I took banned drug: Watson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: I took banned drug: Watson

Trav, not sure about precedent in terms of punishing team doping but ASADA and WADA have the ability to ban whole teams if 2 or more athletes from that team are found guilty of doping. It's a very realistic scenario that Essendon are cut from competition for an amount of time as they fit the criteria. The AFL would hate and would not hand down that punishment however who says WADA don't push for that punishment. This systematic team doping which potentially includes 38 athletes and staff would be considered one of the biggest cases of doping on an international level. Scary stuff for Essendon.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Essendons legal team is really irrelevant as at the end of the day they would have to take on WADA.

WADA would already have had every legal challenge you can think of and their access to legal advice will be better than the Dons.

WADA have already without any doubt established that athletes cannot transfer liability to anyone else .

In this case any play that had checked properly that the drug was banned.

Is an open and shut case. They are gone .

I think ASADA are involved not WADA. They will get 6 months IMO if found guilty. It will be very interesting as to when the penalty is served.
It is ASADA yes - but in some instances - if WADA are not satisfied they can come over the top as a 'big brother'.

Has been done before.

The only practical solution to the salary cap issue will be for the afl to 'quarantine' the payments to players that are banned. i.e place those amounts outside the cap during the period that a player is deemed ineligible to play.
in other words - your $ doesnt get counted in TPP when you arent allowed to play. Thats probably fair i think.
yeah until its used in a dodgy way ... suddenly the players contracts will be forward loaded so when they come back and it counts towards the SC they suddenly have room again ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

cheers oldmate ... but where does that put things such as players who were at essendon but are no longer at essendon or in this situation say an essendon player requesting a trade at the end of the year ?

its a muddy muddy waters either way Essendon have brought the game into disrepute ... in regards to Watsons brownlow im thinking that the 2012 brownlow will have an * next to it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:cheers oldmate ... but where does that put things such as players who were at essendon but are no longer at essendon or in this situation say an essendon player requesting a trade at the end of the year ?

its a muddy muddy waters either way Essendon have brought the game into disrepute ... in regards to Watsons brownlow im thinking that the 2012 brownlow will have an * next to it
Sorry not two players but more than two players would mean a penalty against the whole team.

"Under Article 11 of the code, if more than two players from any team are found to have committed an anti-doping offence, the ruling body of their competition is required to impose an "appropriate sanction" against the whole team, which could include loss of points or disqualification from the competition."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/o ... 6627386391

And players who no longer play for the Bombers would still face bans if found to be part of the doping program....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
yeah until its used in a dodgy way ... suddenly the players contracts will be forward loaded so when they come back and it counts towards the SC they suddenly have room again ...
fair point. so they pay them 'overs' during their ban period.
they would need to disallow any sneakiness like that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just delved into the archives to add to the body of circumstantial evidence in this whole stench which goes back to 2007

Thompson - Weapon- Dank.....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ro ... 1114519497

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Why are channel 7 doing a Jobe love-in tonight?

Plain distasteful considering this weeks events...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Why are channel 7 doing a Jobe love-in tonight?

AFL & Channel 7 are engaged in a concerted and huge exercise to protect/shield the AFL Brand, control the media story and to protect ratings + thereby protect revenues.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

AFL & Channel 7 are engaged in a concerted and huge exercise to protect/shield the AFL Brand, control the media story and to protect ratings + thereby protect revenues.

Also, Jobe's dad Tim is the white haired boy at Ch 7 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

And so they should.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

And so they should.
Why ?

Another question for you

Why have robson and Robinson been fired ?
In your own words.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

And so they should.
Why ?

Another question for you

Why have robson and Robinson been fired ?
In your own words.

I take it you arent serious with the question why. Any business that has negaitive publicity goes into brand control. Funny question though. Robson was sacked for exactly the reasons I said he would be months ago. Poor govenance. Have no idea about Robinson but probably the same reason as the AFL worrying about their brand. Pretty basic questions that im sure any 10 year old could guess an answer. love to know the point of the questions.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

'Poor governance ' ?
I bet your ten your old can also read and repeat a press release.

I said ' in your own words ' . Not in the words of the EFC press release.
But now I see that was too much to ask of you.

In my opinion it is the job of the aflpa to support the players .
I do not share your enthusiasm for high level cover ups.

