Finey on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Finey on SEN

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:- Pelchin and Watters do argue but it is healthy debate about the future and what it should look like - both have different jobs and objectives - but the bottom line is that Pelchin wins out and Scotty has to live with the list he is handed.
So was Pelchin wanting Martin?
Pelchen's job is to get the strongest playing list for Scotty to coach - Pelch himself says he distances himself from the players as ultimatly its his job to hire and fire them so he cant develop a pesonal relationship with them , the same could be said about Pelch and Scotty they dont have to be buddy buddies but they do have to respect eachother (and i honestly think they do)...

Pelchen may want dusty , it stands to reason Dusty is a great player and on playing ability alone will improve our team but Scotty is the one ultimatly who has to control him he is the one who has to put his name on the line for Dusty (the media dont care about Pelchen in the back ground its the coaches fault the coach is the face of the club he cops the heat he is the one who has to explain it on tv and in the press conferance). Understandably Scotty isnt as keen on doing that as Dusty is a big risk so i can see where there may be a butting of heads between Pelch and Scotty over this

all in all i think this kind of thing happens at all clubs so im not sure why this gets blown up for our club to me the fact that Pelch and Scotty have differing views is a good thing as we have had many "yes men" run our club and its got us the list situation we have now i would like to think all decisions are looked and debated over means we are takeing the time to make the right choice not just going off halfcocked

StTav you raise some really interesting points and perspectives especially the ones relating to comparisons of football clubs and business/office environments and it got me thinking about the relationship between Pelchin and SW. From what I understand Pelchin is SWs direct supervisor however to me Pelchin is more akin to that of a HR professional that is tasked with trawling for candidates to present to the manager or head of a department. As such this is usually done with significant input from the manager or head of department especially with regards to an initial criteria for final selection.

In my ideal management structure the final decision would need to be stamped by HR and the manager or head of department yet the final decision would be made by somebody that overseas both of those. Is that sort of how the club is structured or is Pelchin in charge of the whole lot in any case. I would have thought that Pelchin and SW were on the same level in the structure and had to work together and have the same amount of decision making power?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

im not 100% on the "delegation of authority" at the club , i know that Pelch puts forward a report to the board that gets signed off on and i would imagine the coach would also have a "business plan" that the board would have to approve - my gut feel is Pelch has more say over Scotty in what we do list building wise as its his job to build the team Scotts job is to get the most out of that team now scott would have input into the list building as Pelch will need to recruit specifically to the plan Scott puts forward example if Scotts plan approved by the board is to have a fleet footed high tempo game plan then Pelch would be charged to find quick skilled players not big bodied slower players the problem is whe pelch finds a player who suits the plan but the coach doesnt like the player (or has issues with the player more to the point) in that case i think there is a leaning more to the coaches choice over Pelchs but maybe the board play the role of deciding vote ? i personally dont know

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Kickit
Club Player

Not unlike a general manager who has to rubber stamp a piece of production equipment, but in most cases he'd be foolish to do so without the production manager's agreement.
( oh and the GM and PM argue sometimes too ).

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Whatever the reality of the situation may be, I say thank you BackFromUSA. Thank you.

me too. thanks for the reality and to know what is reality and facts rather then speculation

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thanks BackfromUSA

I'm definitely thinking your view on this as more legit than Finey's childish outburst (Really who the F*** is Alan Richardson anyhow?).

Its natural and possibly unavoidable the senior lads are a bit let down from being the big dogs on the AFL campus 5 years ago to where they are now. But I cant see how thats the coach's fault.

GO SAINTS!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:1 things for sure - Pelchen is opinionated and likes control. It happened at Hawks too.

I'm ok with that as long as results come with it.

How have the Hawks travelled over the past 5 years or so?

Hope he replicates that at the Saints.

Oh and good post BFUSA, nice to get another view.

Seems like Watters hit a nerve with some of the St.Kilda old school of celebrating the close enough is good enough ethos we have endured since 1966.

Sounds like Mark Fine may be one of them.
Agree that's why I'm ok with it as long as results follow

No doubt the old brigade feels a tad unloved but we have to move on so move forward Scotty would be my mantra!!

“Yeah….nah””
defacto
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:Heard the same rumours as Finey before the B&F.

Rather than believe I investigated - something I would expect the media would do ...

- older players understand their role to guide next generation but wish they were being asked to be MORE involved rather than being told that the development staff will do it (so they feel a little disrespected and under valued) but wanting to contribute

- mix aged players are determined to succeed under Scott and excited by the generation under them and believe they can play finals again within a few years with some added recruiting / drafting cream

- younger players ummm love the ummm club and ummm all their teammates and ummm really love the ummm old blokes and Scotty is ummm like amazing to work with

- Tom Ledger blames himself for lack of games - has struggled to add the necessary fitness required to sustain 7-8 minutes of continuous offensive and defensive running that the coach demands to take a place in the midfield and only recently regained his line breaking attack with the ball and his composure with the ball in tight situations

- Pelchin and Watters do argue but it is healthy debate about the future and what it should look like - both have different jobs and objectives - but the bottom line is that Pelchin wins out and Scotty has to live with the list he is handed. There is great belief in Elshaugh for drafting but this year will be a heavy trade period.

All of this from speaking directly to sober players and tipsy staff members at the b&f.

The rumour is IMHO the interpretation of an ex insider (not player or coaching staff) who feels we could do better than Scott as coach and has spun some dissatisfaction amongst older players and some vigorous but healthy debate between Pelchin and Watters into a rumour about Scott tearing the fabric of the club apart purely to suit their own sack Watters agenda.

This is exactly how St Kilda has failed in the past.

Thank goodness this trouble maker is no longer in a position of authority and thank goodness we have a quality board now - they are smart enough to get to the bottom of these type of rumours AND will sack Scott based on his KPIs when the time comes which will probably be in the post 2016 (if we have not made finals) or 2019 if we have not made a Grand Final.

Unless of course I have exposed myself to a cover up and the original rumour is correct and the club is being torn apart by Watters.

Either way - I wish Mr. Fine had investigated AND either way kept it in-house as this is the sort of rumour that causes more harm than good.
great post!!!!!

especially the thoughts on ledger

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Rather than believe I investigated - something I would expect the media would do ...

- older players understand their role to guide next generation but wish they were being asked to be MORE involved rather than being told that the development staff will do it (so they feel a little disrespected and under valued) but wanting to contribute

- mix aged players are determined to succeed under Scott and excited by the generation under them and believe they can play finals again within a few years with some added recruiting / drafting cream

- younger players ummm love the ummm club and ummm all their teammates and ummm really love the ummm old blokes and Scotty is ummm like amazing to work with

- Tom Ledger blames himself for lack of games - has struggled to add the necessary fitness required to sustain 7-8 minutes of continuous offensive and defensive running that the coach demands to take a place in the midfield and only recently regained his line breaking attack with the ball and his composure with the ball in tight situations

- Pelchin and Watters do argue but it is healthy debate about the future and what it should look like - both have different jobs and objectives - but the bottom line is that Pelchin wins out and Scotty has to live with the list he is handed. There is great belief in Elshaugh for drafting but this year will be a heavy trade period.

All of this from speaking directly to sober players and tipsy staff members at the b&f.

The rumour is IMHO the interpretation of an ex insider (not player or coaching staff) who feels we could do better than Scott as coach and has spun some dissatisfaction amongst older players and some vigorous but healthy debate between Pelchin and Watters into a rumour about Scott tearing the fabric of the club apart purely to suit their own sack Watters agenda.

Thank goodness this trouble maker is no longer in a position of authority and thank goodness we have a quality board now - they are smart enough to get to the bottom of these type of rumours AND will sack Scott based on his KPIs when the time comes which will probably be in the post 2016 (if we have not made finals) or 2019 if we have not made a Grand Final.

Unless of course I have exposed myself to a cover up and the original rumour is correct and the club is being torn apart by Watters.

Either way - I wish Mr. Fine had investigated AND either way kept it in-house as this is the sort of rumour that causes more harm than good.

