Max King turns down goal kicking help.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Josh Battle
Club Player

Re: Max King turns down goal kicking help.

Roughead chose not to do his regular Wednesday night slot on AFL 360. I was disappointed that the club and Roughy didn’t have the balls to answer questions that all Saints fans want answered

Roughy probably doesn’t get paid anything substantial from Foxfooty so I suppose he couldn’t be stuffed answering questions about the Max King/Lloyd situation and everyone interrogating him about why St Kilda told Max he can’t seek outside help.

I watched a replay of Footy Classified from Monday night and Lloyd said that it usually takes months to get a player confident in his own routine and lots of hard work before you start seeing results and better accuracy. In the meantime we need to see Max happy.

Saints fans want to hang our hats on something positive, so it doesn’t matter how small or how insignificant the changes are, as long as Max is doing things that put a smile on his face. Whether that is at senior level or at VFL level also doesn’t matter. God help those in senior positions, including the Saints COO and the senior coach (and Roughead) if we see the same shite we’ve seen for the last 3 weeks

lewdogs
Club Player

Seems like they're trying to take the spotlight off Max. Which probably makes sense because his goalkicking seems as much psychological as technique based.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Couldn't agree more that it's mostly between the ears but the only way to take him out of the spotlight is to take him off the field.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

When Max marked in the pocket he looked genuinely panicked before his set shot where he did that horrible low kick around the body which sneaked in for a point.

He doesn't want the responsibility at the moment, and that's why he doesn't work hard enough to get the pill.

His current routine is get up, look nervously around, stare wide-eyed at the goal mouth as he walks in, roll the ball nervously around in his hands, lean back, pray for divine intervention....

Has that been coached...what exactly has Roughly been doing with him?

Let Lloyd have a crack

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
SaintJohno
Club Player

I reckon he needs a couple of weeks off footy entirely. Come up to the Goldie and pretend to be Ben. Get the same haircuts, wear a Suns shirt and get some praise in the community. Needs to just enjoy life again.

lewdogs
Club Player

The other this with Roughy on 360 is that we are jetting off today and probably won't be back for two weeks so he may have just wanted time with the family.

On Max, I'd like to see him get that mongrel back. When he's on he's an angry rough player, very competitive, I like that about him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Malcolm Blight article and take ....always a flog but raises valid point here...

I’ve never told this story.”
When Australian football Legend Malcolm Blight leads with that sentence, you know you’re about to hear something interesting.
Speaking on SEN’s Whateley on Thursday, Blight mentioned his interest in the situation surrounding St Kilda forward Max King.
King in the last fortnight reached out to Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd to organise a goal kicking practice session. The two have an existing relationship dating back to junior footy days and the top 10 draft pick was coming off a few poor weeks in front of goal.
However, St Kilda came over the top and put a line through the idea, saying they didn’t want the young key forward having too many voices in his head, given the club employs premiership Hawk Jarryd Roughead as a goal kicking coach.
We’ll let Blight’s story take it from here.
“21 years ago in season 2000 I got a phone call from a young player. A pretty good young forward who was just having trouble getting the ball and I was in commentary at the time and he asked me whether I could spend some time with him and help him with his forward craft and goal kicking,” Blight said.
“And I did. I was in the media obviously. I met him in Melbourne, we went to a hotel room and we went through a whole host of things.
“I did ask him to go to his club and just make sure it was alright.
“The great Ron Barassi once said you not only use all the brains you’ve got, but you use all the brains you can borrow. Not anyone knows everything.
“So I was really pleased when Matthew Lloyd got that phone call from Max King, because you know who the young player was that rang me 21 years ago? Matthew Lloyd.
“I’ve never told this story. I don’t mean to embarrass him. The football boss at Essendon at the time said, ‘oh do you just want to make a headline?’.
“I said listen mate I don’t need a headline.
“So I’ve never told the story in 21 years. The reason why I’m telling it is that it was great that Matthew Lloyd tried to pass that on. Pass some of his wisdom on like I tried to do with him.
“For the life of me … for a club to think they know everything, I think is a folly.”
King and the Saints take on Sydney at the SCG on Saturday afternoon.
“I did ask him to go to his club and just make sure it was alright.
“The great Ron Barassi once said you not only use all the brains you’ve got, but you use all the brains you can borrow. Not anyone knows everything.
“So I was really pleased when Matthew Lloyd got that phone call from Max King, because you know who the young player was that rang me 21 years ago? Matthew Lloyd.
“I’ve never told this story. I don’t mean to embarrass him. The football boss at Essendon at the time said, ‘oh do you just want to make a headline?’.
“I said listen mate I don’t need a headline.
“So I’ve never told the story in 21 years. The reason why I’m telling it is that it was great that Matthew Lloyd tried to pass that on. Pass some of his wisdom on like I tried to do with him.
“For the life of me … for a club to think they know everything, I think is a folly.”
King and the Saints take on Sydney at the SCG on Saturday afternoon.

“Yeah….nah””
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Jeez. It's no longer just the fan base. Now the entire footy establishment thinks our club's run by idiots.

lewdogs
Club Player

I guess there's one big difference. Malcolm didn't want a headline and Matthew did.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yep cause that’s the main point?

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

they didn’t want the young key forward having too many voices in his head ??? what a load of crap...now im really worried about this club.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

lewdogs wrote: Thu 03 Jun 2021 11:00am The other this with Roughy on 360 is that we are jetting off today and probably won't be back for two weeks so he may have just wanted time with the family. On Max, I'd like to see him get that mongrel back. When he's on he's an angry rough player, very competitive, I like that about him.
Think Jarryd mostly uses skype for his spot on 360

Seeya
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

All I know is all of this media attention is disastrous for the young fella
His heads already farked this is the last thing he needs

Club has been silly here let’s be honest

Hope he plays a blinder against syd. That’s all we can hope for

#1 Ryder fan
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

heaven help us if another younger brother shows us UP (McClartin)

Seeya