the tackle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Herald Sun wrote:Luke McGuane also escaped sanction for his tackle on Saint Nick Riewoldt. The tackle was deemed to be a single motion with McGuane holding Riewoldt at all times through the tackle. McGuane did not pick up the St Kilda player and dump him in two separate actions.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
Herald Sun wrote:Luke McGuane also escaped sanction for his tackle on Saint Nick Riewoldt. The tackle was deemed to be a single motion with McGuane holding Riewoldt at all times through the tackle. McGuane did not pick up the St Kilda player and dump him in two separate actions.
fair from the vision I saw, free kick at the worst

Made roo earn it and we can't take that type of tackle out of the game.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I repeat, it was an act calculated to injure - which it did.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Was anyone on here calling for Hamill to be suspended after he slammed Thursfield to the ground in a tackle, which snapped his collarbone?

I hate to agree with plugger, but this is just unecessary whinging. It's a free kick and nothing more.
Last edited by mad saint guy on Mon 05 May 2008 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Was anyone on hear calling for Hamill to be suspended after he slammed Thursfield to the ground in a tackle, which snapped his collarbone?

I hate to agree with plugger, but this is just unecessary whinging. It's a free kick and nothing more.
Thanks for compliment or was it dig at me. Actually it was a dig at me.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Was anyone on hear calling for Hamill to be suspended after he slammed Thursfield to the ground in a tackle, which snapped his collarbone?

Thanks for compliment or was it dig at me. Actually it was a dig at me.
But it was deserved, so well done Plugger.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I'll agree with P66 too - I am filthy on the injury but if we could do that still to an oppo player, I'd be more than happy.

I did think it may have copped a reprimand originally but I have now seen it again and don't think so.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly on 'On teh Couch' they weren't sure about it.
What they were sure was that the AFL needs to act, sooner than later, to stamp the practice of 'slamming' tackled/pinned players into teh ground.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Was anyone on here calling for Hamill to be suspended after he slammed Thursfield to the ground in a tackle, which snapped his collarbone?

Exactly msg. Good old fashioned whinging at its finest. No, no-one was calling for Hamill to be suspended. In fact he was being lauded. Umpy called it a free kick, nothing more in it.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:Interestingly on 'On teh Couch' they weren't sure about it.
What they were sure was that the AFL needs to act, sooner than later, to stamp the practice of 'slamming' tackled/pinned players into teh ground.
that is one of things I was trying to get at in my original post.

if you saw the 5 or 6 tackles that they showed on "on the couch" it makes you shudder and yes hamills is in there

a player will have his neck broken in one of these one day, as robert walls said it about the duty of care

fqf

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Interestingly on 'On teh Couch' they weren't sure about it.
that is one of things I was trying to get at in my original post.

if you saw the 5 or 6 tackles that they showed on "on the couch" it makes you shudder and yes hamills is in there

a player will have his neck broken in one of these one day, as robert walls said it about the duty of care

fqf
And on Footy Confidential, Gary Lyon highlighted the incident saying that McGuane should have been 'cited'. Archer disagreed with him. Hutchythe Tosser was non-commital and Caro seemed to change her mind to agreeing with Lyon after he explained his case.

saintm
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Was anyone on here calling for Hamill to be suspended after he slammed Thursfield to the ground in a tackle, which snapped his collarbone?

Exactly msg. Good old fashioned whinging at its finest. No, no-one was calling for Hamill to be suspended. In fact he was being lauded. Umpy called it a free kick, nothing more in it.
Player involved in the Hamill tackle was Jay Schulz and from memory, can't find anything to confirm this on the net, Richmond wrote a letter to the Club thanking Aaron and one other player for their sportsmanship in alerting them to the fact that Schulz was hurt!!

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

Our Tackling

We were credited with 57 tackles against Richmonds 42 yet it is the one on Roo that we are all talking about - why dont our tackles stick and hurt the opposition (in the form of free kicks) - you can take a person down from the side wrapping both arms up and complete the tackle, they then have to dispose of the ball making them change their minds mid stream - the only example I can recall is Rapher being tackled and coughing it up!!

Why dont we do this - poor decision making comes from pressure - pressure results from us being one step behind the opposition breathing down their necks!

Next game would you rather be playing on our hardest tackler - or McGuane - I sure as hell would not pick McGuane - and if I was playing on him I would want to get rid of the ball really quickly (and maybe not as efficiently as I might).

