Carlisle ban?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlisle ban?

Surely our contract is voidable by certain misdemeanours? in the same way we booted Lovett. First off should've not got him, secondly, pulled out immediately after the coke fiasco, thirdly ,late to training' - there's an excuse i've hear before. Fourthly, he is found to be a drug cheat. Fifth - he's out for a year and left to his own devices.
Cut him! One of the most overrated players in the game - got the right ability, got the right body, ain't got the right attitude.
I fear we've undone a fair bit of our good trading and drafting this season with he and Freeman. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Surely our contract is voidable by certain misdemeanours? in the same way we booted Lovett. First off should've not got him, secondly, pulled out immediately after the coke fiasco, thirdly ,late to training' - there's an excuse i've hear before. Fourthly, he is found to be a drug cheat. Fifth - he's out for a year and left to his own devices.
Cut him! One of the most overrated players in the game - got the right ability, got the right body, ain't got the right attitude.
I fear we've undone a fair bit of our good trading and drafting this season with he and Freeman. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.
Yep fingers crossed you are dead wrong. What do the recruiters and coach know. I mean they're the ones that wanted the players. God help us if they didn't have a say.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, Hawthorn have a good record with their recruits. Their strike rate is very impressive and they wanted Jake. I agree with the mighty desertsaint that it was an intemperate gamble, given the likelihood of a ban - I didn't want us to trade a pick for him, but he is going to be a very player for us in a position which we need filling. We got Gresham as well, don't forget, and Freeman is the type of player we desperately need also. I would say it is very good list management. Jake is not going to risk losing his livelihood and he now gets the opportunity to get over his knee tendonitis. Freeman might have to do a modified program this year to get his body right, but it doesn't matter in 2016 because we were always going to be a bottom 4 side this year anyway, which means we'll get pick 4 or 5 in the draft again. I think we are also a good chance to get Hurley at the end of his suspension, given he has been linked to club discussions in the past and has a massive Saints barracking family.
We are going to win a few games this year based on where other clubs are at and our fixture which sees us play Carlton twice, Bombers twice, Melbourne twice (both at Etihad!) and the Brisbane Lions here for the first time in years. Based on that if we win 7 games this year I will be satisfied. Can't really see us beating anybody else given th e weakness across the half-back line and the ease with which sides really open us up and score heavily against us, but there is always a possibility of an upset if a good side have injuries or in poor form. I would back us in to beat the Gold Coast Suns without Ablett, for example - even up there.
Hopefully we see plenty of Billings, Sinclair, Lonie and Goddard this year, and they can play out the season. Be good to get Billings to a 30 gamer by the end of 2016. I would also like to see the club persevere with Lee in a defensive role and play Delaney at full back when Goddard is being rested. It give us the opportunity to ascertain whether thos etwo have a future with us.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Surely our contract is voidable by certain misdemeanours? in the same way we booted Lovett. First off should've not got him, secondly, pulled out immediately after the coke fiasco, thirdly ,late to training' - there's an excuse i've hear before. Fourthly, he is found to be a drug cheat. Fifth - he's out for a year and left to his own devices.
Yep fingers crossed you are dead wrong. What do the recruiters and coach know. I mean they're the ones that wanted the players. God help us if they didn't have a say.
Recruiters and coaches also get it wrong - more often than not unfortunately. The current crop have been an improvement, but are hardly going to get it right all the time.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Recruiters and coaches also get it wrong - more often than not unfortunately. The current crop have been an improvement, but are hardly going to get it right all the time.
What makes the fans right apart from all the different views that they give where eventually one will be right.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Well, Hawthorn have a good record with their recruits. Their strike rate is very impressive and they wanted Jake. .
Says who? Dodoro and Jay Clarke? There is absolutely no independent and verifiable evidence that Hawthorn wanted Jake. I simply dont believe they ever did. This was a rumour put out by Dodoro to sucker us into giving pick 5. And it worked.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, we can get Hurley or Hooker for free at the end of the year if we want. They can walk for nothing - the AFL said so. It's a shame we didn't play hardball, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was against trading for Jake at the time, but I think 200cm defenders don't grow on trees. I choose to see the silver lining as being that Lee and Delaney will get their chance to play down back. Those two will get their opportunity. If they don't, forget the Carlisle trade, using the high pick for Lee will be seen as a disaster.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Well, Hawthorn have a good record with their recruits. Their strike rate is very impressive and they wanted Jake. .
Says who? Dodoro and Jay Clarke? There is absolutely no independent and verifiable evidence that Hawthorn wanted Jake. I simply dont believe they ever did. This was a rumour put out by Dodoro to sucker us into giving pick 5. And it worked.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 6bb464797e

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
I though it fact Clarkson jumped him at his hotel in the USA?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
I though it fact Clarkson jumped him at his hotel in the USA?
Yeah I think it was pretty confirmed that Clarkson got his US address from Essendon and just rocked up to put the hard word on him. Which was a betrayal of the code of letting players try to get to where they want to get to before stepping in if it breaks down. But thats Clarkson, a ruthless SOB.

