Guess who has a calf strain?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Guess who has a calf strain?

Beno88 wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 9:05am Jack Steele, Brad Crouch, James Frawley, Oscar Clavarino and Shaun McKernan also on light duties. How will we cope with such a casualty list in early Feb?! Our season is doomed.
Is light duties football speak for working from home due to no existent threat of covid-19.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 05 Feb 2021 11:51am
The Billings Method wrote: Fri 05 Feb 2021 11:37am
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 7:00pm I would have thought that with Hannebery's calf and hamstring problems in recent years the team's medical staff will be well practiced in getting him back into shape. The report said "tight calf" which does not mean necessarily that it was an actual injury, so there's no point in jumping to a worst scenario conclusion.

The season is still 6 weeks away - first game against GWS on March 21, so plenty of time for him to be fit by then.

I do agree that the club will be wise to manage his schedule, especially in the first half of the season, because his availability for finals will be crucial.
Tight calf=serious concern. Just another football club euphemism to prevent panic amongst the supporters and keep the memberships rolling in.

Why did they keep it secret for a fortnight? In the end, it doesn't matter what the news is. If he plays, great. If he doesn't we're pretty much in the same situation as we have been for the last couple of years.

Enter, stage right, Brad Crouch, round 3. Time to shine, Brad. Hanner's? It's starting to sound a lot like "A. Hamill, knee, 2 weeks."

Any other footy euphemisms you fellow forumites can think of? My favourite is, " Hamstring awareness" which equals serious strain or tear. For any of us who've done a hammy, you certainly become aware if it pretty quickly.
Sounds like witch talk to me

I prefer to be told what to think and the club assures us it’s just a strain. I look forward to and am confidant of 20+ games, at a level near/at his peak
He can get fit.

He can play well.

For one game.

And each game he runs out hard, the following week he will be in a higher risk zone of re-injury, or have to peddle softly. Isn't that the reality?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
minneapolis
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 05 Feb 2021 3:52pm I heard this morning Hanners will be back to full training Monday.
I Hanna'd this Monday that training will be back to full morning.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021 2:35am
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 7:00pm I would have thought that with Hannebery's calf and hamstring problems in recent years the team's medical staff will be well practiced in getting him back into shape. The report said "tight calf" which does not mean necessarily that it was an actual injury, so there's no point in jumping to a worst scenario conclusion.

The season is still 6 weeks away - first game against GWS on March 21, so plenty of time for him to be fit by then.

I do agree that the club will be wise to manage his schedule, especially in the first half of the season, because his availability for finals will be crucial.
Tight calf=serious concern. Just another football club euphemism to prevent panic amongst the supporters and keep the memberships rolling in.

Why did they keep it secret for a fortnight? In the end, it doesn't matter what the news is. If he plays, great. If he doesn't we're pretty much in the same situation as we have been for the last couple of years.

Enter, stage right, Brad Crouch, round 3. Time to shine, Brad. Hanner's? It's starting to sound a lot like "A. Hamill, knee, 2 weeks."

Any other footy euphemisms you fellow forumites can think of? My favourite is, " Hamstring awareness" which equals serious strain or tear. For any of us who've done a hammy, you certainly become aware if it pretty quickly.

I prefer to be told what to think and the club assures us it’s just a strain. I look forward to and am confidant of 20+ games, at a level near/at his peak
He can get fit.

He can play well.

For one game.

And each game he runs out hard, the following week he will be in a higher risk zone of re-injury, or have to peddle softly. Isn't that the reality?
If we’re not doctors... who’s to know?

Gershwin
Club Player

He can get fit.

He can play well.

For one game.

That's about it.

I'm feeling that when he is fit we play him because his good is very good and then when he is injured we swing someone else into the team and don't sweat it. That is the reality.

summertime and the living is easy ........
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021 12:21pm

He can get fit.

He can play well.

For one game.

If we’re not doctors... who’s to know?
Fair enough.

