New Answers fromFootyFirst/Board Challenge Updates

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

killa_gram
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Might be for "Filling In " too.

However it is pertinent if the person that would appear to be the most capable person on the Saints Ticket is not in facta Saints person????

On the other hand people buy memberships at other Clubs for various reasons. ie Eddie has and that has not stopped him from being a very good President.
Clinton Casey wasn't a Tigers supporter before been made their Pres. I would argue that both his money and time and effort in the job still provided a positive contribution to the Tigers, regardless of who he originally supported. IMO most capable people for the position despite, colour, creed or footy team supported.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

killa_gram wrote:

However it is pertinent if the person that would appear to be the most capable person on the Saints Ticket is not in facta Saints person????

On the other hand people buy memberships at other Clubs for various reasons. ie Eddie has and that has not stopped him from being a very good President.
Clinton Casey wasn't a Tigers supporter before been made their Pres. I would argue that both his money and time and effort in the job still provided a positive contribution to the Tigers, regardless of who he originally supported. IMO most capable people for the position despite, colour, creed or footy team supported.
Interesting viewpoint. I guess nobody would be too bothered if the next President of Coles confessed that, up to now, they had done all their shopping at Woolworths. (But vice versa, might be a bother, as it could potentially indicate poor judgement.) :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

Interesting viewpoint. I guess nobody would be too bothered if the next President of Coles confessed that, up to now, they had done all their shopping at Woolworths. (But vice versa, might be a bother, as it could potentially indicate poor judgement.) :wink:

Your Coles argument is nota good comparison....as the Coles Board Member is fully paid for their time and new commitment.

Whereas a football club board member is a "volunteer"...if they are not their for the love of the club....why are they now willing to donate countless hours???? Hopefully not to gain increased statuts for future expansion of catering interests within the football world.

With Casey....was he a Tigers Supporter or just not a member??? That to me is the important factor.

I think it is relevant to know why people want to be on OUR Board.

So back to Coles...I don't think Shareholders would care where their NEXT Chairman shops now.....but I would imagine that Catholics might care if the next Pope was nota Catholic though!!!! & football is more religion than a business. :wink:
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 12 Sep 2007 4:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

your missing that being a player in the event management area she may have just brought a carlton membership as part of a fundraising event held by Collo/Elliot and couple of months ago?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:your missing that being a player in the event management area she may have just brought a carlton membership as part of a fundraising event held by Collo/Elliot and couple of months ago?
Not really as I had written:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:your missing that being a player in the event management area she may have just brought a carlton membership as part of a fundraising event held by Collo/Elliot and couple of months ago?
Simple Solution
Someone go on the website and ask her how long she has been following/supporting the Saints?

killa_gram
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Your Coles argument is nota good comparison....as the Coles Board Member is fully paid for their time and new commitment.

Whereas a football club board member is a "volunteer"...if they are not their for the love of the club....why are they now willing to donate countless hours???? Hopefully not to gain increased statuts for future expansion of catering interests within the football world.

With Casey....was he a Tigers Supporter or just not a member??? That to me is the important factor.

I think it is relevant to know why people want to be on OUR Board.

So back to Coles...I don't think Shareholders would care where their NEXT Chairman shops now.....but I would imagine that Catholics might care if the next Pope was nota Catholic though!!!! & football is more religion than a business. :wink:
It still doesn't matter imo. People go on boards for two reasons. Either 1. to stroke their ego (read C. Casey, who by the way was not even a Tigers supporter) or 2. to genuinely give something back to the club (Burkey and Thommo), however as long as they are do the hard work on the board and are moving us forward why does it matter who they used to support? As long as they are pulling for us now and getting the job done, I think it is irrelevant whether they have sweated red, white and black, because they sure as hell will be sweating it once they are elected on the board.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

killa_gram wrote:
As long as they are pulling for us now and getting the job done, I think it is irrelevant whether they have sweated red, white and black, because they sure as hell will be sweating it once they are elected on the board.
Because if her reason for getting on is basically a self-vested interest......then they may do things in the future which serves that interest rather than the Saints.

