The Trojan Horse Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:Re: The Scumbag (yes I mean Saintsational's favorite) Robert Walls. It is worth noting that up to a certain point the 3 contenders were Longmire, Bond and McKenna. RL hadn't applied. Walls insisted he do so (admitted it on 'On the Couch') and the rest is history.....I'm just saying. Please don't shoot the messenger (Is that Caro? Oh another one of Saintsationals favorites).
Mischa I've been meaning to ask this for a while and I realize that it is a tad petty, but can you change the spelling on your sig?
Quartermain's name is spelled with a Q and not a K so therefore I think what you are trying to write in your sig is 'Quarters'.

Now, If I could arrange to give you Robert Walls telephone # will you ring him up and call him a 'scumbag' over the telephone.

Better still, will you do it 'face to face' if a meeting were to be arranged?

I'm just curious to know if you have the courage of your convictions or if you are just another internet hero hiding behind an anonymous keyboard.

nicola69
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
mischa wrote:Re: The Scumbag (yes I mean Saintsational's favorite) Robert Walls. It is worth noting that up to a certain point the 3 contenders were Longmire, Bond and McKenna. RL hadn't applied. Walls insisted he do so (admitted it on 'On the Couch') and the rest is history.....I'm just saying. Please don't shoot the messenger (Is that Caro? Oh another one of Saintsationals favorites).
Mischa I've been meaning to ask this for a while and I realize that it is a tad petty, but can you change the spelling on your sig?
Quartermain's name is spelled with a Q and not a K so therefore I think what you are trying to write in your sig is 'Quarters'.

Now, If I could arrange to give you Robert Walls telephone # will you ring him up and call him a 'scumbag' over the telephone.

I'm just curious to know if you have the courage of your convictions or if you are just another internet hero hiding behind an anonymous keyboard.
It's an internet forum, mate. Get with it. Walls is crap as an "expert" on the game and has hung an albatross around our club's neck with RL. And he got paid quids for doing it. We can say this stuff here and we don't have to phone him to tell it to his face. So just bob back down and get back to what ever it is you do for Robert f'n Walls.

we exist on a brane - thank f*** for StK
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

nicola69 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

It's an internet forum, mate. Get with it. Walls is crap as an "expert" on the game and has hung an albatross around our club's neck with RL. And he got paid quids for doing it. We can say this stuff here and we don't have to phone him to tell it to his face. So just bob back down and get back to what ever it is you do for Robert f'n Walls.
Did I miss something. Was Robert Walls the only person who picked the coach. If he was that was a bit silly but from what I have read on here he must have been.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

nicola69 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Thank you for your advice, mate.

I didn't realize that only your opinions (and those who think like you) are welcome on this Board. I apologise to all and sundry for having a contrary view on the subject.

And also, if the highlighted sentence in your post is a not too subtle allegation that I am performing a sexual act on Robert Walls then I have nothing but absolute disdain/contempt for you. That probably will mean nothing to you as you sit there chuckling away in your small minded anonymity.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Trojan Horse Ross Lyon

the shadow wrote:

. This is not a bitter, emotional rant. Check the facts and statistics. We are going backwards fast. And Barney the Dinosaur has no answers, or refuses to act. I hate to say it, but I think the former is the case. .
Well RL's rebuttal...

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon has ferociously rebutted claims his team is a defensively minded bore. He said it was "mischievous" and "garbage" to suggest his team played lock-down football similar to the notoriously defensive game style of the Sydney Swans.

"Anyone who says we are playing lock-down footy is kidding themselves," Lyon said.

"We don't play lock-down footy, we are lucky to target one player a week. That's inaccurate."

Asked who was driving the perception, he said: "I don't know, who's in the media that's perpetuating it?"

Grant Thomas?

"No, I don't think it is. But I think there is a perception we play like the Swans. What a load of garbage. It couldn't be further from the truth. They have 100 stoppages a week and we have 60."

Related LinksAdventurous football: Saints' goals, wins dry up
Ask any (of my) players. I'd think they'd say in the first half of last year, yeah, but since then, no way, impossible."

