Hind

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Re: Hind

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 4:08pm Hind is like too many of our players. Shoulda woulda coulda types. Now it's time for him, Kent Parker Lonie etc to actually step up. All have the ability to be really good but I am yet to be blown away by any of them
I think that's a bit harsh.

He's only played a handful of games the same as Parker.

I agree we want him to step up but it's not like he's promised the world and failed to deliver. He has been pretty good to date for the experience he has

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 7:47pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 4:08pm Hind is like too many of our players. Shoulda woulda coulda types. Now it's time for him, Kent Parker Lonie etc to actually step up. All have the ability to be really good but I am yet to be blown away by any of them

I agree we want him to step up but it's not like he's promised the world and failed to deliver. He has been pretty good to date for the experience he has
fair call but you get the point. We have had a lot of smaller players that show something but don't go on with it. hind has shown some glimpses of what he can do but we need him to be more consistent plus he goes missing at times.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 8:26pm

fair call but you get the point. We have had a lot of smaller players that show something but don't go on with it. hind has shown some glimpses of what he can do but we need him to be more consistent plus he goes missing at times.
Don’t disagree. Consistency comes with experience though. I hope he gets the opportunity to get better

To the top
SS Life Member

A 25 year old recruited as a mature age selection from Essendon where he played at VFL level

Recruited along with Wilkie and Parker, also from State Leagues as mature aged selections and to address the demographics of the St Kilda List where there was an absence of players in that age grouping

Played 11 games in 2019 kicking 11 goals, both of which efforts were a tribute to him and his perseverance

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 10:09pm

Don’t disagree. Consistency comes with experience though. I hope he gets the opportunity to get better
From a country of 25 million people there are about 800 AFL contracts/opportunities. Hindy has been very fortunate to be offered contracts at 2 different AFL clubs, from there the numbers for opportunity are much better, 44 into 22. The opportunity to get better has already been given, twice. But as we know so many fail with that last climb.

Elite training facilities, elite coaches and development, access to the best sports science, medical and conditioning and much more than is available at any other sporting level, that's a lot of opportunity right there.

From there, and where Hindy is right now, his next opportunity cannot be "given" for the reason we are a team capable of finals. There is little room for too many fringe players in a best 22 that is looking to improve on 9 wins by at least 33%.

Arguably Hindy was the benefactor of narrower choices last year, and pressure for spots has gone up on two accounts since Hindy last earnt a gurnsey, firstly because the list is fuller for choice, and secondly becuse the team will hopefully be finding that higher standard needed to gain the extra 33% wins.

The harsh reality is fringe players will possibly only be given a 2 hour block to earn thier next 2 hour block if the team starts performing well early in the season.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:00am

From a country of 25 million people there are about 800 AFL contracts/opportunities. Hindy has been very fortunate to be offered contracts at 2 different AFL clubs, from there the numbers for opportunity are much better, 44 into 22. The opportunity to get better has already been given, twice. But as we know so many fail with that last climb.

Elite training facilities, elite coaches and development, access to the best sports science, medical and conditioning and much more than is available at any other sporting level, that's a lot of opportunity right there.

From there, and where Hindy is right now, his next opportunity cannot be "given" for the reason we are a team capable of finals. There is little room for too many fringe players in a best 22 that is looking to improve on 9 wins by at least 33%.

Arguably Hindy was the benefactor of narrower choices last year, and pressure for spots has gone up on two accounts since Hindy last earnt a gurnsey, firstly because the list is fuller for choice, and secondly becuse the team will hopefully be finding that higher standard needed to gain the extra 33% wins.

The harsh reality is fringe players will possibly only be given a 2 hour block to earn thier next 2 hour block if the team starts performing well early in the season.
I don’t get this post either. For whatever reason you seem to take real issue with the notion of positive VFL form being rewarded at the expense of negative AFL form.

It’s a very very simple recipe
If he plays well in the VFL he should be considered for opportunity at the expense of players in his position that are not performing well or are injured.

If the players in similar roles in the top22 are doing well then it becomes harder for him to take a spot away from them.

What is there to disagree with there?

As best as I can tell you have taken extreme objection to the suggestion that IMO some players were given opportunity that wasn’t warranted.
With a guy like Newnes... I stand by that criticism. I liked Jack but he had large patches of very very average form over two years that should have resulted in a spell.

This is evidenced by the criticism of him on forums, by the fact that he dropped himself and most notably by the fact that he was delisted.

There was/is nothing wrong with the idea that he should have been dropped a few times over that period to work on his challenges, earn his way back and have another crack.

Hind may or may not make it... but the reality is that to get better he needs to play and get experience at senior level. The only way that he can do that is by both playing well enough at the VFL to earn opportunity and be given that opportunity when players in his position in the top 22 struggle or get injured

What is not helpful and has never been helpful is when fringe players are not playing to the standard expected and continue to be selected consistently over an extended period

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 27 Feb 2020 10:34am
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:00am

I don’t get this post either. For whatever reason you seem to take real issue with the notion of positive VFL form being rewarded at the expense of negative AFL form.

