Nick Dalsanto

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dalsanto is so inconsistent which makes him so overrated.

Big outside reciever.

Yeah he looks like a Harlem Globetrotter when receives the ball but receive being the operative word.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
suss wrote:I'm slightly perplexed...can anyone tell me exactly when it was that NDS declared to the world he was as good as Ian Stewart? :roll:

He ranked, what was it, third in the Brownlow last year you people have the audicity to call him 'soft' and use terms like 'zero heart'. It's a crock. He's a super player that had a dog of a night, literally. He wasn't alone most of the team had their pants pulled down. He'll be come good. Super stars do that.
Here Here!

"soft", "zero heart" why don't you lot email Dal at the club and tell him yourselves, It is easy enough to say on here, lets see you tell him.
Give me the email address.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

what is the email address

Dal'sGal26
Club Player

Nick Dal Santo is my favourite player and I have to say friday night would be the worst game I have seen him play, everytime i watched him he was just strolling around the ground and was not going in hard at contests... but we all know how good he is and how good he can be. He was not the only player who had a bad night, yet it seems to fall back on him. He will improve next week, he's a bad start to the season that most people have backed him for the brownlow, he's due for an outstanding game and he will perform...

Ever since RL took over he has been playing Dal in defence and that's not where he plays his best football. He should not be taking the kick ins. he should be in the midfield ready to receive the ball so he can kick it to one of our forwards on a lead, that's where he plays his best football as we saw in 04/05.

Put Dal back in the midfield and then he will play his best football, and then he'll show everyone that he actually is an outstanding player...

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
Saint Mik
Club Player

Watch the replay of the Carlton game 2nd qtr, the ball was on the wing and Dal was struggling to get his hands on it because of the form he is in at the moment, along comes Judd on one leg and went in got the hard ball and turned him inside out.

Needs to do more than look good with the ball in his hands, like the rest of our midfeild not enough grunt and scoring power, Monty is the only one that seems to be able to hurt the opposition going forward IMO.

I think they are to worried about going over the top of our forwards to score, to much pressure if they miss mabey but whats the point of having 3 talls if they are unable to get the results for 3 qrts of the game.

Its times like this when you need blokes like Dal,Harvey and Lenny to have a go and hurt the opposition on the score board, Bakes has a go as did Vossy when found going forward.

The thing that really shytes me is that when our tall forwards do go missing they are still looking for them and it cost us. The forward 50 entries were not that different from memory, i think we may of had more.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:The forward 50 entries were not that different from memory, i think we may of had more.
we had two fewer, but theirs were of a far better quality.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Yep, 2 fewer entries and a 75 point turn around says alot about our midfeilds decisions of finding a forward out of touch and being well held and to then have it kicked back over there head on the rebound for another goal to the Doggies instead of trying to score.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Saints43
Club Player

here here again

Dal is a gun, had an awful game as did about 15 others, geez he's human afterall
But when is the last time (and how often has it happened) you walked away from a game thinking "Jeez, Dal tore it apart today".

Can he do it? And if he can..

I believe he is one of the top earners at the club. In a sport with a salary cap it's about playing up to 100% of your cost. Does Dal?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Washedup wrote:He is going to be a wasted talent. Like i mentioned 2 weeks ago, he is a guy with immense skill and ability but unfortunately i dont know if we will ever see him reach his full potential due to an absolutely terrible work ethic.
Everyone who's ever watched Dal knows that he could and should win a Brownlow one day. At his best he can get it inside and out, can't be tackled, finds space where by rights there shouldn't be any and rarely misses a target, long or short. He's beautiful to watch when in form and really can take games apart on his own.

But I can't remember the last time he did this. Anyone?

And yeah, I can't escape the thought that this is because of his poor work ethic. He never looks like he's really going hard. Harvs has told him ad nauseum how to break a tag - just keep running! - but he doesn't seem to have this in him. Why doesn't he kick enough goals? Because he rarely tracks forward far enough to be in good position - all his goals are from about fifty.

Of course he's not on his pat malone in playing below potential on Saturday night, or indeed throughout the last couple of years. But he's playing, I reckon, the furthest below potential of any player at the club, simply because his potential is so sky-high!

And I'm beginning to despair that he'll ever be shaken out of it.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Solution, DROP HIM

Needs a big wake up call. Refuses to do the hard stuff, attack the pill, do the basics right. If I see him go in with one arm to grab the ball and miss the tackle I will scream! Looks lovely when it comes off but the other times it lets him and the team down.

I am sick and tired of certain players getting yelled at or demonised when certain favs get a soft ride. How is it that a Luke ball coming back from a serious surgery can land so many tackles and go forward and kick two goals and dal santo and prance around the wing like a fairy....

Would rather birss, armo or CJ at present. Make him win his way back.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
markp
Saintsational Legend

He does appear to play like someone who wants to preserve his body and ensure a longer career. I can't totally condemn him for that, but I cant stand the way he jogs when he should be sprinting, and hangs back when he should be attacking.

If only he would play like every game may be his last.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

WaggaSaint wrote:I tend to believe that there is a general lack of desire and belief amongst the players. There is very little confidence with the boys, and when there is some the results are devistating (for the opposition) - see Q1 last week.

What I don't understand is how you can have some teams who are full of average players, but play well above their weight division, but we're blessed with ability, but little desire and confidence, and as a result, consistantly play below our weight division. Is this an institutionalised attitude at the club, and if so, why?

NDS has such amazing natural ability, but is the hunger there? It seems that the hunger is missing from several members of the squad.
Good post.....spirit is severely lacking & has done for a long while (since the WC game last year).

Dal is a front runner at the moment & I would hate to see him becoming our version of Brad Green.

Dal had a shocker yes... but he made no effort to help out his teammates with some basic football actions like tackling, shepherding and picking up his friggin man who was running amok. You know, basic stuff that you're taught in under 10's.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:Solution, DROP HIM

Needs a big wake up call. Refuses to do the hard stuff, attack the pill, do the basics right. If I see him go in with one arm to grab the ball and miss the tackle I will scream! Looks lovely when it comes off but the other times it lets him and the team down.

I am sick and tired of certain players getting yelled at or demonised when certain favs get a soft ride. How is it that a Luke ball coming back from a serious surgery can land so many tackles and go forward and kick two goals and dal santo and prance around the wing like a fairy....

So you drop a guy who has clearly been in our best 6-8 players every week because you want to give a guy who hasnt been in the 22 a game. Dont understand that.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

So you drop a guy who has clearly been in our best 6-8 players every week because you want to give a guy who hasnt been in the 22 a game. Dont understand that.
YES! Because he does the flashy stuff people believe he is in the top 6-8 players but he is struggling to make an impact.

Do you believe that what dal bought to the party on friday night was up to scratch. Did he do enough with his talent? Currently we have players banging down the door to play and yet we are so scared to drop a player.

I don't understand why you rate his current form?

FQF
In richo I trust

congorozides
Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Washedup wrote:Dal, Ball and Hayes has 22 clearances against Carlton between them. For some reason, RL insists on giving those three as little time on the ball as possible. I can't understand it. Ablett, Bartel and Corey spend most of the time on the ball for Geelong. Why do we unnecessarily disadvantage ourselves by playing lesser players in the centre all the time?
Very good point, this rotation bullsh#t, is for the teams that don't have an absolute gun midfield set up. We should only use it (rotating lesser mids in) sparingly for centre square clearances, start 'resting' these blokes (Dal, Lenny & Ball) next to the full forward...it's been brought in a talked up by the likes of Malthouse and Wallet...if you want a clearance, get your best in there. You cannot tell me, with the scores level and one minute to go in the GF, a coach will have his 2nd and 3rd stringers in there because it's part of a set rotation. Time to challenge our mids to stand up in the heat for 80% of a game!
I think the difference is that when Geelong rest their mids this is what happens. Ablett goes down forward for 5 minutes, kicks a goal, Chapman or Stokes go to the midfield and dominate.

When one of our players get rested, they go down back and completely shut up shop, in comes Xavier Clarke to the midfield, who has little or no impact.

I'm not sure why, we have at least 4 genuinely good midfielders (Hayes, Dal Santo, Harvey, Montagna & possibly Ball) and then we have at least 4 genuinely good players who can go in and have an impact when they are being rested (Goddard, Gram, Ball, Schneider).

I don't understand why we continually persist with the idea of: "lets give Blake, Fiora and L.Fisher a run in the midfield, while we take Ball and Hayes off and rest Dal Santo in the backline".

A player like Dal Santo should spend 90-95% of the game on the field, sure give him a rest, at half forward.

What annoys me the most is how continuously week in, week out, our midfielder have less disposals then our backmen, Sam Fisher is great, but theirs no reason in the world he should be leading our disposal count .
agree wholeheartedly with this post. its our second tier/relief midfielders who are getting smashed. Blake, Fiora and L.Fisher are very vulnerable in the midfield and usually result in an avalanche of opposition goals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

YES! Because he does the flashy stuff people believe he is in the top 6-8 players but he is struggling to make an impact.

Do you believe that what dal bought to the party on friday night was up to scratch. Did he do enough with his talent? Currently we have players banging down the door to play and yet we are so scared to drop a player.

