Raph Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who says that Raphs decision making ability is being questioned on the back of 1 game is sadly deluding themselves.

This is the year to start to see this talent we hear much about - X has busted his gut and suffered injury also but is showing something.

Caydn Beetham was said to have talent...and many more like that.

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

Re: Raph Clarke

Teflon wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
Teflon wrote:Do not want a bagging thread . . . .
So why start one?

Your bagging of him in other threads not providing you with enough satisfaction?

Raph certainly needs to step up and earn his place in the 22.

I fairness though, the kid has missed a lot of football and has been asked to play some pretty demading roles.
Dont like the thread?

Dont read/dont reply? (note youve had a few cracks at it though... :lol: )

Last I looked baiting was one of the site rules...if you haven't the maturity to discuss areas where our side can improve - including players performances - best stick to BF and virtual Board land... :wink:

ps: pop the kettle on will you luv? (last Board meeting minutes 180208) :lol:
I'm not sure who you're more obsessed with . . . me or Grant Thomas.

Funny you'd mention the word maturity (TBH I'm surprised you can spell it) and then following it up with your moronic 'virtual board' line.
Last edited by JeffDunne on Mon 10 Mar 2008 8:05am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

raph will be a better player with some experience alongside him but people are right in saying this is the year he needs to begin to produce.

put max and goose back in the team, free him of some of his defensive responsibilities and give him a licence to be creative.

i think it's a confidence thing with him. he needs to show the same sort of faith in his football instincts that the club is showing in him.

if he can find it then look out.

wallbanger
Club Player

He has all the skills IMO but just needs to concentrate on executing with a bit more polish. Sometimes his 'laziness' can be costly, and against the top teams that could be deadly.

He just needs to step it up a bit but I'm sure the coaching staff will be telling him that after viewing the tape of Saturday night. If he can get that side of his game ironed out I think he will be a valuable member of the team.

Much like Blake though, any good work he does usually gets overshadowed by an obvious skill blunder which oftens results in a turnover. If that can't be removed or at least minimised from his game, he might struggle to retain his spot, especially with Maguire, Goddard and Dempster pushing to re-join the backs.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
markp
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote: On the strength of preseason, you'd expect to see him start the year at Casey. As much as people will continue to disagree on his talent level, basically IMO it comes down to him needing to earn a spot, and his decisions aren't up to it. In the games that will precede the return of Goddard and Maguire, there are other guys who we'll be as well served by seeing as an out of form Raph Clarke.

Let him work up some consistency and some confidence, and hopefully we'll yet see Raph Clarke put it all together.
I agree, solid stint at Casey required.... Could still be anything.

SainterX1
Club Player

Not sure if I am remembering this correctly, but I believe that Adam Goodes had very similar traits to Raph in his early years. This may be why Ross sees such a bright future for him.

FWIW, I think that if Raph can increase his confidence and decrease his brainfades, he will be a solid and dependable player with more than a little flair.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I still have faith that Raphael will be an absolute gun.

Now playing under a decent coach, I have no doubt that he will develop into an important part of our best 22.

To the doubters, I have no doubt that you will all be proved wrong.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
To the top
SS Life Member

So you guys do not think there is a structure to the way a team comes out of defence?

You do not think that the instruction is, if you control the ball in a certain position, you dispose to an identified team plan position, where the responsibility is on others to occupy?

You do not think that defenders are instructed to honour the boundary line?

So it is not just the guy with the ball.

If ANY defender did not play to team rules they would be pulled.

And Raph Clarke is no exception.

He was not pulled - as Milne was in a previous game for flying one handed for an improbable mark. Milne did not play the percentages and, of more importance, did not honour his responsibility to the team - and was immediately pulled.

So, if you want to be critical, look at the players who are pulled by the coaching staff for not following team rules.

And see if they are repeat offenders.

Then draw to question their continuing development - including by looking at their ages and the number of games they have played.

We do have a couple of players who are serial offenders in a couple of areas.

And patience will run out - particulaly with a (fingers crossed) more available list of potential AFL footballers putting un-relenting pressure on.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Geeez I think some of u guys are hard markers...

I wonder if Raph wasn't a high draft pick and brother of X, would our expectations be so high

he's a young, injury prone kid, who is expected to play as a versatile KPP/quarterback midfielder.

he's one of the better defenders in this team who's disposal and execution is off at times.

I don't think that his disposal is hit and miss... IMO he tries to execute passes that are a bit beyond him.

He just needs to be a bit more disciplined and Ross Lyon will instill that in him

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Teflon wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
Teflon wrote:Do not want a bagging thread . . . .
So why start one?

Your bagging of him in other threads not providing you with enough satisfaction?

Raph certainly needs to step up and earn his place in the 22.

I fairness though, the kid has missed a lot of football and has been asked to play some pretty demading roles.
Dont like the thread?

Dont read/dont reply? (note youve had a few cracks at it though... :lol: )

Last I looked baiting was one of the site rules...if you haven't the maturity to discuss areas where our side can improve - including players performances - best stick to BF and virtual Board land... :wink:

ps: pop the kettle on will you luv? (last Board meeting minutes 180208) :lol:
I'm not sure who you're more obsessed with . . . me or Grant Thomas.

Funny you'd mention the word maturity (TBH I'm surprised you can spell it) and then following it up with your moronic 'virtual board' line.
Oh dear...Jeffery...you enter the fray, sprout some usual lame tripemy way in a thread I created and Im stalking you??? :shock:

NEWSFLASH JEFF: All those other people at Coles are buying their own groceries and probably dont even know your there.... :lol: ...its still all about you though...thats what I admire bout you Jeff...no self awareness...and happy to have none. :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Raphs aerial work is outstanding and would rate only behind Max in defensive spoils. He is the perfect foil for Gram as the areas were the Gram lacks he excells meaning that Gram can stay out of marking contests and provide run. Id like to see Sos's game review of Raphs defensive work.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL