CLINTON JONES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

villasaint
Club Player

I think Ross loves him, or sorry he loves his pace as we have been criticized for a lack of speed. His kicking is terrible, but he does get the ball. Not in our best 22 , back up att best

smasherini
Club Player

CJ is very good at reading the play and getting the footy.He definately needs to imrove his kicking as I feel this may be the difference between him making ir or not.I can see continual improvement from the lad,he just has to go to the "Stewart Loewe School of Kicking."

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

could work on his handpassing too.

at least his marking and vision has improved dramatically

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:get more praise than on Saints Forums. Cannot help but think it is beacuse the Dons fans did not have preconceived ideas of what Jones was...they just judged him on what he did on the night.
a carlton mate whose judgement on footballers i really rate who was quite impressed by jones on friday night.

i'll admit to being pleasantly surprised by what he did because before that i wouldn't have given him a ghost of a chance of making our best 22 barring the usual catastrophic injury crisis.

but i'm happy to be proved wrong on things like that and if he can show he is not a one-hit wonder there will be a spot for him in our generally one-paced midfield.

pace is not to be under-estimated as a commodity on the football field.

jones is a real goer but his kicking and decision making needs work. until he can improve that i wouldn't want him anywhere near the goals.

if only he could think as fast as he can move

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

if only he could think as fast as he can move
At this stage he has only played 6 AFL games....

Players when they enter the AFL all seem to state that it is a huge jump up from other competitions....faster paced, more pressure etc...

So there is still a lot of scope for Jones to adjust....

Now he may not, but even with him being 24 it is early days yet.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Anyway...the good news is even if he does not make the 22 that he is putting enormous pressure on others to lift their game.

For example...Fizz and Milne

Similarly Geary is putting pressure on L Fisher and Raph

Armo on Birss and X

This is good news.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i think he is in our best 22, i like the kid, dont like raph clarke, think he is a waste

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:i think he is in our best 22, i like the kid, dont like raph clarke, think he is a waste
Commas aren't the same as full stops buddy! :lol:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Spinner wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
I have nothing against him as a person, but as a footballer I hope that he never takes the field for St Kilda again. If he does take the field and dominates I will be happy to be labelled a complete moron with no football knowledge whatsoever, but up until now he has shown nothing to suggest that will happen.
:wink:
Its funny because he racked up like 23 disposals, and he was still s***.

No one argues against his ball winning ability....Its just people like myself dont want he to actually get the ball.
I think we need to give stickies to posters like MSG and Spinner to quote their favourite players and their hated hacks. That way we can all bask in their collective god like knowledge of the game. (even when MSG doesnt even bother to watch the game)
Fair dinkum their suport for the players busting a gut out there in the red and black, is pathetic, and I get the feeling I would prefer sitting next to an opposition supporter and not one of "them".

Seeya
StPeter
Club Player

I think definitely worth a place in our best team at the moment.

Has shown plenty already this year.

Has pace, knows how to tackle and can get the ball heaps.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Spinner wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
I have nothing against him as a person, but as a footballer I hope that he never takes the field for St Kilda again. If he does take the field and dominates I will be happy to be labelled a complete moron with no football knowledge whatsoever, but up until now he has shown nothing to suggest that will happen.
:wink:
Its funny because he racked up like 23 disposals, and he was still s***.

No one argues against his ball winning ability....Its just people like myself dont want he to actually get the ball.
I think we need to give stickies to posters like MSG and Spinner to quote their favourite players and their hated hacks. That way we can all bask in their collective god like knowledge of the game. (even when MSG doesnt even bother to watch the game)
Fair dinkum their suport for the players busting a gut out there in the red and black, is pathetic, and I get the feeling I would prefer sitting next to an opposition supporter and not one of "them".
Why? Because we seem to have an opinion on a certain player that is different to most?

Maybe 'YOU' should try and defend my comment by explaining why you dont agree with it instead of playing the "your such a know-all" card.

Also, Attack My support? Describe it Pathetic? Big call.

...I think you may be confusing the term "opinion" with "support". Because anyone questioning my support of the club as a whole doesn't have much to stand on.

Huzzad
Club Player

Thought CJ was great against the bombers. His kicking was great and decision making was much better. Still room for improvement, but his kicking into forward 50 was deadly accurate and managed to find a fair few touches. Could use a touch more confidence and skill development, but I am a big fan and have been since last year and I think most people agree, CJ has had a great season and put alot of doubters in their place (what else is new.) He just needs to back it up the real season, but I am confident he will.

As for the "fluking tackles" remark, how quickly we have forgotten those 2-3 tackles in 15 seconds against Richmond, not to mention the ones against the Cats and Bombers. Missed a couple, for sure, everyone does, but better tackler than some out there.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Saintlyone
Club Player

some very harsh comments on a guy who hasnt playued a full season.
This thread just may end up being a litmus test to show which saint supporters are a bit 'trigger happy'

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I hope that CJ plays in the GF.

The Crows are normally a very well drilled team that structure up well.
It will be interesting seeing how CJ goes.