Out of interest do you think James Hardie did the right thing by protecting their brand in relation to asbestos ?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 27 Jun 2013 9:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:In my opinion it is the job of the aflpa to support the players .
I do not share your enthusiasm for high level cover ups.

Out of interest do you think James Hardie did the right thing by protecting their brand in relation to asbestos ?

No that killed many many people. Con you cant have anything to do with the law. Can you tell me the cover up by trying to support the club? As you involved in the case you can tell us all what the AFL have covered up. ASADA will be very interested.

happy feet
Club Player

A question for P66. Do you think the Essendon Football Club tried to gain unfair advantage with their drug program and do the players have a responsibility to themselves as professional athletes not to breach the ASADA rules?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

From the TV it appears that West Coast fans are "Giving It" to Jobe Watson every time he gets the ball. Can clearly hear the boos through the TV !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:A question for P66. Do you think the Essendon Football Club tried to gain unfair advantage with their drug program and do the players have a responsibility to themselves as professional athletes not to breach the ASADA rules?

I think Essendon tried to get the an advantage for sure. unlike 99% here I dont think Hird would ever put 46 careers in the balance by getting a unfair advantage. i think their govenance was pathetic by employing a guy like Dank who they should have known had some poor history if you beleive what has been written. As for the players i think if guilty they will be suspended but i also think they would have trusted the club 100%. i can assure you players trust doctors at their club and when given something dont say hang on a minute I want to get this tested by my local scientist. That maybe a bit of a smart arese responce but i also dont think they say hang on a minute i want to check this with ASADA and even if they did they would have seen it wasnt a banned product. yes i know it wasnt fit for human consumption but what player would have known before this year that means it cant be used anyway. They would have seen it wasnt banned. Why ASADA dont ban products not fit for human use is beyond me. It would be easier for everyone to understand.

happy feet
Club Player

P66 another question. As Senior Coach should James Hird bear the responsibility for the training, coaching and performance of the players?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:From the TV it appears that West Coast fans are "Giving It" to Jobe Watson every time he gets the ball. Can clearly hear the boos through the TV !!
And so they or any opposition supporters should!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:P66 another question. As Senior Coach should James Hird bear the responsibility for the training, coaching and performance of the players?

Yep all that for sure. Does that mean he should be sacked because Danks lied to him and other IMO Im not so sure. Need to wait and see what the evidence is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Eastern wrote:From the TV it appears that West Coast fans are "Giving It" to Jobe Watson every time he gets the ball. Can clearly hear the boos through the TV !!
And so they or any opposition supporters should!

You must be disappointed he hasnt been king hit?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Just delved into the archives to add to the body of circumstantial evidence in this whole stench which goes back to 2007

Thompson - Weapon- Dank.....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ro ... 1114519497
Huge questions marks over Geelong's marked improvement during 2007 and subsequent sustained success given Robinson's involvement and his tight "Daily" association with Dank as per his staement in that article

Shame it will most likely be never fully explored unless of course Robinson and Dank decided to spill the full tin of beans which "could / maybe" implicate Geelong as well.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
happy feet
Club Player

I'm sorry but the buck stops on Hird's desk. No ifs, no buts. He has placed himself above the players, the club and the game itself. The position he holds carries opportunities for rewards, adulation even, but also responsibilities which if taken too lightly carry dire consequences. I always though Hird was a great leader but a great leader would have stood aside while all this was being sorted. Especially given Jobes revelation and the risk of losing the brownlow, he should have taken some of the heat this week and stood down

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:I'm sorry but the buck stops on Hird's desk. No ifs, no buts. He has placed himself above the players, the club and the game itself. The position he holds carries opportunities for rewards, adulation even, but also responsibilities which if taken too lightly carry dire consequences. I always though Hird was a great leader but a great leader would have stood aside while all this was being sorted. Especially given Jobes revelation and the risk of losing the brownlow, he should have taken some of the heat this week and stood down

Fair enough. i will ask you a question then. Do you think any player from any club would check with ASADA if something they were getting is ok if the clubs doctor and other people at the club said it was all legal? Remember this is 2011 before all this publicity occurred.

happy feet
Club Player

Depends on the intelligence of the player. Some would, some wouldn't. With the amount of injections they were getting, the players should have been more diligent. So should have Warnie with that bloody diet pill.