Question for Ratten lovers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Re: Question for Ratten lovers

I don't know if the decision was wrong, however it was premature. And I don't think it was premature because of Clarkson (Lyon is also out there), I think its premature because we don't really know how far we've come forward since last year. When the decision was made, we were facing a post bye hard audit. Thus far that audit has indicated we are not as far ahead as we thought, without knowing where we are precisely and with a significant part of the audit still to come over the next 4 weeks.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 2:12pm I don't know if the decision was wrong, however it was premature. And I don't think it was premature because of Clarkson (Lyon is also out there), I think its premature because we don't really know how far we've come forward since last year. When the decision was made, we were facing a post bye hard audit. Thus far that audit has indicated we are not as far ahead as we thought, without knowing where we are precisely and with a significant part of the audit still to come over the next 4 weeks.
Lyon? What a joke but at least you made me smile. :twisted:

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 2:20pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 2:12pm I don't know if the decision was wrong, however it was premature. And I don't think it was premature because of Clarkson (Lyon is also out there), I think its premature because we don't really know how far we've come forward since last year. When the decision was made, we were facing a post bye hard audit. Thus far that audit has indicated we are not as far ahead as we thought, without knowing where we are precisely and with a significant part of the audit still to come over the next 4 weeks.
I don't get the Clarkson obsession when Lyon is also out there. Lyon is just as good, Clarkson had a far better list than Lyon had with us or Freo. If I had to choose between the two now, it'd be Lyon any day of the week. Lyon would come a lot cheaper and Clarkson has already won 4, who's going to be hungrier?
Last edited by The G Train Legacy on Tue 26 Jul 2022 2:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 12:18am
Shaggy wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 11:44pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 1:09pm
Saintmatt wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 12:20pm
Banger9798 wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 8:19am
..... Player managers will not entertain sending their players to a club that's in turmoil......
Ah?

If the price is right they'll go anywhere.

Hill, Hanners..
Hanners was offered $1m a year with Melbourne for 5 years which he rejected. He stayed with Swans for $800K. After an injury year he went to us with an extra year on the contract but the $800K diluted based on incentives which of course have not worked out. He compromised this year downwards again because he has not given the value. Moving to the Saints has been a bad financial decision for Hanners.
I do not know the details, but to say that Hanners's rejection of 1mil for five years vs 800K with Sydney is a premise to suggest Hanners lost money coming to us..is faulty..It is Fawlty Towers. !! Hanners market value declined so sharply in his last years with Sydney, even their loving and respecting fans were glad to see him go. Not only that, they laughed at StKFC. Now, first up, we all know the system is a bit of a s*** show, full of dodgy brothers levels of rusted out 1968 Dodge utes. And we know that a 1968 rusted out Dodge ute probably carried him to Moorabin (seaford?) from Sydney ..which caused more wear and tear. MOreover, we know StKFC was obliged to spend money..and no one would come to us. Suddenly , a rusted out '68 Dodge ute is classic muscle car. It's now an XR GT or an HJ MOnaro with a 327 Chev.

Hanners didnt lose..he was winner...big time...Jack Pot...Money Bags...ring the bell.s...He and his trusty manager...won big time...To suggest he lost money and made sacrifices is ridiculous IMO. NO diss for Hanners as a man. I respect him. I respect his manager. Just sayin' as it were.
If true, I'm with shaggy.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 2:31pm
I don't get the Clarkson obsession when Lyon is also out there. Lyon is just as good, Clarkson had a far better list than Lyon had with us or Freo. If I had to choose between the two now, it'd be Lyon any day of the week. Clarkson has already won 4, who's going to be hungrier?
Lyon's a f****** dud. He lost 4 premierships with two different clubs, whereas Clarko won heaps of flags.

Besides the tosser is an unmitigated untrustworthy human being. Just ask the saints admin.

older saint
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 2:34pm
I don't get the Clarkson obsession when Lyon is also out there. Lyon is just as good, Clarkson had a far better list than Lyon had with us or Freo. If I had to choose between the two now, it'd be Lyon any day of the week. Clarkson has already won 4, who's going to be hungrier?
Lyon's a f****** dud. He lost 4 premierships with two different clubs, whereas Clarko won heaps of flags.

Besides the tosser is an unmitigated untrustworthy human being. Just ask the saints admin.
Come on now tell us what you really think .... :D :D :D :D

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

The Saints admin circa 2011? The ones that got the Club into the mess we're now in?

Blight lost 4 Premierships, before he went back to back.

Edit: correction Blight lost 3 (Ayres the other), however Lyon has only also lost three, you're counting the draw.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 2:42pm

The Saints admin circa 2011? The ones that got the Club into the mess we're now in?

