Dirty Laundry - Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dirty Laundry - Dunstan

Dunstan had 100+ games as a chief inside mid and has proven in that time that he was bog standard fare

He can cry and moan all he likes but the truth is with him in the team .... in his preferred role as a one dimensional pure inside mid ....... we ain't gunna win a Premiership

So we now we move on to hopefully a better upgrade

He should be very happy he got to play 100+ games cause in truth he likely wouldn't have got a game in any of the top 8 teams over the last decade

Luke should be thankful ..... not thankless

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Interesting stat this year is that Dunstan went inside 50 ..... 60 times this year for 2 goal assists - that's 1 in 30

All our other mids - Steele, Crouch, Jones, Billings, Ross are 1 in 10 or lower for inside50/GA comparison

Now of course some of those GAs might come when the player is already inside 50 but 60 times Dunstan kicked or handballed the ball inside 50 and only 2 direct goals came from this ..... is that him missing targets or our guys missing goals ...... ok we missed some goals but I reckon the issue was more him not hitting targets which we know he struggled with

Bottom line one in 30 ain't good enough and doesn't cut the mustard especially when your team mates in similar roles are going 3 times a better rate

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 4:58am Interesting stat this year is that Dunstan went inside 50 ..... 60 times this year for 2 goal assists - that's 1 in 30

All our other mids - Steele, Crouch, Jones, Billings, Ross are 1 in 10 or lower for inside50/GA comparison

Now of course some of those GAs might come when the player is already inside 50 but 60 times Dunstan kicked or handballed the ball inside 50 and only 2 direct goals came from this ..... is that him missing targets or our guys missing goals ...... ok we missed some goals but I reckon the issue was more him not hitting targets which we know he struggled with

Bottom line one in 30 ain't good enough and doesn't cut the mustard especially when your team mates in similar roles are going 3 times a better rate
I always look for goal assists per inside 50. It’s one of the key stats. Maybe he should aim for less inside 50s.

Where does he stand in Brownlow votes per goal assist?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
spert
Saintsational Legend

I guess Luke might have been a bit peeved in the VFL to see Hill getting continual games this season for a string of poor performances, which were justified by Ratts who blamed others for not kicking the ball to him??

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Brian Wilson and Shane Woewodin won the Brownlow, and yet Wayne ( the Dominator) Johnson, or Tim Watson or Gary Ablett Snr, or Wayne Carey didn’t

In the old days it used to be about State honours and if you’ve been named an All Australian then you know that you are among the best in the league.

I don’t think the umpires are the best judges of who plays well or who has the most impact in a game. The Brownlow is a fun night, but it shouldn’t be taken too seriously. Most years they get it right, but every now and then there’s some strange voting going on from the umpires

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 8:01am I guess Luke might have been a bit peeved in the VFL to see Hill getting continual games this season for a string of poor performances, which were justified by Ratts who blamed others for not kicking the ball to him??
Yeah but even if he did… it’s flawed logic

Building yourself up isn’t achieved by tearing others down and regardless of the rough patches Hill has had, he’s a better player, that’s had a better career, and has earned more chances then LD.

If Luke thinks that… it’s very pissy logic

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 1:54am
cwrcyn wrote: Tue 21 Sep 2021 8:44pm ....

The reality of Dunstan's career so far is:

His decision making is ordinary
He played selfish footy

Remember the game against Geelong where we were still a slim chance to make finals and Dunny was caught in Geelongs forward line after he turned and baulked and had about 3 chances to dish off the footy to a team mate? It cost us a goal and cost us the match

That was one of the strangest things I've seen on a footy field and typical of someone who doesn't do what's best for the team.
Frankly I think the focus on that one incident is overblown and hyperbolic. You could find instances for any player where they stuffed up. How about Seb missing a goal from the goal square against Sydney? Or Hill blatantly turning the ball over twice in 2 minutes at the end of the Port game?

