Official Trade Rumours thread (all in here please)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: trade rumours

gringo wrote:I hope we still have a really good look maverick Weller. he was an outstanding underage footballer- not that much can change surely.
David Rodan won back-to-back Morrish Medals, we should pick him up when Melbourne finally dump him - not that much can change surely. Fortunato Caruso also went back-to-back in the Morrish, even more recently, put him on the list. Farran Priest, Anton Woods, Jackson Sketcher, Alex Benbow - all these guys were outstanding underage footballers just in the last few years, so therefore they must be worth a punt.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I hope we still have a really good look maverick Weller. he was an outstanding underage footballer- not that much can change surely. I hope we look at some really speculative choices and play brave. Port got Neade like we got Saad and Milera. They got Colquhoun for free as a rookie and Kane Mitchell from the WAFL. All had a good positive impact.

How many players do you want to delist to get these really speculative picks.
Mav no doubt has talent, but an ego to match it from all reports. Maybe a rookie spot? But can't see him on our list tbh considering our push for kids with their head screwed on

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
gringo wrote:I hope we still have a really good look maverick Weller. he was an outstanding underage footballer- not that much can change surely.
David Rodan won back-to-back Morrish Medals, we should pick him up when Melbourne finally dump him - not that much can change surely. Fortunato Caruso also went back-to-back in the Morrish, even more recently, put him on the list. Farran Priest, Anton Woods, Jackson Sketcher, Alex Benbow - all these guys were outstanding underage footballers just in the last few years, so therefore they must be worth a punt.
Rodan retired 2 weeks ago due to re doing his knee

70s sainter
Club Player

Zed wrote:
mohannair wrote:
Provided we do not trade Pick 3. :)
IF they trade pick 3, it would have to be for something truly outstanding IMHO. I will fair dinkum blow a gasket if there is any trade involving pick 3 and an unproven player like Bruce or Delaney and a 2nd round pick, or swap of picks. If they have done their homework properly, there is no reason not to expect pick 3 in the draft to be a future 200 gamer player and potential future top 3 B&F. I think I understand what they were trying to do with picks 12 & 13 last year, but I don't believe the same approach with a pick as valuable as pick 3 is appropriate.
Last year we were trying to turn the list over with a number of players. We traded down to turn 2 picks into 4 .We wont be doing that this year as we have so many young players developing. We just need the highest quality picks this year.
So we ll def keep pick 3 . It wouldnt suprise me if we upgraded our second and third pick to get a higher second pick as well.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Harsh on Rodan

3 knee Recos

He was a good player at Port until injury

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Harsh on Rodan

3 knee Recos

Yep, good player if a bit small. My point was that being highly rated at underage level doesn't necessarily translate and maybe it hasn't with Weller, for whatever reason.

For instance, the Morrish has a pretty consistent record of going to players who are too small to be really good at the next level, but who were obviously superstars underage. Jarryd Blair and Rodan were just good enough to make it, but Luke Shackleton, Mungara Brown, Caruso, Farran Priest, Anton Woods and Alex Benbow make up a massive fraction of the last ten years. Cavarra and Chisari this year look like they might be similar.

I guess not many big guys are much good when they're young.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
BigMart wrote:Harsh on Rodan

3 knee Recos

Yep, good player if a bit small. My point was that being highly rated at underage level doesn't necessarily translate and maybe it hasn't with Weller, for whatever reason.

For instance, the Morrish has a pretty consistent record of going to players who are too small to be really good at the next level, but who were obviously superstars underage. Jarryd Blair and Rodan were just good enough to make it, but Luke Shackleton, Mungara Brown, Caruso, Farran Priest, Anton Woods and Alex Benbow make up a massive fraction of the last ten years. Cavarra and Chisari this year look like they might be similar.

I guess not many big guys are much good when they're young.

most of those guys would qualify to get torched by CJ so they aren't exactly like for like. Caruso is a shame because he can play but he would be in danger of getting squashed by a full sized Sherrin.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Jeremy Laidler asking to be traded…

189cm - not quite a genuine KPD…

Would we look at him? Sounds pretty injury prone.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Jeremy Laidler asking to be traded…

189cm - not quite a genuine KPD…

Would we look at him? Sounds pretty injury prone.

More an Ormond type player.

falka
Club Player

Exactly what we need a mid sized running defender. Please!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:Exactly what we need a mid sized running defender. Please!
I get that… but we have added 4 small forwards in the past 2 years and no full backs, so anything is possible.

I thought Laidler was more of a 'stopper' than a running player?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

James Sellar cut by Melbourne. 196cm and 97kg, 24 years old.

Not much of a footballer, but if we just want a big lump to sit at fullback for a couple of years and play on Tippett-types then maybe he'd come into consideration. Cost f***-all, but I'd hope we could do significantly better.

spot on
Club Player

Sellar is prob the worst player in the afl

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:James Sellar cut by Melbourne. 196cm and 97kg, 24 years old.

Not much of a footballer, but if we just want a big lump to sit at fullback for a couple of years and play on Tippett-types then maybe he'd come into consideration. Cost f***-all, but I'd hope we could do significantly better.

Would prefer joel Tippett.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Id suggest neither myself.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

yep...+1.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
lloyd21
Club Player

Gee I am glad Pelchen / Bains / Elshaug are our recruiting guys you have picked every dud in the AFL

We are in rebuild mode not destruction mode are you reading from the Mark Neeld book of how to destroy a football club.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Gee I am glad Pelchen / Bains / Elshaug are our recruiting guys you have picked every dud in the AFL

We are in rebuild mode not destruction mode are you reading from the Mark Neeld book of how to destroy a football club.

I'm not a recruiting guy but if we could get a decent FB for nothing we could then use our high picks on quality mids.

Joel Tippett by all reports will get drafted this year as he's been in outstanding form in the SANFL. I like the idea of Bruce but not if he costs overs like Fisher and our second pick which some have suggested. I have seen Bruce play and while he's a stopper he's not a super star. Tippett would only have to do as well and probably cost a preseason pick only. Delaney is only just a player too. If we have to part with dal and a pick which has also been touted it is a massive overs for a fringe player.

Getting a few bargain gets is what will propel us back quicker. If we part with our second rounder it will be another year before we get another mid in who will take around 3 years on average to come on.

Kickit
Club Player

Would you say that Tippett at 21 was better than Josh Bruce now?

defacto
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
we'll keep CJ on before we chase rodan. CJ is light years ahead of rodan and is on the cusp of being delisted

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:Would you say that Tippett at 21 was better than Josh Bruce now?

Tippett is no good now or ever. If we continue suggesting ordinary footallers then we may as close up shop for a few years. The only one i have heard from another club that we are a chance to get with any class at all is Bruce. Delaney, Tippett, Weller, Myers. Forget them.

Kickit
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Tippett is no good now or ever. If we continue suggesting ordinary footallers then we may as close up shop for a few years. The only one i have heard from another club that we are a chance to get with any class at all is Bruce. Delaney, Tippett, Weller, Myers. Forget them.
That's my thoughts too. Bruce is old enough to play, but still young enough to have a pretty high upside.
Saying that we might as well get Tippett is like saying we might as well get Jesse White instead of Boyd because he'll play just as good in 2014.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Tippett is no good now or ever. If we continue suggesting ordinary footallers then we may as close up shop for a few years. The only one i have heard from another club that we are a chance to get with any class at all is Bruce. Delaney, Tippett, Weller, Myers. Forget them.
Well get yourself down to Seaford quick smart because all the media reports are suggesting we've offered Delaney a 3 year contract :shock: :cry:

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

This, this and this...

The fascination, year after year, with discards and rejects astounds me... Draft young, capable with good character and back the club to create players from the ground up.. Not shop around for top ups that have proven they are basically rubbish...

This time last year people were speculating whether we should take guys like Riemers, Bate, Bower and Sheldon.. This year its the above rejects... Groundhog day.. Lets hope the club goes down the same path as they did last year and focus on guys like Murdoch, Saunders and White....

lloyd21
Club Player

Agree :D

Have no doubt that is what they will do too