HARLEY BENNELL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: HARLEY BENNELL

Why do we even need quick fixes?

A long way off yet.

Risks are ok sometimes, perhaps if we were contending with a mature bunch beyond influence...

Bringing in Harley to coexist with a very young developing playing group that probably won't even play finals next year makes zero sense.

Smells to me, will end up at Hawks, Freo, WCE or Swans...someone contending who'll get him cheap suddenly.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Why do we even need quick fixes?

A long way off yet.

Risks are ok sometimes, perhaps if we were contending with a mature bunch beyond influence...

Bringing in Harley to coexist with a very young developing playing group that probably won't even play finals next year makes zero sense.

Smells to me, will end up at Hawks, Freo, WCE or Swans...someone contending who'll get him cheap suddenly.

22 y.o's are not quick fixes.

Club has said too much of a risk.

Hope you all enjoy watching other teams take a risk and win a flag while our meek little club finishes mid table for the next decade.

You are garbage - Enough said
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Agree to disagree with you on this one Bunk. I think your "meek little club" comment is an insult to the very real efforts being made by the administration to achieve success. Perhaps we should let history judge the wisdom (or otherwise) of recruiting talented (but flawed) characters to the club. Personally, I thought the season went well, and have EVERY CONFIDENCE in the current board, coach, CEO and bootstudder! GO SAINTS! (to hell with the rest)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:UNBELIEVABLE! How in God's name could anyone could even contemplate taking a punt on this guy, given the history we have had with such wayward characters. Smacks to me of desperation on the part of some posters. This is a time for CONSIDERED and REASONED recruitment, not a time for (perceived) "quick fixes" Andrew Lovett ring any bells? UNBELIEVABLE!

So you reckon Harly Bennell is going to be accused of rape do you jiggler?

You say Andrew Lovett, I say Michael Gardiner, I also say Mav Weller.

Weller was part of the GC party scene having punch ons with his teammates.

Got flicked got rookied, got on a list and is now in the leadership group.

How anyone can call a 22 year old a quick fix is anyones guess.

As for wayward characters why is Sam Fisher still on the list considering the allegations about his private life?

Also there are still plenty of players on the list that were at Kosi's wedding. Didn't know it snowed in Wodonga.

Please the sanctimonious rubbish about waywardness when we still have players on the list who were dropped for taking drugs in New Zealand.

maybe we should get rid of Jack Steven as well.

Many reasons for not taking Bennell, but enough with the belief our list is full of choirboys.

Anyway it is a moot point, our club is too meek to take a chance so we can all be comfortable with mid table until 2030.

Fluttz
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

A long way off yet.

Hope you all enjoy watching other teams take a risk and win a flag while our meek little club finishes mid table for the next decade.
When has the club publicly come out and said he is too much of a risk? Have I missed something??

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Whatever, Bunk, whatever............................................................. :|

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Our team is full of choir boys?

lol, yeah that's the common belief.

thanks for pointing out how naive we all are, I really thought they were a bunch of angels. I think many of us are aware of things.
my point, is what's the rush?

take risks when we are least resembling something that could do something.

stand by the fact that risks are becoming less fashionable anyways.

hawks last one didn't go so good, neither did Freo, though drafting someone called Colin is always a risk

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:Agree to disagree with you on this one Bunk. I think your "meek little club" comment is an insult to the very real efforts being made by the administration to achieve success. Perhaps we should let history judge the wisdom (or otherwise) of recruiting talented (but flawed) characters to the club. Personally, I thought the season went well, and have EVERY CONFIDENCE in the current board, coach, CEO and bootstudder! GO SAINTS! (to hell with the rest)

It is an insult to me that our club get rolled at every opportunity.

Lets look at this dispassionately.

Saints have done the rebuild correctly without any legups, got rid of favourite sons (for pretty s*** compensation) and traded and recruited really well.

But at the same time other clubs are favoured by the corrupt AFL because the commission want their cash bonuses.

So we have the runner up last year getting the No.1 dp in Heeney for pick 18.

We have GWS who has 27 first round dps getting another top five pick for nothing this year in Hooper. Sydney, a top four team this year gets another top 5 pick for Mills.

Melbourne get a pick #3 for Frawley so they get pick 2 and three, Now we hear Carlton will get pick 1 and 2 and Brisbane 3 and 4 because the AFL want to give them a legup.

Carlton stuffed their trading with #7 for Jachske and #18 for Busthorst but they will get picks 1 and 2 because like Frawley Kruezer is better than Dal Santo and Goddard and Carlton deserve the leg up :roll:

So instead of pick 5 in the draft we are going to get pick 9.

You hear that PICK 9 even though we have won 15.5 games in three years.

We are going to get the ninth best player in the draft.

Carlton get Schache and Wietering, Sydney get another outstanding mid, GWS get an outstanding mid.

This is the situation. We are not going to be able to complete with these clubs.

Get used to mid table for ten years as GWS and GC, then Carlton reap the benefits.

You think it is insulting, I think it is a fact.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Fluttz wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

A long way off yet.

When has the club publicly come out and said he is too much of a risk? Have I missed something??
They wont, they are too busy hiding in a corner in a foetal position.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: drafting someone called Colin is always a risk
lol

stevie
Saintsational Legend

A comment by a Suns fan on their Facebook page on the Harley announcement:

'We'll be the best behaved wooden spooners for the next 5 years'...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote: Carlton get Schache and Wietering, Sydney get another outstanding mid, GWS get an outstanding mid.