The other factor if CJ plays forward is whether CJ's pace and tackling can help to limit the quick rebound out of the Crows backline...an area where they often hurt us.

stkfc1
Club Player

It's funny how some people view players,the guy's only played like ten games maybe, probably a bit early to really comment I'd say! Most people who i speak too (who aren't saints supporters) think CJ is a real find and would love to have him! He has a real go, and for anyone wearing a red,white and black guernsey that is all any of us can ask for!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:He was worth a punt and we had to try him in the AFL.
I agree that he was worth a try. His case was similar to Andrew Swallow at the Kangaroos. Ball magnet, had the body for AFL and a very good attitude, but just couldn't kick the footy. Swallow would have gone top 10 in the draft if his kicking was better, but ended up slipping into the 40's.

As soon as he got to the Kangaroos they corrected the error in his kicking and Swallow all of a sudden was a very good AFL player. It seems that Jones' problem is more than just technique and won't be fixed.

Jones was certainly worth the punt, but it is a punt that hasn't payed off. Like most rookies, he just isn't good enough at AFL level.
i think it is a punt that has paid off, well at least so far. his kicking is a little better. he sometimes panics but that can be worked on. his pace is great, and what the saints need.
Last edited by saintly on Mon 03 Mar 2008 5:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:He was worth a punt and we had to try him in the AFL.
I agree that he was worth a try. His case was similar to Andrew Swallow at the Kangaroos. Ball magnet, had the body for AFL and a very good attitude, but just couldn't kick the footy. Swallow would have gone top 10 in the draft if his kicking was better, but ended up slipping into the 40's.

Jones was certainly worth the punt, but it is a punt that hasn't payed off. Like most rookies, he just isn't good enough at AFL level.

Well, luckily for Jones it is not up to us supporters to decide his playing future.
That will be decided by people whose livelihoods depend on them making the correct decisions re players' futures. I'm sure those that are paid to make these decisions will not be spending too much time worrying about what various posters to football forums think about a player.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:I think we need to give stickies to posters like MSG and Spinner to quote their favourite players and their hated hacks. That way we can all bask in their collective god like knowledge of the game. (even when MSG doesnt even bother to watch the game)
First of all, I did not simply decide not to watch the game while lazing about throwing darts at a poster of Clint Jones as you would believe. I was actually receiving quarter by quarter updates in the mosh pit at the Soundwave festival (tickets which I have had for months and I wasn't going to let the chance to see two of my favourite bands of all time slip by to watch a practice game).

And I do not believe that I possess a god-like knowledge of football. I do however, like to state my opinion and then back it up with facts rather than hanging around on the forum all day posting "yeah rooy is da s*** n raph sux!"

I support the club no matter what, but this is a forum for discussing how we can improve our chances of success. If you want to read nothing but how fantastic every player on the list is and how we'll win every game this year, then start your own forum and don't let anyone join but you.

Huzzad
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Well, luckily for Jones it is not up to us supporters to decide his playing future.
That will be decided by people whose livelihoods depend on them making the correct decisions re players' futures. I'm sure those that are paid to make these decisions will not be spending too much time worrying about what various posters to football forums think about a player.
All I can say is amen. Amen.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:I'm sure those that are paid to make these decisions will not be spending too much time worrying about what various posters to football forums think about a player.
Well said M.M., that's up to "opinion" jounrnalists to worry about what various posters to football forums think about certain players.

8-)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
sunsaint wrote:I think we need to give stickies to posters like MSG and Spinner to quote their favourite players and their hated hacks. That way we can all bask in their collective god like knowledge of the game. (even when MSG doesnt even bother to watch the game)
First of all, I did not simply decide not to watch the game while lazing about throwing darts at a poster of Clint Jones as you would believe. I was actually receiving quarter by quarter updates in the mosh pit at the Soundwave festival (tickets which I have had for months and I wasn't going to let the chance to see two of my favourite bands of all time slip by to watch a practice game).

And I do not believe that I possess a god-like knowledge of football. I do however, like to state my opinion and then back it up with facts rather than hanging around on the forum all day posting "yeah rooy is da s*** n raph sux!"

I support the club no matter what, but this is a forum for discussing how we can improve our chances of success. If you want to read nothing but how fantastic every player on the list is and how we'll win every game this year, then start your own forum and don't let anyone join but you.
MSG...keep posting.

I enjoy your posts even if I often disagree with aspects of them.

Posting opinions, even if strongly done is the lifeblood of a forum.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I'm sure those that are paid to make these decisions will not be spending too much time worrying about what various posters to football forums think about a player.
Well said M.M., that's up to "opinion" jounrnalists to worry about what various posters to football forums think about certain players.

8-)
Aint that the truth! :)

ilovecj

clinton is an awesome player
f*** off all youse that think hes s***
[/quote]

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

ilovecj wrote:clinton is an awesome player
f*** off all youse that think hes s***
[/quote]

U put such a strong case forward 4 Clint and welcome to the forum Mrs Jones.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time