Really if you sat down and scripted something to be as deliberately bad as possible, you couldn't have come up with anything worse than how its all gone with Jake since recruiting him. If you want to paint it in a darker hue, should we even have tried to recruit someone who was under an investigation for systematic doping? Where are our principles there? If you get in bed with the devil, then don't be surprised if you get f&*ked.

If Gresham can do a Lonie/Sinclair and break into the firsts this year I'll feel a lot better about the Jake trade. I don't believe the "we would have taken Gresham at 5" theory. But I do believe they rated Gresham highly and thought him with pick 14 and Carlisle was a coup compared to what they could get in the draft with pick 5 and our second rounder. And sounds like Gresham is hitting all the marks so far.

Now we've really just got to cross our fingers that Jake can stay out of trouble for the next 10 months (and he might be able to come back to training earlier if granted permission I think I read). Maybe he should not come to the Saints games for a bit until all the heat goes out of it. Otherwise the camera is just going to focus on him all the time giving the commentators the chance to dredge everything up and trash our brand.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

And if Lee can reward our faith in him by becoming a defender through necessity that is a massive plus. A lot of very perceptive posters on this site believe that Lee can become our next Bob Murray! I am going to be following the progress of Hickey and Lee very closely as the club used high draft picks for them and it can take a bit longer for the taller players to develop. These two players (along with Seb Ross) are very important for our side's continued improvement. If the three of them have good seasons we should see some progress this year.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
What makes the fans right apart from all the different views that they give where eventually one will be right.
Absolutely nothing - I'd wager fans get it wrong a fair bit more often. But to offer and read differing opinion is why we're here.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Jake doing it tough obviously https://twitter.com/jcarlisle22/status/ ... 9166944256
Jake CarlisleVerified account
‏@jcarlisle22
Day 1 producing an absolute Blockbuster watching Serena Vs Giorgi on Rod Laver area. Get yours at @ticketblasterau

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:Jake doing it tough obviously https://twitter.com/jcarlisle22/status/ ... 9166944256
‏@jcarlisle22
Day 1 producing an absolute Blockbuster watching Serena Vs Giorgi on Rod Laver area. Get yours at @ticketblasterau

You have probably knocked him enough. What should he be doing?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Jake doing it tough obviously https://twitter.com/jcarlisle22/status/ ... 9166944256
‏@jcarlisle22

You have probably knocked him enough. What should he be doing?
'
Couldn't he twitter a photo of himself doing some pushups just to shut us critics up? #keepinginshape #2017hereicome #imnothavingfunipromise

Could we all take turns twittering him a daily exercise routine? Or would that contravene the ban? I feel like he might need a bit of support and these kids all love hashtags
#giveme20crunches #30pushupslikeyoumeanit #noplaystationuntilmorningjog #ifyouvegottimetogotothetennisyouvegottimetodo50chinupspicforproof

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Is ticketblaster some kind of dodgy scalping company?

Surely the best place to get tickets would be the guys who sell them - ticketek…

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Is ticketblaster some kind of dodgy scalping company?

Surely the best place to get tickets would be the guys who sell them - ticketek…
There's quite a few companies on-selling tickets these days. Jake obvs getting a nice little complimentary package. Maybe he's working for them? Would be good if he got a part-time job or did some study. Keep his nose out of mischief. He's probably spending a fair bit of time with lawyers making sure Essendon stump up for any lost salary as a minimum. I wonder if we'll hear what we've agreed to pay him this year - if anything.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-26/r ... -drugs-ban
Given the journey we are on, we've now got this bloke for one year longer on the back-end … it could actually turn out to be a bit of a positive," Richardson told AFL.com.au.
Get your hand off it Richo. I'm happy for you to get the silver linings playbook out, but now its a positive?? So you would have given him the year off anyway because it would have been such a positve? Off course not. He's need to be playing to develop and form a tight back six that all premiership coaches talk about. Hey maybe we should give Armo and Steven this year off too to "extend their careers".

I don't think the year off will extend anything. Your ageing doesn't magically stop just because you are not playing AFL footy. I actually worry he will not get the technical know-how about his knee the club could have coordinated. Bit sick of this "head in the sand" crap with Carlisle. Its not a good thing he is rubbed out for a year. Stop trying to make it a "postive". Happy for people to find some silver linings, but "its a positive", really? Do they think we are 6 years old and can pat us on the head and tell us everything is good? Very patronising.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

It is what it is Bluthy. What do you want him to say? Clubs will only send out positive spins. Not just ours. It's what they do.

You're nieve if you think the club wont be all over what he's doing this year. His injury management and training regime will be either set, or known and agreed to by the club. Don't worry about CAS has said, the club will make sure Jake is doing the right thing. It will happen.

The extra time off to get his knee right might well be a positive for his prolonged future. It's not a rediculous statement. We'd prefer him playing, but unfortunately now that's not an option.

