Geary has retired

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: Geary has retired

Brunswicksainter wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 8:51pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 5:20pm Don’t blame Gears for hanging around..for delicately timing his stepping-down-as-capitan announcement (after lists were finalized)…

Sure, personally, maybe he shouldn’t have been on the list this year. But it is St Kilda’s weaknesss not to stand up to Gears’s manager.

The Football Department is weak…managers are strong and incentivized. And the whole club is an assembly of different sub-assemblies, with different metrics, key performance targets, evaluations, and individuals with ambitious of various bents - many of whom might be with a rival club or another sporting code, next season.

I really don’t think there is a Chief who uses his or her judgment based on an overall viewpoint that is organic and whole…It is just various stats, rubrics and rhetoric mixed in to presentations….

Same deal with Ratts’s resigning.

No slant in Ratts.

Pat in the back for his manager.
Agree 100%; although as a leader at the club he should have taken it upon himself to see the writing on the wall and step aside before the start of the season. I’m sure the club could and should offer him a coaching/development gig. Just think as a leader you need to hold yourself to a higher standard.
Each to their own opinion Brunswick, but I cut some slack to a wonderful servant of the club who bled for the red, white and black.

What are your thoughts on Hannebery?
Hasn’t exactly bled for the club and probably collected as much money in his time at StKilda as Geary has in his whole career (tongue-in-cheek).

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 10:06pm
Brunswicksainter wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 8:51pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 5:20pm Don’t blame Gears for hanging around..for delicately timing his stepping-down-as-capitan announcement (after lists were finalized)…

Sure, personally, maybe he shouldn’t have been on the list this year. But it is St Kilda’s weaknesss not to stand up to Gears’s manager.

The Football Department is weak…managers are strong and incentivized. And the whole club is an assembly of different sub-assemblies, with different metrics, key performance targets, evaluations, and individuals with ambitious of various bents - many of whom might be with a rival club or another sporting code, next season.

I really don’t think there is a Chief who uses his or her judgment based on an overall viewpoint that is organic and whole…It is just various stats, rubrics and rhetoric mixed in to presentations….

Same deal with Ratts’s resigning.

No slant in Ratts.

Pat in the back for his manager.
Agree 100%; although as a leader at the club he should have taken it upon himself to see the writing on the wall and step aside before the start of the season. I’m sure the club could and should offer him a coaching/development gig. Just think as a leader you need to hold yourself to a higher standard.
Each to their own opinion Brunswick, but I cut some slack to a wonderful servant of the club who bled for the red, white and black.

What are your thoughts on Hannebery?
Hasn’t exactly bled for the club and probably collected as much money in his time at StKilda as Geary has in his whole career (tongue-in-cheek).
Well said DB but the thought of DH earning more money in 4 years at the saints (& only played 13 games) than Gears made in his entire career is very sad IMO

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 10:01pm 'n anyone in a worthy position of leadership
would already hold themselves to a 'high' (er) standard
... thats sorta how they fit the role
Yep,

But as Roo said, they don't wanna go. Nobody - or edit, no every player thinks its their time. They've got fire and fight in them, they wanna keep punching. they have self-confidence and belief and believe they can do it. Roo said he wanted to play until he was forty.

Now I didn't realise that Gears is in the throes of an injury.

I was furious when we let Nathan Brown go mid-2020. No ifs, no buts, he was our backup big defender...after Carlisle's exit we needed him.

But in this case, I honestly can't see a role for a fit Gears, let alone an injured one.

super soldier was Gears!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Unsung defender and a great, loyal servant for the club.

Such a shame he isn’t getting a proper send off. The lads will pay him his due respect by smashing the Western Floggies tonight!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Amongst the many good and brave things Jarryn did was give honest public feedback to Richo. Constructive feedback.
I hope he drops a note on Ratts desk with his exit interview form.
Or maybe takes Ratts for a coffee.