5 Clubs chasing GOOSE !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

can I start another thread with amessage to goose and X :(

Please guys get pen to paper- word to managers,

WE WANT YOU AT THE SAINTS

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
QueenC
Club Player

Sometimes it isn't as simple as what the player wants, whether that be to stay or not, but what the club is willing to give.

Sometimes a player that leaves a club is not the villain of the piece.

That being said as much as I would genuinely love to have Maguire playing in the red and blue I don't for a second believe he will leave the Saints.

I just hope for your sakes that the club shows him some loyalty as well.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

the morons on talking crap don't really want goose anyway....unless he is cheap...ffs......bet their wifes and girlfriends are cheap..btw..either that or they give it away.....

see thread.....

...http://talkingcarlton.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17906

...good for a laugh....see that that little flowerer phoenix johson is still posting there...i used to make him cry..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

unlike rumours coming out regarding the archie and x. clarke.

Dan, can you be more specific for us countrry bumpkins who dont have access to all the local gossip?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Just some s*** on Ch 9......wtf? Mentioned Richmond and Carlton.

QueenC
Club Player

Its amusing that Richmond and Carlton have been named in nearly all trade rumours to surface so far......

And you can add the Dees to the list of clubs having a strong hard look.

saintm
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Just some s*** on Ch 9......wtf? Mentioned Richmond and Carlton.
Said Hawthorn were interested but, if he did not sign with the Saints, Richmond and Carlton were in the best positions to get him through the PSD.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Goose will not go anywhere...is part of the brotherhood.Trust me...I'm an Anaesthetic Technician :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:what did we lack in 07? a stable defence, our previous talls and long term planning was around penny, max and goose.
exactly dan. no coincidence that we lost only three in the second half of the season with goose back in. though clearly not at his best he provided the strong, physical presence so vital at chb ... the one thing we really lacked in the first part of the season.

would be just like us to trade him away for some GOP hack then have to watch him smash us over the next 10 years.

i'll be very disappointed if we let him go ... but nothing would surprise me

rexy
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:Sheldon and Fraser had better get their act together.

Goose and X need to sign ASAP.
tHAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE. AND ROD NEEDS TO ANNOUNCE A NEW MAJOR SPONSOR B4 THE UPCOMING BOARD ELECTION OR THEY LOOK LIKELY TO BE REPLACED imo.

(Sorry caps lock on)

Maybe this year?
st.mart
SS Hall of Fame

Very funny comments here.....indeed...

Goose yes is very structually important.......and going fwd is an important player.....due to his strength (although like him to be an inch or two taller)......but he is severley overrated on here, good player, hate to lose him, very brave and strong.....although he is also clumsy and slow of mind at times

funny comments include...

'he dominated the comp from 2004-2006'......he was on the verge of being dropped in 2006 after poor performances up until R13, but starred on B.Hall in the wet and finished the year well.....04-05 he was solid with some good games....he has only once made the top ten in the B&F (8th), has only a handful of B'Low votes, average career stats and is far from classy....

'he will be similar to G.Jakovich'.....at his age Jaka had won three club championships, two premierships, was the centrepiece of one of the best HB line of all time and consistently beat possibly the greatest player ever..

'he should get a similar pay to S.Fisher' who has been 3rd in the B&F and this year may finished 2nd.....and is a polished defender, maybe All Australian in 2007.....IMO Fisher is our second best performed player since mid 2005...

'He is the BEST CHB in the comp'.......hopefully you mean behind the 4 recent All Australians.....all different players...Egan is now clearly the best CHB in the AFL....

'He is coming back from a FREAK accident'.....it is not a freak incident to break a leg in AFL footy, many (including M.Voss) have had a break of similar magnitude, it was not the break that hampered him too much in 07, it was the lack of conditioning.....Brown's spiral fracture was 50% worse

I don't underestimate his worth to St.K......but also DO NOT overrate him by AFL standards....He is not close to the AFL elite, and simply would not be in St.K best 10 given all fully fit

1. N.Riewoldt
2. L.Hayes
3. N.Dal Santo
4. J.Koschitzke
5. S.Fisher
6. L.Ball
7. B.Goddard
8. L.Montagna
9. J.Gram
10. S.Baker

11. M.Hudghton
12. R.Harvey
13. M.Maguire
14. A.Hamill
15. S.Milne
16. L.Fisher
17. R.Clarke
18. M.Gardiner
19. J.Blake
20. X.Clarke
21. S.Gilbert
22. A.Fiora
23. J.Attard
24. D.Armitage
25. S. Birss

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Reckon that list is very close to my thoughts also.
Reckon Milney may be a bit high and X Clarke a little low that's about it.
Think your top 4 is spot on also, Hayes pre injury was no. 1 for mine.

