Official Match Day Thread - Vs GCS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Official Match Day Thread - Vs GCS

degruch wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
degruch wrote:
We were short 4 of our starting 22, but shouldn't make the difference between a 95 point victory and 13 point loss..
Suns were short of their starting 22 too.
Bock and Brown...the rest of my point stands.
Nice that you missed Trent McKenzie and Tom Lynch.

If you are using out players as an excuse you are grasping at straws.

With the team we had in we needled to win well, rather than play like a rabble and lose. We were by and large dreadful all night in HOW we played.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 30 Mar 2013 10:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
degruch
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
degruch wrote: Right here...top 6 at the very least. Seriously, an astute football follower would have the Saints up there at the start of the season...we lost to Port this time last year and were unlucky not to be top 4, let alone miss the finals in 2012!
WTF, I guess you are being funny.

1 WIN AGAINST ALL TOP 8 SIDES LAST YEAR
Yeah, bit unlucky...stretch your memory, watch a few replays, you'll find I'm right...as per usual.

Anyway, if I'm being funny, what are you being?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Umpiring was effing woeful, but we were worse. That effort was insipid and we were all simply blind to the fact that that team is nowhere near finals standard based on tonights efforts!

I get that we were 3 talls short down back, but we had a full strength fwdline and were pathetic. Of course we will be stronger down back and with Joey back in but thats no excuse for that display.

A preseason of praccie matches playing in the sun didn't help, but no more excuses. We just aren't good enough.
i reckon it was more our midfield than back line that cost us....and we only have joey to come back to help in the midfield...and we played the 17 placed side from last year.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
degruch wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Bock and Brown...the rest of my point stands.
Nice that you missed Trent McKenzie and Tom Lynch.

If you are using out players as an excuse you are grasping at straws.

Wit the team we had in we needled to win well, rather than play like a rabble and lose.
I suggest you go back and read my post ol' tube.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Getting our best backs back will help.

But our midfield got absolutely pumped. Joey will not in himself make that big a difference.

We played well for one quarter out of 4 = repeated our PA mistake of last year by going to sleep in the season opener.

We now stat the season like last year, dropping a game we should have won to start the season behind the 8 ball.

Not a lot to be positive about with a performance like that against a team likely to be in the bottom 8.

Will now start the season with a lot of deserved arse-kicking rather than a confidence building win.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I said the knives would be out after losing to that rabble....and they are definitely out :lol:
Last edited by bobmurray on Sat 30 Mar 2013 11:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
desperate saint
Club Player

Midfield just not up to it >end of story

Desperate Saint
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: I suggest you go back and read my post ol' tube.
No need...my FIRST reply was..
saintsRrising wrote:
Suns were short of their starting 22 too.

We were crap. Pure and simple. There is no hiding from it, and no excuses.
You then listed 2 outs for the Suns when their injury/suspension list was a lot bigger than 2.

I am not going to grasp at any straws like players out, humidity etc as were were quite simply dreadful. Apart from Gablett the Suns were not that good either, which makes our performance even less meritorious.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
dragit wrote:
degruch wrote: Right here...top 6 at the very least. Seriously, an astute football follower would have the Saints up there at the start of the season...we lost to Port this time last year and were unlucky not to be top 4, let alone miss the finals in 2012!
WTF, I guess you are being funny.

1 WIN AGAINST ALL TOP 8 SIDES LAST YEAR
Yeah, bit unlucky...stretch your memory, watch a few replays, you'll find I'm right...as per usual.

Stretch my memory, how can we be unlucky to miss the top 4 after beating only 1 top 8 side?
If that is your idea of being right, I fear what happens when you are wrong.

kalsaint
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:hope our 2nd quarters are better this year
Good point. I'd forgotten about that last year.

Early days still but the signs aren't good. We look really flat. Our defence is terribly inexperienced.
Looks like the second was our near "saving grace". I say that because without it the margin could have been + 40.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
degruch
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
degruch wrote:
dragit wrote:

Stretch my memory, how can we be unlucky to miss the top 4 after beating only 1 top 8 side?
Short bench saw us fall short against the Roos, Eagles and second game against the Swans, after that we lost about half a dozen games by less than 2 goals, including some howlers like the Collingwood game.

