RTB on SEN this morning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: RTB on SEN this morning

bobmurray wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 6:48pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 6:35pm Wouldn’t rush out to buy a house from him!
Softened the sarcasm slightly but the 2009-2011 levels of bulls*** still prevail.

A year of exploration but we will continue to select Steele and Wood clearly injury limited!
He thinks he’s the smartest bloke in the room and interesting as well!
It's now wearing thinner than his hairdo.
Can forgive his personality when playing a decent style AND winning.

ALas!!

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Hard lot to please.

Still sitting 5th!

Did you expect Ross Lyon to magically fix every issue our club has had overnight?

If you did, no one can help you.

We're you promised more than what is being delivered?

You were not, much to the criticism of some on here.

Can you see progress?

If you can't I suggest you get your eyes checked.

For the first time in a long time we appear to be on a path to genuine structural improvement and many on here are critical of the people taking us down that road. Get a grip.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 7:10pm Hard lot to please.

Still sitting 5th!

Did you expect Ross Lyon to magically fix every issue our club has had overnight?

If you did, no one can help you.

We're you promised more than what is being delivered?

You were not, much to the criticism of some on here.

Can you see progress?

For the first time in a long time we appear to be on a path to genuine structural improvement and many on here are critical of the people taking us down that road. Get a grip.
You sir can join my RTB fanboy Fanclub. :wink:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 7:10pm Hard lot to please.

Still sitting 5th!

No but I expect him to be able to discuss the areas requiring improvement. Or at least be convincing enough to suggest he understands.

I'm sure he does, but his words and actions are not the same. So his words mean nothing.

To be clear, I think Ross is coaching well. I just think he is not worth watching in the media for any insight behind the 4 walls.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Why do I get the feeling there’s a cohort on here hanging around hoping that Lyon fails?

Grudgingly happy when his team wins
Almost ecstatic when his team loses

Just a reminder though
His team is supposed to be our team
through thick and thin
FQF

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Thinking for oneself/questioning and wanting the best for the club are not mutually exclusive.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 9:02pm Thinking for oneself/questioning and wanting the best for the club are not mutually exclusive.
Just because one thinks they know what’s best for the Club doesn’t necessarily mean that it actually is.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 7:10pm
Can you see progress?

Really? See Yorkeys post in the link below. Forget about opinions on how we might be travelling...the proof is in the pudd. The maths is indisputable.

Yorkeys post shows the similarities with ladder position and percentage at the same time last year.

The footy we've dished up in the last 6-8 weeks also reminds me of how we played last year, so I don't see the progress. Yes, we do have some individuals who are improving.

Let's wait and see anyhow. I'm happy to assess at the end of 2024. That's not a typo...I do mean 2024

viewtopic.php?p=2015234#p2015234

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 9:06pm
SaintPav wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 9:02pm Thinking for oneself/questioning and wanting the best for the club are not mutually exclusive.
Just because one thinks they know what’s best for the Club doesn’t necessarily mean that it actually is.
Straw man.

It’s a bit more fundamental than that like being a bit more open and transparent with your supporters instead of obfuscating through weasel words or just straight out lying.

A few supporters like going with the flow because they don’t want to rock the boat or have some weird man love crush but many others don’t think that way, particularly when things aren’t going that well.

Aren’t supporters allowed to question the regime?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Listen to the current chatter on Gold Coast performance post-bye. We are flying under the radar because of ladder position but we are in the same boat.

I don't mind us having poor games, exposing issues - as long as we're actively looking to fix them and improve.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 9:33pm
Straw man.

It’s a bit more fundamental than that like being a bit more open and transparent with your supporters instead of obfuscating through weasel words or just straight out lying.

A few supporters like going with the flow because they don’t want to rock the boat or have some weird man love crush but many others don’t think that way, particularly when things aren’t going that well.

