The Carter Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

happy feet
Club Player

Re: The Carter Review

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 10:15am Happy feet

It’s not a prediction it’s an opinion

I can have any opinion I like!!!

As far as speaking on behalf of Tasmania

Well, I’m from there, my entire family live there, I go there regularly (well not right now)

I have a little understanding of the culture down there

I left when I was 16 and that was 30 odd years ago

Still consider myself Tasmanian- as does Nick Reiwoldt

We are very proud and parochial people
Yes you are entitled to your opinion and it counts just as much as anyone else’s.

What you shouldn’t do is abuse or belittle or slag off at others by way of narky comments where their opinions differ. That’s what got you a 1 day ban. Then you’re back on here at 12.01am to post again! Seriously B.M you need some other interest, this is not healthy.

For what it’s worth, my opinion is that I would like to see a team in Tassie too but I think the decision makers might be concerned they will be too successful.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

So you’re telling me how to live my life now.

Not half arrogant?!

I find myself with plenty of spare time atm, and will do with that as I please

Interesting that you (sort of) agree with me, but still find the time to argue with me. And be careful not to fall off that high horse you’re on. It’s a long way down.

BTW it was worth the ban, to tell someone they can f*** off given their comments.

Did you enjoy me getting a ban?!

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 12:46pm So you’re telling me how to live my life now.

Not half arrogant?!

I find myself with plenty of spare time atm, and will do with that as I please

Interesting that you (sort of) agree with me, but still find the time to argue with me. And be careful not to fall off that high horse you’re on. It’s a long way down.

BTW it was worth the ban, to tell someone they can f*** off given their comments.

Did you enjoy me getting a ban?!
In any mature relationship friends can agree, disagree and agree to disagree.

Your comment about high horses has a bit of the pot & kettle syndrome about it.I was a little surprised that you lost it in such a manner. I was surprised at the ban, I thought you were a bit of a protected species on here. I really couldn’t care less if you were here or not.

Your comment about what you do in your life is entirely spot on and I apologise for my comment about that.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 1:40am North south divide only exists in football terms because of localised leagues - and the playing of intrastate rep games.

Local towns get behind their teams eg/Burnie

Regions get behind teams eg/ if Devonport played Clarence in a GF the supporters from the NW would barrack for Devonport

If Glenorchy played Port Melbourne in a game
All Tasmanians would support the Tassie side

All Tasmanian cricket followers follow the Hobart based Tasmanian side. I do and I haven’t lived there for 30 years!!!

Put an AFL team in Tassie
And watch a state unite
Like when the Eagles and the Crows joined the AFL
When I lived in Launceston, the North hated the South and it wasn't about football. It was about where the money was spent. In the South.

The Southern part of the State didn't even want to acknowledge the North even existed.

happy feet
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 2:15pm
B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 1:40am North south divide only exists in football terms because of localised leagues - and the playing of intrastate rep games.

Regions get behind teams eg/ if Devonport played Clarence in a GF the supporters from the NW would barrack for Devonport

All Tasmanian cricket followers follow the Hobart based Tasmanian side. I do and I haven’t lived there for 30 years!!!

And watch a state unite
When I lived in Launceston, the North hated the South and it wasn't about football. It was about where the money was spent. In the South.

The Southern part of the State didn't even want to acknowledge the North even existed.
Boag’s v Cascade

saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 2:20pm
saynta wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 2:15pm

And watch a state unite

Boag’s v Cascade
Exactly. People in the North drank Boags and thought Cascade tasted like cat's piss. I tried a can once and you know what ? They were right.

The only thing the North and south had in common was their dislike of mainlanders.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am not against a team in Tasmania, only against any suggestion in should be the Saints.

The Saints have had their fair share of Tassie players over the years but now the number of ACT players is mounting up.

Sanctorum
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Wed 18 Aug 2021 5:19pm Why is Tasmania ‘indisputably entitled to have the 19th licence for a team, when they have never had a team to date? I’m interested in what your thoughts are on this?
Happy to answer that "happy feet" - Tasmania as a foundation state of the Commonwealth has a fundamental right to take part in what the AFL terms a "national competition", no less than the other 5 mainland states of Australia if the case stacks up, which the Carter Review says it does.

