and mobile is very difficult.

I think Geelong win here easily, disappointing as Rhys could be anything.
I think you'd find if the team/midfield are on top, the forwards also get on top. If we get belted by 100+ points, the forwards can't really do much, ie the Hawthorn game.

Not really happy tbh, now it will be "kick it to Roo or no one", there's not even Maister, and you better hope White comes on rapidly.
I'd be much more comfortable with Longer going and Stanley staying.
I can't stand the thought of watching the ball be continually kicked to Roo vs 3 players every single time, sigh......
Totally agree. We've put 5 years into a 'project', just to trade him as he should be becoming a more consistent player, this seems stupid. So far he's developed just like we really thought he would. Surely we keep him..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

6 years.

Maybe its not as simple as whether hes good or not good. Maybe they have a more sophisticated plan based on list balance and types of player and the modern game etc etc.
I mean I have no idea about this theory- I'm just throwing it out there.

evo
Club Player

Could also join his old coach for thier first rounder.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:How did Port improve just out of interest do people think?

Sitting around hoping for the best (praying) or backing their recruiters and aggressively going after talented youth?
They drafted a whole bunch of talent over 5+ seasons due to pretty crappy performances consistently....
But, those crappy performances didn't result in them getting a whole lot of picks < 5. Quick bit of research on the guts of their side shows this;

Boak - Pick 5 in '06
Gray - 55 in '06
Westoff - 71 in '06
Lobbe - 16 in '07
Hartlett - 4 in '08
Trengove - 22 in '08
Broadbent - 38 in '08
Pittard - 16 in '09
O'Shea - 52 in '10
Wingard - 6 in '11
Wines - 7 in '12

Schulz, Monfries, Ebert, Polec, White from other clubs (don't know what they gave up). Traded for Hombsch to get him home from GWS.

Cornes, Carlile been there since Adam.

Hardly a truckload of high picks. Must be summin else at play....

Maybe they know what they're doing to a) get 'em there and b) get 'em to play?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
jaxons
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:original post requires a queastion mark- as it is only a suggestion at this stage........
Wouldn't be on here as a question mark I assure you!

Ross who?
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
Wouldn't be on here as a question mark I assure you!
So this deal is 100% done Jax?

Blake Acres fan club VIP