Brad Hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWiki
Club Player

Re: Brad Hill

Without having the opportunity to see on TV just how Brad Hill was so strongly tagged and obviously lost is confidence and fumbled etc, it's hard for me to make a conclusion. I have never seen him play so poorly. Whatever, the coaching staff need to address this - the only thing I can come up with is to somehow give him a job to do so he can run his opponents off their feet when he is heavily tagged. But I'm not freaking out yet because we were playing arguably the best of the experienced top teams at the moment and surely we'll learn a few things from this - it wasn't a major loss on the scoreboard. Everyone knows his strengths and weaknesses, so the coaching staff need to ensure that he is protected from this outcome and gives us some runs in the future. One thing I have noticed this year though, often in matches where he does get those great runs with the ball, our players ahead of him are often not offering him leads quickly enough to get all the benefits.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Had an absolute shocker on the weekend.
However, his good has far out weighed the bad this season so cut him some slack.
Let's see him turn it around again this week.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Finna
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 12:37pm The guy has a 'heart the size of pea' and Ratten needs to make a statement and drop him! You cant have Hill shytting the bed everytime he looks like getting physical pressure and kids like Owens knocking themselves out with courageous acts. It just stinks of double standards and you will never get a full buy in while that occurs.

Show some balls Saints and drop the tinker bell, you need to make a statement.
What a pathetic comment. Seriously... Are you for real or taking the p1ss?

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022 2:38pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022 12:37pm The guy has a 'heart the size of pea' and Ratten needs to make a statement and drop him! You cant have Hill shytting the bed everytime he looks like getting physical pressure and kids like Owens knocking themselves out with courageous acts. It just stinks of double standards and you will never get a full buy in while that occurs.

It's OK.

We've seen the kamikaze approach, and how useful that is.

But I think the bigger point is to realize that Brad Hill unites supporters. His gift is one of bonding. He bonds us together in spirit.
Quite a sacrifice. And by not getting into ugly head-on collisions, he stays on the field and lives to play on! The gift that keeps giving!

We love nothing more than a player of bog average talent, charging in like a kaimikaze and getting dragged off on a stretcher, or standing up for his mates and getting suspended.

He hate nothing more that a player of above average talent, seeking to advance his career and taking advantage of the limitations of the AFL's...(do not mention his manager) system to secure a lucrative contract.

I guess there is no point talking about Brad Hill...it takes just one bad game and his efforts and achievements this year are forgotten. We are immediately called to arms, to remind each other 'of the REAL truth of the matter.'

The gift that keeps giving.

Onya Brad.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Everyone has a bad game

Not everyone puts in a putrid effort

I suggest you watch the tape and have a look at a few of his contest efforts

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022 4:14pm Everyone has a bad game

Not everyone puts in a putrid effort

I suggest you watch the tape and have a look at a few of his contest efforts
I'd suggest everyone actually produces both at some point in their career (life, work or family). It is just that some get forgotten whilst other's get highlighted. Some make a habit of it whilst some learn.

One's bad game is another's putrid effort & vice versa.

I suggest the tape's been watched, discussed and moved on from.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d suggest Lenny Hayes never put in a putrid effort?

Jack Steele??

Most players - effort is unconditional

Output may vary - but they always give 100%

Blake, Hudghton, Baker etc… had good and not as good days.. but the gap was not Brad Hill level gap because effort never wavered

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022 6:25pm I’d suggest Lenny Hayes never put in a putrid effort?

Jack Steele??

Blake, Hudghton, Baker etc… had good and not as good days.. but the gap was not Brad Hill level gap because effort never wavered
I'd suggest if you asked either of them, they'd be honest enough to say they put in a putrid effort at some point or pounts of their careers. I'm sure they'd remember because it likely still burns at them.

"Never" is such a finite word and again I suggest there were times it (effort) may have wavered. Again, those three would admit to it.

For that matter, I believe Hill would, unless you also wish to have a crack at that aspect of his character as well?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not the first time for this serial abuser.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

You really have to ask yourself. Would you rather have him in the side or not

If you didn’t want him in the side then I’m afraid you really shouldn’t involve yourself with any sort of decision making on a footy forum

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022 6:25pm I’d suggest Lenny Hayes never put in a putrid effort?

Jack Steele??

People should think before they post. I know that he should be performing when he puts his hand up to play, but at the moment there are family issues that are worrying him and he didn’t have his mind on the job.

