Max King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max King

My advice to Max apart from.. hold the bloody mark if you have both hands on it.. would be to run to the space where you would never expect the ball to be kicked when the midfield are coming down the ground, as that's where they will kick it. Only a madman would expect our mids to kick it to your lead.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 6:19pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 12:55pm
SaintDippa wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 12:15pm King's problem at the moment is delivery over his head where he doesn't have the body strength to negate body contact or arm chops. When delivery is out in front then can't be stopped. If mids start only hitting him up on quick leads he'll kick 10. Errrrr 10.8.
That's exactly right. Have a look at Ben King - he's got all the top end midfield draft talent slotting passes to him - out in front (not over his head); to his advantage (not that of his opponent) and not over his head.

Whilst we've improved - our midfield is still B grade (at best). Yes - Max has dropped a few that he should have gobbled but my God, our midfield would be diabolical to play in front of ... imagine being judged on how well you mark Ross's high floaters, Gresham's mongers etc.
I wish the Saint's Social Club was firing and we could have a house band called "Gresh's Mongers" playing. Ahh the good ol days, let's rock Linton again.
In hindsight - it should be the name of the house cocktail.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 12:13pm
poatina wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 9:55pm As I said, untouchable.
All’s great, we didn’t lose today, everything’s going to be great, There are those who can be constantly criticised( see another thread head for three names ) but not Max King.
I’m not a troll. I’ve been a St Kilda member for longer than most of you have been alive. But respectful discussion is impossible on this forum, so , like many others, goodbye for good.
Fair crack mate. He’s a whipper snapper. In the first qtr when the ball was regularly coming into our forward line, he took one good strong grab, kicked a goal and could have had two more. What was apparent at the game was when he didn’t mark it, the ball came to ground for Butler et al to have a go. After qtr time when the delivery and run stopped, no co-incidence he was much less of a threat.
How to sap the confidence out a guy finding his feet in the game? Turn him into a scapegoat and drop him before a fe who’re experienced guys who need a good look in the mirror.

Oh and if no ones already said this - much as I love Geary - when we actually had a chance in the last two mins with the scores level - it was Geary streaming out of defence into the centre square shanking a kick - again - that gave Freo a turnover and easy goal. A clean kick at least to a contest and we were a chance to hold the ball in our forward line or score.
I wasn’t going to read any more of this thread after the initial 3 or 4 replies to the op. I thought they answered adequately and I thought it was ridiculous to be criticising a kid playing his 6th game of AFL.

Glad I revisited and read your post. I also had the same thoughts about Gears clanger in the dying 2 minutes

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p1852608

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Fri 17 Jul 2020 2:08pm
All’s great, we didn’t lose today, everything’s going to be great, There are those who can be constantly criticised( see another thread head for three names ) but not Max King.
I’m not a troll. I’ve been a St Kilda member for longer than most of you have been alive. But respectful discussion is impossible on this forum, so , like many others, goodbye for good.
Fair crack mate. He’s a whipper snapper. In the first qtr when the ball was regularly coming into our forward line, he took one good strong grab, kicked a goal and could have had two more. What was apparent at the game was when he didn’t mark it, the ball came to ground for Butler et al to have a go. After qtr time when the delivery and run stopped, no co-incidence he was much less of a threat.
How to sap the confidence out a guy finding his feet in the game? Turn him into a scapegoat and drop him before a fe who’re experienced guys who need a good look in the mirror.

Oh and if no ones already said this - much as I love Geary - when we actually had a chance in the last two mins with the scores level - it was Geary streaming out of defence into the centre square shanking a kick - again - that gave Freo a turnover and easy goal. A clean kick at least to a contest and we were a chance to hold the ball in our forward line or score.
I wasn’t going to read any more of this thread after the initial 3 or 4 replies to the op. I thought they answered adequately and I thought it was ridiculous to be criticising a kid playing his 6th game of AFL.

Glad I revisited and read your post. I also had the same thoughts about Gears clanger in the dying 2 minutes

Simple fact is we have a Captain who's field kicking is not AFL standard and another 'leader' in the midfield who's barely a B-grader. Makes it hard to demand excellence from everyone else (PS - I personally don't care so much about being a great trainer and a model citizen so much as care about being able to deliver on field when it counts).