8856brother wrote:It is what it is Bluthy. What do you want him to say? Clubs will only send out positive spins. Not just ours. It's what they do.

You're nieve if you think the club wont be all over what he's doing this year. His injury management and training regime will be either set, or known and agreed to by the club. Don't worry about CAS has said, the club will make sure Jake is doing the right thing. It will happen.

The extra time off to get his knee right might well be a positive for his prolonged future. It's not a ridiculous statement. We'd prefer him playing, but unfortunately now that's not an option.
Positive spin or a fair bit of ass-covering from Richo? I think Richo pushed very, very hard to get Jake - he was constantly talking up Jake and had the Essendon connection - and convinced the club to roll the dice that has come up snake eyes. So cop it on the chin Richo. -

And they need to be very, very, very careful with how and how much they communicate with Jake in this suspension period. WADA/ASADA are going to keep a very close eye on these players to ensure sanctions are enforced as this was such a high profile, pioneering case in Australia. They would love a chance to go WHACK and reinforce their authority. Jake is probably the last person on the list we would want to be in this situation. He's proven to be impulsive and not particularly disciplined. Will he be self-directed enough to proactively manage his knee properly? Knees tend not to just get better by themselves but need a lot of specialist care - ask Roo. Jake won't have close to the same level of coordination and central expertise from the club to keep it going forward.

the dome
Club Player

G R E S H A M

I'm still quietly confident about our landing of Gresham.
He doesn't look bad at all for a blues supporter. Seriously though If he is made of the right stuff I don't mind waiting a year or 2 for the Gres to claim his spot Bluthy.
Samurai i'll be doing the same (ie) scrutinising Big Boy Hickey & Seve Ross and hoping they continue growing into the game whether it's in leaps & bounds (the preferred option) or just consistently improving at a more gradual pace.
I can't say much about Lee accept for wishing him all the best for his & our future. :)

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
8856brother wrote:It is what it is Bluthy. What do you want him to say? Clubs will only send out positive spins. Not just ours. It's what they do.

The extra time off to get his knee right might well be a positive for his prolonged future. It's not a ridiculous statement. We'd prefer him playing, but unfortunately now that's not an option.
Positive spin or a fair bit of ass-covering from Richo? I think Richo pushed very, very hard to get Jake - he was constantly talking up Jake and had the Essendon connection - and convinced the club to roll the dice that has come up snake eyes. So cop it on the chin Richo. -

And they need to be very, very, very careful with how and how much they communicate with Jake in this suspension period. WADA/ASADA are going to keep a very close eye on these players to ensure sanctions are enforced as this was such a high profile, pioneering case in Australia. They would love a chance to go WHACK and reinforce their authority. Jake is probably the last person on the list we would want to be in this situation. He's proven to be impulsive and not particularly disciplined. Will he be self-directed enough to proactively manage his knee properly? Knees tend not to just get better by themselves but need a lot of specialist care - ask Roo. Jake won't have close to the same level of coordination and central expertise from the club to keep it going forward.
Agree we need to be careful about how we communicate with Jake, but the club will sort it out. I've got no doubt. Jake will get all the attention he needs, both physically and mentally.

Jake will be a good player for us Bluthy. Just try to be positive about it. I know you're not a big fan. Let's see how Jake is going in 3-4 years time when hopefully we are contending and we can judge him, the club and Richo's decision with a bit more clarity.

Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Is ticketblaster some kind of dodgy scalping company?

this one must have worked hard to get AFL player connections- I noticed Rhys Stanley used the same company

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote: Agree we need to be careful about how we communicate with Jake, but the club will sort it out. I've got no doubt. Jake will get all the attention he needs, both physically and mentally.

Jake will be a good player for us Bluthy. Just try to be positive about it. I know you're not a big fan. Let's see how Jake is going in 3-4 years time when hopefully we are contending and we can judge him, the club and Richo's decision with a bit more clarity.
I'm neither a fan nor not a fan of Jake - haven't seen enough of him to really judge. And what I'm talking about here with respecting fans with the truth has nothing to do with how Jake goes in the future or if it was a good trade or not. Is "trying to be positive" your thing 8856? Do you keep a gratitude journal? Do you watch Oprah and are trying to manifest abundance in your destiny? Best of luck with that. I'm neither positive or negative. Things are as they are and there is no point denying it.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
8856brother wrote: Agree we need to be careful about how we communicate with Jake, but the club will sort it out. I've got no doubt. Jake will get all the attention he needs, both physically and mentally.

I'm neither a fan nor not a fan of Jake - haven't seen enough of him to really judge. And what I'm talking about here with respecting fans with the truth has nothing to do with how Jake goes in the future or if it was a good trade or not. Is "trying to be positive" your thing 8856? Do you keep a gratitude journal? Do you watch Oprah and are trying to manifest abundance in your destiny? Best of luck with that. I'm neither positive or negative. Things are as they are and there is no point denying it.

You cared about photo at the tennis. I think anyone can guess what side you are on.