This is the situation.
It's very depressing.

Collingwood are building a serious midfield too, Geelong will add Dangerfield, Henderson & Selwood. These are our nearest competitors.

That's why I would like to see us stand up and say "we have a good culture, we can take on a young guy who clearly needs some guidance but could be the best player in the comp"

While people talk up our recruiting, we are going backwards at the moment if you look at the teams around us.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote: Carlton get Schache and Wietering, Sydney get another outstanding mid, GWS get an outstanding mid.

This is the situation.
It's very depressing.

Collingwood are building a serious midfield too, Geelong will add Dangerfield, Henderson & Selwood. These are our nearest competitors.

That's why I would like to see us stand up and say "we have a good culture, we can take on a young guy who clearly needs some guidance but could be the best player in the comp"

While people talk up our recruiting, we are going backwards at the moment if you look at the teams around us.

But don't take a risk dragit, be nice and safe and pick up a kid of good character who can hit a target maybe 50% of the time.

Will fit in beautifully with the rest of the team.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Whatever......................................................................................................................................................

FQF
SS Life Member

I'm with Bunk.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Hearing that there is a bit more about Bennell that is being reported.

Maybe too much of a risk is not just rhetoric this time...........

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Avoiding eye contact, walking backwards...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

None of us know about any of these blokes up for trade.

It can be fun picking up on bits and pieces from people on footy forums who claim to be in the know. Interesting yes; but I wouldn't hitch myself to any of that stuff.

Trout, Bains and Co are actually in the know.

Happy to let them do their job, even if it sometimes it seems to be a little conservative to some.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:None of us know about any of these blokes up for trade.

It can be fun picking up on bits and pieces from people on footy forums who claim to be in the know. Interesting yes; but I wouldn't hitch myself to any of that stuff.

Trout, Bains and Co are actually in the know.

Happy to let them do their job, even if it sometimes it seems to be a little conservative to some.

That's all it is Dr.

But Harley wont be a Saints, you can bet on that (but maybe only $5)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WHATEVER............................................................................................................... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Agree to disagree with you on this one Bunk. I think your "meek little club" comment is an insult to the very real efforts being made by the administration to achieve success. Perhaps we should let history judge the wisdom (or otherwise) of recruiting talented (but flawed) characters to the club. Personally, I thought the season went well, and have EVERY CONFIDENCE in the current board, coach, CEO and bootstudder! GO SAINTS! (to hell with the rest)

It is an insult to me that our club get rolled at every opportunity.

Lets look at this dispassionately.

Saints have done the rebuild correctly without any legups, got rid of favourite sons (for pretty s*** compensation) and traded and recruited really well.

But at the same time other clubs are favoured by the corrupt AFL because the commission want their cash bonuses.

So we have the runner up last year getting the No.1 dp in Heeney for pick 18.

We have GWS who has 27 first round dps getting another top five pick for nothing this year in Hooper. Sydney, a top four team this year gets another top 5 pick for Mills.

Melbourne get a pick #3 for Frawley so they get pick 2 and three, Now we hear Carlton will get pick 1 and 2 and Brisbane 3 and 4 because the AFL want to give them a legup.

Carlton stuffed their trading with #7 for Jachske and #18 for Busthorst but they will get picks 1 and 2 because like Frawley Kruezer is better than Dal Santo and Goddard and Carlton deserve the leg up :roll:

So instead of pick 5 in the draft we are going to get pick 9.

You hear that PICK 9 even though we have won 15.5 games in three years.

We are going to get the ninth best player in the draft.

Carlton get Schache and Wietering, Sydney get another outstanding mid, GWS get an outstanding mid.

This is the situation. We are not going to be able to complete with these clubs.

Get used to mid table for ten years as GWS and GC, then Carlton reap the benefits.

You think it is insulting, I think it is a fact.
That's depressing, but true.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

May as well just pack up and go home then?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:May as well just pack up and go home then?
No, you can either accept that we will be mediocre or do something about it.

Carlisle would be a start, Bennell would be an undoubted risk, but if he came off it would be the coup of the decade.

Still whispers that we are into Kelly from GWS but with Treloar off to the filth, seems remote.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

whooa whooa whooa
hang on a f****** min
carlton are getting one and two and brisbane are getting 3 and 4?

what da hell?!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bunk, It's not a matter of us "accepting that we are going to be mediocre" that's just your opinion, and as they say, every one of us has one, I just don't happen to agree with yours Bunk. This season WAS an improvement on last year. I don't see 2015 as being "mediocre" at all. On the contrary, it was (IMHO) a solid year of improvement on 2014 and certainly better than 2013 for all manner of reasons. The results in 2015 were what they were at the end of the day, we have to accept them, they're on the record. Does that make me "happy to accept them" of course not! I lost count of the posters on here who, pre-season, had us down for less than three wins (or worse) I'm prepared to give this coaching panel and football department the respect of them knowing their job. Part of the strategy of building a successful club is to win sponsors and to bring in revenue, to do this the club has to be seen to be recruiting players of good character OFF the field as well as on it. As I say, you have your opinion, I have mine. I happen to think that Richo and Finnis as well as the board ARE as you said "doing something about it" I just happen to think they are capable of doing it without punting on someone like Bennell.