Our tackling - grabbing the back of their jumper as the run by - is not damaging enough - give us some anger - give us some passion!!!!

GIVE US THE BELIEF THAT IT IS OUR BALL AND NO-ONE ELSE DESERVES IT

This is what creates pressure - the fear for your health that the next tackle will hurt (either physically or on the scoreboard)!!!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Player involved in the Hamill tackle was Jay Schulz and from memory, can't find anything to confirm this on the net, Richmond wrote a letter to the Club thanking Aaron and one other player for their sportsmanship in alerting them to the fact that Schulz was hurt!!
I thought it was Thursfield?

yipper
SS Life Member

Re: Our Tackling

[quote="Sainter_Boy"]Our tackling - grabbing the back of their jumper as the run by - is not damaging enough - give us some anger - give us some passion!!!!

Reckon both Lenny and Bally tackle pretty well. Wouldn't want to be caught by either of those 2.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintm
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
saintm wrote:
st.byron wrote:

I thought it was Thursfield?

This is the best I can find from the net. Thursfield was involved in an incident in the same game with Lenny Hayes, if I am thinking of the same game as everyone else. Game is mentioned at the bottom of article in the link provided below.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:Rx ... d=31&gl=au

Sorry for the link only but we have a new program on our computer and it is just not as easy to cut & paste anymore!!

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

Re: Our Tackling

[quote="yipper]Reckon both Lenny and Bally tackle pretty well. Wouldn't want to be caught by either of those 2.[/quote]

I agree - but I still reckon we need to make opposition look over their shoulders in panic, worried about being tackled.

I am not suggesting that we go out to maim other players - but make them think it is possible!

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Was anyone complaining when Burkie and Cookie crunched Corey McKernan and did his shoulder in the '97 Preliminary Final?

If Roo hadn't been injured this thread wouldn't exist.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

BakesFan wrote:

Was anyone complaining when Burkie and Cookie crunched Corey McKernan and did his shoulder in the '97 Preliminary Final?

If Roo hadn't been injured this thread wouldn't exist.
sorry that's a ridiculous comment

obviously it wouldn't exist and roo was injured

the 97 tackle was nothing like this

and the hamill one was not acceptable either

there is nothing tough and intimidating about pinning a blokes arms and driving him into the ground

starsign
Club Player

The vigorous Hawks takling was a subjest for discussion during their televised game last week , when someone commented that they were really good at hurting "players" Then a bit of reference to the interchange bench and the fact that it was an element now creeping in, wherby a team can be stuffed if they loose a couple particularly early. They left it up in the air as to wether this was a good or bad thing for the game though!!
I suppose it was always there with the 19th& 20th but the modern running game is really based now on the ability to make many quick interchanges
I always recon the our heavy reliance on Roo and predictability of play made him an ovbious target , eg Brisbanes Efforts, Tunnelling Etc, and didn't he get a shoulder injury from a similar incident?
Be interesting with Buddys shoulder now ,to see if he cops some treatment, though with there great 3 pronged forward set-up the Hawks are a different proposition than us at present

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:It's not the tackle- it's the 'slinging' of the unprotected player into the ground that has raised the eyebrows of so many on here and apparently Michael Voss.

But St Dac, you obviously think that is just footy?
Fine, you can 'move on '

Others don't so why shoukd they have to?

Aren't they entitled to voice their opinion just like Michael Voss, Plugger and you?
Sorry, I've been away for a few days and have just read this.

Yes, you're as entitled to your opinion as I am. And yes, I think that was just footy. The consequences were unfortunate, but the intent was not malicious, and the act of the tackle without the ball only draws a free kick under the rules of the game, which was paid by the umpires.

Tackles to players without the pill happen many times a match. Sometimes injuries occur from them; that's footy. More to the point, if Roo had possession of the footy, and the same tackle and result occurred, would there be any outcry over it?

Myself, I doubt it.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Seeing it again now I am even more affirmed that it was within the free kick ruling but not a report.

To me he started the tackle when Nick had the ball and was probably blindsided at the time he committed to dumping him.

Would be a proud Tiger supporter to see it actually, if we hurt an oppo player like that.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Before my last comment gets jumped on, I don't mean to "injure" like Roo has copped, but rather to "hurt" a player in that sort of tackle and incapacitate for a period, making his team-mates think "these blokes are serious".

:roll: