Match Thread Saints v Giants Round 1 2021

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Giants Round 1 2021

perfectionist wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:31pm I thought the umpiring was OK. On the last decision, because there was a prior opportunity, the player only had to be "legally tackled" for it to be holding the ball. The question is, was it a slight grab rather than a push? If it was a push, no free. Slight grab - correct decision. The position of the umpire may have made it look more of a tackle than it was. The previous free was soft, so this may have been a square up softie. In any event, we won by more than a goal.
Play on was called very quickly as well - excuse given that he was trying to ice the game - I would think that the 30 second rule when kicking for goal should be applied identically in the first 2 minutes or the last 2 minutes.

Oh - and if they thought he had no chance of kicking the goal therefore the 30 seconds should not apply - HE KICKED IT

I have seen more time wasting than Butler.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:44pm
The Billings Method wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:28pm Tayla Harris has a statue in her honour in the precincts of the MCG. She joins the likes of Miller, Lillee, Bartlett et. Al. For one kick which she was trolled for. Forget about the great athletes of the past. Give it to a nobody who's never achieved anything but being trolled for a "pose. Good grief!
I think you are a sad excuse ....

In Victoria there are 9 statues of women representing 1.5% of all statues, but hey you want to suppress them more

The statue of Harris was done as generalisation of women’s footy (it just happened to be her amazing kick that was the model)

Your women family and friends must be very proud of you
Yep, a statue (artwork) commissioned by a bank still has all the MRA heroes in a tizz two years on!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Crossy66
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:38pm Yes that decision was controversial

However don’t forget we were still in front at the time

There was 1.10 on the clock with a (if the free wasn’t paid) disputed ball in the forward line. GWS would have needed a quick clearing kick and a lot of luck to go coast to coast in 70 seconds

They might have been a 5% chance to do that

Fqf
This is spot on. The commentary made it sound like it was the reason we won the game. Interestingly the two closest players when the ball spilt were both saints, so likely result a shot on goal by Gresham.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:14pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:33pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:08pm Elani is absolutely incompetent and should never officiate in an AFL game again in my humble opinion.

She is not a cheat, just absolutely incompetent and over offciates.
Not surprising though.
How so?
Do you think her position is affirmative action?
I was refering to your over officiating comment. It’s obviously a contentious point, but from my experience, it's true.

I don't think she's a great umpire and I think her appointment is probably ideological.

Having said that, AFL is a very difficult game to umpire and we probably apply confirmation bias to many of her decisions.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:34pm
roskilde wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:24pm
perfectionist wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:20pm
roskilde wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:34pm
It was an incorrect disposal if it wasn't holding the ball.

Either way it was an infraction and we got a justified free kick.
No, you are wrong. Both holding the ball and incorrect disposal rely on a "legal tackle" first. If it was a "legal tackle" then it was holding the ball. If it wasn't a "legal tackle", that is, a push that was legal, then there was no free, but play on.
No, you're wrong.

Relevant law:

(d) a Player [shall not be ruled holding the ball], whilst in the act of Correctly Disposing of the football, is swung off-balance and does not make contact with the football by either foot or hand, unless the Player has had a prior opportunity to Correctly Dispose of the football, in which case Law 15.2.3 (a) shall apply

The Giant player had prior opportunity as Eleni herself made clear and disposed of the ball incorrectly.
Nope, the part of the rule that you quote actually supports what I said. For either holding the ball, or incorrect disposal, the player must be legally tackled. If a player is out on his own somewhere, and drops the ball, it is not a free. But anyway, 99% of supporters have no idea of the rules so why should you be any different.
Fair play I'm wrong on that one.

Good to see a bad decision go the way of the Saints.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
realdeal
Club Player

The Billings Method wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 7:28pm Tayla Harris has a statue in her honour in the precincts of the MCG. She joins the likes of Miller, Lillee, Bartlett et. Al. For one kick which she was trolled for. Forget about the great athletes of the past. Give it to a nobody who's never achieved anything but being trolled for a "pose. Good grief!

In Victoria there are 9 statues of women representing 1.5% of all statues, but hey you want to suppress them more

The statue of Harris was done as generalisation of women’s footy (it just happened to be her amazing kick that was the model)

I dare say someone like Cathy Freeman would've been more appropriate then...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 8:00pm
perfectionist wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:31pm I thought the umpiring was OK. On the last decision, because there was a prior opportunity, the player only had to be "legally tackled" for it to be holding the ball. The question is, was it a slight grab rather than a push? If it was a push, no free. Slight grab - correct decision. The position of the umpire may have made it look more of a tackle than it was. The previous free was soft, so this may have been a square up softie. In any event, we won by more than a goal.
Play on was called very quickly as well - excuse given that he was trying to ice the game - I would think that the 30 second rule when kicking for goal should be applied identically in the first 2 minutes or the last 2 minutes.

