Lyon Pulls out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon Pulls out

There is no doubt Lyon's arrogance cost him the job and TBH Carlton are probably better off without him!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

And he hasn't been a particularly good coach for years.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 10:41pm And he hasn't been a particularly good coach for years.
He's a property steward now :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 10:41pm And he hasn't been a particularly good coach for years.
He was always only an adequate coach. A good coach would have won us two flags with the players he had at his disposal.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 11:38am You keep mentioning we were 19-0

Shouldn’t that mean we probably should’ve won the flag?!
You have to get in a GF to win one
Basic footy rule but you know that
GT clearly didn’t
Anyhow keep telling Nick Riewoldt how he knows nothing and you and SS psychologists who were in the huddles match day know more..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 4:47pm Fox Footy and Kayo have been playing the best grannies in VFL/AFL (as voted by viewers I think) and the 2009 GF is one of them

I watched the first half and most of the third quarter (again…after enduring it some years back when these sort of debates first started on sainsational) and my opinion is no different. It was a typical final in wet weather that had many lead changes. We were not dominating the play by any stretch for any extended period of time and neither were the Cats.

The Cats started the match with the first 3 goals.* Was this symbolic of Ross Lyon coached teams? Anyhow…the game unfolds and everyone has different views, but you have try and watch the game as a neutral observer without listening to ( or being brainwashed ) by the excuses from a losing coach. There were key moments and there were acts of brilliance and bravery and there were errors..but the game was there to be won in that second half and especially in that last quarter.

Which team would you prefer to be at 3 quarter time? The team in front by 7 points or the team that was behind?

Typically (for Ross Lyon coached teams in finals) it was us doing the chasing and the other team seemed to kick their goals cleaner and with more of a strategy rather than our scrappy goals. There was only 1 really bad miss in the first half and that was the snap from Schneider early in the first quarter. We kicked a fair few points but this was a wet day and we had snaps and rushed behinds in the second quarter as well as the set shot miss from Milney

It was a tight first half and Geelong were in front by 2 goals with less than 90 seconds to go in the second quarter. They were the better team, even if they did get that easy goal by Hawkins which was gifted to them by Zac Dawson and which was also an incorrect decision by the goal umpire and the field umpires. We scrambled the ball forward and got TWO late goals courtesy of a toe poke off the ground by Kosi and a payback goal by the umps. They paid a free in the goal square against Milburn for demonstrative conduct towards an umpire (just so every one would feel like the result was not going to be affected by the Hawkins error).

The commentators kept highlighting our dominance for inside 50’s in the first 3 quarters but this was a misleading stat, because they weren’t clean i50’s. The misses from Milne and McQualter and Schneids in that first half were bad but they weren’t catastrophic and no different to any other game where these things happens regularly.

The third quarter was brutal with contest after contest and at one stage there was no score for about ten minutes with both teams struggling to get clear inside 5o entries. Scores were tied or close to tied for most of the quarter and we just managed to get a late goal and get our noses in front.

St Kilda were 7 points up at 3 quarter time.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2 ... 90926.html

As brutal as it was and as tight as it was, you knew that smothers and tackles and defensive play wasn’t going to be the difference. You knew that Jason Blake was a very very slim chance of being the match winner. You knew in the end that the winner would be the team who was better drilled in scoring goals and brave enough to continue trying to score.

I didn’t bother watching the last quarter. I know which team did not score and I know which team scored 3 goals

*they also kicked the last 3 of the match
Yeah you watched it without an agenda
You KNEW in game day which team was gonna win , heck you knew even when we finished the year as the best H/A side all year but just forgot to tell us all on here beforehand cause like so many you’re a superstar coach 10 years later.... :D

The FACTS were “not brainwashed by a Ross Lyon media blitz” lol MANY impartial observers watching that game know we had and did not take our chances with most observing after the game we certainly had the better of them early in terms of inside 50 dominance.
I went to the game and felt at half time those misses (so huge in a tough scrappy final) would come back to haunt. They did.
That’s execution on any level but that FACT does t fit your Lyon bashing narrative
I’ve highlighted the key but from your post and left the rest of the subjective opinion stuff out because it’s boorish reading.
As you note we were in the game right to the death
Must’ve been a deplorable coaching effort to lose by such a slender margin..,, :D

