Votes v Lions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Votes v Lions

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:25am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:06am
The_Dud wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 9:58am Pretty sure Seb won this award in 2017.

"But nobody votes for him!"

:roll:
Our Past Winners are:

2008: Nick Riewoldt
2009: Lenny Hayes
2010: Lenny Hayes and Brendon Goddard
2011: Nick Dal Santo
2012: Lenny Hayes
2013: Leigh Montagna
2014: Lenny Hayes
2015: Jack Steven
2016: Jack Steven
2017: Seb Ross
2018: Jack Steven
2019: Rowan Marshall
2020: Jack Steele

I don't think we have missed the mark - since 2015 we have matched the Trevor Barker Award - except for 2019 when history has shown RoMa was Robbed.
No one would hold it against you if you are written

2021: Jack Steele
Until this week Brad Crouch could still mathematically tie with Jack - If he polled BOG for rounds 17-23 and Jack did not poll another vote.

Depending on how far we go in the Finals - Crouch can poll in another 10 games (50 votes) and is only 35 votes behind Steele :wink: But I think if we are going to hold up the Silverware at the end of the year - Jack is GOING to Poll

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

The coaches ‘robbed’ Marshall did they?

Did they have a vendetta against him??

Or perhaps
SS overrated Marshall a little bit, but more likely underrated Seb Ross!

As I said
The most credentialed whipping boy in StK FC history

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:58am The coaches ‘robbed’ Marshall did they?

Did they have a vendetta against him??

Or perhaps
SS overrated Marshall a little bit, but more likely underrated Seb Ross!

As I said
The most credentialed whipping boy in StK FC history
Yep

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The haters still hate. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

While some may believe Dunstan is a ball butcher and Seb is just a whipping boy, you can't deny the fact that there is very little between them in terms of turnovers and clangers over their careers. Interestingly, both their best seasons to date are in the same years but between their best and their worst years, Dunstan has been more consistent. In fact, they rate very similarly in all areas over the duration. Both solid C to B grade footballers, with the big difference being that Seb's 3 best years were outstanding in terms of accumulation of disposals and he won a couple of B&F's however I think he also recorded his record turnover effort of 10 in that period. He really is an amazing athlete, much better than Dunstan in regards to stamina and pace.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 11:17am

It’s never going to be a unanimous decision to agree with EVERYONE else or agree with BOG votes or the most influential player in a game. There’s only a difference of opinion saynta. You are the person who introduced the word ‘hate’ And...

The threads where people used the word ‘cancer’ to describe one of our players, now that’s a different story

B.M keeps telling us Seb is under rated. B.M has told us in about 50 posts and countless threads over the last 2 and a half years how many possessions Seb was credited with and how many times the majority of umpires or commentators or the coaching staff (under the former coach known as Cho) thought Seb was the best player in a game, but….

We’re all allowed to have an opinion.

Some people value 15 possessions, and some contested marks (plus a goal or two) from RoMa (as well as his ruck work) MORE than 30-40 odd possessions from Seb. It’s that simple. If you go back to the Trevor Barker Medal in 2017 and in 2019, I doubt very much if there were people posting after Seb won the awards and displayed ‘hate’ or were flat out rude or disrespectful. You might get the odd idiot, but most of the regulars haven’t.

Most of the fans and most of the regulars on this website haven’t thrown disgusting words around when talking about Seb and IF someone points to deficiencies in a player or trying to trade out a player, that’s just the nature of the cut throat competitive business of professional footy.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 11:39am
saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 11:17am

There’s only a difference between of opinion saynta. You are the person who introduced the word ‘hate’ And...

Some people value 15 possessions, and some contested marks (plus a goal or two) from RoMa (as well as his ruck work) MORE than 30-40 odd possessions from Seb. It’s that simple.

It’s never going to be a unanimous decision to agree with EVERYONE else or agree with BOG votes or the most influential player in a game.

