INs & OUTs v Swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: INs & OUTs v Swans

If we don't fix the clearance issues and don't get forwards other than King to kick goals, then out of the eight we will tumble

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:35am This week will be the first opportunity for Ratts to field the strongest team (on paper), since he took over the job.

I doubt even a coach from the country league will be dropping 6 or more players in the context of where we are at.

It's a chance to challenge this supposedly strongest team on paper to prove they are a finals side.

If they fail the challenge then that is Ratts mandate to be ruthless at season's end and cut the players who he thinks can't help us win some silverware.

Crapping the pants this week and dropping a 3rd of your side is not the week to go amateur hour.
Vortex

Should last week's forward line all stay in the team for stability?

Is Ratts and Lade telling the forwards to lead sideways like crabs and just flap their arms around waiting for someone to kick it on their head?

Personally I'd forgive Byrnes and NWM and just give them games experience but what's wrong with 6 changes? We lost against a team that is struggling on the bottom of the ladder, didn't we?

If you know so much about team selection and also what Ratts might be thinking, can you tell us what the word is inside the 4 walls and which players got a pass mark for their roles and their games against Essendon.

While you're at it, can you let us know if it's Wrath, Lade or Ratts or some one elso who might be responsible for the way we use King and the way the players transition and eventually deliver inside 50

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:05am
Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:35am This week will be the first opportunity for Ratts to field the strongest team (on paper), since he took over the job.

I doubt even a coach from the country league will be dropping 6 or more players in the context of where we are at.

It's a chance to challenge this supposedly strongest team on paper to prove they are a finals side.

If they fail the challenge then that is Ratts mandate to be ruthless at season's end and cut the players who he thinks can't help us win some silverware.

Crapping the pants this week and dropping a 3rd of your side is not the week to go amateur hour.
Vortex

Is Ratts and Lade telling the forwards to lead sideways like crabs and just flap their arms around waiting for someone to kick it on their head?

Personally I'd forgive Byrnes and NWM and just give them games experience but what's wrong with 6 changes? We lost against a team that is struggling on the bottom of the ladder, didn't we?

If you know so much about team selection and also what Ratts might be thinking, can you tell us what the word is inside the 4 walls and which players got a pass mark for their roles and their games against Essendon.

While you're at it, can you let us know if it's Wrath, Lade or Ratts or some one elso who might be responsible for the way we use King and the way the players transition and eventually deliver inside 50
We started the season lacking a significant amount of depth requiring an incredible amount of luck with injury as well as getting some improvement from the experienced players. We lost 2 players to ACLs, 1 shoulder reco, and one hamsting within the first 4 weeks, however we got some unexpected impact on games from the debutants, as well as some fringe players hit career best form. We have exceeded the expectations of most in the first half which was aided by an easy draw.

So as our list is still well short of players capable of making us a sustainable top 4 side. This is where Ratts must continue to coach for the future and find out which players won't be continuing the journey in 23 and beyond. I recon Billings epitomises that quest. His next month of football will determine if he can be a Saints premiership player.

I think Ratts is compelled to make minimal changes to the side from last week other than Steele being the obvious automatic change.

I recon if I'm Ratts I wouldn't be saying too much this week, if I was him I probably would deliberately throw the same team out there and see if they have got the leadership required to be a top 4 side.

As I say Ratts has the opportunity to challenge what appears to be his strongest best 22 (on paper). And by challenge I mean players proving they can be premiership players.

If they perform poorly over the next month then Ratts can start stamping papers and use his mandate to play the kids for the remainder of the year and continue the probe for flag players.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:32am

Vortex

We started the season lacking a significant amount of depth requiring an incredible amount of luck with injury as well as getting some improvement from the experienced players. We lost 2 players to ACLs, 1 shoulder reco, and one hamsting within the first 4 weeks, however we got some unexpected impact on games from the debutants, as well as some fringe players hit career best form. We have exceeded the expectations of most in the first half which was aided by an easy draw.

So as our list is still well short of players capable of making us a sustainable top 4 side. This is where Ratts must continue to coach for the future and find out which players won't be continuing the journey in 23 and beyond. I recon Billings epitomises that quest. His next month of football will determine if he can be a Saints premiership player.

I think Ratts is compelled to make minimal changes to the side from last week other than Steele being the obvious automatic change.

I recon if I'm Ratts I wouldn't be saying too much this week, if I was him I probably would deliberately throw the same team out there and see if they have got the leadership required to be a top 4 side.

As I say Ratts has the opportunity to challenge what appears to be his strongest best 22 (on paper). And by challenge I mean players proving they can be premiership players.

If they perform poorly over the next month then Ratts can start stamping papers and use his mandate to play the kids for the remainder of the year and continue the probe for flag players.
We got smacked by a bottom four team who was struggling to score prior to last week and we've shown most of the year that we possess a pretty solid defense.