Fully agree with the rest of the post also, spot on.

Cam1lla
Club Player

Re: 5 Clubs chasing GOOSE !!

bigcarl wrote:let's hope we show some loyalty to goose
yeah loyalty is great

Mackaysaint
Club Player

Clubs will woo almost all out of contract players from opposition clubs - it's simple really - many don't really have an intention of going after that player - but will if it turns out he shows any interest in the honey on offer.
The real intention is to drive up the player payments. Clubs like St Kilda are frequently targetted due to how close we usually are to the cap.

Cogito ergo sum Furtius Quo Rdelius
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:Very funny comments here.....indeed...

Goose yes is very structually important.......and going fwd is an important player.....due to his strength (although like him to be an inch or two taller)......but he is severley overrated on here, good player, hate to lose him, very brave and strong.....although he is also clumsy and slow of mind at times

'he dominated the comp from 2004-2006'......he was on the verge of being dropped in 2006 after poor performances up until R13, but starred on B.Hall in the wet and finished the year well.....04-05 he was solid with some good games....he has only once made the top ten in the B&F (8th), has only a handful of B'Low votes, average career stats and is far from classy....

'he will be similar to G.Jakovich'.....at his age Jaka had won three club championships, two premierships, was the centrepiece of one of the best HB line of all time and consistently beat possibly the greatest player ever..

'he should get a similar pay to S.Fisher' who has been 3rd in the B&F and this year may finished 2nd.....and is a polished defender, maybe All Australian in 2007.....IMO Fisher is our second best performed player since mid 2005...

'He is the BEST CHB in the comp'.......hopefully you mean behind the 4 recent All Australians.....all different players...Egan is now clearly the best CHB in the AFL....

'He is coming back from a FREAK accident'.....it is not a freak incident to break a leg in AFL footy, many (including M.Voss) have had a break of similar magnitude, it was not the break that hampered him too much in 07, it was the lack of conditioning.....Brown's spiral fracture was 50% worse

I don't underestimate his worth to St.K......but also DO NOT overrate him by AFL standards....He is not close to the AFL elite, and simply would not be in St.K best 10 given all fully fit

1. N.Riewoldt
2. L.Hayes
3. N.Dal Santo
4. J.Koschitzke
5. S.Fisher
6. L.Ball
7. B.Goddard
8. L.Montagna
9. J.Gram
10. S.Baker

11. M.Hudghton
12. R.Harvey
13. M.Maguire
14. A.Hamill
15. S.Milne
16. L.Fisher
17. R.Clarke
18. M.Gardiner
19. J.Blake
20. X.Clarke
21. S.Gilbert
22. A.Fiora
23. J.Attard
24. D.Armitage
25. S. Birss
At last some phukcing sense (thansk for that Dan..) on this thread - I said exactly this a week ago and had Carl ready to have me stoned.....you gotta give to get................itd depend whats on the table (and a good ruckman would tempt) but for me Maguire aint totally off limits...

Maguire is a good player - NO superstar. He can only run straight lines can be clumsy and can turn it over or at times simply launch a long bomb fwd. I recall the recent season (I cant remember the exact year) where Maguires form was so bad under Thomas for a long time he was almost dropped from the side - yet we won games...

Only players on their list ratings from yours Id question Marto are Milne/Gilbert - esp Gilbert........he may be more important to the side for his run/tackling for mine...otherwise I agree 100%.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st.mart wrote:Goose yes is very structually important.......and going fwd is an important player.....due to his strength (although like him to be an inch or two taller)......but he is severley overrated on here, good player, hate to lose him, very brave and strong
... but you'd hate to lose him. i agree. structurally very important.

so you don't think we should trade him, marto, i assume

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

would you blame any player walking away from this rabble of a club?