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 10:46am
He was always only an adequate coach. A good coach would have won us two flags with the players he had at his disposal.
So lame
What does the measure say about your GT love child who couldn’t even get us there??
Funny stuff

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 9:14pm There is no doubt Lyon's arrogance cost him the job and TBH Carlton are probably better off without him!
Your view fair enough
I think he saw Carlton up close late when they clearly botched the approach and realised this wasn’t for him
Facts are they really wanted Clarkson .....ended up with Voss.... :D
That says more about Carlton as a rabble than Lyon
Any coach would be wise to think twice about going to Carlton ...ask Brett Ratten

“Yeah….nah””
Josh Battle
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 12:55pm
You KNEW in game day which team was gonna win , heck you knew even when we finished the year as the best H/A side all year but just forgot to tell us all on here beforehand cause like so many you’re a superstar coach 10 years later.... :D

The FACTS were “not brainwashed by a Ross Lyon media blitz” lol MANY impartial observers watching that game know we had and did not take our chances with most observing after the game we certainly had the better of them early in terms of inside 50 dominance.
I went to the game and felt at half time those misses (so huge in a tough scrappy final) would come back to haunt. They did.
That’s execution on any level but that FACT does t fit your Lyon bashing narrative
I’ve highlighted the key but from your post and left the rest of the subjective opinion stuff out because it’s boorish reading.
Must’ve been a deplorable coaching effort to lose by such a slender margin..,, :D
Maybe one day try analysing the match - quarter by quarter - instead of attacking someone sentence by sentence

Do smiley emojis add weight to a person’s sledging attempts?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 5:00pm

Maybe one day try analysing the match - quarter by quarter - instead of attacking someone sentence by sentence

I think that’s unfair
Smiley emojis are a really important communication tool especially for those visually impaired and I think to dismiss their relevance is a slight on all those who enjoy a good emoji :wink:
That aside, I just go to and watch the game with both eyes open
Suggest you give it a go instead of attempting to appeal to the popular opinion and win fan votes on an Internet forum or even better still, try muster an independent football view of your own instead of deliberately attacking someone’s post?
I’ve shared my views multiple times
I don’t like people re-writing history telling us all they know more than our players who worked for Lyon (I think personally Ross might be an arse but that’s not the point)
Love to hear your view/logic on why Lyon was a Shyte coach?

“Yeah….nah””
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Goodwin only needed one GF attempt. ...
and there'll be no " if the ball bounced this way instead of that way" rubbish and excuses.... it was an emphatic win.

And his team is improving year by year.
This is who you call a good coach.
:wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep. That's what good coaches do,

Josh Battle
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 6:44pm

I think that’s unfair
Smiley emojis are a really important communication tool especially for those visually impaired and I think to dismiss their relevance is a slight on all those who enjoy a good emoji :wink:
Suggest you give it a go instead of attempting to appeal to the popular opinion and win fan votes on an Internet forum or even better still, try muster an independent football view of your own instead of deliberately attacking someone’s post?
I don’t like people re-writing history telling us all they know more than our players who worked for Lyon (I think personally Ross might be an arse but that’s not the point)
Forget about my opinion

How many coaches in the last 40 years have had their team lose a Grand Final after being in front at 3 quarter time?

History baby…history baby!!

Josh Battle
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 10:55pm Goodwin only needed one GF attempt. ...
and there'll be no " if the ball bounced this way instead of that way" rubbish and excuses.... it was an emphatic win.

Goodwin played his role, but I wouldn’t be singing his praises too loudly

I thought it was symbolic that Gawny lifted Simon up over his head. The brilliance of Gawn and their elite players have carried Goodwin

I think Chocco was the difference. It certainly wasn’t Richo because he was there last year and they didn’t even make finals

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:21pm

I think that’s unfair
Forget about my opinion

How many coaches in the last 40 years have had their team lose a Grand Final after being in front at 3 quarter time?