Most of our mids were horrendous and I really don't get it? Why do we need to wait until next week before decisions are made and players are dropped

Which player/players in particular are you trying to protect for the next few weeks?

Ratts hands will be tied if he's trying to get rid of players who are contracted

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:43am
Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:32am

Vortex

We got smacked by a bottom four team who was struggling to score prior to last week and we've shown most of the year that we possess a pretty solid defense.

Most of our mids were horrendous and I really don't get it? Why do we need to wait until next week before decisions are made and players are dropped

Which player in particular are you trying to protect?
Absolutely none. In fact if I'm Ratts I've already purchased some ink (in bulk) and I'm getting the stamp pad loaded.

As you rightly point out, we played poorly against a bottom side so it's time to get stamp happy. Billings papers are at the top of my pile on my desk.

No point dropping en masse a 3rd of your team to go back to a 2nd tier comp where the standard is 3rd and 4th grade and then bring them back and keep them on the list in 23 if they can't prove they are flag players.

I'd start stamping papers after the next block of 4 games.

If be coaching for beyond 22, we aren't a snow flakes chance of winning finals this year so use the rest of the season to find flag players.

Crossy66
Club Player

Season defining game. Pick best 22 so add Dmac and Steele.
We have blooded some kids who all look promising, but all are no at the level- yet. Send them back to VFL to accumulate 30+ and hone their craft.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 1:27pm Season defining game. Pick best 22 so add Dmac and Steele.
We have blooded some kids who all look promising, but all are no at the level- yet. Send them back to VFL to accumulate 30+ and hone their craft.
Yep. The only kid who has made a strong case for a regular first team spot is NWM, but he should probably miss this week (but could be the medi sub). Owens looks likely to be a star, but isn’t there yet, and should come back from injury via Sandy.

IN: Steele, DMac. And hopefully Sharman: I don’t think he’s much good, but I’m sick of the endless complaining.

OUT: Byrnes, NWM and - if Sharman is selected - one of Butler and Higgins (a case could be made for either, but I expect it will be Butler).

Of course, the club won’t be swayed by all the complaining on social media, so Sharman might be left out again.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Sharman will get a game once we're out of finals contention

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Crossy66
Club Player

Maybe an idea from left field. If Sharman is not the man, perhaps play Highmore forward. Great hands, nice kick.
Even add Campbell and station Roma up forward, atleast he won't need to run as far.
With the two mccartins, we need someone to keep them honest. Actually Sharman probably does Paddy for pace too.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 6:15pm Actually Sharman probably does Paddy for pace too.
That would be some sweet irony wouldn't it :mrgreen: 8-)

I'd love Sharman to play and (hope like hell that he lines up on Paddy) with our boys in the midfield targeting Coops at every opportunity and making Paddy look silly

We need something to keep us going...Do it for us supporters FFS!!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

"....I recon if I'm Ratts I wouldn't be saying too much this week, if I was him I probably would deliberately throw the same team out there and see if they have got the leadership required to be a top 4 side.

If they perform poorly over the next month then Ratts can start stamping papers and use his mandate to play the kids for the remainder of the year and continue the probe for flag players."

Ah, of course. The ol' Richo method. Well tried, well failed. Call the Dr only if the patient dies, until then keep snug and warm, do nothing. Perhaps apply a few leaches.....Change is bad, ignore the losses, players can get smarter, faster, taller, just let them be ...one more week, another week, one more, another...And actually we can do away with the VFL connection, none of them are getting a look in, Would imply change. Will get an early start on '23 preseason, she'll be right....pleasing even, none of that finals stress others have to go through

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

In Steele DMac Windhager

Out Byrnes Butler Jones

A rough chance is for Campbell to come in for Roma (who is clearly not 100)

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 5:36am
Ah, of course. The ol' Richo method. Well tried, well failed. Call the Dr only if the patient dies, until then keep snug and warm, do nothing. Perhaps apply a few leaches.....Change is bad, ignore the losses, players can get smarter, faster, taller, just let them be ...one more week, another week, one more, another...And actually we can do away with the VFL connection, none of them are getting a look in, Would imply change. Will get an early start on '23 preseason, she'll be right....pleasing even, none of that finals stress others have to go through
You forgot to add that if we park aside the first quarter and the second quarter and the latter part of that thrid quarter and...ok maybe the entire last quarter as well...we didn't do too badly.

The fans just need to park aside the fact that it was an embarrasing night for the whole club and just come along and cheer on their favourite players and we all know that doesn't include most of the guys who play regularly at Sandringham

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 12:44pm In Steele DMac Windhager

Out Byrnes Butler Jones

A rough chance is for Campbell to come in for Roma (who is clearly not 100)

Fqf
It could happen I suppose because Windy is the only player who did any good for Sandy but dropping Jones is unlikely I would have thought.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 5:40pm
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 1:27pm Season defining game. Pick best 22 so add Dmac and Steele.
Yep. The only kid who has made a strong case for a regular first team spot is NWM, but he should probably miss this week (but could be the medi sub). Owens looks likely to be a star, but isn’t there yet, and should come back from injury via Sandy.

