Team for Round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Team for Round 1

Club needs to stop picking Ross unless there's injuries.

He's very valuable- for the opposition.
His scrappy Auskick-standard disposals put immense pressure on team-mates, and sometimes go to an oppo player.
In fact, when he gets the Sherrin, watch all the nearby oppo guys sprint away from their direct Saints opponent, anticipating a turn-over. This move is low-risk, high reward, because 7 times out of 10, oppo gets the ball and then they're all unmarked.

I don't care that he gets 28 touches a game- they're rubbish.
Better Bytel, Byrnes etc, who might get 20, but the 20 will benefit OUR guys, not the oppo.

We've all seen how Dunstan was such a bad influence through lack of basic skill.
Ross is actually worse.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 1:50am Club needs to stop picking Ross unless there's injuries.

He's very valuable- for the opposition.
His scrappy Auskick-standard disposals put immense pressure on team-mates, and sometimes go to an oppo player.
In fact, when he gets the Sherrin, watch all the nearby oppo guys sprint away from their direct Saints opponent, anticipating a turn-over. This move is low-risk, high reward, because 7 times out of 10, oppo gets the ball and then they're all unmarked.

I don't care that he gets 28 touches a game- they're rubbish.
Better Bytel, Byrnes etc, who might get 20, but the 20 will benefit OUR guys, not the oppo.

We've all seen how Dunstan was such a bad influence through lack of basic skill.
Ross is actually worse.
how does his disposal efficiency compare to some of the elite in the game, would it be worse than say Pretracca?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 4:36pm Doubt they will play anyone who has not played in one of the full scale practice in the matches against Carlton or Essendon.

Highmore appears on the outer in favour of Battle.
Personally I prefer Highmore as he's a pretty hand intercept mark and offers more attack.

I wonder how many tall forwards Collingwood play, perhaps they play Cameron or Cox or Moore.
It looks from practice games that clubs may play taller forward lines this year.

I think it will be:

Webster Howard Wilkie
Sinclair Battle Hill
Wood Crouch Ross
Higgins Hayes Membrey
Butler King Byrnes

Marshall Steele Gresham

IC: Paton McKenzie Sharman (NWM or Kent)
Don’t mind Hayes in a key position. I feel he may have the physicality that we need structurally

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Play NWM.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hayes and Owens certain starters. NWM a chance.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Fri 11 Mar 2022 9:29pm [quote=D.B.Cooper post_id=<a href="tel:1941007">1941007</a> time=<a href="tel:1646544987">1646544987</a> user_id=23694]
Doubt they will play anyone who has not played in one of the full scale practice in the matches against Carlton or Essendon.

Highmore appears on the outer in favour of Battle.
Personally I prefer Highmore as he's a pretty hand intercept mark and offers more attack.

I wonder how many tall forwards Collingwood play, perhaps they play Cameron or Cox or Moore.
It looks from practice games that clubs may play taller forward lines this year.

I think it will be:
Webster Howard Wilkie
Sinclair Battle Hill
Wood Crouch Ross
Higgins Hayes Membrey
Butler King Byrnes

Marshall Steele Gresham

IC: Paton McKenzie Sharman (NWM or Kent)
Agreed, think NWM would be lucky to get a call up before Rnd 12
[/quote]

Totally agree with both of you - if that team is 60% what you think they’ll pick, and 40% your personal choice. NWM was my fav. Of the newbies. But I saw how easily he was run down, and he’s not ready yet, (based on that one second of play -that’s what an astute eye I have)

I would have Highmore, but heaven forbid, I criticise Battle, because the goal of the AFL, and all world sports, and the Winter Olympics, is to find his best position and keep him there! Kent? Please no, Not sure if Gresh has the soft tissue issue under wraps (see what I did there) ..in order to play out the onball thing

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

After yesterdays scratch match it seems Jack Hayes is a lock to play the 3rd tall back up ruck role. What a great achievement for a guy AFL recruiters found every reason to overlook for years. I hope he can do himself proud and snag a few goals in the coming weeks until Paddy returns.

