Howard the steal of the trade period

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Howard the steal of the trade period

It's just good to know that we are genuine players in trying to trade and asking questions far and wide. It feels good to have obtained 'the steal of the trade period'. Despite the sour reaction from Port towards Howard in.tbe last few games and a few on here because of it.
I admit I was just speculating and have no inside information on this matter. That's the 'perhap's' part.

To the top
SS Life Member

In the SANFL “the rivalry” is between Norwood and Port Adelaide

The CEO of Port Adelaide is a Norwood legend, Keith Thomas, who also played a season in the VFL (Fitzroy from memory) and in the twilight of his career which extended to over 300 games with Norwood

Those from Alberton have a word or two to say on Keith as well

But the facts are that Keith was blind sided in this by another Norwood legend who is now in the employ of St Kilda

But try telling that to those from the Wharves

All good fun!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 8:32am I have no clue but I find it difficult to comprehend the logic around devaluation of a playing asset.

Common sense would assume a player showing form and leadership would be nurtured not marginalized whilst fulfilling the role where he is required by the team.

What ever happened it is now in the past and we have a potential 10 year tall defender if he can fulfill his early promise. Plenty have moved at his stage in the career and gone to great heights such as Mal Michael.

The kid has size and speed, whether he will be a player or not is yet to be determined, but he is not A grade overnight just because we recruited him.

There is a reason he finished the season in the SANFL but that is behind him now.
Spot on. And that is my curiosity about the event, a zeroing even, but not about the club's decision to recruit him, but how he went from rooster to feather duster in remarkbly quick time after round 9 and his captaincy in that round. It's intersting to me that he was paraded by the head coach as an emerging leader, yet shortly after allegedly wanted out because the coach wasnt playing him in his preferred position. Something doesn't add up, you don't get made captain of a club if you have a Carslile attitude. Not unless the coach and club devalue the position of Captain at a club enough to play games. Doubt that happened.

Time will tell if he makes the grade, and if he does become a player then his swift departure may reveal a simmering issue at Port.

However if he he is a failed recruit then his swift departure may reveal we rushed in hastily.
Last edited by Secret Kiel on Thu 30 Jan 2020 8:13pm, edited 2 times in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

Just to add, after being de-listed by North Melbourne, David Trotter went to Norwood in 2008, playing with James Gallagher who played over 200 games at Norwood - following on a Grand father and other family members

I understand that Trotter is Howard’s Manager

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 1:12pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 10:11am
Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 8:32am I have no clue but I find it difficult to comprehend the logic around devaluation of a playing asset.

Common sense would assume a player showing form and leadership would be nurtured not marginalized whilst fulfilling the role where he is required by the team.

What ever happened it is now in the past and we have a potential 10 year tall defender if he can fulfill his early promise. Plenty have moved at his stage in the career and gone to great heights such as Mal Michael.

The kid has size and speed, whether he will be a player or not is yet to be determined, but he is not A grade overnight just because we recruited him.

There is a reason he finished the season in the SANFL but that is behind him now.
Austin and Howard will be our 2 "A" grade KP defenders for the next 10 years. Ironically both recruited from Port Adelaide.
Is that a problem for you, is it?
Not at all. I am very excited at the prospect of having these 2 guys in our backline. This frees up Carlisle to play that loose interceptor role that he excels at.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
silverhalo
Club Player

Still pinching myself that we were able to secure Dougal Howard......will be a beauty!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 5:27pm It all seems pretty straightforward to me

Saints engage Howard's manager at the start of 2019 season.

Port only catch wind re: of him talking to Saints - late in the season (and are pissed)

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard
Your 3rd and 4th sentence is more plausible than our club started the ball rolling on a trade early on in the season. However if your theory is remotely true then that is remarkably immature on Port's behalf. But I'm not convinced that the trade was due to engaging a trade early on in the season. The speculation in your 3rd and 4th sentence seems too petty and childish and surely elite clubs don't kick own-goals that recklessly.

We swooped late in the season and capitalised on a dramatic and sudden falling out between player and club towards the end of the season.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 11:23pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 1:12pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 10:11am

Austin and Howard will be our 2 "A" grade KP defenders for the next 10 years. Ironically both recruited from Port Adelaide.
Is that a problem for you, is it?
Not at all. I am very excited at the prospect of having these 2 guys in our backline. This frees up Carlisle to play that loose interceptor role that he excels at.
Alrighty then, Kells.

I accept your explanation.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 31 Jan 2020 7:39am
Devilhead wrote: Thu 30 Jan 2020 5:27pm It all seems pretty straightforward to me

Port only catch wind re: of him talking to Saints - late in the season (and are pissed)

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard
Your 3rd and 4th sentence is more plausible than our club started the ball rolling on a trade early on in the season. However if your theory is remotely true then that is remarkably immature on Port's behalf. But I'm not convinced that the trade was due to engaging a trade early on in the season. The speculation in your 3rd and 4th sentence seems too petty and childish and surely elite clubs don't kick own-goals that recklessly.

We swooped late in the season and capitalised on a dramatic and sudden falling out between player and club towards the end of the season.
Saintmatt mentioned earlier in the thread that we were speaking with his manager early on in 2019 - Port absolutely very likely did not know this

I would say the sudden falling out was when Port found out that Howard or at least his manager had been talking with us

The fact that they were playing him all over the place helped justify his decision to want out of his contract

Port could have held him to his contract but it could be that the relationship between him and Hinkley was irrepairable

Seems like Port is not a very happy place currently - aging stars, a few bad trade ins, a coach that missed his window, 1 final in last 5 years, player scandals (Watts & SPP)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Fri 31 Jan 2020 8:43pm

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

Saintmatt mentioned earlier in the thread that we were speaking with his manager early on in 2019 - Port absolutely very likely did not know this

I would say the sudden falling out was when Port found out that Howard or at least his manager had been talking with us

The fact that they were playing him all over the place helped justify his decision to want out of his contract

Port could have held him to his contract but it could be that the relationship between him and Hinkley was irrepairable

Seems like Port is not a very happy place currently - aging stars, a few bad trade ins, a coach that missed his window, 1 final in last 5 years, player scandals (Watts & SPP)
Couple of points, firstly, how would a footy fan know if the club was speaking with his manager...full stop, let alone early in the season. So let's just put that part of the conversation in its right compartment.

Secondly, if Howard spat the dummy ala Carslile style because the coach wouldn't pander to him then how the hell can he be seen as a leader.

If he's that precious then he's anything but a leader. Something doesn't add up on that score.

Happy we recruited him but he's more potential than steal at this stage of the year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hey guys bulls*** can never take the place of facts. True facts that is. Backed up by evidence, which I might add, is absent here.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 31 Jan 2020 9:01pm

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

Couple of points, firstly, how would a footy fan know if the club was speaking with his manager...full stop, let alone early in the season. So let's just put that part of the conversation in its right compartment.

Secondly, if Howard spat the dummy ala Carslile style because the coach wouldn't pander to him then how the hell can he be seen as a leader.

If he's that precious then he's anything but a leader. Something doesn't add up on that score.

Happy we recruited him but he's more potential than steal at this stage of the year.
Saintmatt and TotheTop will be pleased to know that they are in your bulls*** compartment :roll:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

He was dropped. After kicking a quarter of their goals in a tight loss to GWS. In that game he may have won the game at either end.
It has been made public knowledge that he prefers the backline, it was also made public that Hinkley told him he would be playing forward and in the ruck after making him Captain because of his outstanding leadership and potential after 30 odd games in which he predominantly played back.. Are you really this niave?
Gallagher mentioned that his mamager didnt agree to terms til well into the trade period and the deal got done, so no dummy spits and an enormous amount of press on how Port made a bad decision. It looks like Howard made a business decision.
What qualifies your opinion? Are you a super fan?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 9:27pm

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

He was dropped. After kicking a quarter of their goals in a tight loss to GWS. In that game he may have won the game at either end.
It has been made public knowledge that he prefers the backline, it was also made public that Hinkley told him he would be playing forward and in the ruck after making him Captain because of his outstanding leadership and potential after 30 odd games in which he predominantly played back.. Are you really this niave?
Gallagher mentioned that his mamager didnt agree to terms til well into the trade period and the deal got done, so no dummy spits and an enormous amount of press on how Port made a bad decision. It looks like Howard made a business decision.
I believe the answer to your question is contrarian’ism

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

Deleted
Last edited by skeptic on Sat 01 Feb 2020 10:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

Deleted
Last edited by skeptic on Sat 01 Feb 2020 10:16pm, edited 2 times in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

Deleted
Last edited by skeptic on Sat 01 Feb 2020 10:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

Free thinking alloud on the internet as opposed to swallowing line for line everything you read in the HS or watch on Fox Footy. Feel free to think.

