Changes v Demons

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SunnyErnest
Club Player

Re: Changes v Demons

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 12:58pm It's really hard to know what the selectors will do for the game against Melbourne, but as always they will obviously continue to play their best 22.

Hunter Clark should be a definite recall.

Ed Phillips to me deserves to come back as he has great pace and disposal skills and can play anywhere plus he knows where the goals are.

On last game's form it would seem that Kent (6 disposals) and Hind (7) are the 2 "smalls" who could miss out.

By that prognosis I expect:

Out: Kent, Hind
In: Clark, Phillips

It would really surprise me if they decide to fiddle around with their successful tall defenders, so no chance Callum Wilkie will be dropped.

Jack Bytel has in my view earned his right to remain in the team, he may not have racked up many disposals but he looks to possess composure under pressure and is headed to a break-out game which could be in Alice Springs!
I'm not sure you can say the above that I have bolded. If it were the case then Geary would be out of the team.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 7:36pm
Josh Battle wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 5:01pm Butler has been brilliant this year but he had a poor game against Brisbane. King looked drained and tired. These 2 and a few others could be mentally exhausted and perhaps it’s time to put a bit of fear into the playing list. I reckon if Butler is dropped or managed it will be a wake up call for the rest of the group.

Maybe Hind gets a rest and maybe Paton or Wilkie gets a rest.

One of the main problems we have out on the ground is the lack of talking and direction. Maybe that’s because we have introduced so many players into the group, but I thought our entries i50 were the main reason we couldn’t score. The leaders were poor in the last quarter. Carlisle and Steele were serviceable but Ross and Geary went missing in that last quarter.

I thought Kent and Billings were very good in that last quarter and they worked hard and wanted to make things happen instead of being spectators or just waiting for a handball receive. I wouldn’t be dropping either. Long also showed good energy and he was in there creating mistakes by the opposition with his tackling and pressure. Long stays for mine.
Josh - a bit tough on Butler I think . He wasn’t in the votes, but was more than serviceable. Kicked 2. Gave Kent his goal on a plate. Centred the ball in the 3rd that led to a stoppage and then a goal. Made a long run in the last and very nearly hit up King on a lead ( probably should have had a shot himself ) and laid 5 tackles . Best small forward on the ground, IMHO.

Probably a measure of how high a bar he has set for himself .

Agree with you re Long. Can be a touch hit-and-miss, but I think we are better with him in the team.

Plus remember that Long has only played 40 games. Give him another season of experience and the hit-and-miss will get less and less on the miss side.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Has buttler been off his tucker since the finger in the bum bruhaha?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not sure the club has the same low opinion of the skipper as saintsational does.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 12:47pm Has buttler been off his tucker since the finger in the bum bruhaha?
there was no 'finger in the bum' SK. Now you're putting me off my tucker!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne fans are in the dumps and many expect us to win..
Reason....1) speed, outside run, lack of midfield discipline at the Dees.
But among their optimists, it is pointed out,

“ They really aren't that different to how they played under Richardson, they just have much better players for the gameplan.”
.and the Dees fans seems to say. Play tempo footy mixed with aggressive trench warfare
...and also.have Game plan A and Plan B ready at the touch of a button.

So I ask on the off chance. Do you notice a different kind of game plan compared to Richo?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm

It feels to me like there is an issue of expectations here.

Can’t reasonably expect players to do miracles every week

Secret Kiel
Club Player

freely wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 12:56pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 12:47pm Has buttler been off his tucker since the finger in the bum bruhaha?
there was no 'finger in the bum' SK. Now you're putting me off my tucker!
I didn't study the action too hard so I'll take your word for it. Sorry about lunch.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 1:11pm Melbourne fans are in the dumps and many expect us to win..

“ They really aren't that different to how they played under Richardson, they just have much better players for the gameplan.”
.and the Dees fans seems to say. Play tempo footy mixed with aggressive trench warfare

So I ask on the off chance. Do you notice a different kind of game plan compared to Richo?
Hardly any, the improvement is mainly due to upskilling. A tweak made by Ratts has been to create more "potential to score" opportunities closer to goal.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 1:45pm Hmmm

It feels to me like there is an issue of expectations here.

Can’t reasonably expect players to do miracles every week
After Butler's four goal game I contacted the club to let them know I would have Butler's babies, are you telling me that game was Butler's Haley's Commet?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think Hind should stay in.

Melbourne lack two way running and because of this they are extremely vulnerable in transition.

Hinds pace might just be worth a couple of goals.

Hunter is a no brainer. Kent might be the one to go out.

Roberton has been emergency three weeks straight. Geary might be needing a rest...Maybe.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 2:15pm I think Hind should stay in.

Melbourne lack two way running and because of this they are extremely vulnerable in transition.

Roberton has been emergency three weeks straight. Geary might be needing a rest...Maybe.
Makes sense.
I hope motivation is going strong!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 1:11pm Melbourne fans are in the dumps and many expect us to win..

A marked difference. Rarely do we stop and hold the ball. Players look forward and to the 45 before they look back. They are honouring runners now, honouring instinct with first option.

They are playing a lot less selfish brand of football. No longer are they playing to the mirror image of a besieged, one gear coach. They are being encouraged to use their gears. A key point is the ball in dispute, rather than create a stoppage they will knock it forward if they cannot get the release handball out back.

They are now prepared to get the ball into the forward line quickly, putting both pressure on the opposition's defence as well as giving the forwards a greater chance of competing one out.

The two way running of mids and small forwards has also been a feature.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Roberton was developing into a great leader back there. Seems like he's been a long time out though to be able to pick up where he left off. Would be nice. At the moment, our real leaders on the ground are Membrey, Geary, Ross and - at a pinch - Billings. I see the argument for Steele - but I don't know how vocal he is out there. Mind you, likewise Billings and Billings has been expected to step up for longer.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

For all the palaver elsewhere - BR's post distills things down very very accurate IMHO.

Melbourne's true weakness is speed on turnover - especially off half back. JJ ripped them a new one last week as a case in point. This week - the more speed all over the ground we have; the better. I would be retaining both Hind and Kent. For all the commentary on what's perceived as a low output from Kent - it's all the pressure acts and up-field running that he's measured on (i.e. not purely goals). Kent makes his defender accountable when he gets on his bike (and he does have decent wheels when he gets going).

If Hunter coming in means a like-for-like position wise going out then, it really should be Geary. But- they may choose to retain Geary to play (in the capacity of a defensive forward) on either Hibberd or more likely Salem.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 4:20pm

For all the palaver elsewhere - BR's post distills things down very very accurate IMHO.

Melbourne's true weakness is speed on turnover - especially off half back. JJ ripped them a new one last week as a case in point. This week - the more speed all over the ground we have; the better. I would be retaining both Hind and Kent. For all the commentary on what's perceived as a low output from Kent - it's all the pressure acts and up-field running that he's measured on (i.e. not purely goals). Kent makes his defender accountable when he gets on his bike (and he does have decent wheels when he gets going).

If Hunter coming in means a like-for-like position wise going out then, it really should be Geary. But- they may choose to retain Geary to play (in the capacity of a defensive forward) on either Hibberd or more likely Salem.
I felt Kent had a better game than Billings who I'm clearly cranky with this week. But on Kent he showed on more than one occasion he can work up to the wings and burn off his defender back towards F50. I think he did that at least twice in Q4 so his speed and indurance should see him continue to be selected. I think Hind has to continue to be selected for the same reason although he needs to have a chat to Billings and discusss how they get a few credits back this week.

As sad as it is, Roberton is backup this year. If he's any chance of getting another game this season he has to be selected in the next few weeks to allow him to get match conditioning before finals and even then you'd think that is all he'd be brought in for, match conditioning as a backup player for finals.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Geary had a bit of zip about him last game. His leadership will be important in the "8 point" games.

Clark will be back fresh and Savage needs a run .... so 2 need to make way?

Which 2?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Thu 27 Aug 2020 6:09pm Geary had a bit of zip about him last game. His leadership will be important in the "8 point" games.

Clark will be back fresh and Savage needs a run .... so 2 need to make way?

Which 2?
Bytel, Kent

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

When is the team selected?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 28 Aug 2020 11:25am When is the team selected?
6.20 Pm tonight is when it is announced.

It is most likely already selected as fitness tests etc will all have been done, but we just do not know the outcome yet.

It would seem no debutants though (ie Abbot in for King) as they normally get announced earlier than the time.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Evidently King will be playing.

Max King will play against Melbourne but the Saints won't hesitate to rest their gun youngster if required

Improving midfielder Hunter Clark is one of those Saints to have been rested and he will return to the side to take on Melbourne in Alice Springs on Saturday night.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/491652/-how ... on-on-king
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 28 Aug 2020 5:04pm, edited 2 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Demons Board has a report of Fritch being dropped for being late to training.

Also Gawn and Nathan Jones back in. So the Bro-off is on ;)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Tom Morris also reporting Tom McDonald and James Harmes will be dropped.

If so that is 3 outs. Fritch, McDonald and Harmes.

Gawn and Jones the known ins.

Rumoured to be keeping both rucks, if so that will slow them down. Pruess is not that mobile.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

IN

Ed Phillips,
Hunter Clark

OUT

Carlisle and Bytel both out. Both omitted.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 28 Aug 2020 7:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

DEES;

IN
Josh Wagner,
Max Gawn,
Mitch Brown,
Nathan Jones,
Oscar McDonald,
Trent Rivers

OUT

Bayley Fritsch (Omitted),
Braydon Preuss (Omitted),
James Harmes (Omitted),
Jay Lockhart (Omitted),
Tom McDonald (Omitted),
Tom Sparrow (Injured)