Team vs Tigers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

'intensity' is all important - it's why blake should be in!
I wasn't a fan of blakes (in the mould of troy schwarzer - without the kick), but if he plays with more desire and discipline than better players he should be in -hopefully they'll have a look at themselves and match his willingness.
One exception - Milne should play - he is a goal scorer (at home) and regardless of tackling intensity goals win games, tackles don't - tackles are a means, goals are the end! Speaking of which - Gehrig -our only accurate kick - for godsake man - you wanted to get redrafted -how about showing some desire! Would think a motivated Gehrig could destroy the Richmond defence - but how could you justify playing him? (ruck?)

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:However having said that they are full of pace and run at present ... and too many slow talls in our forward line will most likely give the Tigers a lot of easy rebounds
i think it would be fairly accurate to say that a lot of the easy rebounds out of our backline have been as a result of delivering it to riewoldt when he is double or triple-teamed.

he's a wonderful player on the lead, but with due respect to him i've seen better marks when it comes to the body-on-body stuff.

my thinking is that will not be such a problem if he is playing on the wing for a while.

to me our over-reliance on riewoldt ... and insistence on going to him every time ... has been a bigger problem for longer than gehrig's lack of "forward pressure".

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think the other factor you have look at with Richo...is why was he moved??

He was not playing well.

Description Date Opponent Result K HB D M G B T HO FF FA DT SC
Round 6 27th Apr Hawthorn Loss 94-106 15 12 27 13 4 1 0 0 3 2 130 114
Round 5 20th Apr Western Bulldogs Draw 130-130 12 7 19 9 3 1 0 0 1 1 94 120
Round 4 13th Apr Fremantle Win 137-73 16 9 25 15 4 3 0 2 1 0 141 177
Round 3 6th Apr Collingwood Loss 78-122 11 4 15 9 1 1 1 0 0 4 67 44
Round 2 30th Mar North Melbourne Loss 86-127 7 2 9 4 2 3 0 0 2 1 51 60

Round 1 20th Mar Carlton Win 109-79 13 2 15 11 5 2 1 0 1 3 104 128

Whereas Roo by and large has been playing well...

Round 6 26th Apr Port Adelaide Loss 61-82 7 4 11 4 3 0 1 0 2 1 62 97
Round 5 18th Apr Essendon Win 123-87 13 7 20 11 3 2 0 0 0 0 106 117
Round 4 12th Apr Geelong Loss 94-136 10 7 17 13 3 2 0 0 1 0 104 102
Round 3 4th Apr Western Bulldogs Loss 87-125 6 4 10 6 2 0 2 1 0 2 59 65
Round 2 29th Mar Carlton Win 125-85 9 5 14 10 2 1 0 0 2 0 82 80
Round 1 22nd Mar Sydney Win 51-49 15 4 19 11 2 1 0 0 1 0 100 144

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
starsign
Club Player

but i wouldn't play riewoldt in a defensive role on richo. put blake on richo and let riewoldt dominate the other wing.

that should provide a bit of entertainment for a change, particularly when they meet up at each end in the goalsquares Big Carl!

we could do with a bit of your namesakes endeavour too at the moment.
He played his !st game , BOG R1 v Melb up against an aging Barassi
when as a skinny kid, he would still have been eligable for todays TAC,

He was signed up at the previous years annual end of season U17 Saints Lightening Preniership at the old Junction Oval
The rest of us lucky enough to be asked went on to play in the 3rds or U19s that same year ( Moran for one later went on to be a top senior wingman)

.... makes me wonder a bit about McEvoy
you wouldnt want him cruxified but theres a lot more protective rules for the rucks these days

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

For me, the players to go would be, in order,
1.L. Fisher. Has not played well for weeks.
2.M.Rix. Enough said.
3.M.Maguire. Brought in too early. Needs to find form in reserves like Raph.
4. Ater those three it gets harder. Out of Birss, or Dempster. Would rather Geary be given a go than either.
What worries me is that our selectors may drop Armo before Maguire, simply because he is the youngest.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

ok, tried to keep away from the boards for a few days because I knew it would be all "sack lyon yada yada"

But it comes down to the fact that our defence is holding up very well, in fact that was our best spoiling and presssure effort from the back six this year IMO

The midfield is getting the grunt work down but turnovers are killing us. Most of this is coming about because of our forward line either refusing to lead at them, demanding the ball or getting in each others way. Personally I think without seeing it live on saturday night it's a bit of both.

So the back six stays almost the same.

Max, goose and chips are the three talls. Max will take brown, a slowly improving goose (thought he started to keep close to his opponent later in the game insteed of just playing loose and rebounding) will take a the dangerous polak and chips can take riewoldt (and hurt him on the rebound). Dempster is starting to grow into his role down there and joins fish and gram in the back six for me.

FB: Max Goose dempster
HB: fish Chips gram

It will important to develop a plan to beat the "pull gram or goddard back to FB" game plan opponents are using. Thus if BJ or gram's opponent goes back to the goal square the runner needs to instruct either fish or dempster to change to FB and allow grammy/BJ to be released up the field. Call it the 'G plan'.

The next stop is the midfield. Rix was decient in blunting ports rucks for the most part but they slowly got on top by the end of the third quarter. No such worries here, symonds is in the bottom 8 of the first rucks and thus I would throw the big mac a chance to learn. With collingwood the week after I would give both king and gards another week (plus the bye week) to get 100%. Thus my rucks will be McEnoy first ruck, kosi second. When not rucking they slip forward.

The midfield rotation include all the usuals. Ball was slowly pushing himself into the game which is a great sign. Hayes was alright but did not seem to be getting the clearances of former weeeks, mainly because he roved to ports rucks. Joey and dal need to work harder to hit those packs hard and xavier needs to do what he did in the second more often. Really slips out of games a little too easily but was one of the reasons we got back into the match.

The key to the midfield this week is by finally using roo and BJ in their most damaging positions, as hard running damaging wingers. Rules are they work hard from HF to HB, between the two 50 metre arcs. We can't afford to have on of the best kicks in the team playing at full back or worrying about their opponant. Roo is totally out of form, dropping marks he should be taking and will enjoy going head to head with richo on the wing.

Thus my centreline is

C: Roo Lenny BJ

Then comes the forward line, the bane of our lives at present. I want to see allen get a chance, has really improved his work below the knees and understands where to lead. A two prong forward line of Allen at FF and kosi/mcenvoy opens up alot of space for our medium/small forwards in schneider, milne, birss, xavier. Charlie is dropped because he just gets lost during games and his skills are just not good enough.

HF birss Kosi clarke
FF milne Allen schneider

Birss, clarke and schneider can be used through the midfield with resting mids such as ball and joey being used to keep the ball down there.

R: McEnvoy Ball montagna
I: armo, baker, dal, harvey

In: allen, schneider, mcenvoy

Out: blake, rix, c.gardiner

Focus of the week:

Forwards working as a unit and first option.
Look at the best forward lines and the main reason they are successful is because they work with each other to create options and space to demand the rebounders to kick it to them. By running at a player demanding the ball you take away the thinking, they just deliver it to you.

The rebounding backs and midfielders need to stop trying to pin point passes and over thinking a situation. A one-two handpass can create space but only ever to a player on the move. First option is always the best one because the forward has that second or two headstart, with the knowledge of where the midfielder likes to direct it.

This is a team in transition, I will hold my judgement on the coach for another month or two. But they have alot more talent that is not being used.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Id like to see us play BJ and Dal as forward pockets meaning that Richmond have to play someone strong over head as well as mobile. Look at there two smaller types in McMahon and King they would be slaughtered overhead. Roo in between CHF and FF and Kosi out of the square.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:ok, tried to keep away from the boards for a few days because I knew it would be all "sack lyon yada yada"
After a loss I find I can't face saintsational until the Monday's have well and truly kicked in and it becomes the lesser of evils :)
Most of this is coming about because of our forward line either refusing to lead at them, demanding the ball or getting in each others way.
'Allelujah that is the word! This was perplexing me all weekend. For years now a staple of the Saints game has been Reiwoldt leading out onto the wing and taking a mark. This year, we've added Charlie Gardiner to help balance the load... and the sight has dissapeared.

Bombs are floating in for standing contests involving Stephen Milne almost as often as we're seeing the long leads.

I've got no truck with this Roo to the wing nonsense. Wallace has made it a fad via Richo, but we'll see how long that lasts with one of the best leading contested marks of the last 10 years lunbering about the wing and backline. The Saints don't need to turn an Aircraft Carrier arond like the tiges do, they just need to point it towards good footy rather than the bermuda triangle.

Get Roo back to CHF, stop playing him deep, and leave that to Kosi. Every time Reiwoldt leavs from FF, Kosi and he end up at the same spot. Have 1 guy work on his new position rather than 2. Wherever Reiwoldt leads, Gardiner should charge into the space left behind as someone follows Roo. Then turn and look for Kosi with Milne at his feet. If Milne is standing still don't kick it to him!