In summation - Max King is the least of our issues.

Go you red, black & white warriors
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Max has kicked 8.8 he kicks 4 of those points straight & people are raving about him,he is learning quickly & our delivery to him is still 2nd rate he will kick a bag of 5 or more soon ,just have to get games into him!

PADDLEPOP1000
takeaway
Club Player

No clangers were recorded for Gears in the match. Didn't you recognise that kick in the last couple of mins by Gears as a chaos kick? Well recognised practice when a side is just down and there is not long to go. A low, spinning, bouncing kick is hated by defences in the latter stages, much better than a long bomb. Watching a reply of last qtr Pies vs Cats, Tom Hawkins did exactly the same thing - intentionally, and it was referred to as such by the commentators. Gears had little other option, Jones was covered, could have kicked very short to Steele, but still well away from goal. Just didn't come off that is all. As you know Gears is one of the finest exponents of the chaos kick. He was the one that charged through and actually got the ball amongst a few players. What a leader.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Max probably creates as many goals as he kicks ... we just need to hold his dropped marks in our forward line and keep the F50 pressure on Max(imum) - we did not do this against Freo.
We need our F50 pressure to go from lax back up to max this week, and from now on.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 17 Jul 2020 4:28pm

No clangers were recorded for Gears in the match. Didn't you recognise that kick in the last couple of mins by Gears as a chaos kick? Well recognised practice when a side is just down and there is not long to go. A low, spinning, bouncing kick is hated by defences in the latter stages, much better than a long bomb. Watching a reply of last qtr Pies vs Cats, Tom Hawkins did exactly the same thing - intentionally, and it was referred to as such by the commentators. Gears had little other option, Jones was covered, could have kicked very short to Steele, but still well away from goal. Just didn't come off that is all. As you know Gears is one of the finest exponents of the chaos kick. He was the one that charged through and actually got the ball amongst a few players. What a leader.
I certainly hope Jayson Daniels is credited as the inventor of said chaos kick.

takeaway
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 17 Jul 2020 6:26pm

I certainly hope Jayson Daniels is credited as the inventor of said chaos kick.
Jack was very skilled at the chaos kick. The inventor though would have been John Kennedy Snr, and it was modernised due to Blake Caracella.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Clearly Ratten recognised the 'chaos'. He spoke directly about 2.35 to go, trying to be a hero, rushing, panic and senior players under pressure.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Fri 17 Jul 2020 4:18pm Max has kicked 8.8 he kicks 4 of those points straight & people are raving about him,he is learning quickly & our delivery to him is still 2nd rate he will kick a bag of 5 or more soon ,just have to get games into him!
He's kicked 8.5. Before the last game he was on 7.2 which is outstanding accuracy.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He was the one that charged through and actually got the ball amongst a few players. What a leader.
What a crock/ what a lame defense of the indefensible. We had 2 blokes clear in front of Jarryn. Also Jarryn picked up the footy and panicked and kicked off a step or two.

Ross could've have shepherded and Gears could have even gone for a run. We could have had 4 blokes playing keepings off and had a deep entry instead of a rubbish chaos ball which barely made it inside 50

You either don't want to have a read of the thread where I posted the link or you clearly didn't freeze frame the action like I did and like several others saw live.

When there are 2 minutes to go...you do what Freo did... that is the learning from a mega f***-up from the captain and VC

The Peanut
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 1:55am
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Fri 17 Jul 2020 4:18pm Max has kicked 8.8 he kicks 4 of those points straight & people are raving about him,he is learning quickly & our delivery to him is still 2nd rate he will kick a bag of 5 or more soon ,just have to get games into him!
He's kicked 8.5. Before the last game he was on 7.2 which is outstanding accuracy.
This!!! ... and all the other whinging amateur coaches are speaking volumes of utter crap as usual.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Says he who calls himself 'The Peanut'

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 8:04am
He was the one that charged through and actually got the ball amongst a few players. What a leader.
What a crock/ what a lame defense of the indefensible. We had 2 blokes clear in front of Jarryn. Also Jarryn picked up the footy and panicked and kicked off a step or two.

