Saints Pledge

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Pledge

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 12 May 2020 9:15am
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 11 May 2020 6:38pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 May 2020 11:27am
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 11 May 2020 10:46am
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 May 2020 9:50am A clear sign someone has limited tools and not much to offer when they start attacking by pointing out spelling mistakes, always makes me laugh.

Anyway back at the adults table, it's a discussion that may be unpalatable right now and also not pinging hard on everyone's radar but I'm convinced we are sailing into a storm which is ironic as most would be feeling like we have just weathered the worst of the storm. I predicted the eye of the storm will reach us towards the end of 2021.
Commiserations SK, I can't even begin to understand the misery that you are suffering, fretting over the impending end of the world as we know it...no doubt when all of your dire predictions come to pass in 2021 you will have the satisfaction of being able to dance on our beloved footy club's grave, singing "I told you so, you silly buggers for throwing your money at a dying club...."
For an 80 year old you are a little dull.

If that's your takeaway from my contributions then you either don't pay attention enough or you are incapable of paying attention.

I have poured a disproportionate amount of time and money into my obsession with our club over my lifetime and so your childish and ignorant attacks are like water off a ducks back...PAL.
Well, at least we have something in common SK, the notable difference being that I have never, nor will ever, give up my complete and unqualified belief that my footy team will rise again and with the current list and management on and off the field I expect it will be sooner rather than later!!

It's why I commend "saynta" wholeheartedly for supporting the club with a financial pledge,(which is what this page was destined to achieve until you injected your irrelevant and shameful deviation) and I hope that you will continue to do likewise....
What a load of absolute horse crap. Like I said, you clearly aren't paying attention or you just aren't capable of paying attention. Giving up....pffft.

Tell us how much you have pledged ? I'm betting nothing.....pfft. :roll:

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Did I read correctly that one of the benefits of this, is that you get your name on the banner??

Seriously?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 12 May 2020 9:29am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 12 May 2020 9:15am
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 11 May 2020 6:38pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 May 2020 11:27am
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 11 May 2020 10:46am
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 May 2020 9:50am A clear sign someone has limited tools and not much to offer when they start attacking by pointing out spelling mistakes, always makes me laugh.

Anyway back at the adults table, it's a discussion that may be unpalatable right now and also not pinging hard on everyone's radar but I'm convinced we are sailing into a storm which is ironic as most would be feeling like we have just weathered the worst of the storm. I predicted the eye of the storm will reach us towards the end of 2021.
Commiserations SK, I can't even begin to understand the misery that you are suffering, fretting over the impending end of the world as we know it...no doubt when all of your dire predictions come to pass in 2021 you will have the satisfaction of being able to dance on our beloved footy club's grave, singing "I told you so, you silly buggers for throwing your money at a dying club...."
For an 80 year old you are a little dull.

If that's your takeaway from my contributions then you either don't pay attention enough or you are incapable of paying attention.

I have poured a disproportionate amount of time and money into my obsession with our club over my lifetime and so your childish and ignorant attacks are like water off a ducks back...PAL.
Well, at least we have something in common SK, the notable difference being that I have never, nor will ever, give up my complete and unqualified belief that my footy team will rise again and with the current list and management on and off the field I expect it will be sooner rather than later!!

It's why I commend "saynta" wholeheartedly for supporting the club with a financial pledge,(which is what this page was destined to achieve until you injected your irrelevant and shameful deviation) and I hope that you will continue to do likewise....
What a load of absolute horse crap. Like I said, you clearly aren't paying attention or you just aren't capable of paying attention. Giving up....pffft.

Tell us how much you have pledged ? I'm betting nothing.....pfft. :roll:
Ya got me. Gee you're good.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Tue 12 May 2020 7:19am
78sainter wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 6:37pm Don’t have a lot of spare cash at the moment but pledged my membership as well as the 4 kid’s memberships, and also threw in a $200 donation to the club, would have been more but just can’t afford anymore at moment, misses wasn’t happy when she saw the bank statement (cat’s supporter) but she’ll get over it. :wink:
Gee, wouldn't mind a night out with you for the moments you do have spare cash... :shock:

Good on you!
Very very good point Spinner. Let's all take the Monday off after one of our Sunday games! 🍻

See you at Platform 28, to be sure, to be sure. 🍻

78sainter

Does anyone know how much money has been raised from the saints pledge so far. Club was quick to let us know early does that Over 100k has been raised in first few days, just wondering where the tally was at and if the early generosity towards the pledge is continuing, any information would be appreciated, thanks. 78sainter.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

150 k

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

it was mentioned during the 2nd Players Sponsor event

... i thought that a tad disappointing
but it was also mentioned that no player sponsors
had sought any return on coin

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The AFL is also lobbying the ATO to have 2020 membership pledges treated as tax deductible donations.

