Prepare for meltdown!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Prepare for meltdown!!!!

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 12:22pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:14am
skeptic wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 9:59pm I don’t know that it’s a Sharman vs Kent discussion.

Kent is a forward, crumber, play maker type that hasn’t cemented a spot in 4 years. He is 28yo, kicked what... 5 goals last year and has played a little under 100 games.

He’s not some 23yo kid that was promising, stagnated and finally getting a good run at it. I mean how much better do we expect him to get at this point?
I agree with you. It's disheartening to me to see Kent selected. Feels like more deadwood recycling instead of moving forward. Play a 28 y.o who's struggled to establish himself as even a GOP, who's inconsistent with poor handling skills.
st.byron wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:14am
skeptic wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 9:59pm I don’t know that it’s a Sharman vs Kent discussion.

Kent is a forward, crumber, play maker type that hasn’t cemented a spot in 4 years. He is 28yo, kicked what... 5 goals last year and has played a little under 100 games.

He’s not some 23yo kid that was promising, stagnated and finally getting a good run at it. I mean how much better do we expect him to get at this point?
I agree with you. It's disheartening to me to see Kent selected. Feels like more deadwood recycling instead of moving forward. Play a 28 y.o who's struggled to establish himself as even a GOP, who's inconsistent with poor handling skills.

Comes down to your season expectations how you view this selection.

If you go down the why not us in 2022 path then it makes perfect sense.

If you think we're unlikely to make finals then it is the wrong call.

Until we know it isn't us, in my opinion we should stick with the why not us mindset and pick the best team to win each and every week. To that end I dont care about Kent's age and think it is the right selection.
See I don’t agree with this…

It makes sense if he’s an ageing veteran that is still playing good football

If he’s an ageing veteran that hasn’t cemented a spot a spot in 4 years, kicked 5 goals last year and is odds on to be delisted… how does that help the why not us mentality.

Is Kent the difference between winning a flag or not?

You’ve made an argument as to why Hannebery or Dunstan should play.
Not Kent

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Despite backing the call to pick Kent, I think it's clear now he is behind a few others.

I'd really like to see NWM and Hill on the same flank (HB and HF).

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 10:04pm Despite backing the call to pick Kent, I think it's clear now he is behind a few others.

I'd really like to see NWM and Hill on the same flank (HB and HF).
Yes I would also like to see Hill on the flank(for Sandringham) and Ratten should go with him!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure there will be those that blame Kent for this loss but I'm going to wait until later in the week before I think about the importance of Kents moments in the game any deeper. Just don't want to create a scapegoat for tonights performance in the heat of the moment.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 10:38pm I'm sure there will be those that blame Kent for this loss but I'm going to wait until later in the week before I think about the importance of Kents moments in the game any deeper. Just don't want to create a scapegoat for tonights performance in the heat of the moment.
Allow me…

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't our bottom 6 that lost the game. No doubt Kent was in the bottom 6 despite his good 1st qtr.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 10:44pm It wasn't our bottom 6 that lost the game. No doubt Kent was in the bottom 6 despite his good 1st qtr.
GOOD FIRST QUARTER!!!

He had 2 kicks… one of which was handed to him by Collingwood

Did you mean good for him?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 10:41pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 10:38pm I'm sure there will be those that blame Kent for this loss but I'm going to wait until later in the week before I think about the importance of Kents moments in the game any deeper. Just don't want to create a scapegoat for tonights performance in the heat of the moment.
Allow me…
Yeah I'm struggling too, that was the turning point I'm afraid to admit, completely took the oxygen out of our momentum...gee this group of soft cox are weak minded...surely a small thing like that in a game isn't enough to rip the jam out of ya donut??

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 10:51pm
Otiman wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 10:44pm It wasn't our bottom 6 that lost the game. No doubt Kent was in the bottom 6 despite his good 1st qtr.
GOOD FIRST QUARTER!!!

He had 2 kicks… one of which was handed to him by Collingwood

Did you mean good for him?
Good pressure, got around the ball, got into good spaces.

But unsighted after qtr time.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Well I'm not surprised but he did not pick himself our couch had so much faith in him & gave him another opportunity I hope our coach can see what every other sane person can see IMO only

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Kent is not the reason we lost .
However he should never play seniors again.
I'd love to know what the for Huck our coaches have been doing all summer .
We fumbled badly , we looked slow and lazy at times.
A first gamer our best ! Probably because he's only been at the club a month therefore his skills are yet to turn to shi t .
You have to thank the pies and their fans .
The big crowd was great and their team kept us in it .
They should have been 5 or 6 up at the half , then when they did get 6 up , they went to sleep and let us get draw level .
Another match where we honour the memory of a st kilda great by playing abysmally.

