King out!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: King out!

samuraisaint wrote:
Jacks Back wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 10:15pm
roskilde wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 7:28pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 14 Mar 2021 5:58pm Only St Kilda
Exactly. You just have to laugh.

Someone up there, down there or around here seems to have a permanent grudge against our club.

Dear me.
If it's someone up there then they may not be happy we have used the name "The Saints" and St Kilda which was never the name of a saint at all.

From the following article it looks like St Kilda Victoria was named after a boat, which was named after an island off Scotland which was actually misspelt and started of as Skildir, an old Norse word meaning 'shield.' This has been mis-recorded on a Dutch map from 1583, which has the name as Skildar. These same charts were revised and updated by the Dutch Government in 1592, Skildar now being misrecorded as S.Kilda.

As the Dutch were among the foremost seafarers of this time period, many other countries would base their own official charts on those of the Dutch. British chart makers who used this 1592 map as the basis for their own work, simply assumed that S.Kilda was an abbreviation of St Kilda, and recorded it as such themselves.

https://www.museumoflost.com/who-was-sa ... oe%20Yroke.
St Kilda in Melbourne was named after an old wreck of a New Zealand ship 'Our Lady Of St Kilda' which was moored and abandoned there.

However, there is actually a Gaelic sporting club in Ireland called the ST KILDAS, and they play teams with names like NHMAITIU in County Sligo. I don't know much about them except that the area is a Gaelic speaking place (and yes, I have been there thirty years ago.) I asked an Irish friend of mine (who can't speak Gaelic) about the providence of those teams but he said that St Kilda isn't in Ireland at all and it doesn't make sense. I then showed him a picture of the scoreboard and he was surprised. He couldn't tell me about the other team either, but another mate of mine who can speak Gaelic did. It is a team called 'St Mathew' (NH means Saint or St in Gaelic).
I don’t believe that’s a real team. It was the school team from the drama “Normal People”. I wouldn’t be surprised if the school they attend is named after us.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 15 Mar 2021 11:25pm
samuraisaint wrote:

Someone up there, down there or around here seems to have a permanent grudge against our club.

Dear me.
If it's someone up there then they may not be happy we have used the name "The Saints" and St Kilda which was never the name of a saint at all.

From the following article it looks like St Kilda Victoria was named after a boat, which was named after an island off Scotland which was actually misspelt and started of as Skildir, an old Norse word meaning 'shield.' This has been mis-recorded on a Dutch map from 1583, which has the name as Skildar. These same charts were revised and updated by the Dutch Government in 1592, Skildar now being misrecorded as S.Kilda.

As the Dutch were among the foremost seafarers of this time period, many other countries would base their own official charts on those of the Dutch. British chart makers who used this 1592 map as the basis for their own work, simply assumed that S.Kilda was an abbreviation of St Kilda, and recorded it as such themselves.

St Kilda in Melbourne was named after an old wreck of a New Zealand ship 'Our Lady Of St Kilda' which was moored and abandoned there.

However, there is actually a Gaelic sporting club in Ireland called the ST KILDAS, and they play teams with names like NHMAITIU in County Sligo. I don't know much about them except that the area is a Gaelic speaking place (and yes, I have been there thirty years ago.) I asked an Irish friend of mine (who can't speak Gaelic) about the providence of those teams but he said that St Kilda isn't in Ireland at all and it doesn't make sense. I then showed him a picture of the scoreboard and he was surprised. He couldn't tell me about the other team either, but another mate of mine who can speak Gaelic did. It is a team called 'St Mathew' (NH means Saint or St in Gaelic).
I don’t believe that’s a real team. It was the school team from the drama “Normal People”. I wouldn’t be surprised if the school they attend is named after us.
Never heard of it, but you could be right. I was just searching up the Sligo GAA website (gaelic football and hurling) and couldn't find either of the clubs' names in it. And neither was the sponsor on that scoreboard - no mention of any sports shop in Sligo by that name. http://www.sligogaa.ie/Competition-Team ... ?cs=Senior

EDIT: And yep, you are right. It's from a new popular Irish TV show.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Playing soccer on a golf course, what was he thinking he was doing.
You are supposed to hit the ball with your golf clubs not try to head it into the hole soccer style.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 15 Mar 2021 11:38pm
samuraisaint wrote:

Dear me.

Never heard of it, but you could be right. I was just searching up the Sligo GAA website (gaelic football and hurling) and couldn't find either of the clubs' names in it. And neither was the sponsor on that scoreboard - no mention of any sports shop in Sligo by that name. http://www.sligogaa.ie/Competition-Team ... ?cs=Senior

You probably got the photo from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100505&p=1845417&hi ... e#p1845417
although the photo has disappeared from there.

And as the forum expert on all things GAA, I can tell you the boy can play.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 10:51am
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 15 Mar 2021 11:38pm
samuraisaint wrote:

Dear me.

You probably got the photo from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100505&p=1845417&hi ... e#p1845417
although the photo has disappeared from there.

And as the forum expert on all things GAA, I can tell you the boy can play.
In that thread I was the sole respondent too. LOL!

BTW I went to the GAA second semi final replay between Meath and Dublin at Croke Park back in 1991 - which was another draw. Great skills. Great memories - no all seater stadiums back then, it was like standing in the outer on the gravel at Moorabbin or the Lake Oval back in them days.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Back at the ranch: was it easier for Roughy or Max to make eye contact with the group the day after their respective own goals?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I love the ranch. All nine seasons.