Do you know if Ledger thinks he will be at the club next year?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

word i hear on Ledger is he wont know until after trade week if he is being kept or not ... lots revolves around who we get ... same is said of Beau

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:word i hear on Ledger is he wont know until after trade week if he is being kept or not ... lots revolves around who we get ... same is said of Beau
beau is contracted. he'll stay IMO

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

defacto wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:word i hear on Ledger is he wont know until after trade week if he is being kept or not ... lots revolves around who we get ... same is said of Beau
If we were??? to pick up Patton as you mentioned Defacto, perhaps Beau could become a tradeable item with both Freo and WCE needing tall forwards.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Richter
SS Life Member

What a quality post mate. Thanks for passing on your info!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It would really help the club's cause if everyone down there is on the same page. Disagreements and debates are healthy but as the ALP found out, disunity is death.

I have no problem with what Watters said at the B&F as long as all the major players agree with the approach and direction taken.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
so was Winmar .... just sayin ....

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
defacto wrote:
If we were??? to pick up Patton as you mentioned Defacto, perhaps Beau could become a tradeable item with both Freo and WCE needing tall forwards.
neither WA teams would take Beau ... if he was not required by us he would be back to Claremont in my opinion

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

- younger players ummm love the ummm club and ummm all their teammates and ummm really love the ummm old blokes and Scotty is ummm like amazing to work with :lol:

The rumour is IMHO the interpretation of an ex insider (not player or coaching staff) ...

Thank goodness this trouble maker is no longer in a position of authority and thank goodness we have a quality board now - they are smart enough to get to the bottom of these type of rumours...
Thanks Simon for such a thorough, insightful and well put together post. :)

Great news re the BOM and avoiding the self destruction of the past, and re the Ledge'. (Is the latter staying? I hope so. What you were told, added to how he performed when picked, certainly implies that Cuddles knows how to manage the younger blokes' development)

As for the older guys who want to help and feel left out... someone needs to let Cuddles know this. Should be easily sorted out. In fact, if we are going to have a problem, then I guess that's actually one of the better problems to have...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

- younger players ummm love the ummm club and ummm all their teammates and ummm really love the ummm old blokes and Scotty is ummm like amazing to work with :lol:

The rumour is IMHO the interpretation of an ex insider (not player or coaching staff) ...

Thank goodness this trouble maker is no longer in a position of authority and thank goodness we have a quality board now - they are smart enough to get to the bottom of these type of rumours...
Thanks Simon for such a thorough, insightful and well put together post. :)

Great news re the BOM and avoiding the self destruction of the past, and re the Ledge'. (Is the latter staying? I hope so. What you were told, added to how he performed when picked, certainly implies that Cuddles knows how to manage the younger blokes' development)

As for the older guys who want to help and feel left out... someone needs to let Cuddles know this. Should be easily sorted out. In fact, if we are going to have a problem, then I guess that's actually one of the better problems to have...

It could be a tough love game. He def charged a lot with responsibility for mentoring but some seniors were left off. Maybe that's because they weren't pulling their weight.

defacto
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
defacto wrote:
since when WCE need tall fwds?

Darling, Kennedy, Nic Nat. Cox/Lycett ruck options. Callum SInclair fwd/ruck. they have more talls. their issues are the fwd line

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

its a well written post but my understanding is that some of it isnt true. I believe Ledger isnt happy with the coaching staff but then again neither is Dunnel or a couple of others who arent getting regular games. Some older players are pissed off with how the coach treats them. I havent spoken to Milney but from what i hear i doubting all think SW is amazing to work with. Im Amazed Milney gave him that much of a rap from what i hear.

It is still my opinion that Finey has no inside knowledge of the club but listens to people that may or do have inside knowledge. He would know no more than some on here. Having said that he definately got a few things right.

defacto
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

its a well written post but my understanding is that some of it isnt true. I believe Ledger isnt happy with the coaching staff but then again neither is Dunnel or a couple of others who arent getting regular games. Some older players are pissed off with how the coach treats them. I havent spoken to Milney but from what i hear i doubting all think SW is amazing to work with. Im Amazed Milney gave him that much of a rap from what i hear.