IMO, this is not something to be solved at the selection table. Leave the team as is other than the automatic ins (Gardiner, Schneider) unless someone earns a spot in the 2s with good play.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:Id like to see us play BJ and Dal as forward pockets meaning that Richmond have to play someone strong over head as well as mobile. Look at there two smaller types in McMahon and King they would be slaughtered overhead. Roo in between CHF and FF and Kosi out of the square.
Dal has never been especially good overhead... speed and marking ability are what Xavier Clarke brings to the table for that role.

Which makes me think, maybe we should bring in Raph to play on Tambling, and whichever one gets less heckling from their own supporters can be declared the winner for the day...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Solar
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
CURLY wrote:Id like to see us play BJ and Dal as forward pockets meaning that Richmond have to play someone strong over head as well as mobile. Look at there two smaller types in McMahon and King they would be slaughtered overhead. Roo in between CHF and FF and Kosi out of the square.
Dal has never been especially good overhead... speed and marking ability are what Xavier Clarke brings to the table for that role.

Which makes me think, maybe we should bring in Raph to play on Tambling, and whichever one gets less heckling from their own supporters can be declared the winner for the day...
:) see this is the type of post that makes coming on here worth it ;)

I would think that it might be raph by 3 heckles :wink:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think the other factor you have look at with Richo...is why was he moved??

He was not playing well.

Round 6 27th Apr Hawthorn Loss 94-106 15 12 27 13 4 1 0 0 3 2 130 114
Round 5 20th Apr Western Bulldogs Draw 130-130 12 7 19 9 3 1 0 0 1 1 94 120
Round 4 13th Apr Fremantle Win 137-73 16 9 25 15 4 3 0 2 1 0 141 177
Round 3 6th Apr Collingwood Loss 78-122 11 4 15 9 1 1 1 0 0 4 67 44
Round 2 30th Mar North Melbourne Loss 86-127 7 2 9 4 2 3 0 0 2 1 51 60

Round 1 20th Mar Carlton Win 109-79 13 2 15 11 5 2 1 0 1 3 104 128

Whereas Roo by and large has been playing well...

Round 6 26th Apr Port Adelaide Loss 61-82 7 4 11 4 3 0 1 0 2 1 62 97
Round 5 18th Apr Essendon Win 123-87 13 7 20 11 3 2 0 0 0 0 106 117
Round 4 12th Apr Geelong Loss 94-136 10 7 17 13 3 2 0 0 1 0 104 102
Round 3 4th Apr Western Bulldogs Loss 87-125 6 4 10 6 2 0 2 1 0 2 59 65
Round 2 29th Mar Carlton Win 125-85 9 5 14 10 2 1 0 0 2 0 82 80
Round 1 22nd Mar Sydney Win 51-49 15 4 19 11 2 1 0 0 1 0 100 144

riewoldt always plays well. he's one of the best players in the competition.

it is not him that is the worry. it is our over-reliance on him and inability to get it to him when he's one-out.

but if he does play wing gehrig must come in.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 28 Apr 2008 7:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintjake
Club Player

[quote="BakesFan"]

I miss...... B.Voss, A.Hamill, H.Black, J.Peckett, A. Jones, A. Thompson, and even B.Guerra.
quote]

peckett is now the playing coach of my clubs seniors.
love watching him play:)

gehrig should be called back, weaker team, roo on the wing v richo.
try get frase some confidence.

round 22 last year
F.gehrig
5 goals
including the last 2 of the match.
superstar.

Ryanstein
Club Player

Re: Team vs Tigers

One Eyed Saint wrote:B. Geary, Max, S Fisher
HB. BJ, Goose, Gram
C. Joey, Armo, Dal
HF. Schneids, Roo, Charlie G
F. Milne, Kosi, Allen
Ruck. Gardi, Lenny, Bally
IC - McEvoy, X, Banger, Bakes

In - McEvoy, Geary, Schneider, Gardi, Allen
Out - Rix, Birss, Blake, Dempster, L Fisher

With the exception of maybe L Fisher, all of the outs should be out for a LONG while.

The Ins either are good players or by playing them will develop them into good players. We can't keep playing our good kids in the 2's

Other AFL teams play their kids, why don't we?
sounds good but it won't happen

I'll have gehrig in tho

I think we need a target up forward, and there is none better