Ross could've have shepherded and Gears could have even gone for a run. We could have had 4 blokes playing keepings off and had a deep entry instead of a rubbish chaos ball which barely made it inside 50

You either don't want to have a read of the thread where I posted the link or you clearly didn't freeze frame the action like I did and like several others saw live.

When there are 2 minutes to go...you do what Freo did... that is the learning from a mega f***-up from the captain and VC
Didn't you see the beautiful but unfortunately not quite perfect chaos kick? Designed to go a couple of metres over the King/Lonie pack at the 50m into the open forward line, but unfortunately Gears put a touch too much overspin on the ball and it dipped. Even Lonie tried to knock it into open space where Gears had intended. Who was waiting with plenty of open space and one on one over the pack? ... Butler. Likely goal, with his pace. Gears took a lot more than 1-2 steps, and no point Ross shepherding, Gears was past the Freo player. I hope Gears has spent a lot of the week practicing his chaos kicks, has not been doing them too often recently.

No good watching freeze frame, gives you no idea of space and speed. Too much analysis I think. If you analyse the whole game in a similar vein, you would be calling for the dropping of about 12 players.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 10:29am
Scollop wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 8:04am

Didn't you see the beautiful but unfortunately not quite perfect chaos kick? Designed to go a couple of metres over the King/Lonie pack at the 50m into the open forward line, but unfortunately Gears put a touch too much overspin on the ball and it dipped. Even Lonie tried to knock it into open space where Gears had intended. Who was waiting with plenty of open space and one on one over the pack? ... Butler. Likely goal, with his pace. Gears took a lot more than 1-2 steps, and no point Ross shepherding, Gears was past the Freo player. I hope Gears has spent a lot of the week practicing his chaos kicks, has not been doing them too often recently.

No good watching freeze frame, gives you no idea of space and speed. Too much analysis I think. If you analyse the whole game in a similar vein, you would be calling for the dropping of about 12 players.
Inexcusable from the chaos Captain. Chaos is his leadership platform. Better luck this week.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 11:43am
poatina wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 9:55pm But respectful discussion is impossible on this forum, so, like many others, goodbye for good.
See ya - we will miss your 87 posts!
:D :D :wink: . I remember Poatina well, the arsehole hydro scheme were the Commonwealth Bank tried to send me in 1964.

I resigned from the Bank of course. :D

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t subscribe to the drop Geary movement as personally I think he’s very underrated

That said... he’s the captain and that moment was the one for us to win the game.
He needed to make a captain’s play but whether it was a bad decision under pressure or trying something that wasn’t comfortably in his wheelhouse, what he produced wasn’t good enough and it cost us the win or at least stopped us from winning it at that time.

One simply cannot sugar coat that. It wasn’t good enough and from the Captain no less at a critical stage. If that type of disposal is an issue... then he should always look to pass rather than take on something he can’t do.

A challenge for St.Kilda especially under the Richo era has been far to often accepting that those moments happen, are ok or that we have less control over them then our players do.

As I’ve said elsewhere... there were a heap of senior and experienced players that really let the team down and i was hoping that at least 1-2 of them would be made to own it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we need a new capt.... we need someone to step up.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 5:43pm we need a new capt.... we need someone to step up.
Steele

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 5:52pm
The Fireman wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 5:43pm we need a new capt.... we need someone to step up.
Steele
My first thought as well. I don't know if he has the sensibility entirely but he's a natural leader because he has true grit.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Steele
And Wilkie as his deputy!

Midfield led - Backline led
Forwards to take care of business!

It is my barrow and I shall push it!
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Sat 18 Jul 2020 7:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 7:22pm
Steele

May be a touch soon but at this stage there’s nothing to suggest that it isn’t a brilliant early call

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 7:23pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 7:22pm
Steele

May be a touch soon but at this stage there’s nothing to suggest that it isn’t a brilliant early call
The Steele call maybe - but having spent time with Wilkie at a few functions - he is a natural communicator and passionate - and able to feign interest in our mundanity!

JM2C

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I have $2 on King to kick 6 or more tonight @$151 so hoping tonight is the night he clunks those marks and kicks straight.