But neither are the selectors. If the 'Fitness Department' or whatever it is called - and lest we forget, their reports* figured in his recruitment - say he is good to go, he goes in. And what do they know? Science, stats, tests, self-reports from Hanners himself (influenced by Hanners manager of course) ...And so we don't have to know much, do we? I am being a loud mouth supporter here - because within a few years there will be a 'ism word for that - so I know...indulge me at your cost, but really the only things I read say the same message - age, miles, former injuries are all factors in re-injury. So I posted that post about 2018, when Hanners was rested in the forward pocket by Longmiire, after a calf strain -, supposedly 'out of form' at the time. What's the bet he was doing it hard from all the strains and niggles, but still presenting to play? Out of form? Highly suspicious. Cooked? Perhaps...Anyway, it goes back to 2013...and yet he stiill overcame so much to play like a champ even in 2017. after doing a calf.

Yes, I agree, we pay him and play him, cause the that's the way it goes for a team in our position viz-a-viz the cap and our need to turn circles into squares and buy 'somebody' as we had to art the time. If we get 12 games great...If he plays all 22 he should start a chain of rehabilitation centers....and be a billionaire. Go Hanners!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just to put it in perspective and explain why we took the risk on Hannebery

Currently he sits on 109 Brownlow votes

Our next best is Seb Ross on 43

He is a triple AA our next best is 2 players that have one AA

He won the ALFPA Coaches trophy. No other player on the list has

In conclusion
He is our most decorated player by a mile
If he comes good and plays 16-18 games on average for the next few years. It will be a success.
If not
Worth the punt IMO

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Oh, and he’s a premiership player who’s played in a few GFs

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

tight calf = little cow who never shouts

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 10:47am Just to put it in perspective and explain why we took the risk on Hannebery

In conclusion
If he comes good and plays 16-18 games on average for the next few years. It will be a success.
If not
Worth the punt IMO
Wow so he must be by far our best player and really a the stand out choice for Captain then

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 10:47am Just to put it in perspective and explain why we took the risk on Hannebery

In conclusion
If not
Worth the punt IMO
Just for a little more perspective, all those accolades came from 2009-2016.

His accolades from 2017 to present consists of... 6 Brownlow votes :shock:
Last edited by The_Dud on Sun 07 Feb 2021 2:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 10:50am Oh, and he’s a premiership player who’s played in a few GFs
What has Hannebery’s resume got to do with his current value? I struggle to comprehend your point.

Yes he was an elite star of the game!
That is a fact acknowledged by most if not all.

Every great of the game has a use by date, the question is has Dans has been reached or can we RE formulate and extend his shelf life.

To date the answer is a resounding no and given the current pattern it looks more likely than not that Dan we struggle to be on the park consistently for remainder of his Saints contract.

I’m not sure why that is so challenging for you to accept BM.

Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have taken him, he hasn’t been value with leadership, setting standards and mentoring, it just means his injury record over the past 3 seasons would deem it highly unlikely he ever returns to anywhere near his peak.

The swans trade was a salary dump and we were desperate to get a name player to the club and we have a contract in tenure that didn’t fit with what would be normal risk profile of a player of his age and issues, pretty simple in my humble opinion.

He’d be defying normal player history if he was able to turn his injury issues around at this stage of his career.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 11:53am

In conclusion
If not
Worth the punt IMO
Wow so he must be by far our best player and really a the stand out choice for Captain then
He does have a point! The season still hasn't started. A half fit Hannerberry is still better than half the team

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The irritant is the constant defending and everything is okay mentality

A calf strain is fine... it’s no big deal but it’s slightly more concerning for Hannebery of all players

Just like a knee injury would raise eyebrows that little bit more if it happened to King as opposed to Battle

If Ross, Billings, Howard or Marshall had some calf tightness... it wouldn’t even be newsworthy
But it is an eyebrow raiser for the guy that has had his last 4-5 years ruined by soft tissue injuries.

But the constant need to justify the trade and dumb down any concerns is so incredibly tedious at this point

We all hope he comes good but I think even the most optimistic Hannebery fan would be hoping more than believing he’ll be back to his best anytime soon

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep, a tight hamstring/calf in February is nothing to worry about!

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.the ... 50xrw.html

:shock:

The reality is, DH has done sweet FA the last 4 years, and is immensely overpaid for what we get in return, which was the odds-on scenario when we signed him to $4M for 5 years.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 4:00pm Yep, a tight hamstring/calf in February is nothing to worry about!

The reality is, DH has done sweet FA the last 4 years, and is immensely overpaid for what we get in return, which was the odds-on scenario when we signed him to $4M for 5 years.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 59386ef132

Dan Hannebery
Club: St Kilda

SALARY: $600,000-$650,000

COVID SALARY: $432,000-$468,000

St Kilda has long been aggrieved at reports on the scope of Hannebery's contract, a four-year deal with triggers for a fifth season. Instead of earning him up to $800,000 a season, his deal is less than $700,000, still a rich reward but fairer compensation for a player who represented a risk given his groin and soft-tissue concerns of recent years.

There's what you know, what you think you know and reality.

The risk: He has played 13 of 41 possible games.

The myth: We are paying him $800k for 5 years.

The reality: his 12th and 13th game for the club were finals and he did OK.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

And we believe one report over another report why?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 4:29pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 4:00pm Yep, a tight hamstring/calf in February is nothing to worry about!

Dan Hannebery

St Kilda has long been aggrieved at reports on the scope of Hannebery's contract, a four-year deal with triggers for a fifth season. Instead of earning him up to $800,000 a season, his deal is less than $700,000, still a rich reward but fairer compensation for a player who represented a risk given his groin and soft-tissue concerns of recent years.

That was after a long lay off post a soft tissue injury he sustained at training

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 4:37pm And we believe one report over another report why?
Believe what you like.
I believe that club took a risk. I believe it understood the implications of the risk. I believe the list has improved out of sight and millions of wasted salary cap money has been redirected to better players in that time. I believe there was no better choice than Hanners when we took him. I was at the finals, so I know they happened and Hannerbery was a main contributor. I believe we will play finals reqularly for a few years yet.
I can't understand the focus on Hannerbery, its not our money, its the AFL's.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 4:38pm

Dan Hannebery

That was after a long lay off post a soft tissue injury he sustained at training
Make that 11. Came off injured in at least two of those games.
Available about 27% of the time.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 5:05pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 4:38pm

Dan Hannebery

Make that 11. Came off injured in at least two of those games.
Available about 27% of the time.
All the same, I think I'll go with the official game tally.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 4:54pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 4:37pm And we believe one report over another report why?
Believe what you like.
I believe that club took a risk. I believe it understood the implications of the risk. I believe the list has improved out of sight and millions of wasted salary cap money has been redirected to better players in that time. I believe there was no better choice than Hanners when we took him. I was at the finals, so I know they happened and Hannerbery was a main contributor. I believe we will play finals reqularly for a few years yet.
I can't understand the focus on Hannerbery, its not our money, its the AFL's.
All of that is spot on
I reckon another benefit is that it continued to enhance the fairly positive working relationship we have with Sydney when it comes to trading. Whether directly related or not... we got Jones without being dragged over the coals and if it wasn’t in anyway linked to the Hanners deal then IMO it was at least due to knowing that we’d work well with them again later

The carry on with Hanners here is when it’s reported he has a soft tissue injury/strain and people argue that it’s not the least bit concerning

lewdogs
Club Player

What a terrible signing. The club has gone backwards since we got Hannebery in and he wasn't even around to help us make finals against GWS and then win one against the Dogs.

Absolutely SHOCKING signing. Lethlean should be sacked for this, bloke just wanted to help out a mate and is sending this club backwards. Bring me back to the glory days of 2014 please before we had to put up with the likes of Dan Hannebery and Simon Lethlean.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sun 07 Feb 2021 8:44pm What a terrible signing. The club has gone backwards since we got Hannebery in and he wasn't even around to help us make finals against GWS and then win one against the Dogs.

Absolutely SHOCKING signing. Lethlean should be sacked for this, bloke just wanted to help out a mate and is sending this club backwards. Bring me back to the glory days of 2014 please before we had to put up with the likes of Dan Hannebery and Simon Lethlean.
Are you suggesting Hanners is the guy that’s turned us around?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

In conclusion
If not
Worth the punt IMO
I do not understand your appreciation of decorations? His "decorations" came with and from another club which technically rules him out of being "our" most decorated player.

Perhaps we should have offered to pay the last half of Buddy's contract or encouraged Priddis to go around, maybe have talked Judd into a Captain Coach role if being on the park wasn't that important and it was all about decorations.

I hope Hanners can get on the park and allow Crouch & Steele to become formidable enough for our outside runners to become dangerous. I don't know whether his current salary meant we could not court Treloar. That puts the question mark on the punt. (No, that wasn't rhyming slang.)