How many have won it without getting past a prelim ?? (cause I keep hearing how good GT is????)
And where were you “baby” when we were constantly winning telling us the coach was a dud????
Another hindsight hero !! Woohoo you’re a gun !!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:26pm
samoht wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 10:55pm Goodwin only needed one GF attempt. ...

Goodwin played his role, but I wouldn’t be singing his praises too loudly

I thought it was symbolic that Gawny lifted Simon up over his head. The brilliance of Gawn and their elite players have carried Goodwin

I think Chocco was the difference. It certainly wasn’t Richo because he was there last year and they didn’t even make finals
Good shout (finally!)
Maybe their best players lifted when it mattered and the coaching work made eff all difference in the end

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think that’s unfair
Lyon was a novice who stuffed up the biggest opportunity our football club had in the last 50 years

He choked and he hasn’t been able to perform on the biggest stage and he failed on several occasions

Many very good coaches in VFL/AFL have not had the chances that Lyon had.

History has a way of sorting out who is a great coach or not. Lyon doesn’t even come close

History judges those who have achieved the ultimate success versus those who pretend that they should have

History has a funny way of clarifying what is real compared to opinions from internet heroes and special comments guys on Channel 10 or Channel 7

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:43pm

I think that’s unfair
Forget about my opinion

How many have won it without getting past a prelim ?? (cause I keep hearing how good GT is????)
And where were you “baby” when we were constantly winning telling us the coach was a dud????

Just 1

His first name is Ross and his last name is Lyon

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:51pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:43pm

I think that’s unfair
Forget about my opinion

Just 1

His first name is Ross and his last name is Lyon
And still our most successful coach in 40 years
LMAO :D

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:48pm

I think that’s unfair
Lyon was a novice who stuffed up the biggest opportunity our football club had in the last 50 years

He choked and he hasn’t been able to perform on the biggest stage and he failed on several occasions

Many very good coaches in VFL/AFL have not had the chances that Lyon had.

History has a way of sorting out who is a great coach or not. Lyon doesn’t even come close

History judges those who have achieved the ultimate success versus those who pretend that they should have

History has a funny way of clarifying what is real compared to opinions from internet heroes and special comments guys on Channel 10 or Channel 7
History is all you have cause when we were winning under Lyon you weren’t here telling us all what a failure he was?
You still ignore the fact THE PLAYERS (who know) often mention him in awe as a good coach
Don’t worry bout channel 7/10 commentators having no idea
Check the footy brains of some on here....utter garbage , fanciful stuff

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Don’t be a hypocrite Teflon. You’re always going on about not settling for second

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Stan Alves had the honesty,courage and good graces to admt that he choked, froze in 1997.

No one could accuse Lyin of possessing any of those virtues or character traits, which is a pity because I believe the real reason that he left Ball sitting on the pine was because he also choked/froze at the crucial time.

I will never forgve him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

What’s odd is that people like Teflon keep telling us that a few champion players reckon Lyon is a good coach?

What did you expect them to say…that he’s shyte? You’re a joke mate

It’s like when Roo retired and people were saying get him back to the St Kilda Football club. What did they think…that Roo will somehow help us achieve the ultimate success

What’s Roo’s speciality? List management? Administration? Or Development? Or is he an authority on coaching?
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 26 Sep 2021 12:08am, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lyon had the best team in it in 2009

Lost

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 12:08am Lyon had the best team in it in 2009

Lost
You walk into a casino with a full wallet (a champion list that had been built by others and gifted to you)…

And you lose a couple of big hands (but hey…you were pretty good and got damn close …TWICE)

You keep trying and you spend every last cent and then borrow a bit and blow that as well (but that’s ok according to some because you at least gave it your best shot)

He moved on from St Kilda and his legacy was that we got fleeced and we had an empty wallet.

Teflon calls that success. Teflon thinks that Lyon is our most successful coach in 40 years

I know he’s not alone. There are plenty of people who measure success as just purely the win loss ratio during Lyon’s tenure or the fact that we made Grand Finals.

They will ignore the fact that we did not build for sustained success. They forget the mistakes and they ignore the lost opportunity and they certainly also ignore how far it set us back…

Sorry, I forgot that Lyon also had the best winning streak of any St Kilda coach ever in our history. I’ll try not to disrespect that success from now on