Gershwin
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 6:22pm After yesterdays scratch match it seems Jack Hayes is a lock to play the 3rd tall back up ruck role. What a great achievement for a guy AFL recruiters found every reason to overlook for years. I hope he can do himself proud and snag a few goals in the coming weeks until Paddy returns.
It’s likely that Hayes will be rucking against the 211cm Mason Cox. How in the world can we see that as a good matchup for us?

summertime and the living is easy ........
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Gershwin wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 10:13pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 6:22pm After yesterdays scratch match it seems Jack Hayes is a lock to play the 3rd tall back up ruck role. What a great achievement for a guy AFL recruiters found every reason to overlook for years. I hope he can do himself proud and snag a few goals in the coming weeks until Paddy returns.
It’s likely that Hayes will be rucking against the 211cm Mason Cox. How in the world can we see that as a good matchup for us?
I think Hayes is ~194 cm...
17cm shorter.
I reckon Ratts better throw King into the ruck instead

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 10:58pm
Gershwin wrote: Sat 12 Mar 2022 10:13pm
I think Hayes is ~194 cm...
17cm shorter.
I reckon Ratts better throw King into the ruck instead
Can you imagine the melt down if King went into the ruck and suffered a serious injury, and I don’t just mean this site.

Can’t see it happening.

If they want a genuine 2 ruck combo they play Campbell.
If they like a Grundy/ Marshall match up and flexibility I think they go with Hayes.

Nonetheless Hayes plays regardless IMO as a tall option in defense, attack or around the ground.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

In his interview Hayes mentioned how big and impressively athletic Campbell is. Must have been difficult as understudy to Goldstein. I have high hopes.

Talk of King rucking is taking the micky, surely.

Marshall-Campbell; there may be a stand named after them sometime.

Saints58
Club Player

I would play Hayes as a third tall up forward and rucking in the forward line with a Marshall-Campbell combination
Also I would play windhager he is already a big unit and does not get pushed off the ball also either NWM, or Owens not both.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Cox would play ruck/forward if Paddy was playing so I think the Pies will be comfortable to go into the game with just Grundy up against RoMa. However if Cox is selected then he will most likely only take on the ruck in his forward half so possibly Howard will cover at that end of the ground if Grundy and RoMa don't go in. That's not ideal but that's the only armoury we had last year when Paddy was out and nothing has changed for 2022 unless of coarse Campbell is the revelation we so desperately need him to be.

So Campbell could be selected, however with Hayes, NWM, Windhager, Owens, Adams, Kyle, Peris and Sharman being locks for round 1, I can't see Ratts going with 9 new players for round 1 and so Campbell could be the unlucky one.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

8 changes from side that flogged Freo? Out- Long, Hannebery, Jones, Bytel (?), Coffield, Kent, Hunter, Claverino.
In King, Gresham, Paton, Hayes, Campbell, Battle, Byrnes, Wood.
Seem close? Looks a better side to me as well. I was surprised to look back on that victorious R23 side.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 14 Mar 2022 12:46pm 8 changes from side that flogged Freo? Out- Long, Hannebery, Jones, Bytel (?), Coffield, Kent, Hunter, Claverino.
In King, Gresham, Paton, Hayes, Campbell, Battle, Byrnes, Wood.
Seem close? Looks a better side to me as well. I was surprised to look back on that victorious R23 side.
Interesting to see if they play Roma, Campbell and Hayes. If Hayes takes second Ruck, one of the young mids might be selected.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I'm thinking Marshall going through CHF to keep Moore honest.

Gershwin
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 14 Mar 2022 3:16pm I'm thinking Marshall going through CHF to keep Moore honest.
I like that.

summertime and the living is easy ........
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sharman deserves to keep his spot from the team that beat Fremantle.

I would play Wood.

Can't play Hayes I think. He can't ruck against Grundy. Campbell will have to come in and we will just have to hope for the best.

This is a must win. Forget winning margins, so long as we win.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how Cox will go wearing sunglasses?