In red white and black from 73
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 8:17pm Idiotic decisions like this could see the end of Ratten.
Yep. And he’ll deserve to get knifed for it too. What a fool picking that imposter.

As an aside … ask a knowledgeable Carlton supporter about Ratten. Their take is that he was treated terribly by Carlton but that Chris Judd made his W/L record look much much better that it should have been.

We don’t have Chris Judd. Actually - we don’t have Chris Judd’s little toenail. Ratten is in all sorts if he continues down the continual Kent/Butler/Ross selection.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Kent was awful
Byrnes looks lost and devoid of confidence

Clark, Jones and Billings missed for the skill and class above a very disappointing D-Mac, Kent Byrnes, and Ross.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:52pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 8:17pm Idiotic decisions like this could see the end of Ratten.
Yep. And he’ll deserve to get knifed for it too. What a fool picking that imposter.

As an aside … ask a knowledgeable Carlton supporter about Ratten. Their take is that he was treated terribly by Carlton but that Chris Judd made his W/L record look much much better that it should have been.

We don’t have Chris Judd. Actually - we don’t have Chris Judd’s little toenail. Ratten is in all sorts if he continues down the continual Kent/Butler/Ross selection.
Insanity- one symptom is repeating the same action over and over again, expecting a different result.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

This season is going to be UGLY.

I don't think we appreciate how bad yet because we bought the spin and there is always Max King. And we are back at Moorabbin.

Several injuries and we cannot cope against a mediocre team.

Selectors appear to have the Elshaugh judgement gene and goldfish memories.

The coaching? rhetoric - check; concerned looks; check - but any chance of contending for the 8, and for goodness fix up the centre bounces, its extremely embarrassing for all concerned.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ratts can only work with the hand that he's been dealt. Is Lethers still on match committee?

We haven’t built the foundations for a successful squad or for sustained success. We have slapped together a few GOP’s. I've said this before...but it was an illusion that was designed to primarily make us competitive in the short term after the Cho years

I don’t have faith in Lethlean. The club took a short cut to climb the ladder and WE ARE BEING FOUND OUT. Too many average players on our list and too many of the same type have been recruited in recent years.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 4:54am Ratts can only work with the hand that he's been dealt. Is Lethers still on match committee?

We haven’t built the foundations for a successful squad or for sustained success. We have slapped together a few GOP’s. I've said this before...but it was an illusion that was designed to primarily make us competitive in the short term after the Cho years

I don’t have faith in Lethlean. The club took a short cut to climb the ladder and WE ARE BEING FOUND OUT. Too many average players on our list and too many of the same type have been recruited in recent years.
Hard to argue. It was short termism but, I also do get why. Elshaugh, Pelchin and Cho further decimated the club after Lyon and his flat out gutted the joint’s young talent by not playing them.

The 2020 outlier short Covid season aside - It’s clear we’ve been swimming in the shallows with no pants and the tide is quickly going out.

We’re in all sorts. I literally have no idea how they can fix the sh1t list balance.

Go you red, black & white warriors
B.M
Saintsational Legend

What do you mean ‘back at Moorabbin’

We don’t play a game there!

We just lost at our Home Ground!!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:52pm

Sorry Saintmatt but I am sick to f****** death reading f****** disgraceful comments about Ross. His game last night wasn't the reason we lost. I watched him carefully all night. 19 possessions of which 18 found a team mate in a better position,with only one going to a one on one contest which the saint player lost.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 10:32am
Sorry Saintmatt but I am sick to f****** death reading f****** disgraceful comments about Ross. His game last night wasn't the reason we lost. I watched him carefully all night. 19 possessions of which 18 found a team mate in a better position,with only one going to a one on one contest which the saint player lost.
I will say I was pleasantly surprised by Seb's disposal and he had a solid game, even if his production was a little low for a senior midfielder. No chance of being dropped this week but with a full squad available he doesn't make my best 22. At this point I see Seb as injury backup and agree with Saintmatt's sentiment that we need to move past underperforming veterans being automatic selections.

Seb is still a viable option when needed, unlike Kent who is a liability in 80% of his games.

St Plugger
Club Player

"Seb is still a viable option when needed, unlike Kent who is a liability in 80% of his games."

My word your generous with your evaluation of Kents liability level!
I see him more as a 99.9% liability.
Last edited by St Plugger on Tue 22 Mar 2022 8:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Just saw this thread and for a fleeting moment thought the team for round 2 had been named :lol:

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!