Dunstan's return and stats for the position he plays are very good and rank highly across the comp. This decision was more a personal than onfield one.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Tue 21 Sep 2021 9:37pm It was about time someone gave him some honest feedback, probably should’ve been moved on last year when we could’ve got something for him.
I think we tried....last two years....zero interest.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

He played selfish footy

Remember the game against Geelong where we were still a slim chance to make finals and Dunny was caught in Geelongs forward line after he turned and baulked and had about 3 chances to dish off the footy to a team mate? It cost us a goal and cost us the match

That was one of the strangest things I've seen on a footy field and typical of someone who doesn't do what's best for the team.
Strange yes. It was like he looked at each one in turn and said in his mind. Nah, not giving it to you. Turned off him then and there after being a supporter. I have already said he cost us, momentum, the game and a possible place in the finals.

So ya later Luke. Hope your career at another club is more successful.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 9:57am

He played selfish footy

Frankly I think the focus on that one incident is overblown and hyperbolic. You could find instances for any player where they stuffed up. How about Seb missing a goal from the goal square against Sydney? Or Hill blatantly turning the ball over twice in 2 minutes at the end of the Port game?

Dunstan's return and stats for the position he plays are very good and rank highly across the comp. This decision was more a personal than onfield one.

If only players were judged on stats alone.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 21 Sep 2021 11:39pm Seriously

As an inside mid

One would hope he averaged 24

He’s around the ball at every stoppage he’s on the ground and running around in the midfield

Dunstan had a great month this season

Career wise pretty ordinary
With a career average of just better than 20 disposals, since turning 22 in 2017 with 54 games averaging 17 disposals, Luke has averaged just under 23 possession with nearly 50% contested, in his last 62.
He missed 2020 due to injury and while out of favour this year, he returned 25 disposals a game and 11 brownlow votes.

He could be excused for thinking he has been harshly judged.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 10:59am

As an inside mid

He’s around the ball at every stoppage he’s on the ground and running around in the midfield

With a career average of just better than 20 disposals, since turning 22 in 2017 with 54 games averaging 17 disposals, Luke has averaged just under 23 possession with nearly 50% contested, in his last 62.
He missed 2020 due to injury and while out of favour this year, he returned 25 disposals a game and 11 brownlow votes.

The decision to cut Dunny appears to be based on non football related issues relating to attitude and personality. Attitude matters I suppose and you'd have to think there was a clear issue over the pre season if reports are accurate about being told he wouldn't get a game before round 1. Sounds serious doesn't it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

He is not in demand.

From heraldsun.com.au

"Who wants disillusioned former Saint?

Luke Dunstan is at least attracting interest from rival clubs – possibly as a rookie next year -after a lack of offers from AFL clubs since being delisted.

Gold Coast doesn’t have a primary list spot and will have to move some players onto the rookie list already.

But it retains an interest in Dunstan, believing he is just too good not to be on an AFL list.

Dunstan’s 11-Brownlow vote tally from 12 games showed his extraordinary strengths as a midfielder, even if his kicking will always see clubs wary of a longer-term deal.

Clubs now believe they can only carry one or at most two pure inside midfielders and want hybrid mids who can transition, kick the ball well and buy into both sides of the game.

It seems preposterous that he would be the scapegoat for the club’s failures given Brad Crouch (five Brownlow votes), Brad Hill (four), Zak Jones (four) and Jack Billings (two) are all on lucrative contracts in comparison.

But St Kilda made the hard call because they believe they need to improve upon their midfield for 2022 to make finals.

Dunstan told 3AW on Monday he would love to play for Essendon.

“I’d love to go there. My good friend Nick Hind went there last year during the trade period and we all saw what he did this year, so that’d be nice.

“I’ll let my manager Robbie D’Orazio have a word to him (Essendon list boss Adrian Dodoro) and hopefully we can make it happen.”

He said it was clear coach Brett Ratten didn’t believe in him as a footballer.

“I wouldn’t say I didn’t get on with him. He’s a good fella and I think it’s pretty clear that he didn’t rate me, which is fine. It’s hard to change opinions of coaches and that’s footy, I’m not holding that against anyone.

“I’m going to try and enjoy myself and I’ve come to realise over the last two seasons there’s a lot more out there in life than just footy,” he said."