Hey just curious, does CQ stand for Central Queensland? If it does what part to you live in?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 02 Feb 2020 6:49am

Port drop Howard

Port trade Howard

Free thinking alloud on the internet as opposed to swallowing line for line everything you read in the HS or watch on Fox Footy. Feel free to think.

Hey just curious, does CQ stand for Central Queensland? If it does what part to you live in?
I was in Rockhampton. Now I'm in Hervey Bay.

To the top
SS Life Member

Whilst I believe Howard will line up at full back (maybe with Austin as the 3rd “tall” in the defensive 6 and Battle in the mid-field) I am of the belief that position is not an issue in Howard finding his way to St Kilda

Gallagher and Trotter were both instrumental - as former team mates - and Howard did not accept the offer Port Adelaide had on the table

St Kilda offered a longer term and more money - decision made

What happened on field from then happened

Port Adelaide were not amused and are spitting chips - still

They think we have “raided” them of 3 very good players - 2 long term prospects and Ryder still with something to offer

And they categorised Howard as a utility and the successor to Westhoff with his versatility - able to also line up on a wing or defensive flank noting his size

Hence spitting chips

All we have to do now is find a way to actually beat Port Adelaide which, unfortunately, has not been the case in a number of seasons

Fortunately Norwood usually have their measure!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

To the top wrote: Sun 02 Feb 2020 5:31pm Whilst I believe Howard will line up at full back (maybe with Austin as the 3rd “tall” in the defensive 6 and Battle in the mid-field) I am of the belief that position is not an issue in Howard finding his way to St Kilda

Gallagher and Trotter were both instrumental - as former team mates - and Howard did not accept the offer Port Adelaide had on the table

They think we have “raided” them of 3 very good players - 2 long term prospects and Ryder still with something to offer

And they categorised Howard as a utility and the successor to Westhoff with his versatility - able to also line up on a wing or defensive flank noting his size

Hence spitting chips

All we have to do now is find a way to actually beat Port Adelaide which, unfortunately, has not been the case in a number of seasons

So you're claiming Howard had an offer on the table from the Saints before he accepted the Captaincy knowing he wasnt going to accept the Port offer and then leave the club anyway. I can see why chips were spat.

To the top
SS Life Member

I normally do not respond to other contributors on this site - but where have I EVER mentioned Howard and his Captaincy of Port Adelaide?

And when have I EVER mentioned when Gallagher and Trotter met - and Howard was one of the subjects of that meeting?

Please do not misrepresent

Secret Kiel
Club Player

To the top wrote: Sun 02 Feb 2020 5:56pm I normally do not respond to other contributors on this site - but where have I EVER mentioned Howard and his Captaincy of Port Adelaide?

And when have I EVER mentioned when Gallagher and Trotter met - and Howard was one of the subjects of that meeting?

Please do not misrepresent
There was another poster in this thread claiming the deal was done early in the season. You've clearly missed a bit of the context derived from this thread.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 02 Feb 2020 5:49pm
To the top wrote: Sun 02 Feb 2020 5:31pm Whilst I believe Howard will line up at full back (maybe with Austin as the 3rd “tall” in the defensive 6 and Battle in the mid-field) I am of the belief that position is not an issue in Howard finding his way to St Kilda

Hence spitting chips

So you're claiming Howard had an offer on the table from the Saints before he accepted the Captaincy knowing he wasnt going to accept the Port offer and then leave the club anyway. I can see why chips were spat.
It's confusing for you isn't. It's ok, let me help [To the top] looks like that. [Saintmatt] looks like this. [Secret Kiel] that one is you

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 02 Feb 2020 6:21pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 02 Feb 2020 5:49pm

Hence spitting chips

It's confusing for you isn't. It's ok, let me help [To the top] looks like that. [Saintmatt] looks like this. [Secret Kiel] that one is you
Now you're being Nuffie.