IN: Steele, DMac. And hopefully Sharman: I don’t think he’s much good, but I’m sick of the endless complaining.

OUT: Byrnes, NWM and - if Sharman is selected - one of Butler and Higgins (a case could be made for either, but I expect it will be Butler).

Of course, the club won’t be swayed by all the complaining on social media, so Sharman might be left out again.
Owens hasn't recovered from his concussion.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

"Owens hasn't recovered from his concussion."

Well it was a terrible collission and I hope he can recover fully. Poor kid. Brave and was getting better every week.

Club's terrible run with injuries continues. I wonder if the club is finding it hard to get insurance. Certainly has cruelled our chances over the last 12 months.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:29am
Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:17am
Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 7:55am
Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 12:43am
saintbob wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 11:35pm Outs: Byrnes, Paton, Jones, Butler, Higgins and NVM

Ins: Steele , Owens, Windhager, Sharman, McKenzie and Highmore
Like it
Swap Paton for Webster and I’m onboard
Think Paton does a better shut down job on smalls
6 changes, yeah it's not amateur hour just yet.

Jones and Higgins out ain't going to happen either, not unless we are tanking now.

Steele and DMac are the obvious ins.

There will only be 2 changes, 3 absolute tops unless Ratts has thrown the towel in already for the year but I suspect he thinks we can still make 7th or 8th and maybe play a finals game.
Amateur hour?
Cooper Sharman - AFL finished after 7 games?
Righto…
Wanting to drop 6 players including Jones is a gem.
Better than ending their careers after 7 games….

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Honest question here: what about the forward line?
We are at least one key position forward away from fielding a functioning forward line. Sharman has to come in.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Wed 22 Jun 2022 12:12am
We are at least one key position forward away from fielding a functioning forward line. Sharman has to come in.
Good idea .... left field choice ..... I like it :wink:

Though big ??s about his substandard 7 game career thus far .... given that he isn't getting 30 possessions and kicking 6+ in each game ....... if he comes in and doesn't perform then we should delist immediately

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Wed 22 Jun 2022 12:19am
Good idea .... left field choice ..... I like it :wink:

Though big ??s about his substandard 7 game career thus far .... given that he isn't getting 30 possessions and kicking 6+ in each game ....... if he comes in and doesn't perform then we should delist immediately
I reckon he'd go alright on the small ground :wink:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Crossy66
Club Player

My point was more around picking the best 22 at this stage rather than getting games into our kids, which is more a future investment. Also think that making too many changes can be counterproductive, even after a bad loss.
I agree that we look better with another tall forward, and if Sharman's form warrants, he should be considered. But this game is about certainties and lowest risk option. Lose this and we are out of the 8.
But if history is anything to go by, corresponding game last year we went in with the small forward line.
The famous missy Higgins game - 23 disposals and 1.6

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The last bout of concussion seems to have knocked the stuffing out of Jack. He is not the same player as before. Perhaps naturally wary of another head knock, more likely lost reaction time and flight of the ball judgement. Do they come back?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 22 Jun 2022 9:39am The last bout of concussion seems to have knocked the stuffing out of Jack. He is not the same player as before. Perhaps naturally wary of another head knock, more likely lost reaction time and flight of the ball judgement. Do they come back?
Didn't seem to do much hard chasing against Essendon, and zero defensive pressure, then again he had a few mates.You can't let a forward line play so badly and get away with it, so a message needs to be sent at selection.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 22 Jun 2022 9:55am
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 22 Jun 2022 9:39am The last bout of concussion seems to have knocked the stuffing out of Jack. He is not the same player as before. Perhaps naturally wary of another head knock, more likely lost reaction time and flight of the ball judgement. Do they come back?
Didn't seem to do much hard chasing against Essendon, and zero defensive pressure, then again he had a few mates.You can't let a forward line play so badly and get away with it, so a message needs to be sent at selection.
This! It's a toss up between Higgins and Jones on who has the greatest speed differential between running forward with or calling for the ball VERSUS chasing or folding back.

Higgins is smart enough to get on his bike when we have the ball but I want to see him being strong enough to work hard when we don't have it.

The ease of which the ball exited our forward half was a disgrace, no wonder Membrey kept jogging into our defence when our forwards offered little to no pressure.

Take Butler out and it basically leaves Long as the only player willing to chase and attempt to tackle.

I actually worry for Steele coming back early and we cannot allow him the proper recovery period. He will take it upon himself to make up for our tackling / pressure deficit - that's the indictment on all who played last week.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Billings get dropped for his lack of defensive pressure a few weeks back? I don't think anyone in the team should have a guaranteed walk up spot after the last pi&s weak effort against a struggling team.