Thomas, who was sacked by the Saints and replaced by Lyon at the start of last year, yesterday inflamed the Saints debate by asking: "Ross, what is your game style?"

He said the Saints under Lyon were too defensive and content to have a "Mexican stand-off" with inferior opposition.

Body: Lyon said his method was simple: "There are three phases - contest, attack and defence and play them all equally."

Letting his team down, he said, was winning the contested ball.

"There's a common theme. When you can't get on top in the midfield, you don't score that heavily," Lyon said.

"Our issue is we haven't been winning the ball consistently in contested ball. It's been swinging in games.

"Why have the Bulldogs improved? The contested ball and their tackling."

The outside criticism of the ninth-placed Saints (3-3) centres on goals kicked, and Lyon says it is unfair to compare his 2008 team to the one that Thomas coached in 2006.

"There is a perception and romance that St Kilda used to go out and kick 14, 15 and 16 goals every week in 2006.

"Well, let me give you this fact - they kicked 10 goals or less . . . how many times do you think? . . . They kicked 10 goals or less eight times," Lyon said.

"In 2007, we too kicked 10 goals or less eight times, but seven of those were up to Round 11. So I think it is mischievous to start going down that track."

He conceded his first 11 games in charge were "indefensible", but his team had made positive adjustments since.

"In our last 17 games, we have kicked less than 12 goals four times," he said.

"Up to Round 11 last year, we kicked less than 10 goals seven times.

"I said at the time it was indefensible and we weren't happy and then we fixed our ball use and out of the last 11 we kicked 12 goals or more 10 times.

"I've got it here in front of me . . . and we've played six games this year. We kicked 6.15 (against Sydney), 19 against Carlton, 13 against the Western Bulldogs, but it dried up and they smacked us, and then went 13.16 against Geelong and kicked three or four out on the full, and we had 55 inside 50s.

"Then we kicked 18.15 against Essendon and nine on the weekend and we blew the first quarter.

"So in our last 17 games we've kicked more than 12 goals 13 times - is that lock-down footy?"

Lyon also offered statistics that showed his team allowed more uncontested possession than Sydney (182), Western Bulldogs (226) and Richmond (227).

"We are 250 and ranked ninth," he said. "We don't play lock-down footy . . . we rank eighth at 49 inside 50s . . . deal with the facts."

He said Riewoldt's best position was inside 50m.

"He's kicking three goals a week," Lyon said.

The Saints meet Richmond on Saturday night at Telstra Dome, a match Lyon has labelled "massive".

"I was bitterly disappointed we lost last week, the players were bitterly disappointed. But we're three-three and we've got massive upside," he said.

"We haven't wavered in our belief we can match it with anyone, but talk's cheap. We've got to get four quarters together."

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
HarveysDeciple

saintsRrising wrote:
the shadow wrote:

. This is not a bitter, emotional rant. Check the facts and statistics. We are going backwards fast. And Barney the Dinosaur has no answers, or refuses to act. I hate to say it, but I think the former is the case. .
Well RL's rebuttal...

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon has ferociously rebutted claims his team is a defensively minded bore. He said it was "mischievous" and "garbage" to suggest his team played lock-down football similar to the notoriously defensive game style of the Sydney Swans.

"Anyone who says we are playing lock-down footy is kidding themselves," Lyon said.

"We don't play lock-down footy, we are lucky to target one player a week. That's inaccurate."

Asked who was driving the perception, he said: "I don't know, who's in the media that's perpetuating it?"

Grant Thomas?

"No, I don't think it is. But I think there is a perception we play like the Swans. What a load of garbage. It couldn't be further from the truth. They have 100 stoppages a week and we have 60."

Related LinksAdventurous football: Saints' goals, wins dry up
Ask any (of my) players. I'd think they'd say in the first half of last year, yeah, but since then, no way, impossible."

Thomas, who was sacked by the Saints and replaced by Lyon at the start of last year, yesterday inflamed the Saints debate by asking: "Ross, what is your game style?"

He said the Saints under Lyon were too defensive and content to have a "Mexican stand-off" with inferior opposition.

Body: Lyon said his method was simple: "There are three phases - contest, attack and defence and play them all equally."

Letting his team down, he said, was winning the contested ball.

"There's a common theme. When you can't get on top in the midfield, you don't score that heavily," Lyon said.

"Our issue is we haven't been winning the ball consistently in contested ball. It's been swinging in games.

"Why have the Bulldogs improved? The contested ball and their tackling."

The outside criticism of the ninth-placed Saints (3-3) centres on goals kicked, and Lyon says it is unfair to compare his 2008 team to the one that Thomas coached in 2006.

"There is a perception and romance that St Kilda used to go out and kick 14, 15 and 16 goals every week in 2006.

"Well, let me give you this fact - they kicked 10 goals or less . . . how many times do you think? . . . They kicked 10 goals or less eight times," Lyon said.

"In 2007, we too kicked 10 goals or less eight times, but seven of those were up to Round 11. So I think it is mischievous to start going down that track."

He conceded his first 11 games in charge were "indefensible", but his team had made positive adjustments since.

"In our last 17 games, we have kicked less than 12 goals four times," he said.

"Up to Round 11 last year, we kicked less than 10 goals seven times.

"I said at the time it was indefensible and we weren't happy and then we fixed our ball use and out of the last 11 we kicked 12 goals or more 10 times.

"I've got it here in front of me . . . and we've played six games this year. We kicked 6.15 (against Sydney), 19 against Carlton, 13 against the Western Bulldogs, but it dried up and they smacked us, and then went 13.16 against Geelong and kicked three or four out on the full, and we had 55 inside 50s.

"Then we kicked 18.15 against Essendon and nine on the weekend and we blew the first quarter.

"So in our last 17 games we've kicked more than 12 goals 13 times - is that lock-down footy?"

Lyon also offered statistics that showed his team allowed more uncontested possession than Sydney (182), Western Bulldogs (226) and Richmond (227).

"We are 250 and ranked ninth," he said. "We don't play lock-down footy . . . we rank eighth at 49 inside 50s . . . deal with the facts."

He said Riewoldt's best position was inside 50m.

"He's kicking three goals a week," Lyon said.

The Saints meet Richmond on Saturday night at Telstra Dome, a match Lyon has labelled "massive".

"I was bitterly disappointed we lost last week, the players were bitterly disappointed. But we're three-three and we've got massive upside," he said.

"We haven't wavered in our belief we can match it with anyone, but talk's cheap. We've got to get four quarters together."

touche!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Is being ranked 8th and 9th supposed to be a good thing??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Obviously not...did RL say it was? Did he imply it was?

Read all the article and you may just discern that he wants the club to improve it's performance..

"We've got to get four quarters together."

"I was bitterly disappointed we lost last week , the players were bitterly disappointed. But we're three-three and we've got massive upside," he said.

Which would mean improving our rankings would it not???

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Read all the article and you may just discern that he wants the club to improve it's performance..

"I was bitterly disappointed we lost last week , the players were bitterly disappointed. But we're three-three and we've got massive upside," he said.

To me it sounded like Lyon was using the fact that we are 8th and 9th in those stats as a defence.

yipper
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

To me it sounded like Lyon was using the fact that we are 8th and 9th in those stats as a defence.
Well, I interpreted it as meaning that there were 7 or 8 other teams playing more of a defensive lock down style than us!!?? Or less attacking than us in output. In defense to the heavy criticism of our team and his methods.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Yes...it is a 16 team competition is it not....

BUT your question was

rodgerfox wrote:
Is being ranked 8th and 9th supposed to be a good thing?? .
To which I answered.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Yes...it is a 16 team competition is it not....

BUT your question was

rodgerfox wrote:
Is being ranked 8th and 9th supposed to be a good thing?? .
To which I answered.
My question wasn't directed at you. More a general question directed at what Lyon was saying.

the shadow
Club Player

Oh dear Saint Rising! We are going backwards. He can spin it however he likes. 2004 -3rd, 2005-3rd, 2006-8th, 2007-9th, 2008-currently 9th. That would appear to me as though we are steadily climbing down RL's ladder of success. I thought someone of even your limited intelllect could grasp the notion that 9th is worse than 3rd!