Like Victoria, SA and WA, Tassie has always been regarded as a "AFL State" with strong support and a keen interest in the AFL competition and now that the Tasmanian Government has committed to ensuring its financial viability there is no reason for the AFL to vacillate and deny them their "place in the sun".

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’ll tell you right now

Put a team in Tas - the entire state would follow it!

Maybe 8 games in Hobart and 3 played in Launceston

It would sell out Bellerive and York Park every game.

happy feet
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 4:01pm
happy feet wrote: Wed 18 Aug 2021 5:19pm Why is Tasmania ‘indisputably entitled to have the 19th licence for a team, when they have never had a team to date? I’m interested in what your thoughts are on this?
Happy to answer that "happy feet" - Tasmania as a foundation state of the Commonwealth has a fundamental right to take part in what the AFL terms a "national competition", no less than the other 5 mainland states of Australia if the case stacks up, which the Carter Review says it does.

Like Victoria, SA and WA, Tassie has always been regarded as a "AFL State" with strong support and a keen interest in the AFL competition and now that the Tasmanian Government has committed to ensuring its financial viability there is no reason for the AFL to vacillate and deny them their "place in the sun".
Thank you for a great answer.

I would not be opposed to the Tassie Saints as long as we get the same deal as GWS and GCS.

Inaugural President Nick Riewoldt. Gosh just imagine if the Doc were around to rally the locals.

Sanctorum
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 4:37pm I would not be opposed to the Tassie Saints as long as we get the same deal as GWS and GCS.

Inaugural President Nick Riewoldt. Gosh just imagine if the Doc were around to rally the locals.
Living in Brisbane I guess it wouldn't bother me much if St Kilda were to move their team to Tasmania.

Indeed, in some respects I think it could be a very good move, especially the expectation that it would give the club greater financial security (backing of Tasmanian Govt, many more members) and a stronger identity as the sole team from that state.

However I can't see it happening as it is likely that the Victorian based members/supporters are strongly opposed, and I can't see the President and his board of directors making any decisions in this regard that members won't support.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 5:48pm
happy feet wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 4:37pm I would not be opposed to the Tassie Saints as long as we get the same deal as GWS and GCS.

Living in Brisbane I guess it wouldn't bother me much if St Kilda were to move their team to Tasmania.

Indeed, in some respects I think it could be a very good move, especially the expectation that it would give the club greater financial security (backing of Tasmanian Govt, many more members) and a stronger identity as the sole team from that state.

However I can't see it happening as it is likely that the Victorian based members/supporters are strongly opposed, and I can't see the President and his board of directors making any decisions in this regard that members won't support.
Yep. I certainly would be opposed as would my large Saints supporting family.

Without substantial Government money to the tune of around 20 million per year initially a Tasmanian side, even a transplanted one would wither and die.

happy feet
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 5:48pm

Your probably right. We would need to become a complete financial disaster to precipitate a Tasmanian move.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why would StK move

They have just built a 40M facility at Moorabbin and have 55K members

Financial wreck, but the AFL will pick up the bill. And gotta love equalisation

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 6:02pm Why would StK move

The AFL picking up the tab and equalisation has not helped us win a Premiership. The draft is compromised and free agency favours the powerful clubs. I’m concerned we are in the middle ground and will languish there.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 12:15pm
B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 6:02pm Why would StK move

The AFL picking up the tab and equalisation has not helped us win a Premiership. The draft is compromised and free agency favours the powerful clubs. I’m concerned we are in the middle ground and will languish there.
We got to grand finals in 2009 and 2010 with a dodgy self interested coach. Just imagine what we could achieve with a half decent one.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Who do we consider a half decent coach?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 3:01pm Who do we consider a half decent coach?
Clarko.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How’d he go this year?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Since 2015

How good have the Hawks actually been??