The threads where people used the word ‘cancer’ to describe one of our players, now that’s a different story

B.M keeps telling us Seb is under rated. B.M has told us in about 50 posts and countless threads over the last 2 and a half years how many possessions Seb was credited with and how many times the majority of umpires or commentators or the coaching staff (under the former coach known as Cho) thought Seb was the best player in a game

Most of the fans and most of the regulars on this website haven’t thrown disgusting words around and IF someone points to deficiencies in a player or trying to trade out a player, that’s just the nature of the cut throat competitive business of professional footy.
As you said, a difference of opinion. We certainly have a difference of opinion here. How the f*** can anyone give votes to 15 players in the Lions game and not include a player who had over 20 possessions unless there was something else at play. I call it hate, you can call it whatever you f****** like. :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 11:34am While some may believe Dunstan is a ball butcher and Seb is just a whipping boy, you can't deny the fact that there is very little between them in terms of turnovers and clangers over their careers. Interestingly, both their best seasons to date are in the same years but between their best and their worst years, Dunstan has been more consistent. In fact, they rate very similarly in all areas over the duration. Both solid C to B grade footballers, with the big difference being that Seb's 3 best years were outstanding in terms of accumulation of disposals and he won a couple of B&F's however I think he also recorded his record turnover effort of 10 in that period. He really is an amazing athlete, much better than Dunstan in regards to stamina and pace.
What are you doing CQ S? You’re underrating Seb’s achievements by stating an opinion (backed up with facts mind you) that could be deemed as negative… You’re a hater!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 11:51am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 11:34am While some may believe Dunstan is a ball butcher and Seb is just a whipping boy, you can't deny the fact that there is very little between them in terms of turnovers and clangers over their careers. Interestingly, both their best seasons to date are in the same years but between their best and their worst years, Dunstan has been more consistent. In fact, they rate very similarly in all areas over the duration. Both solid C to B grade footballers, with the big difference being that Seb's 3 best years were outstanding in terms of accumulation of disposals and he won a couple of B&F's however I think he also recorded his record turnover effort of 10 in that period. He really is an amazing athlete, much better than Dunstan in regards to stamina and pace.
What are you doing CQ S? You’re underrating Seb’s achievements by stating an opinion that could be deemed as negative… You’re a hater!

Hit a nerve didn't I. :wink: :wink: :wink: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) :D :roll:

PS. I thought CQ's post was more than reasonable.
Last edited by saynta on Fri 16 Jul 2021 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 11:53am
What are you doing CQ S? You’re underrating Seb’s achievements by stating an opinion that could be deemed as negative… You’re a hater!

Stop pinching my lines :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 11:54am

Stop pinching my lines :wink:
News to me. :wink:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

PS. I thought CQ's post was more than reasonable.
Apologies. I forgot to +1 the post by CQ. I also forgot the sarcasm emoji on my post

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The big difference between Sebs best and Dunstans

Is Seb was excellent from 2016-2019 in a 4 year stretch
TBA finishes
2016 - 6th
2017 - 1st
2018 - 2nd
2019 - 1st

Luke has been consistently outstanding for only 6 weeks

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The issue with Seb is that the team is improving as a whole but he has stayed stagnant, or gone backwards.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Playing a different role

And if he stagnated at the standard he was at, he’d be happy with that

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 5:40pm Playing a different role

Exactly, because he's not good enough to be a starting mid in a finals team.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Or he’s just a bit more flexible

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 5:42pm

What a f****** offensive comment and so f****** wrong.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 6:05pm

Well he's not a starting mid in our team and we're not even in the 8 yet... :roll:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 6:05pm

I'll preface this by saying, I can't remember, but the answer lies in where he started in our two finals last year.

This is not meant to disrespect Seb but I'm quite happy that he's dropping down in our ratings of our mids. The key observation is how many finals teams have a 5th or 6th midfielder with Seb's achievements. Surely this can only be a positive?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The other thing is that Seb has become such a hot button topic on this forum that discussion generally tends to go to the hyperbole.

The criticism is often harsh and the praise overblown

He’s neither a mediocre player or one of the game’s elites. Some don’t praise him easily whilst others respond to any criticism like it’s sacrilege.

I like him… really rate him and have never questioned his talent as a top 22… at the same time, there have been times where I’ve really thought he needed to do more.

He’s playing well at the moment.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 6:33pm The other thing is that Seb has become such a hot button topic on this forum that discussion generally tends to go to the hyperbole.

The criticism is often harsh and the praise overblown

He’s neither a mediocre player or one of the game’s elites. Some don’t praise him easily whilst others respond to any criticism like it’s sacrilege.

I like him… really rate him and have never questioned his talent as a top 22… at the same time, there have been times where I’ve really thought he needed to do more.

He’s playing well at the moment.
Great summary skeptic. Spot on!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

In all due respect, for 4 years, Seb was an outstanding athlete who became an expert at accumulating massive numbers of uncontested possessions and thousands of sideways metres, then he learnt to swim between the flags.
He is currently impacting in a very meaningful way and I'm absolutely chuffed he is a second string mid in our team