Squad for Friday v. Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It appears that Bally and Rooy will both play which is very good news.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:It appears that Bally and Rooy will both play which is very good news.
Helps renew the interest in the game!

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic news, should be picking up my tickets today, so that makes me quite happy.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, looking forward to this one. I wish last weeks game was televised - I panic when I keep hearing names with the ball I'm not overly familiar with (only then to be delighted they are debut Saints players :lol:). So Roo is definately in?? I hope so, since I'm going to be travelling in there with about 5 Bomber fans :cry: :) :twisted: (might take some salt in with me if this game works out well :D)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

im going to the nab cup grand final if

stkilda are in

and its in melbourne

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://sportal.com.au/AFL-news-display/ ... ints-44010
Stars back for Saints
28/02/2008 2:26:48 PM
Paul Gough
Sportal
Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball, Nick Riewoldt and Robert Harvey are back but Max Hudghton and Justin Koschitzke are out.

That is the wash-up for the Saints' big guns ahead of Friday night's NAB Cup semi-final against Essendon at Telstra Dome.

Hayes, Ball and Riewoldt - the Saints' three co-captains last year - will all be playing their first games of the season while Harvey returns after being rested last week.

But the Saints, who lost veteran spearhead Fraser Gehrig for the remainder of the pre-season with a calf injury last week, have decided to take no chances with full-back Hudghton or key forward Koschitzke after both came off in the dying minutes of the five-point win over Geelong last week in Canberra with muscle tightness in their legs.

With both players having a history of soft-tissue injuries, the Saints have decided to rest them but according to defender Leigh Fisher the key pair will return if the Saints reach the NAB Cup decider.

"Max and Kossy are alright but they have played the last three games - a trial game and then the two NAB Cup games - so they are due for a registered week off," Fisher said on Thursday.

"But they should be right for the following week."

Fisher said the Saints were looking forward to the return of Riewoldt after constant speculation throughout the pre-season that the star centre half-forward was suffering from a serious knee injury.

The Saints even went as far as releasing exclusive pictures on their own website of Riewoldt training strongly to prove he was on track for a senior return.

"Nick will be out there for sure (on Friday night)," Fisher said.

"He has been in full training for the last couple of weeks so he should be ready to go."

Fisher said the Saints would also be boosted by the return of three of their best midfielders in Hayes, Ball and Harvey.

A win on Friday night would give the Saints the chance of winning their second NAB Cup in five seasons, following on from 2004, but Fisher admits it will be tough against a young and exciting Essendon side that is thriving under new coach Matthew Knights.

"Every game (in the NAB Cup) gets more important and it would be nice to get through this week and then have a grand final the following week but it will be a tough game to win tomorrow night," Fisher said.

"Essendon are certainly up and running, they have got plenty of new players in and they have been doing quite well so we will have to watch out for them."

And as for his own start to the season, Fisher says he is just happy to have finally put his own injury woes behind him.

The talented defender played just ten games in his first three seasons with the Saints due to shoulder, hamstring and back problems but in the past two years has firmly established himself as a regular member of the side by playing 36 games - including 21 of 22 last season.

"A couple of years ago it wasn't the greatest time for me but the last couple of years I have been injury free which is nice for a change," he said.

"And you definitely appreciate being able to run out there every week feeling good instead of having little niggles all the time."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It is looking like a pretty awesome Saints line up then...even allowing that this will be the first game for Roo, Hayes and Ball....and Schneider...

Can't wait.

Will be interesting to see if the Dons are as good as they think...becaise they are lacking a lot of experience and emerging players...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I hope that they play Roo as FF or in the pocket...just to ease him back...and minimise his run and hence load on the knee.

Put Allen at CHF flanked by Charlie...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Put Allen at CHF flanked by Charlie...
Totally agree. Play with this smaller, more nimble forward line and see how it goes.

Harvey/X Allen Gardiner
Milne Riewoldt Schneider

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

The bombers have been dam exciting all pre season and they have been great to watch, I just wonder how their young midfield will go against the class and experience of ours...
We also have a great level of experience coming in this week 5 Captains/ Ex Captains in Roo, Ball, Hayes, King and Harvey... should be good.
I wouldn't be surprised if Montagna was rested along with Kosi and Hudghton...

FB: L.Fisher Gilbert Rix
HB: Blake S.Fisher Geary
C: Xavier Hayes Montagna
HF: C.Gardiner Allen Harvey
FF: Schneider Roo Milne
R: King Ball Armitage
I/C: Jones Gram Montagna Fiora Eddy M.Gardiner R.Clarke J.Steven

IMO Lucas is going to be our biggest worry, maybe a Rix/ Geary double team?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:The bombers have been dam exciting all pre season and they have been great to watch, I just wonder how their young midfield will go against the class and experience of ours...
We also have a great level of experience coming in this week 5 Captains/ Ex Captains in Roo, Ball, Hayes, King and Harvey... should be good.

If Rix has to play on Lucas we are in trouble and geary is to small. Chips should be given the job as he is by far and away our best backman playing. If not the only other option is Gilbert.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:The bombers have been dam exciting all pre season and they have been great to watch, I just wonder how their young midfield will go against the class and experience of ours...

If both King and Gardiner play, why do we need Rix?

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

he could be a good option down in the backline

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

I would have the team lining up like this:

FB: L.Fisher Blake Gilbert
HB: Gram S.Fisher Geary
C: X.Clarke Hayes Montagna
HF: C.Gardiner Riewoldt Harvey
FF: Schneider M.Gardiner Milne
I/C: Jones Rix Fiora Steven Allen Eddy R.Clarke McQualter

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:

If both King and Gardiner play, why do we need Rix?
As an insurance policy and also just for some extra height in the backline...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

is dal playing?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Last time Gram played on Lucas and did a credible job ... so we've got that option if necessary.

Leigh Fisher needs to perform well this week IMO. I would like to see some form from him prior to the first round, because he's far from an automatic selection in 2008 ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Last time Gram played on Lucas and did a credible job ... so we've got that option if necessary.

Leigh Fisher needs to perform well this week IMO. I would like to see some form from him prior to the first round, because he's far from an automatic selection in 2008 ...
Well if Gram has done well in the Past he should be given first crack, we've got anough run out of defense without him ATM...

Spot on with L.Fisher, unless there is a serious boost in form I can't see him getting much game time...

(I am aware that he has only played one game this year, I was taking last year as a whole into account)
:wink:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would have Raph Clarke in the starting line-up instead of L. Fisher. Our forward/half forward lines could be improved also.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I would have Raph Clarke in the starting line-up instead of L. Fisher. Our forward/half forward lines could be improved also.
Ideally that would be the case, I'm just not sure how he is going after his collapse a couple of weeks ago.
He should be ok and hopefully he will, because he and his brother were looking very exciting prospects against Richmond...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:I would have the team lining up like this:

FB: L.Fisher Blake Gilbert
HB: Gram S.Fisher Geary
C: X.Clarke Hayes Montagna
HF: C.Gardiner Riewoldt Harvey
FF: Schneider M.Gardiner Milne
I/C: Jones Rix Fiora Steven Allen Eddy R.Clarke McQualter
Gardiner at FF will not work. To slow and cannot take a contested mark. Allen will play somewhere up forward and Gardiner will ruck.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

rexy wrote:Cant see us playing 4 rucks so you would imagine one of the 4 will miss there. I would say Rix is the automatic selection as he can play back and has no injury history to speak of. Dont think Roo will be played (hope im wrong though). Only 3 of Lenny Ball Dal and Joey to get a gig IMO. Dont think Mini will be selected.
Rix is a ruckman who can play back? He's not even a ruckman who can play ruck. Took something like 2 contested marks all last year, worst hitout to advantage rate of regular ruckmen, and can't kick.

Bam finally got his prospectus, and has no more time for either Rix or talking about himself in the third person. Blech to both.

With no King or Kosi listed though, I suppose we justify using Rix to protect us from injuries to Jason Blake.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

So is King playing...?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
RoseInOz
Club Player

From http://www.bomberblitz.com/News/193/llo ... miss-again

The Team
B: Slattery Michael Ramanauskas
HB: Nash Ryder Dempsey
C: Watson McVeigh Peverill
HF: Welsh Lucas Laycock
F: JMonfries Johns Davey
R: Hille Houli Stanton
INT: Atkinson Bellchambers Chartres
Dick Hocking Hooker
Johnson Lonergan Magin
Neagle Reimers

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Rix is a ruckman who can play back? He's not even a ruckman who can play ruck.
:lol: :lol:

sorry rixy, i had to laugh. it's a good line