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:
. I thought someone of even your limited intelllect could grasp the notion that 9th is worse than 3rd!

Lets see....you cannot argue a point...so go for abuse instead.

Comments like above...and moron ...Barney The Dinosaur...etc....just demonstrate that you have no capacity to debate an issue....
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 29 Apr 2008 10:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

You can make stats say anything you want.

Obviously Ross is feeling the pressure. Why else would he bother to sprout all these meaningless stats?

The only stats that count are W/L and ladder position.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:You can make stats say anything you want.

Obviously Ross is feeling the pressure. Why else would he bother to sprout all these meaningless stats?

The only stats that count are W/L and ladder position.

Indeed....which is no doubt while he is feeling the pressure.

the shadow
Club Player

You just reinforce my point. You are unfamiliar with the concept of the truth and cannot accept when you are wrong, which going by your childish posts, must be often.

I shouldn't tease the intellectually inferior, but you've made such a fool of yourself so often, I couldn't help it. I promise I'll stop embarrassing you now. You must spend a lot of your time tilting at windmills saint rising (Don Quixote) Look it up.

If you come to the Victory Room Saturday night, I'll buy you a beer, or whatever your poison is, just to show you there are no hard feelings on my part. I admire your passion and you obviously love the saints. But I'm genuinely am concerned for your welfare. Anyone who spends this much time across the entire forum and cops the sort of feedback you do, must be post traumatically stressed.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:You just reinforce my point. You are unfamiliar with the concept of the truth .
Interesting...from someone who started the string saying that he was a firstime poster....when actually it was your second...and this was a cut and paste...which I thought would have made it obvious to you that it was not your first time posting.

So your version of the truth is obviously flexible..
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 29 Apr 2008 10:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Saintsrising is a passionate saints man and has some very thorough well thought out views on footy. Cut him some slack. Ill buy you BOTH a beer in the victory room.

Unless we lose, we can then toss for a bullet. :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well 2 offers ofa beer..not bad.

However after having been a SC Member myself for 30 years I am wise enough to know that it operates at our Home Games...........

the shadow
Club Player

You've lost the plot. Check the forum and you'll see I'm a first time poster. What relevance of the cut and paste. It wasn't btw. I'm really fascinated by your behaviour. Keep making it up as you go along

You are seriously deluded and somewhat bizarre. You obviously have no self awareness. I'm fascinated to know how much longer you want to play your silly game? Does having the last word mean you somehow win in your own mind? I hope I've given you some satisfaction by playing along for a while.

Anyhow, the other posters have more than vindicated my stance.
Their posts confirm to me what you are and the sort of contempt your fellow supporters have for you. That's sad. After all, we're all sainters on here and we all want the same thing. A premiership!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:You've lost the plot. Check the forum and you'll see I'm a first time poster. What relevance of the cut and paste. It wasn't btw. I'm really fascinated by your behaviour. Keep making it up as you go along
!
Well the forum would indicate that this string was your second post...at 7.50 odd...your first being at 6. 30 odd..

You can only have one first....and can't be a virgin a second time.

The relevance.....well you stated that I was not familiar with the concept of truth.....
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 29 Apr 2008 11:14pm, edited 2 times in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:You've lost the plot. Check the forum and you'll see I'm a first time poster. What relevance of the cut and paste. It wasn't btw. I'm really fascinated by your behaviour. Keep making it up as you go along

You are seriously deluded and somewhat bizarre. You obviously have no self awareness. I'm fascinated to know how much longer you want to play your silly game? Does having the last word mean you somehow win in your own mind? I hope I've given you some satisfaction by playing along for a while.

Anyhow, the other posters have more than vindicated my stance.
Their posts confirm to me what you are and the sort of contempt your fellow supporters have for you. That's sad. After all, we're all sainters on here and we all want the same thing. A premiership!
Look mate, I agreed with some of the sentiment in your OP and with your right to podst your opinion. But your patronising superior rhetoric about sRr is getting a bit ugly. I'm sure he's a big boy and doesn't need me to back him up, but he's a long time poster with some interesting points of view and a passion for the Saints. Give it up.