Oh - and if they thought he had no chance of kicking the goal therefore the 30 seconds should not apply - HE KICKED IT

.Free Kicks

GWS
Saints

More than double the free kicks is not f****** OK umpiring. :roll: :roll: :roll:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 8:56pm

.Free Kicks

Match
Match

More than double the free kicks is not f****** OK umpiring. :roll: :roll: :roll:
particularly when we were in front for most of the match - and first to the ball for most of the game too. Should not have been that one sided. LOL at the press gallery asking Ratten what he thought of the Butler free! - Butler was going to win the ball in that contest anyway.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

GWS 29 - 14 STK free kicks....

FFS the Butler free didn't cost them the game! Secondly, GWS were gifted shots on goal from dodgy frees. Thirdly, if Butler's tackle was in the middle of the ground no one would care, this kind of tackle happens plenty of times a week and gets paid, only being a shot on goal in the last minute comes more scrutiny.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 5:49pm goal of the round lonie!
Early contender for goal of the year. Left foot over the shoulder from that angle. Can’t believe he kicked it

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Match Summary
Difficult and wet conditions and missing players didn't help, nor did the umpiring, but we toughed out a win, banked the 4 points, and we move on. Straight kicking for goal also helped

Giants 11.12.78 def by St Kilda 13.8.86

Free Kicks Giants 30, Saints 14

Question: Does the dud actually barrack for St Kilda or not? Because it doesn't appear so from all of their negative comments all the time.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:08pm Elani is absolutely incompetent and should never officiate in an AFL game again in my humble opinion.

She is not a cheat, just absolutely incompetent and over offciates.
Great call
She’s not alone in being ordinary but she looks out of her depth for mine
The call against Steele’s magnificent bone crunching tackle was a joke
Sorry I don’t care if your name is Elani or Barry if your shyte house you need to go

“Yeah….nah””
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I don't think that's what happened, but I didn't have the advantage on seeing the shot clock (why don't they put that on the screen?). From what I heard, he waited until the 30 seconds was up before he ran in to take his kick. If you run in with 2 seconds to go, then it won't be play on. If the shot clock had not gone to zero before he started his run, then the umpire was wrong to call play on. There is no such thing as wasting time in this circumstance since he was well within the 50 metre arc. That's why the shot clock was introduced.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I am just going to say one thing - can't believe I am saying this but - Toby Greene is an absolute superstar.
He's matured as a player and an absolute jet. he doesn't play today - we win by 6 goals.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 21 Mar 2021 10:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 10:12pm I am just going to say one thing - can't believe I am saying this but - Toby Green is an absolute superstar.
He's matured as a player and an absolute jet. he doesn't play today - we win by 6 goals.
Yeah agree
I dislike him a lot
But everytime he touched the ball something happened for them
He’s class

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 10:01pm Match Summary
Difficult and wet conditions and missing players didn't help, nor did the umpiring, but we toughed out a win, banked the 4 points, and we move on. Straight kicking for goal also helped

Question: Does the dud actually barrack for St Kilda or not? Because it doesn't appear so from all of their negative comments all the time.
What are you talking about? I was basically the only one cheering when the umpires were gifting us goal after goal!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 10:15pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 10:12pm I am just going to say one thing - can't believe I am saying this but - Toby Green is an absolute superstar.
Yeah agree
I dislike him a lot
But everytime he touched the ball something happened for them
He’s class
Ripping player - and doesn't do a lot of the undisciplined things anymore. Matured as a player. Respect.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 10:15pm
Jacks Back wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 10:01pm Match Summary

What are you talking about? I was basically the only one cheering when the umpires were gifting us goal after goal!
I think Jack has a point there.

Premium89
Club Player

And how good is the new “no moving on the mark” rule? No rule change, and Seb doesn’t kick that crucial one late in the game...

Fugazi1966
Club Player

GWS are a team packed with A grade talent.
I think that win should be considered up there with Adelaide's effort vs Geelong.

We had at least 6 of our starting line up out.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Just a gutsy superb effort those win become gold late in a season that could be tricky for us

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 10:48pm Just a gutsy superb effort those win become gold late in a season that could be tricky for us
yep, have a feeling those 4 points will be very important come seasons end.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

8 point game today.

Critical.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Billings Method
Club Player

Beautifully put, you sad excuse for a virtue signalling goose. Well done. She really deserved that statue. Right up there with Betty Cuthbert, Shirley Jackson etc. for her achievements which amounts to her forgetting to put on her underpants prior to kicking for goal. Well done.

Worthy of a statue with the likes of Cuthbert, Jackson, Fraser et Al. Maybe there are 9 statues because their achievements are justified by their efforts. Like forgetting to put on her panties prior to playing. My women are worthy and proud of me. They hate pathetic cuck, virtue signalling dirt like you who demean women with your condescending crap.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Linton Street Saint wrote: Sun 21 Mar 2021 6:02pm If I put in an effort like Hill defensively in club footy I wouldn't get another game for the year.
One glaring negative that has continued from last year - is Hill's lack of a defensive game or willingness to commit physically to any contests whatsoever.

Ratts needs to address this with him, as it is just not good enough for a player of his seniority and salary to show those efforts. It sets really poor standards for the guys that are busting their boilers and committing themselves when Hill doesnt.