Edit: correction Blight lost 3 (Ayres the other), however Lyon has only also lost three, you're counting the draw.
Well a draw is not a f****** win, I can assure you of that as I was there. :cry: :cry:

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 3:12pm

Well a draw is not a f****** win, I can assure you of that as I was there. :cry: :cry:
I was there too, to witness us almost steal a Premiership from a Collingwood team who at the time were a juggernaut and 10 goals better than anyone else. We almost stole it thanks to lionhearted efforts from Hayes, Goddard, Riewoldt and Gilbert and genius coaching from Lyon. Regardless drawing a Grand Final is not losing a Premiership, he's lost 3. 1 Premiership took 2 games to decide.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I don't get the Clarkson obsession when Lyon is also out there. Lyon is just as good, Clarkson had a far better list than Lyon had with us or Freo. If I had to choose between the two now, it'd be Lyon any day of the week. Lyon would come a lot cheaper and Clarkson has already won 4, who's going to be hungrier?
It’s a fair question mate. However you’re conversing with a poster who thought it was ‘great news’ that we re-signed Ratten.

Lyon did more for our club than any other coach. Actually we had respect when Lyon coached. But some can’t see it because their pet Luke Ball didn’t get on in the last quarter of the 09 GF even though he’d done FA all year and couldn’t run a game out

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Riewoldt blames the admin for making RL walk.

I was furious at the time too but good grief I'd do anything to see us play with that sort of commitment again.

Not gonna happen though as the current admin is happy with Mr Fifty Percent.

Cuddle rooms, meditating on the field, synchronised breathing, compassionate leave, virtue signalling ... all things I reckon RL would ditch to focus on winning.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 9:30pm

I was there too, to witness us almost steal a Premiership from a Collingwood team who at the time were a juggernaut and 10 goals better than anyone else. We almost stole it thanks to lionhearted efforts from Hayes, Goddard, Riewoldt and Gilbert and genius coaching from Lyon. Regardless drawing a Grand Final is not losing a Premiership, he's lost 3. 1 Premiership took 2 games to decide.
2nd half of that year, pies were very dominant. We somehow managed to draw with them. But all Lyon gets from some is disrespect

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 9:43pm

2nd half of that year, pies were very dominant. We somehow managed to draw with them. But all Lyon gets from some is disrespect
We'd won 1 flag in our history when Lyon was appointed, we'd still only won 1 flag when he bolted out the door and jumped on the Freo bound gravy train.

I wonder if he helped clean out Mark Harvey's locker.

Lyon and respect, sounds like an oxymoron.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

You’re an astute poster talking to a senile muppet - ignore
He’s up there with Sunny on trolling…
That aside Lyon was a superb coach - I have it direct from ex assistants (one he let go) who told me his meticulous planning and attention to detail and ability to instill a game style that an entire team brought into EVERY week was second to none.
The ONLY time in my life I’ve walked into games EXPECTING to win ….hearing opposition fans shytting themselves cause they were playing the Saints.
We had respect
We had fear from some sides it was great times
We are hollow shell of a side from Lyons era with a coach who I don’t think has the ability tactically to come up with a game style that stands up against good opposition and who clearly can’t get the team to give an even 4 quarter effort for most weeks

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 11:09pm

We'd won 1 flag in our history when Lyon was appointed, we'd still only won 1 flag when he bolted out the door and jumped on the Freo bound gravy train.

We had 1 flag when GT joined
We had 1 flag and zero GF appearances when he left
Not sure the point but could rattle off 20 others …
Very few got us to a chance of at least winning a flag let alone back to back
Lyon was a great coach
I think the games past him now but he could coach

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spot on!
We should never haven been in the contest in 2010
Pies took Lyons style and built there own style off it well which they delivered well
2009 was our year and we blew it
Great coaches get the best out of their team often
Lyon could do that
Ratts has no idea

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 11:55pm

Lyon was a great coach
Not well enough is my point, no flags for his game style that didn't cut it in Grand Finals.
Best not talk about his ability to develop a list, in fact, best not to talk about about yesterday's man at all.
Why reminisce failure at the big dance.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 12:15am

Lyon was a great coach
Not well enough is my point, no flags for his game style that didn't cut it in Grand Finals.
Best not talk about his ability to develop a list, in fact, best not to talk about about yesterday's man at all.
You’ve at least got to be in it (GF) to win it
He did that far better than some other so called coaching flops lauded as “geniuses” on here
And I think I’d take him over Ratten still
Whose in danger of cuddling them to death

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think you’ve got to remember who was the opponent and give them some credit

Geelong 2007-11

Were a frightening team

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 12:18am
Wayne42 wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 12:15am

Lyon was a great coach
You’ve at least got to be in it (GF) to win it
He did that far better than some other so called coaching flops lauded as “geniuses” on here
And I think I’d take him over Ratten still
Whose in danger of cuddling them to death
Ross is past it.

Why does he now sell real estate ?
Because someone else does the developing. :lol: :lol: :lol: