Ross Lyon and Finals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ross Lyon needs to guide St Kilda to the finals in the first year of his second stint as club coach

Agree
18%
Disagree
82%

Total votes: 44

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon and Finals

I think Banger would make an excellent coach and it's just another area where the club f***ed up big time in the past by not appointing him to the main gig.

Hopefully sometime in the future, he will be our next coach
Last edited by saynta on Wed 15 Mar 2023 1:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 1:06pm

Interesting that he said if it was about the list he wouldn’t have taken the gig…..that’s telling what he thinks of the list I think ..,

I found that comment interesting too.

The fact the recruitment strategy is now via the draft suggests it's going to take every bit of Lyons 4 year contract for him to bring in the players he needs to work the plan.

The other interesting watch will be to see if he can attract players to the club, i.e. can he make us a destination club.

One thing is almost certain, the list is going to look completely different in 4 years time.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think Ross Lyon and Brett Ratten have much in common when it comes to taking on the role

The two coaches came to us in different circumstances but there are some similarities

Ratten didn't 'take on the gig' based on what he saw in the list- or the prospect of immediate finals success...did he? We finished bottom 4 in 2018

When Brett Ratten was appointed he was already involved in clubland. Ross Lyon on the other hand, was not working inside AFL clubland and 3 years had gone by without a new home

Brett was not considered as good a coach or as highly rated as Ross, but the disadvantage Lyon had was the fact he was approaching an expiry date for someone who is 'outside' the AFL landscape

I think both may have taken the job because they perhaps saw it as their last opportunity to try and be a premiership coach.

I don't think it was all Brett's doing that we tried to top up instead of going to the draft. The club made the decision to go for Hill, Ryder, Howard, Butler, and Zak Jones BEFORE he was appointed senior coach.

Brett went along with what his footy department wanted. He never had the opportunity to set the agenda from the moment he arrived.

Guys like Lonie and Kent...Savage and Nathan Brown were seen as best 22 from most of the selection committee and Ratten had to fight to change that

He inherited a mess. He didn't choose his development staff and his assistants either.

Ratten inherited a club in no man's land without a clear strategy. Ross has the advantage of a club that now knows the path it needs to take to create the opportunity to win a flag

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 3:21pm I think Ross Lyon and Brett Ratten have much in common when it comes to taking on the role

The two coaches came to us in different circumstances but there are some similarities

Ratten didn't 'take on the gig' based on what he saw in the list- or the prospect of immediate finals success...did he?

When Brett Ratten was appointed he was already involved in clubland. Ross Lyon on the other hand, was not working inside AFL clubland and 3 years had gone by without a new home

Brett was not considered as good a coach or as highly rated as Ross, but the disadvantage Lyon had was the fact he was approaching an expiry date for someone who is 'outside' the AFL landscape

I think both may have taken the job because they perhaps saw it as their last opportunity to try and be a premiership coach.

I don't think it was all Brett's doing that we tried to top up instead of going to the draft. The club made the decision to go for Hill, Ryder, Howard, Butler, and Zak Jones BEFORE he was appointed senior coach.

Brett went along with what his footy department wanted. He never had the opportunity to set the agenda from the moment he arrived. He didn't choose his development staff and his assistants either

Ratten inherited a club in no man's land without a clear strategy. Ross has the advantage of a club that now knows the path it needs to take to create the opportunity to win a flag
I think you may have a bit of a handle on where things went wrong.

I believe Ratts had stopped listening to his assistants as the Saints final hopes began to sink and in fact wasn't talking to Gallagher at all a month before the draft.

I think the 2009-11 crew could see the blood in the water and while it can look like they were undermining the coach, they were in fact looking after the clubs best interests.

I certainly liked Ratts and while I am not a RTB fanboy, I can see the club didn't have much of a choice.

Yeah, the press might not agree but in reality they are f****** ignorant where the Saints are really coming from.

I can only hope everyone gets on for the ride as it's going to be f****** amazing.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Don't you think that Ratts (and probably Richo), knew he was going to eat Richo's breakfast sooner or later? Right from the get go?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

As long as they stay united and are genuinely 'looking after the clubs best interests' then I'll be happy

Make it all about player development and keep the coach's ego out of it.

I think if this team of coaches are all still there in four years time we have a very good chance of success

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

To suggest after 3 years Ratts had no power to change things and just had to go with his footy Dept direction is rubbish
He was a SENIOR AFL coach FFS
Brett backed in Rath (a statistics guy) and if you listen to those who are close to the club and who Know…Brett gave Rath way too much say ….
I don’t need to guess, speculate etc there are enough genuinely connected people here and on BF who’ve indicated Brett had lost the players
Go read Hunter Clark transformation on staying …
Anyhoo Brett’s history thank **** for that
Now let’s build a side that can challenge RTB!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 1:28pm

Interesting that he said if it was about the list he wouldn’t have taken the gig…..that’s telling what he thinks of the list I think ..,

The fact the recruitment strategy is now via the draft suggests it's going to take every bit of Lyons 4 year contract for him to bring in the players he needs to work the plan.

The other interesting watch will be to see if he can attract players to the club, i.e. can he make us a destination club.

One thing is almost certain, the list is going to look completely different in 4 years time.
I keep saying it,..hence why he got 4
The club have finally woken up , looked in the mirror and realised …we are a long way off it

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 7:03pm

The club have finally woken up , looked in the mirror and realised …we are a long way off it
Now we just need to stay the coarse and not flinch in the face of adversity...be Geelong.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 8:47pm

Now we just need to stay the coarse and not flinch in the face of adversity...be Geelong.
And not stuff up the draft
Tbh Silvagni appointed is the only blemish this far I see but it could be worse….Trout..
I’m just hoping it’s Tocci et al who really make the calls ..

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 8:47pm

coUrse.... :roll: ie: race course...sandpaper is coarse