IF she is not a Saints fan....then I would want to know WHY she wants to be on the Board.

Another possibilty is that she appears to be the most well equipped of the alternate Board in terms of background......so she could just be a "temporary" addition to make FootyFirst look better.....and then disappears once they are in.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

We don't question who our players, coaches and officials previously supported. Same for board members.

It's important what skills they bring to the table. As long as they are acting for the club and not their own interest (I take that point), then I don't care who they barracked for originally.

Just because they barrack for St Kilda, doesn't necessarily guarantee they have the club at heart in any case.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dana looks really good...I want her to be the real deal.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:We don't question who our players, coaches and officials previously supported. Same for board members.

It's important what skills they bring to the table. As long as they are acting for the club and not their own interest (I take that point), then I don't care who they barracked for originally.

Just because they barrack for St Kilda, doesn't necessarily guarantee they have the club at heart in any case.
I cannot agree with some of what you imply...the first group these days are all paid professionals.

Board members are "volunteers" and are a different kettle of fish.

I would want to know that she CURRENTLY is Saints supporter...and is not just a "flag of convenience".

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

From Footy First:

“This is a serious challenge from a group of people with a united passion for the St Kilda Football Club.

I think that is pretty clear...if she is not a "passionate" Saints fan....then they are mis-representing themselves.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 12 Sep 2007 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

The club is staffed on match day by mostly volunteers. You think they are going to do any less of a job because they don't get paid and they didn't start out as a St Kilda supporter?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Shaggy
Club Player

I assume Dana has worked closely with one of the FFS ticket before and is very interested in the challenge. Thats how Boards are normally formed.

Once she joins her professional reputation will be on the line ... volunteer or not.

Its a big commitment and I am sure she would not have taken her decision to join lightly.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:The club is staffed on match day by mostly volunteers. You think they are going to do any less of a job because they don't get paid and they didn't start out as a St Kilda supporter?
Are you suggesting that a Filth supporter(for example) volunteers for the Saints on matchdays?

If so, I don't believe it.

Anybody who volunteers for the Saints on any day would surely have to be Saints supporter.

If you're talking about a paid worker then that is totally different. Theya re paid to do a job and it makes no difference who they support as lonf=g as they perform the duties they are being paid for.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:The club is staffed on match day by mostly volunteers. You think they are going to do any less of a job because they don't get paid and they didn't start out as a St Kilda supporter?

I don't care what they started out as (ie like my wife they may have started asa Dons fan asa child but then switched to the Saints)......but if they are not currentlya Saints fan..then YES I would say that they would not do as good a job (and most likely would not be there in the first place)....UNLESS they had some other motivated reason for volunteeering....ie they might be another saints fans partner and do it because of supporting their partner.

I don't really care if Dana has only becomea Saints fan in the last year or two.....but if she is not a Saints fan then she can hardly be said to be sharing a passion for the saints.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:I assume Dana has worked closely with one of the FFS ticket before and is very interested in the challenge. Thats how Boards are normally formed.
Err cough cough.... I thought that "jobs for the boys" was one of the factors that some were saying wasa problem with the current Board.

Now I personally understand that it is fact of life & the way the World works...and has for example led to Gdanski putting Klim onto the Footy First Football Committee". Klim however is a known Saints tragic.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 12 Sep 2007 6:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

K Sheedy bought memberships in EVERY victorian club several years ago and as far as I know still appears on one of the foundation member lists for then saints when they were created around 2000,

I know one radio station checked with Greg Westaway re his memberhsip after the Gardiner and Kennet oversights

as long as they are NOW members and legitimate in their SUPPORT and ability to BENEFIT the board.

re Carlton memberships- I am a skeptic about their ability to increase membership by 7,000 in a year when they finished bottom 3????
is that like tendering for a sponsors dollars with the MAYBE of a company benefit within the deal- Visy??