That would be a game changer 🤞🏼

Go you red, black & white warriors
78sainter

Thanks a lot everyone, appreciate the update, 150k is a great start, hopefully it can be pushed up a little, especially as the season gets underway again in a few weeks time. :D

Secret Kiel
Club Player

It will be interesting to see how deep pockets are towards the end of this year. The construction industry in some parts of country are now completing work that was started before COVID-19 and many in that industry are saying they fear thier orders are about to drop off a cliff.

Time will tell but getting in early for the first 150k before the households and business tighten the budgets up considerably might have been a smart move although 150k wont scratch the debt surface.

It's interesting Geelong have now asked to become an assisted club saying they expext to rack up $10 million in debt before the end of year. The AFL were going to punish clubs with a fee if they asked for a loan after declining to sign up to the AFLs new administration management. Does anyone know if Geelong have been slugged with the ou punishment fee? It's a strange mechanism, why do you think the AFL felt the need to create a punishment?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We have to beat Footscray Round 2.
We need to actually start to win footy matches.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 11:50pm We have to beat Footscray Round 2.
We need to actually start to win footy matches.
Agree. No excuses like we had for round 1.

This is fair dinkum stuff and the games should be going ahead (barring some massively unexpected spikes in community transmission).

Round 1 was an asterisk round as it clearly shouldn’t have gone ahead at the time.

Shame there isn’t time for a practice match but Footscray will be rusty same as us.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 8:18am
Shame there isn’t time for a practice match but Footscray will be rusty same as us.
?

Our team has played 1 game together, with 5 new players and under a new coach.

It won't 'click' for at least 8 weeks.

Probably longer given they haven't been able to practice together for the past month or so.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 8:29am
saintspremiers wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 8:18am
?

Our team has played 1 game together, with 5 new players and under a new coach.

It won't 'click' for at least 8 weeks.

Probably longer given they haven't been able to practice together for the past month or so.
If things turn completely pare shape and we struggle to win, it could spell big truoble for the club. The ramifications for performing badly in this climate could have dire consequences for our future. The team hasn't got 8 weeks really but I agree, they are going to struggle to win. The best we can hope for is a quicker adjustment than expected and that the incredibly unfair draw hurts other teams moreso than us.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

the Sainters are a tight unit
... all that ‘heart’ stuff thats been going on
... reconnecting old players back to the club
... linton st
... tb’s (industry)lauded work during this latest hic up
... our history of running lean
... momentum already up ‘n running

we’ll smash em.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Every team is in the same boat, so there are no excuses really, though the people who like to make them I’m sure will continue doing so.

If anyone is disadvantaged it would probably be the SA and WA teams, for the first chunk of the season at least.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 4:39pm It will be interesting to see how deep pockets are towards the end of this year. The construction industry in some parts of country are now completing work that was started before COVID-19 and many in that industry are saying they fear thier orders are about to drop off a cliff.

Time will tell but getting in early for the first 150k before the households and business tighten the budgets up considerably might have been a smart move although 150k wont scratch the debt surface.

It's interesting Geelong have now asked to become an assisted club saying they expext to rack up $10 million in debt before the end of year. The AFL were going to punish clubs with a fee if they asked for a loan after declining to sign up to the AFLs new administration management. Does anyone know if Geelong have been slugged with the ou punishment fee? It's a strange mechanism, why do you think the AFL felt the need to create a punishment?
Correct. So, what you you can deduce from this is that Geelong is as big of a problem child for the AFL as St Kilda / North /Dogs etc. Why? Because they make $1M per home game, every home game (pretty much regardless of crowds but due to signage from a completely clean stadium and Geelong's bar pourage rights). In a stadium paid for by the Victorian Taxpayer. Contemplate that. Without a free stadium and 9 * $1M per game ... they end up that amount + $1M in debt. In a single season. And that's why Geelong is not a power club. If anything ... quite the opposite.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 10:48am Every team is in the same boat, so there are no excuses really, though the people who like to make them I’m sure will continue doing so.