Not referencing anyone in this thread, but certainly…
Let’s leave it to the experts
Or
The coach knows best

Have always been amongst the worst, most enabling arguments for justifying trash decision making

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 9:43pm
Straw man.

Or
The coach knows best

Have always been amongst the worst, most enabling arguments for justifying trash decision making
I might humbly suggest that the Coach does know best (certainly better than us armchair expert supporters)
And yes, there’s nothing wrong with questioning decisions being made
but
The histrionics of some on here over seemingly everything is flabbergasting to me.
We sacked our last coach half a season ago
Yet some are expecting (demanding?) that everything that caused us to sack that coach be already magically fixed?

Again, I sense a desire for us to fail because of some ingrained hatred of the personality of the new coach

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Straw man.

Or
The coach knows best

“Revert to the expert” is a logical fallacy but not unexpected that some may be slow to understand this concept or may not understand it at all.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Is it fair to judge the coach based on his personality? Yeah, it's a key part of the role, if not the majority of the role. Is Ross the same in front of a camera as he is with the team? I hope not.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Just my opinion

We are all here for the same reasons...We ALL want St Kilda FC to be successful and we all want to see us challenge for top 4 and a premiership... however

There are some people who have a conflict of interest and a personal vested financial interest and they are supporting individuals rather than the club and the team as a whole

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 10:12pm Just my opinion

We are all here for the same reasons...We ALL want St Kilda FC to be successful and we all want to see us challenge for top 4 and a premiership... however

There are some people who have a conflict of interest and a personal vested financial interest and they are supporting individuals rather than the club and the team as a whole
?

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 9:17pm
Can you see progress?

Really? See Yorkeys post in the link below. Forget about opinions on how we might be travelling...the proof is in the pudd. The maths is indisputable.

Yorkeys post shows the similarities with ladder position and percentage at the same time last year.

The footy we've dished up in the last 6-8 weeks also reminds me of how we played last year, so I don't see the progress. Yes, we do have some individuals who are improving.

Let's wait and see anyhow. I'm happy to assess at the end of 2024. That's not a typo...I do mean 2024

Lies and statistics my friend. I've not looked at that post as yet but the improvement is very obvious to me. Despite an injury run which is much worse than last year up to the same stage.

The biggest leap forward I've noticed this year is that we haven't had frequent periods of games or entire games where we are miles off the pace.

Last year we won a few games off the back of one quarter or an individual like King or Higgins standing up.

This year we've not had our pants pulled down as often. Crows took it on and did. Hawks was poor. Richmond was a real mixed bag.

With the exception of the Crows game, only our inability to take our opportunities has cost us.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Straw man.

Or
The coach knows best

Agree
Especially in GT years but I digress

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 10:36pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 9:17pm
Can you see progress?

Lies and statistics my friend. I've not looked at that post as yet but the improvement is very obvious to me. Despite an injury run which is much worse than last year up to the same stage.

The biggest leap forward I've noticed this year is that we haven't had frequent periods of games or entire games where we are miles off the pace.

Last year we won a few games off the back of one quarter or an individual like King or Higgins standing up.

This year we've not had our pants pulled down as often. Crows took it on and did. Hawks was poor. Richmond was a real mixed bag.

With the exception of the Crows game, only our inability to take our opportunities has cost us.
Agree and yet that always gets lost in the narrative
Every simpleton just says W/L we are no better than Ratten coached team
When you look a little deeper you see that’s not right
But I guess it depends what narrator want to peddle