Well you want Birss who hasnt even been in the best for Casey to replace him. That I dont understand. Dal even though I disagree completely got 3rd best on the ground in the Age for Fridays game.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well you want Birss who hasnt even been in the best for Casey to replace him. That I dont understand. Dal even though I disagree completely got 3rd best on the ground in the Age for Fridays game.
And yet there were many times he was barely jogging, refused to attack the ball and went missing when the game was there to be won. Birss had a very good game against sandy (yes he doesn't do the pretty stuff but he gives it his all and is very smart by hand and foot).

What I find funny is that you don't agree with who they put in the votes friday night yet you use similar "bests" write ups and pick out ONE of the three I put up to replace dal :roll:

VERY VERY weak arguements :wink:

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And yet there were many times he was barely jogging, refused to attack the ball and went missing when the game was there to be won. Birss had a very good game against sandy (yes he doesn't do the pretty stuff but he gives it his all and is very smart by hand and foot).

What I find funny is that you don't agree with who they put in the votes friday night yet you use similar "bests" write ups and pick out ONE of the three I put up to replace dal :roll:

The difference is if you can understand is the clubs put in the best for the VFL where as guys in the bar must do the votes for the Age. Armo was not in the best either because he didnt even play. I will give you CJ as being in the best but even you wouldnt think he would be a good replacement for one of the most skilled players in the AFL.

Do you understand the VFL best players yet. I except your apology in advance.

aussiejones
Club Player

"Last week when O'halpin (sp) took off from full back to CHF Gehrig followed him. We let an Irish bloke who has played footy for 12 weeks dictate terms to a dual Coleman medalist. "

Mmmmmmm

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:NDS is not being played in the right position by Lyon. He should be playing more in front of the centre circle, rather than constantly behind it as at present.
agree. he's our most skilled and creative player and would work wonders on a hff. might even kick a couple if that was his brief.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The difference is if you can understand is the clubs put in the best for the VFL where as guys in the bar must do the votes for the Age. Armo was not in the best either because he didnt even play. I will give you CJ as being in the best but even you wouldnt think he would be a good replacement for one of the most skilled players in the AFL.

Do you understand the VFL best players yet. I except your apology in advance.

I totally understand the VFL bests, for starters it's a unwritten rule of alligned clubs to name 3 AFL listed players and 3 VFL listed players. Eddy and CJ were in the bests. Therefore it would mean that birss could have had a good game but would not be named in the bests. But I bow to you oh holy one!!!

Question for you, since your the oracle of all things football, do you think that dal santo is lacking in intensity needed to compete at the AFL level. Do you think he hits every pack and attacks the ball? Or does he shirk contests and look at getting the easy ball? Does he run flat out or jog to many of the contests?

FQF
In richo I trust

vacuous space
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:he's our most skilled and creative player and would work wonders on a hff. might even kick a couple if that was his brief.
He spent most of the preseason running in from the front of the centre square and was in pretty good form coming into the season. He spent some time up forward in the Sydney game too. After a six clearance game against Carlton, Lyon decided for some reason to play him in defence for most of the game after starting him on the bench. If Dal's as soft, lazy and unaccountable as some of the people in this thread suggest, then what the hell is he doing in defence at all? It's not like we're lacking skills in defence.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think he was poor on Friday expecailly minding Hill who basically helped set up the Victory. But I do think he is trying and I think he puts in every week. It may be his running style that gives the impression he isnt flat out. He should never be given a role where is asked to mind someone. That is not his go but the problem with that is RL demands that we play like that and to me that doesnt suit Dal, Harvs or Joey as they dont have a defensive game.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think he was poor on Friday expecailly minding Hill who basically helped set up the Victory. But I do think he is trying and I think he puts in every week. It may be his running style that gives the impression he isnt flat out. He should never be given a role where is asked to mind someone. That is not his go but the problem with that is RL demands that we play like that and to me that doesnt suit Dal, Harvs or Joey as they dont have a defensive game.
You serious that you believe he was given a role to shut down a FIRST YEAR player (ok he did play one game last year but even he said that was lucky). This is suposedly a front line midfielder?

The problem was not that Hill got alot of the ball, but the fact that dal went in half hearted into wa too many contests. He refuses to cop the tackle, even if it opens up a chance for a team mate. IMO he is at the crossroads and dropping him for a more solid midfielder (CJ, armo and birss all had good NAB cups) could be what both the player and the team needs.

FQF
In richo I trust

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:RL demands that we play like that and to me that doesnt suit Dal, Harvs or Joey as they dont have a defensive game.
let 'em play their natural games, imo. don't try to turn them into something they are not and never will be.

you can't all be dour, defensive types. all of the above are potential match-winners if allowed to play to their strengths. ie, create.