If he plays well in the VFL he should be considered for opportunity at the expense of players in his position that are not performing well or are injured.

If the players in similar roles in the top22 are doing well then it becomes harder for him to take a spot away from them.

As best as I can tell you have taken extreme objection to the suggestion that IMO some players were given opportunity that wasn’t warranted.
With a guy like Newnes... I stand by that criticism. I liked Jack but he had large patches of very very average form over two years that should have resulted in a spell.

This is evidenced by the criticism of him on forums, by the fact that he dropped himself and most notably by the fact that he was delisted.

There was/is nothing wrong with the idea that he should have been dropped a few times over that period to work on his challenges, earn his way back and have another crack.

Hind may or may not make it... but the reality is that to get better he needs to play and get experience at senior level. The only way that he can do that is by both playing well enough at the VFL to earn opportunity and be given that opportunity when players in his position in the top 22 struggle or get injured

What is not helpful and has never been helpful is when fringe players are not playing to the standard expected and continue to be selected consistently over an extended period
IMO at 25 YO Hind will need to be a regular this season to stay on the list next year.

He's done very well at VFL level and deserved his shot in the big time.
Has got a bit of get up and go about him, he's quick and agile and takes the game on as opposed to genuine lightening speed IMO.

I hope he can get some games in as he's a little in your face and a bit unpredictable.

I think he's in a dangerous age bracket with McKenzie & Kent (24-27) where you should be at your peak and if you are not an auto selection a younger player maybe selected ahead of you even on a lesser VFL performance base.

I hope he has a good year and gets some games but I do not see him in the best 22 along with Mckenzie & Kent.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 27 Feb 2020 10:34am

It seems like we are almost in furious agreement with maybe a differing in the belief the reason Newnes couldn't lose his spot was becuse there wasn't anyone capable of AFL grade football to take his spot which is evidenced by the fact that just about every player that was behind Newnes is not at the club anymore or is still at the club, but at the time was still way off being adequately prepared to take to an AFL field. The latter point being best illustrated by the ladder postion of Sandy during Newnes time at the club. We just didn't have the depth of playing list during Newnes time at the club. It was a different phase in the club's development of a premiership side. Different story now. Keep your eye on Sandy this year and if they are doing well and the seniors list is going ok then as I pointed out, fringe players will only get about 2 hours at a time to earn another 2 hours.

Freebird
Club Player

So who could not see the value of Hind in our jumper?

StPeter
Club Player

I was very disappointed when both Hind and Hickey were cut from our list albeit a few years apart.

Both obviously had talent that we should be using and were far better than other options kept on our list at the time.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 3:42pm I was very disappointed when both Hind and Hickey were cut from our list albeit a few years apart.

Both obviously had talent that we should be using and were far better than other options kept on our list at the time.
I don't think we actually cut Hind.
I believe we offered him a a one year contract and Essendon offered him a 2 year contract. He chose to take the Essendon offer and left.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why wouldn’t you?

The Recruit
Club Player

Hind is a soft squib

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Far from it, pretty tough for his size

silverhalo
Club Player

Freebird wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 3:25pm So who could not see the value of Hind in our jumper?
I was very critical of the club when it decided to trade him out and my anger just intensifies on a weekly basis - just plain stupid, guys with that sort of pace are a rare commodity and it 's something we are seriously short of...I just shake my head in disbelief :roll:

saintkid
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 10:14pm
Freebird wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 3:25pm So who could not see the value of Hind in our jumper?
I was very critical of the club when it decided to trade him out and my anger just intensifies on a weekly basis - just plain stupid, guys with that sort of pace are a rare commodity and it 's something we are seriously short of...I just shake my head in disbelief :roll:
I agree totally. They've made a mess of our list and it beggars belief! Hind's game against the Eagles was excellent and he's had a very good season for them to date adding further insult to injury.
In my opinion, Lethlean has been a disaster appointment for our club. With each week Hannebery continues to not play and Hill treads water, with his laid back play and body language, I get even more annoyed, if that's possible. The damage Lethlean has done is dramatic, not only in relation to the huge contracts he's given them but also the flow-on negativity it would be causing to the mindset of the other players on the list. In my opinion, neither Hannebery or Hill bleed for the club, they came over for totally selfish reasons and that fool gave them the world. No other club would have done that.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Looking more and more like Lethlean is a carpetbagger who came in looking for an immediate impact and sold everything for some high-priced imports from other clubs.

Now that this strategy is falling apart he'll probably be remembered with similar affection to Trout and the Pelican -- two whose puzzling recruting decisions set us back years.