It is still my opinion that Finey has no inside knowledge of the club but listens to people that may or do have inside knowledge. He would know no more than some on here. Having said that he definately got a few things right.
the problem is when finey is question on details and specifics he offers up nothing. when those around me are questioned they say "trust me i know". they never give up any details past a wink wink nudge nudge.

that for me is not enough to push for the sacking of a senior coach in such a public medium

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

just on the Milney thing i think a lot of blame is being pushed onto Scotty for that unfairly ... yes i think he was pushed into retirment but i believe that was a directive from above Scotty from the board level that given his age , his output this year and the pending legal issues i dont think Scotty was the big bad wolf in it as i think all levels of the club felt it was a good idea ...
as for Ledger understandably he was peeved he wasnt getting games but as i have said many times there were serious concerns about his ability to run out the game his fitness was poor and he was challanged for it all year ... word id Scotty would ride him pretty hard about it because he knows Ledger can be a player but he needs to work harder to get there (BFUSA confirms this from talking directly to Ledger) if anything i think it shows Scotty really wants Ledger to make it other wise why would he bother putting time into him to try and get him to improve .....
with Dunnell i think some other boys over took him , hardly the coaches fault ...
as i said before older players have prob got hurt feelings cause everyone (execpt them) know that its the kids who are the future of the club not the old stalwards ... from memory Ross Lyon upset the older players when he came in as well guys like Hamill who were past it but didnt feel they were past it were not to happy with him guys like Maxy felt he was very harshly dealt with ....

end of the day its a footy club feelings will get hurt its not under 9's where everyone gets a pat on the back for trying

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: its a well written post but my understanding is that some of it isnt true. I believe Ledger isnt happy with the coaching staff but then again neither is Dunnel or a couple of others who arent getting regular games. Some older players are pissed off with how the coach treats them. I havent spoken to Milney but from what i hear i doubting all think SW is amazing to work with. Im Amazed Milney gave him that much of a rap from what i hear.

It is still my opinion that Finey has no inside knowledge of the club but listens to people that may or do have inside knowledge. He would know no more than some on here. Having said that he definitely got a few things right.
I think we all need to take a step back and acknowledge how difficult and unfortunate the Milne situation is. Like Bakes before him - Milney was always going to be pissed off with the coach at the end. No matter who was coach - Milney would be in an unenviable and awkward position and probably have hated the coach - because 99% of coaches probably would have done the same thing. Is he good enough to play on ? Yep. Do I think he will be found not guilty? Yep. But this is just an unfortunate set of circumstances that SW found himself in. The Board would have weighed up Milneys internal value at age 33 against external perceptions and sponsors wishes etc. Id say it was a difficult decision. And SW is left in the gun either way because hes the public boss. Just allround tough situation for all concerned.

Dunell - Well I do have a bit of an issue here (based only on gut feel) where I reckon our fitness staff are doing a one for all program and it isnt individual enough and I think Dunny is a victim in that. He is just too skinny to play AFL and so is TDL. Is this because they are sh*t trainers in the gym or is it the program? Im not sure. It is well documented Tom Curren does his own gym work separate from his regular program. So I tend to think the program is to blame.

Ledger - Definitely seems there is something to the SW/TL relationship. I think SW either needs to trade him or play him. He cant stay in limbo again next year. I have nfi if hes good enough for AFL but we are none the wiser on that after only 2 games.

P66 - can you identify the points Finey was right on? I'm guessing he was right on some wrong on some and just ranting/speculating on some.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Good post st trav - remember Maxy hated RL and Im sure a few others did too when he came in and made changes.
Thats footy - you need to refresh and rebuild and there will always be older guys who were once the Big swinging dicks in the club who feel aggrieved when they lose their positions as top dogs. It happens at every club and will always happen at every club. The only issue is managing the egos softly softly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Good post st trav - remember Maxy hated RL and Im sure a few others did too when he came in and made changes.
Thats footy - you need to refresh and rebuild and there will always be older guys who were once the Big swinging dicks in the club who feel aggrieved when they lose their positions as top dogs. It happens at every club and will always happen at every club. The only issue is managing the egos softly softly.

I dont know about Max hating RL but he wasnt getting a game. That is a little different to older guys who are getting games not being huge fans of SW. Doubt whether anyone at the club hates SW though even the ones who dont like him at all.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Finey is currently taking calls and talking about the Saints again.....