If anyone is disadvantaged it would probably be the SA and WA teams, for the first chunk of the season at least.
I don't really understand the concept of 'excuses' to be honest.

Only 1 team wins. And it's the best team on the day. The team that is the best on the day, is often the best on the day because they are in fact the better team.

I don't think we're a better team than many right now. Certainly not a better team than the Bulldogs.

I don't expect any football team to be much good until they play several games together - let alone one with limited talent.

We need to show effort and have a crack. However playing well enough as a team to win many games simply won't happen until they've played 10-15 games together.

We'll be competitive due to some individual efforts and against weak opposition that allow us to execute what we've practiced at training - but the moment we play a team that shuts down the circle work scenarios that we're accustomed to we'll fall apart. Learning how to execute the plan under match conditions is very different to the training track. It simply takes games.

It's exactly what happened against North.

And it will keep happening for most of this season.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 2:04pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 4:39pm It will be interesting to see how deep pockets are towards the end of this year. The construction industry in some parts of country are now completing work that was started before COVID-19 and many in that industry are saying they fear thier orders are about to drop off a cliff.

Correct. So, what you you can deduce from this is that Geelong is as big of a problem child for the AFL as St Kilda / North /Dogs etc. Why? Because they make $1M per home game, every home game (pretty much regardless of crowds but due to signage from a completely clean stadium and Geelong's bar pourage rights). In a stadium paid for by the Victorian Taxpayer. Contemplate that. Without a free stadium and 9 * $1M per game ... they end up that amount + $1M in debt. In a single season. And that's why Geelong is not a power club. If anything ... quite the opposite.
There isn't a club in the competition that isn't propped up by taxpayer dollars, RSEA park is almost exclusively owned by the State Government, the AFL and Kingston City Council. The AFL get an incredibly generous supply of tax payer money. Time will tell if it's a deck of cards.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 3:49pm
Saintmatt wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 2:04pm

There isn't a club in the competition that isn't propped up by taxpayer dollars, RSEA park is almost exclusively owned by the State Government, the AFL and Kingston City Council. The AFL get an incredibly generous supply of tax payer money. Time will tell if it's a deck of cards.
That's true to a large degree however, Geelong gets a massive headstart. They play 9 games at a stadium that was largely built by the taxpayer that they then leverage into an income stream of $9M p.a. from those home games due to an exceptionally generous stadium deal. Yes - RSEA park was largely government funded but we'd be lucky to leverage that into a $500K pa income stream (at very best) pokies excluded. Huge disparity. Imagine if the Cat's had've been playing at Kardinia Park for the past 20 years but under same terms as our horrendous Colonial/Telstra/Etihad/Marvel stadium deal?? They'd clearly have been burried years ago.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 2:25pm The AFL is also lobbying the ATO to have 2020 membership pledges treated as tax deductible donations.

PS - Essendon has now already got their arrangement sorted - https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/6921 ... w-it-works.

I'm reliably informed that ours will follow suit in due course.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 4:01pm
Saintmatt wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 2:25pm The AFL is also lobbying the ATO to have 2020 membership pledges treated as tax deductible donations.

PS - Essendon has now already got their arrangement sorted - https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/6921 ... w-it-works.

That's great but my question is why are we always behind all the other clubs?

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 28 May 2020 2:52pm
Saintmatt wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 4:01pm

That's great but my question is why are we always behind all the other clubs?
:roll: ..Oh ffs.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Interesting article, opinion piece, thanks for sharing.

It seems like the clubs in strong financial positions at the moment are counting the number of life jackets, very fortunate a pandemic did not hit in the 80s, 90s, 00s.

Without a crystal ball or being privy to the AFLs future planning I can only continue to give my money to St Kilda. If St Kilda cease to exist in all forms then I lose complete interest in the AFL and increase my support of local football.

I encourage those who can afford it in these times to pledge - I have.