I bet there are a few mid season signings wishing they had of waited to end of season.

With another trucking magnate ready to spend like a drunken sailor they will probably only get 20c in the dollar on their contracts.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
woooosaints
Club Player

1. N.Riewoldt
2. L.Hayes
3. N.Dal Santo
4. J.Koschitzke
5. S.Fisher
6. L.Ball
7. B.Goddard
8. L.Montagna
9. J.Gram
10. S.Baker

11. M.Hudghton
12. R.Harvey
13. M.Maguire
14. A.Hamill
15. S.Milne
16. L.Fisher
17. R.Clarke
18. M.Gardiner
19. J.Blake
20. X.Clarke
21. S.Gilbert
22. A.Fiora
23. J.Attard
24. D.Armitage
25. S. Birss
to be honest id love to trade goose i know that would leave us with only 2 key defenders but heck look at west coast with glass and hunter they are doing fine. If we traded goose i reckon we could get a top 8 pick for sure we could secure rance and pick up another inside mid with pick 9.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Read a bit of stuff about pay cuts being required - crap. When Frase gave it away that freed up $500K (roughly)P.A. Paycuts, schmaycuts. Unnecessary, not freakin' required. We will keep who we want to keep.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Shades
Club Player

1. N.Riewoldt
2. L.Hayes
3. N.Dal Santo
4. J.Koschitzke
5. S.Fisher
6. L.Ball
7. B.Goddard
8. L.Montagna
9. J.Gram
10. S.Baker

11. M.Hudghton
12. R.Harvey
13. M.Maguire
14. A.Hamill
15. S.Milne
16. L.Fisher
17. R.Clarke
18. M.Gardiner
19. J.Blake
20. X.Clarke
21. S.Gilbert
22. A.Fiora
23. J.Attard
24. D.Armitage
25. S. Birss

Goddard has not proven anything YET he is not in our top ten when goose is fit he is 1 of our best

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Shady wrote:Goddard has not proven anything YET he is not in our top ten when goose is fit he is 1 of our best
Was easily top 5 before he went down with his knee injury earlier this year.

As for Goose, he's a great CHB but there still have to be questions over his pace. A Riewoldt-type CHF would kill him. Couldn't play him on Franklin, only real matchups he would have would be on Rocca and J. Brown.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i didn't say he was the best

I said words to the effect that there are about 10 very good tall defenders and 10 goodish tall defenders.

we are lucky to have 3 in that bracket in between very good and good in max, fisher and goose.

as for form, he is still very young, harley lost form a while ago, so did scarlett and inspector gadget. even cornes was struggling for a while when port stacked on the injuries. glass looked very lonely when wce had a few injuries and WCE had a mid season 'slump'

goose IMO is in the bracket of good to very good defenders.

if we lose him, we will find it VERY difficult to replace him with someone of equivalent quality.

we know baker isn't the best midfielder in the competition but he is invaluable to our structure, as an example.

max, lets be honest, had a fragile 07, fisher looked solid and goose was very good in our structure from 04 to 06, adn was a key loss in our finals campaign.

any midfielder we take may take 2 to 3 years to develop.

As for WCE they were really exposed midseason when they started getting scrubbed in the midfield in the absence of players.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SinCitySaint
Club Player

I agree with many of the comments on this thread that Goose is not in our best 10. That is probably correct but because of our structure he is in our most important 10. We will find it extremely difficult to replace a physical defender of his ability.
X on the other hand is a different kettle of fish, extremely talented but at this time a bit of a luxury player. He is probably in our top 10 for pure skill but nowhere near our top 10 for importance.

Carl Mynott
Club Player

I dont think Goose would be a big loss "IF" we found a ready made replacement.If he was traded for a midfielder then i think we would be in trouble.We just dont have any depth regards players that can play key
defensive positions.........

I'm not sure how good or flawed he is but it looks like he is a one position player............interesting times are ahead.....

:P

The more things change the more they stay the same
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

>< carlton, melbourne, richmond and hawthorn all rate him, and are creaming themselves at a crack at him.

it seems our fans would be happy for pettifer for goose ><

maybe pettifer can flood back like the rest of the phukcing team because we need a CHB once goose is gone :lol:

another case of us not valueing what we have :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!