I’ve been one of Brad’s harshest critics, but I’m willing to let him off the hook for 1 game. If he is not up to it for next week, maybe he should do what Tim Membrey and Seb Ross did last year

How did Winmar go in the 1997 Grand Final and we know why…or maybe Buckets? Worse game I’ve ever seen Stewy play

I can’t recall how Roo played in the 2010 GF, but I don’t think he was in the best players for us in either game

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022 7:34pm

Not the first time for this serial abuser.
Serial abuser??? Ha you never miss an opportunity to do a bit of abusing of 'other forumites' yourself!

As far as I'm concerned if he announces himself fit to play then he is accountable for his game. I once tried to play in a prelim final with 2 x broken ribs. I had a shocker and the coaches wife abused me from the side lines for my efforts. He is a professional footballer and playing is his occupation if he doesnt perform then he shpuld expect criticism.

Hills effort last week were well short of what should be the standard required for a Saints player. He actually cringed when expecting contact on more than one occasion. If thats not someone faint of heart I dont know what is?
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Wed 15 Jun 2022 11:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

And the anti Brad-ers' point is what?

Drop him forever (he ain't gonna change style), write off the investment;

Bench him if tagged?

He is keeping (insert better player's name) out and (X) would do so much better;

Put him in stocks until he meets your expectations.

Good to vent on high profile player, it's all his fault if we lose;

What is the effing point of these vilification posts. If we can know the context they may sound rational.

What is it you want guys/girls: drown the witch event, apology, whipping, what?

Don't forget he is a wonderfully talented athlete that has achieved a lot more than any other current Saints player and is a hall of fame certainty. I am proud we have him and love watching his skills. Feel privileged actually.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I was a bit cryptic with my post before. I think perhaps Brad Hill may have been affected by family with health concern.

Bobby is his cousin

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-29/ ... /101108524

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022 11:40pm And the anti Brad-ers' point is what?

Drop him forever (he ain't gonna change style), write off the investment;

Bench him if tagged?

He is keeping (insert better player's name) out and (X) would do so much better;

Put him in stocks until he meets your expectations.

Good to vent on high profile player, it's all his fault if we lose;

What is the effing point of these vilification posts. If we can know the context they may sound rational.

What is it you want guys/girls: drown the witch event, apology, whipping, what?

Don't forget he is a wonderfully talented athlete that has achieved a lot more than any other current Saints player and is a hall of fame certainty. I am proud we have him and love watching his skills. Feel privileged actually.
Good post, though not sure about the Hall of Fame call.
Those squibs need to be erased from his game.
He has been really good this year, we are a better team with him in it, when he is tagged, someone else is freed up, we need to get better at identifying that and Brad needs to work his tag into the ground.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
bullmarket
Club Player

Re: Brad Hill- extract from The Mongrel Punt Match Review (NOT my opinion)

HATE – SOFTNESS

And Brad Hill, this one is for you.

Sometimes you can see turnovers coming when Brad Hill is involved. It has “turnover” written all over it when the ball is not delivered to him perfectly and he has to earn it. Cam Rayner was aware of it, and gave Hill a big stiff arm fend off when he attempted to tackle the Lion late in the contest – he just knew he could brush off whatever Hill tried to pass off as a tackle attempt.

And he did.

Hill’s dropped mark in the last quarter also led to the Hugh McCluggage goal that opened up a match-winning margin for the Lions. It just isn’t good enough that seemingly every time there is physical pressure in a contest, or even perceived pressure in the case of the dropped mark, Hill is likely to step aside rather than step up.

Look, there will be games where Hill stars – we saw it a couple of weeks ago when both he and Jack Sinclair tore North Melbourne to bits, but confronted with a team that actually does more than claim to be an AFL team, Hill was exposed.

I know it’s not his forte. I know his role is that of outside runner and rebounder, but hell, Jake Lloyd wins the hard footy in Sydney. Sam Docherty doesn’t have to rely on his teammates to constantly feed him to fill his belly at Carlton. And Caleb Daniel isn’t completely dependent on those around him at the Western Bulldogs. All of those blokes put their head down, their bum up, and win the footy.

Why can’t Brad Hill? Those three contested touches he had in this game must have occurred via accident.

If you could take Ben Long’s heart and attack on the contest and combine it with the tank and skill of Brad Hill, you’d just about have the perfect footballer. As it stands, you have two halves, and the half Brad Hill doesn’t have, you simply cannot teach.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2 ... the-hates/

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brad Hill- extract from The Mongrel Punt Match Review (NOT my opinion)

bullmarket wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 6:13am HATE – SOFTNESS

And Brad Hill, this one is for you.

Sometimes you can see turnovers coming when Brad Hill is involved. It has “turnover” written all over it when the ball is not delivered to him perfectly and he has to earn it. Cam Rayner was aware of it, and gave Hill a big stiff arm fend off when he attempted to tackle the Lion late in the contest – he just knew he could brush off whatever Hill tried to pass off as a tackle attempt.

And he did.

Hill’s dropped mark in the last quarter also led to the Hugh McCluggage goal that opened up a match-winning margin for the Lions. It just isn’t good enough that seemingly every time there is physical pressure in a contest, or even perceived pressure in the case of the dropped mark, Hill is likely to step aside rather than step up.

Look, there will be games where Hill stars – we saw it a couple of weeks ago when both he and Jack Sinclair tore North Melbourne to bits, but confronted with a team that actually does more than claim to be an AFL team, Hill was exposed.

I know it’s not his forte. I know his role is that of outside runner and rebounder, but hell, Jake Lloyd wins the hard footy in Sydney. Sam Docherty doesn’t have to rely on his teammates to constantly feed him to fill his belly at Carlton. And Caleb Daniel isn’t completely dependent on those around him at the Western Bulldogs. All of those blokes put their head down, their bum up, and win the footy.

Why can’t Brad Hill? Those three contested touches he had in this game must have occurred via accident.

If you could take Ben Long’s heart and attack on the contest and combine it with the tank and skill of Brad Hill, you’d just about have the perfect footballer. As it stands, you have two halves, and the half Brad Hill doesn’t have, you simply cannot teach.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2 ... the-hates/
Rubbish piece.

All about individuals and his or her personal take on it.

More crap comparing our hero Ben Long to our villain, Brad Hill.

I remember a game earlier in the year..last line of defense, ball spinning menacingly at ground level, hill tried to snatch it. Straight through his hands, slide tunnel ball …and then another player tries the same . Same result, straight through his hands. The opposition pounces. Opposition goal.

Brad Hill was roundly blasted.

The other player was Ben Long.

It is not mentioned.

Instead, we have these rubbish pieces about Ben Long’s courage and Bradley Hill’s (fill-in-the-blank).

As I’ve said, and will continue to say, as more and more posters pile on using the same rhetoric …it isn’t about Brad Hill at all.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 9:47am
Rubbish piece.

I remember a game earlier in the year..last line of defense, ball spinning menacingly at ground level, hill tried to snatch it. Straight through his hands, slide tunnel ball …and then another player tries the same . Same result, straight through his hands. The opposition pounces. Opposition goal.

It is not mentioned.

Instead, we have these rubbish pieces about Ben Long’s courage and Bradley Hill’s (fill-in-the-blank).

As I’ve said, and will continue to say, as more and more posters pile on using the same rhetoric …it isn’t about Brad Hill at all.
Pot kettle shane

Fair enough that you are standing up for Brad, but what's with all the rubbish and bagging of Long?

You are an adult living away from home. Imagine how hard it was for a young kid like Ben Long living away from home and away from his family. I admire all the young guys who move interstate to pursue their dream of playing AFL.

Ben has worked hard to win back the trust of his team mates and coaches after being dropped several times last year and this year.

The criticism of Brad in this thread is generally warranted because this is the brutal nature of a business where the top players are expected to perform. Brad is probably our highest paid player. Ben Long isn't on 700 or 800K a year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 3:43pm
Rubbish piece.

It is not mentioned.

You are an adult living away from home. Imagine how hard it was for a young kid like Ben Long living away from home and away from his family. I admire all the young guys who move interstate to pursue their dream of playing AFL.
And yet a few on here would transport 44 fine young men to Tasmania on the whim of a f*** wit named Eddy.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

(fill-in-the-blank)
Fiona-ism

?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022 3:43pm
Rubbish piece.

It is not mentioned.

Pot kettle shane

Fair enough that you are standing up for Brad, but what's with all the rubbish and bagging of Long?

Ben has worked hard to win back the trust of his team mates and coaches after being dropped several times last year and this year.

The criticism of Brad in this thread is generally warranted because this is the brutal nature of a business where the top players are expected to perform. Brad is probably our highest paid player. Ben Long isn't on 700 or 800K a year.
if you want to lionize Long, fair enough, but I wouldn't compare him to Brad Hill.
You are levering the Hill hate to propel Long. It is a poor tactic. And obvious.
Two different players with different stories, better to compare Ben to a similar player.

I have praised Long as well, though no doubt you will isolate the times I have pointed out that he gives away frees, or was reckless and is too slow to the ball and ignore how I was pleased with him this year.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Now if you had a hybrid Brad & Ben, that would be something.

Gershwin
Club Player

The good thing about football is that every week you get a chance to redeem yourself.

Go out there and get BOG Bradley, otherwise ….

summertime and the living is easy ........