Having said the same thing last season, this says it all:

"It's not often a team wins 12 games, loses another five by 13 points or less, finishes ninth on the ladder, then gets so completely overlooked in final eight speculation the following pre-season it's as if it ceased to exist.

Bright future: St Kilda coach Scott Watters and captain Nick Riewoldt. Photo: Getty Images
Remember St Kilda? It was a kick away from two premierships a couple of years back.
Advertisement
Played in four straight finals series. And last season made short work of eventual premier Sydney."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... z2P1XRTiwF

Left fairly open ended...tonight didn't look like a great omen, but at least it wasn't as bad as losing to Port last season!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
We beat the Premiers and that has to count for something. :roll:
Last edited by SaintPav on Sat 30 Mar 2013 11:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vazelos
Club Player

Mid field was smashed in the 2nd half, we looked tired, old & slow. I expect some serious trading for an A Grader next season.

saints66
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:Did we train over the summer, sorry, but they look so unfit and slow, again no friggin forwards who can take marks, haven't seen Maister since the 2nd quarter, have hardly seen Milne, Dal Santo, this is poorest start to a season I've seen for a long time, my optism has nose dived.
]]d.\,

Don't be so hard on the lads as they had to get over the jet lag from the junket to America.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Should be sponsored by Myki.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stevie
Saintsational Legend

I had noticed all Pre-season that I wasn't in footy mode yet. Thought it was a hangover from the intense passion I invested in following the Niners to the Super Bowl.

It was like I was loathe to leave the great NFL presentation of top commentary and was dreading going back to the woeful experience that AFL TV has become as a whole package.

When you have to have the volume down in Round I of every TV game, there's something seriously wrong. I'm sick of seeing ads for other non football related rubbish shows being rammed down our throats. Am sick of seeing d grade 'celebrities' being interviewed by gushing players.

And the final straw has become the garbage served up by the fuckwits who run the game. This new sliding rule, the hands in the back, etc. I feel so sorry for the players now. I'm tempted to feel sorry for the umpires - I have coined a new word for them: FUCKWHISTLES - as they are only following orders but they love the attention on a weekly basis.

None of this is sour grapes from last night. Would've felt the same if we had've won. I watched the Dogs/Lions game yesty and felt no passion at all or real interest.

So I'm not gonna watch any other footy games for the rest of the year. Will keep tabs on the Saints, watch them when they are on telly but any other s***? Not interested. Normally I would watch Geelong v Dawks tomorrow, big game, two good teams, the mystique of the curse, etc. but I can't f***ed so I won't!

Once we didn't make the 8 last year, the season ended for me. Watched zero of the finals. Couldn't have cared less. The fact that Shitney won made me ill.

Someone mentioned the pain of 09/10 surfacing. True. This post has nothing to do with the Saints performance last night. We'll get better and win a few games. Round 1, rusty still, playing away, etc. I'd be more concerned if I was the Lions or blues

Anyway that's it for now.

RIP AFL. Our once great game has gone.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Seriously? I love the nfl but they change the rules and have far more intricate rulings that require slow motion replays

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintsRrising wrote:Getting our best backs back will help.

But our midfield got absolutely pumped. Joey will not in himself make that big a difference.

We played well for one quarter out of 4 = repeated our PA mistake of last year by going to sleep in the season opener.

We now stat the season like last year, dropping a game we should have won to start the season behind the 8 ball.

Not a lot to be positive about with a performance like that against a team likely to be in the bottom 8.

Will now start the season with a lot of deserved arse-kicking rather than a confidence building win.
The midfield is exactly why i said we will get whacked by richmond ~ they have a pretty good midfield unit now
We had 8 players with 100 games+ they had 4 but its the top end of our elite matures that are starting to hurt
Milne cant possibly keep doing what he has in the past
Roo will have the tables turned fitness wise and defenders will start to burn him off
Lenny the warrior is dragging a torn up body out there each week
we finally have a new bunch of kids that have shown something but until they get 50 games into them its too early to say

Seeya