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 11:07am

As an inside mid

The decision to cut Dunny appears to be based on non football related issues relating to attitude and personality. Attitude matters I suppose and you'd have to think there was a clear issue over the pre season if reports are accurate about being told he wouldn't get a game before round 1. Sounds serious doesn't it.
We need better runners, that's all really.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 11:09am

As an inside mid

We need better runners, that's all really.
And there's that too.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are you really saying he would be annoyed with players like Billings and Hill getting a game whilst he wasn’t

He can’t play their positions

He can’t run like them, can’t kick lick them and can only play as a stoppage mid!!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 11:17am Are you really saying he would be annoyed with players like Billings and Hill getting a game whilst he wasn’t

He can’t run like them, can’t kick lick them and can only play as a stoppage mid!!!
Still, it wasn't a good message from the coach to give.. blaming someone's under-performing on others.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

To be fair to Jack Bytel, he has missed a bit of football but I doubt he is stronger that Dunstan, he isn't much faster than Dunstan, he isn't a better kick than Dunstan and I dont see him pushing those who were ahead of Dunstan out of the line up.
Steele, Crouch, Gresham and Ross are streaks ahead of him on the inside and if Bytel is to take his 11 disposals to 24 a game any time soon, he will need a pretty good off-season, he turns 22 next year.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They were trying to pump games into Bytel though

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 11:17am Are you really saying he would be annoyed with players like Billings and Hill getting a game whilst he wasn’t

I'm just saying words come out of people's heads on to the keyboard and most of it is just biased crap. Changing your argument doesn't change the facts.

Billings and Hill can't do what Luke does, Steele, Crouch and Gresham can do it better. Then Seb can go 3 ways, tagger, inside and out. Then comes Dunstan and then a long way back is Bytel.

Let's hope we improve the list.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think Mackenzie, who also seemed written off, may be the biggest surprise next year. He has the tools to do some damage at stoppages both inside and out, Id like to see him given a go at the fall of the ball in tandem with Crouch.
Just bring in an elite kicking balanced mid to apprentice under Steele with the first pick.

Lennylegs
Club Player

As an inside mid

His statement about not being valued as a person does add weight to this argument. But I find it hard to believe we wouldn't have invested everything we had into him.

Maybe he's conflating the professional with the personal. Maybe he thought not being picked in the seniors was a slight on his actual character and he began acting accordingly.

Either way, he hasn't done himself any favours by airing the laundry in public.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 11:07am He is not in demand.

…..

Dunstan told 3AW on Monday he would love to play for Essendon.

“I’d love to go there. My good friend Nick Hind went there last year during the trade period and we all saw what he did this year, so that’d be nice.

“I’ll let my manager Robbie D’Orazio have a word to him (Essendon list boss Adrian Dodoro) and hopefully we can make it happen.”

He said it was clear coach Brett Ratten didn’t believe in him as a footballer.

“I wouldn’t say I didn’t get on with him. He’s a good fella and I think it’s pretty clear that he didn’t rate me, which is fine. It’s hard to change opinions of coaches and that’s footy, I’m not holding that against anyone.

“I’m going to try and enjoy myself and I’ve come to realise over the last two seasons there’s a lot more out there in life than just footy,” he said."
Who is Luke’s manager…
Does Luke have a manager??

I am the worst of the worst at this…, BUT!, why would Luke’s manager advise his to carry on like that on radio!!

a) they don’t like me.. (Saints)
b) hope Essendon pick me. Nick Hind is my mate!
c) I’m ready to move in from football

Wellar was the opposite!!
It didn’t do him much good, but he got another crack!

If Luke got 3 Brownlow points Ok, but 11!

What a fall from grace.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

yea ... he named his manager
in the first interview on Sen (?)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 11:54am
saynta wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 11:07am “I’ll let my manager Robbie D’Orazio have a word to him (Essendon list boss Adrian Dodoro) and hopefully we can make it happen.”
Who is Luke’s manager…
Does Luke have a manager??

I am the worst of the worst at this…, BUT!, why would Luke’s manager advise his to carry on like that on radio!!

a) they don’t like me.. (Saints)
b) hope Essendon pick me. Nick Hind is my mate!
c) I’m ready to move in from football

Wellar was the opposite!!
It didn’t do him much good, but he got another crack!

If Luke got 3 Brownlow points Ok, but 11!

What a fall from grace.
Ummm - You actually quoted a post that clearly said who his manager was.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!