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Shaggy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Shaggy wrote:I assume Dana has worked closely with one of the FFS ticket before and is very interested in the challenge. Thats how Boards are normally formed.
Err cough cough.... I thought that "jobs for the boys" was one of the factors that some were saying wasa problem with the current Board.

Now I personally understand that it is fact of life & the way the World works...and has for example led to Gdanski putting Lim onto his Football Committee". Klim however is aknown Saints tragic.
Until you have worked with some-one you really do not know what they are like. Working with some-one on a professional scale and being impressed sufficiently to have them on a Board with you is very different to employing staff in key positions from your other work place.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:

Until you have worked with some-one you really do not know what they are like. Working with some-one on a professional scale and being impressed sufficiently to have them on a Board with you is very different to employing staff in key positions from your other work place.

Shagg being of a "profession" myself and having worked on all manner of Boards, Committees and Working Parties myself I am fully aware of that....and am not critical of it.

Some have been work....and some have been as a volunteer. Some I put my hand up for and some I was invited on for my expertise.

However if she is not a passionate Saint (as per the FootyFirst website )the question remains....why is she willing to serve in a voluntary manner on a St Kilda Board.

She should answer this.

If she is a passionate saints fan....if even only for the last year or two then there is no issue.

If her only reason to be there for example is asa favour to westaway....then her loyalty will be to Westaway and NOT to the St Kilda Football Club.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

I don't care what they started out as (ie like my wife they may have started asa Dons fan asa child but then switched to the Saints)......but if they are not currentlya Saints fan..then YES I would say that they would not do as good a job (and most likely would not be there in the first place)....UNLESS they had some other motivated reason for volunteeering....ie they might be another saints fans partner and do it because of supporting their partner

Sorry but that's tosh. I know personally several people who work for the club in a voluntary capacity on match day who do not barrack for the St Kilda, but do a wonderful and professional job.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

UNLESS they had some other motivated reason for volunteeering....ie they might be another saints fans partner and do it because of supporting their partner
SENsaintsational wrote:

Sorry but that's tosh. I know personally several people who work for the club in a voluntary capacity on match day who do not barrack for the St Kilda, but do a wonderful and professional job.
But they must have some reason for volunteering???? Or did they just randomly rock up one day???

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So Westaway rang up Dana...and says...look Dana I know that you are not a Saints fan....but I want you to volunteer to spend 10 /20 hours per week of your limited free time to help run the Saints asa Board member because I could really use your skills.

Are you free for the nest 3 to 5 years???

I am sure it will be a fun hobbie for you. :roll:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:UNLESS they had some other motivated reason for volunteeering....ie they might be another saints fans partner and do it because of supporting their partner
SENsaintsational wrote:

But they must have some reason for volunteering???? Or did they just randomly rock up one day???
They love footy is their primary motivation. Feeling important. Getting into the rooms. Feel part of an AFL club. All that. It's fun.

Aside from that, their supportership of St Kilda or otherwise, is irrelevant to the standard of job they do.

That's my point.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:

They love footy is their primary motivation. Feeling important. Getting into the rooms. Feel part of an AFL club. All that. It's fun.

Aside from that, their supportership of St Kilda or otherwise, is irrelevant to the standard of job they do.

That's my point.
Good so they have a perfectly understandable reason.

However acting asa Board Member is substantially different as it is going to require a huge committment in time and stress.

In addition becoming a Director of a Club also these days imposes various obligations AND risk of various substantial penaties.

So given that....PLUS that members will have to vote on it...what is her perfectly inderstanable reason for wanting to be on the Board? I think it is valid for us to know so that we the members can decide to vote for her or not.

And if I was the person engaging the volunteers that you have mentioned I would have asked them why they wanted to volunteeer...and given your answer I would have been happy to use them.