Blake dropped at last

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zippy
Club Player

skeptic wrote:IMO Jason Blake doesn't offer enough to be in the team... in the team as a defensive stopper which he is only ok at... slow, doesn't win a lot of ball, poor disposal, not a great spoiler.
Would rather have Raph in the team as a defender, McEvoy in the team as a ruck, and ne1 in the team ahead of him as a forward
Maybe, but he's a better midfielder/ruck than Raph, and a better defender/midfielder than McEvoy. You're picking one player, not three.

Blake's strength is his versatility.

He's got enough fitness to play a defensive midfield role.
He's got enough leap/nous to play as an undersized ruckman.
He's got enough height/strength to play as a key backman.

He's not particularly good at any of those roles, but he can do them all, so he's a great utility/gap-filler, and someone like that makes the coaches life easier in dealing with matchup problems or injuries.

I suspect his problem this week is that Dempster is competing with him for the role of tall utility, and it's hard to carry both of them since neither is dangerous offensively.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Zippy wrote:
[I suspect his problem this week is that Dempster is competing with him for the role of tall utility, and it's hard to carry both of them since neither is dangerous offensively.
Dempster is a better kick..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If we think a bit down the track....Gilbert to me is the guy that will be our utilty player.

He has already shown that he can play down back...and when switched forward he has the knack of kicking goals.

He has the pace and run to also be thrown onto the wing....or even for a short burst in the midfield.

Down back he can play on talls, mediums and smalls.....so is versatile there.

He is young and inexperienced and will get better.

I am not at all phased by him not bea relief ruck as :

*Blake is not really much ofa ruck option
*as a relief extra ruck option we still have Kosi...
*McEvoy will be emerging as an extra ruck choice (even if perhaps not this year)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

By dismissing Blake and Fisher they've made a statement about ball use. This game, in 2008, is even more about good ball use. Blake's float and Fisher's either a metre too high or 3 metres short.

The selections were right.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
MasonCJ2
Club Player

Agree on Blake: a touch of nothingness about him. I'm happy when he plays and there is a specific role - i.e. match up against Goodes etc. Otherwise, you can't carry guys that effectively have no chance of being in the best each week. How many times would he have been in our best five during his career? Maybe twice per year?

Nonetheless, we are debating over our bottom group amongst the top 25. More scrutiny should be about the better and more experienced group that are not playing up to scratch. Most of the players you could name have been hit by injuries in one way or another, so I'm not sure there is a point in naming names. I think most of us know who those guys are.

I think there is a general lack of confidence amongst the group. That shines through with our disposal, which has been pathetic. Some guys are much better than that. Others are simply poor with their disposal. A few wins and I think that could change quite quickly.

Really not sure on the wisdom of playing Gehrig. He might kick 8. That won't change whether he would do the same against the absolute best. Had a debate with a Cats mate after the Geelong game - Scarlett widely considered best on ground - my point being that most of us would have been best on ground that day. I really hope Armi continues to play all year, and would like to see at least one of Geary or Jones play, at least just to invigorate the group. I was pleasantly surprised to see Allen and McEvoy as emergencies and those are good signs.

I'm still holding out for the 'flick of the switch'. Not expecting a Geelong turnaround, but we're heading for 9th or 10th if we keep this form up. There is a real capacity to improve and push for top 4. Let's hope that switch is flicked in the next fortnight.

We are a sniff
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Very average player with the footy, his disposal and awareness limits him as a player but he is very courageous..... a good clubman and very important to the list......he is adaptable and durable.....not in a top teams best 25, but a very handy back up....

Should be in the side ahead of Goose ATM....

similar skill level, similar athletic ability.....both clumsy, both tough.....in form Goose is superior, but is horribly out of form...

jay young
Club Player

Jason Blake tries harder than most but the whole side is flat at the moment. brendon g was very skeezed out againts port the other nite he did some silly things . max h has nitemares from 04 pre lim against tredrea max was very loose on warren that nite but those idiot dunderheaded scumbags who ran out on the oval when gehrig got his 100 in the 04 prelim cost us the flag that year . i think max should think back to that game . i think thats why he had a go at ballcock maguire , play loose on tredrea and hell cut you up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jay young wrote:Jason Blake tries harder than most but the whole side is flat at the moment. brendon g was very skeezed out againts port the other nite he did some silly things . max h has nitemares from 04 pre lim against tredrea max was very loose on warren that nite but those idiot dunderheaded scumbags who ran out on the oval when gehrig got his 100 in the 04 prelim cost us the flag that year . i think max should think back to that game . i think thats why he had a go at ballcock maguire , play loose on tredrea and hell cut you up.
Try English.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
jay young wrote:Jason Blake tries harder than most but the whole side is flat at the moment. brendon g was very skeezed out againts port the other nite he did some silly things . max h has nitemares from 04 pre lim against tredrea max was very loose on warren that nite but those idiot dunderheaded scumbags who ran out on the oval when gehrig got his 100 in the 04 prelim cost us the flag that year . i think max should think back to that game . i think thats why he had a go at ballcock maguire , play loose on tredrea and hell cut you up.
Try English.
+1 :?

supersaints
Club Player

Give Blake some credit, anyone who can play over 100 AFL games can't be a dud... He is probably the most versatile player in the AFL I've seen him play against Aaron Sandilands and Aaron Davey. How many players do you think could do that? that's why he keeps his place in the side. He has a big hart and tries hard. I admit is disposal was particularly poor the last two weeks and he probably deserves to be dropped for that , but not because he is a "Dud " as some of you suggest. Even if Blake plays for the Scorps for a while he will play again sooner rather than later. He is a great player to have on the bench as he is capable of covering EVERY player who come off for a rest.. No one else at St Kilda (or possibly the AFL) is capable of doing that.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

NeXus James wrote:Blake is a good hard and honest worker. It wouldn't surprise me if he is a late inclusion so he can tag Richo.
he isnt a emergencie so he wont be a late inclusion,

its a heavy fine if u bring in a player that isnt emergencie

and werent u banned?