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 10:09pm Is it fair to judge the coach based on his personality? Yeah, it's a key part of the role, if not the majority of the role. Is Ross the same in front of a camera as he is with the team? I hope not.
Have you listened to Longmire?
Voss uses more words than anyone …says nothing ..nice guy tho
McRae ?? Smiles and agrees lots …gives nothing away
C Scott? Always philosophical after a win…and I don’t think he’s that smart…he desperately wants to be but isn’t ..after a loss?? Umpire basher…
NONE of them give you great insight into their team - it’s pre meditated media tripe ..you might get a snippet that’s it
Point is: I don’t think you learn much from coach presser OR after game footy interviews
“yeah bah boys were great today …we knew it was gonna be tough cause (insert any oppo team name) have been playing sone good footy ….but we just felt if we stuck our structure and what’s worked well for us we ‘d be in the contest….”
Rinse repeat
Lyon can appear flippant but I sometimes think he gets frustrated by people over analysing every minor detail when sometimes it just is what it is …
Jack Steele - doesn’t have a knee impediment….keep asking
Tim Membrey…8 weeks …why? He doesn’t feel confident in his knee (keep asking 3 x repeat questions till eventually he has to say no more)

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 8:58pm Why do I get the feeling there’s a cohort on here hanging around hoping that Lyon fails?

Grudgingly happy when his team wins
Almost ecstatic when his team loses

Just a reminder though
His team is supposed to be our team
through thick and thin
FQF
It’s kinda bizarre isn’t it?
There’s just an aspect of “I don’t like him” that’s impossible for some to shake
He irks them
I reckon we win a flag and some will say we should get rid of him
Odd

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 11:05pm
Straw man.

Or
The coach knows best

Agree
Especially in GT years but I digress
To be honest… as far as the fans go, I’ve seen it pretty equally across all of our coaching eras over the last 30 years or so. Alves, Watson, Blight, GT, Lyon, Watters, Richo and Ratten… plenty of questionable decisions along the way with plenty of support at the time and derision for the fans that questioned them at different times

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 21 Jun 2023 9:33pm Listen to the current chatter on Gold Coast performance post-bye. We are flying under the radar because of ladder position but we are in the same boat.

I don't mind us having poor games, exposing issues - as long as we're actively looking to fix them and improve.
Indeed..

We might be worse than Gold Coast!?

On the past six weeks, I’d reckon Gold Coast could take us now.

But we will find out when they play Hawthorn this week Uo there. No Sicily for the Hawks and if Gold Coast don’t crush them like an elephant on a Pepsi can, we can say they also have turned truly south.

Race to the South Pole.

Speaking of South,.,how about North? And Dermott Bretetons rapture of Brett Ratten?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

This simpleton was noting the similarity at similar points in time. Of course other factors need consideration. The way the guys fought out Saturday night's game was a credit to all concerned, they were as brave and committed as I've seen them, Richmond were just better.
At the same time we were not privy to Ratts plan for 2023, which he failed to sell in spectacular fashion. From memory, Ratts introduced Nasiah, Mitchito and Windy which gives natural improvement to the side in their second years.
Of course it takes time for a new set of game plan principles to get bedded down, so accept its too early to judge, but I suggest its ok to query how we let leads go, lost to Hawthorn, a side we should beat comfortably with our list, the shocker against Adelaide and the loss to Port. Is it too simpleton like to wonder about how the team was prepared for those games, i.e. the coaching. Maybe, if you say so.
Trust me, I'm an experienced successful coach is fine and to label the year exploratory is ok (but why use that term?). Some of us remember things like the 5yr plan and feel a little wary. Unworthy I know, but it doesn't lessen love for the club or respect for Ross' coaching ability and hoping against hope we make finals.
Friday night will be a another milestone in the journey and I'll be there yelling like the simpleton I am, actually expecting to do well, even if the formidable Qld side beats us. Put in a blinder Dougssss.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I for one hope he succeeds

But imo it’ll be the team that succeeds - not him - he won’t kick one goal!

I don’t subscribe to the fact that he’s some mastermind coach and because of him we will be successful

We need to get lucky in two more drafts, secure one A Grade FA
And win a couple of trades, also, find another Mason Wood

Maybe also snare a good Rookie or Mid Season pick to boot?!

List must evolve naturally and inn4 years we might be a contender- or still be stuck in the mire