2020 Trade Period

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: 2020 Trade Period

johnearljames wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 11:38pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 11:25pm Viney would be good but can’t see him leaving dees
I heard he was p!ssed at losing VC but still can’t see it
Yeah, nah, maybe. Hmm.....
We need mids that can break lines and hit up targets and with that in mind I’d say no to both Crouch and Viney.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 8:13pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 1:45pm If we can jag either Williams or Crouch as a FA I will be very happy. Then I would package up Carlisle and Dunstan and trade them to Hawthorn for their second round draft pick and on-trade to GWS for Jye Caldwell
IMO I doubt Hawthorn would give up a second rounder for those two players and GWS would want a first rounder probably top 10 for Caldwell.
I think Hawthorn would be crazy not accept Carlisle and Dunstan for their second round draft pick. Lets say the pick is number 25. They get Dunstan who is 25 years old and a ready made midfielder to help in their rebuild and they also get Carlisle who they tried to trade for 4 years ago. I agree though that GWS would probably demand better than 25 for Caldwell. Maybe we could split our first round pick (10ish) for a 18ish and 22ish and give them 22 and 25 for Caldwell and still have 18 to do what we want with it.

So the end result would be:

Lose
pick 10ish, Carlisle and Dunstan

Gain
pick 18ish and Caldwell

Thoughts?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 1:27pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 8:13pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 1:45pm If we can jag either Williams or Crouch as a FA I will be very happy. Then I would package up Carlisle and Dunstan and trade them to Hawthorn for their second round draft pick and on-trade to GWS for Jye Caldwell
IMO I doubt Hawthorn would give up a second rounder for those two players and GWS would want a first rounder probably top 10 for Caldwell.
I think Hawthorn would be crazy not accept Carlisle and Dunstan for their second round draft pick. Lets say the pick is number 25. They get Dunstan who is 25 years old and a ready made midfielder to help in their rebuild and they also get Carlisle who they tried to trade for 4 years ago. I agree though that GWS would probably demand better than 25 for Caldwell. Maybe we could split our first round pick (10ish) for a 18ish and 22ish and give them 22 and 25 for Caldwell and still have 18 to do what we want with it.

So the end result would be:

Lose
pick 10ish, Carlisle and Dunstan

Gain
pick 18ish and Caldwell

Thoughts?
I'd take that deal as Jake is obviously out of favor and contract at season end so its likely we'd get nothing for him should he leave. That leaves #25 for Dunstan which is a bargain though couldn't see Hawthorn needing Luke.

Essendon or Carlton seem to require inside mids.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

A big NO to Jack Viney. Hard at it but has no peripheral vision and is not a creative footballer. His foot skills are on par with Seb Ross. Not what we need. Caldwell went pick 9 in a very good draft just behind Bailey Smith. I see him as the priority and as he's out of contract and a Saints fan who lived just down the road from Moorabbin, we are in the box seat.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 1:39pm A big NO to Jack Viney. Hard at it but has no peripheral vision and is not a creative footballer. His foot skills are on par with Seb Ross. Not what we need. Caldwell went pick 9 in a very good draft just behind Bailey Smith. I see him as the priority and as he's out of contract and a Saints fan who lived just down the road from Moorabbin, we are in the box seat.
I hope we are in the box seat but don't forget that I don't think we are allowed to trade away our first pick again. We have to take a FRDP to the draft this year.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Can we trade next year's first rounder?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Luke Parker

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintPelican66 wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 1:47pm
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 1:39pm A big NO to Jack Viney. Hard at it but has no peripheral vision and is not a creative footballer. His foot skills are on par with Seb Ross. Not what we need. Caldwell went pick 9 in a very good draft just behind Bailey Smith. I see him as the priority and as he's out of contract and a Saints fan who lived just down the road from Moorabbin, we are in the box seat.
I hope we are in the box seat but don't forget that I don't think we are allowed to trade away our first pick again. We have to take a FRDP to the draft this year.
I get where you're coming from but this year is a heavily compromised draft plus Caldwell was a 1st rd pick himself that has been developed around the likes of Kelly, Ward, Whitfield, Hopper and Perryman. He's surely a more rounded version now of his drafted self so, if anything - he's worth a bit more than his original draft pick position. He's a known quantity and precisely the young talent they should not be losing.

If we could get Caldwell for our 1st rd pick - i'd be happy. If we were able to get a little something back from GWS (late 2nd perhaps) as part of it ... I'd be ecstatic.

We've done well since picking Hunter, Coff and Benny P but, in a shallow, compromised draft - I don't trust us to not draft another Dunstan or Acres.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 2:26pm
I get where you're coming from but this year is a heavily compromised draft plus Caldwell was a 1st rd pick himself that has been developed around the likes of Kelly, Ward, Whitfield, Hopper and Perryman. He's surely a more rounded version now of his drafted self so, if anything - he's worth a bit more than his original draft pick position. He's a known quantity and precisely the young talent they should not be losing.

If we could get Caldwell for our 1st rd pick - i'd be happy. If we were able to get a little something back from GWS (late 2nd perhaps) as part of it ... I'd be ecstatic.

We've done well since picking Hunter, Coff and Benny P but, in a shallow, compromised draft - I don't trust us to not draft another Dunstan or Acres.
He didn't debut until round 21 last year and has only played a further 10 games in a compromised season where you really haven to be cautious about what is reality. So is he really a known quantity. Probably not. Be a bit like saying Bytel is a known quantity. AFL executives will stand in I believe and do as much as they can to keep him at GWS. They can't have a repeat of another of their franchises collapsing like GCS did and will be desperate to keep this list together until it wins flags.

takeaway
Club Player

As far as I am aware, we are allowed to trade our 2020 1st round pick, and even use our future 1st round. I thought the rule was clubs must use two first-round picks at the Draft over a rolling four-year period.
We used 1st round picks in 2017 for Clark & Coffield, and 2018 on Max King, so I would say we are fine to use it. Happy to be corrected.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 2:26pm

deleted.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 3:13pm
As far as I am aware, we are allowed to trade our 2020 1st round pick, and even use our future 1st round. I thought the rule was clubs must use two first-round picks at the Draft over a rolling four-year period.
We used 1st round picks in 2017 for Clark & Coffield, and 2018 on Max King, so I would say we are fine to use it. Happy to be corrected.
Actually, you are probably right.

Faulky63
Club Player

Instead of Caldwell (183cm), why not look at Hately (190cm)?
Caldwell's disposal efficiency is 62.3% vs Hately at 79.3% and the kicking efficiency is 53.6% vs 80.9%. Hately is a much bigger bodied midfielder that we could use.
People's thoughts?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Faulky63 wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 10:22am Instead of Caldwell (183cm), why not look at Hately (190cm)?
Caldwell's disposal efficiency is 62.3% vs Hately at 79.3% and the kicking efficiency is 53.6% vs 80.9%. Hately is a much bigger bodied midfielder that we could use.
People's thoughts?
Good call Faulky.
Probably Caldwell because he's Victorian, pretty tough and more explosive with his pace around the contests.
Hately is an Adelaide boy so you'd expect if he wanted to leave that may be his preferred destination.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 2:07pm Can we trade next year's first rounder?
Gill said there's a possibility of trade changes due to covid.. does this mean we can trade further into the future or future draft picks are off the table? Dont know

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I'd rather have Jackson Hatley than Zack Williams but I think GWS would not tolerate any trade talk.