WHo has to go?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:I can't believe anyone would list luke ball as someone we should get rid off.

in a team that seems to be filled with soft front running types, why get rid of possibly the best tackler in the competition?

should actually make him the midfield coach, he certainly knows more about hardness at the ball than anyone else at the club with the exception of burke, harvey and hayes.

looking at our coaching staff, ball is already harder at the ball than rock and lyon ever were, and his skills are superior to both of them.

lyon was a rubbish player rubbish sides and rock basically kicked it in the direction of carey and looked forward to the party after the game.
110% behind you Dan.

Toughest, gutsiest player in the comp is our Bally.

Always at the bottom of the pack, always (and always has) putting his head over the ball whether it's gonna get kicked off or not.

Miles ahead of the coaching staff you have mentioned.

Nathan Burke's courage and passion written all over him, has our No. 14.

happy feet
Club Player

Dogging it

Here's a different theory....no I know I will probably get shot for this, but here goes......

Has anyone ever had the thought that some of our players are dogging it because they actually want out. How best to get traded - stuff up so badly the club moves you on.

Comments please faithfull supporters

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dogging it

happy feet wrote:Here's a different theory....no I know I will probably get shot for this, but here goes......

Has anyone ever had the thought that some of our players are dogging it because they actually want out. How best to get traded - stuff up so badly the club moves you on.

How best to drop your salary. Another poor excuse. We are trying as hard as we can but through many reasons we are just not good enough over 4 quarters.

happy feet
Club Player

Plugger 66

I don't live in Melbourne. The last live game I watched was early on when we beat Carlton albeit unconvincingly.

I will get my chance this weekend coming as a guest of a good mate who is a Swans member. I will be flying the flag in the middle of the Swans Members stand, so I will see for myself how crap we are.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: Plugger 66

happy feet wrote:I don't live in Melbourne. The last live game I watched was early on when we beat Carlton albeit unconvincingly.

I will get my chance this weekend coming as a guest of a good mate who is a Swans member. I will be flying the flag in the middle of the Swans Members stand, so I will see for myself how crap we are.
i was behind the goals for the lions game

it gets ugly

the forward line looks a mess...

yesterday it was the same with all of milne, roo and kosi all in the same contest...all trying to mark it...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
happy feet wrote:Here's a different theory....no I know I will probably get shot for this, but here goes......

How best to drop your salary. Another poor excuse. We are trying as hard as we can but through many reasons we are just not good enough over 4 quarters.

Granted we have many defficiencies,but honestly you can't believe that the team tried hard yesterday. The effort was non exsistant virtually. Not convinced by the dogs,they should of beaten that performance yesterday by 80 plus,it was a disgrace

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Need to go asap, and never to play again....
Fiora
Rix
Ferg
Blake
C. Gardiner
L. Fisher (was a fan but has hit a wall bigtime)

All these guys have had their opportunies, have failed time and again (Fiore, Rix) or are simply past it (Blake, Fisher)..

Thin ice:
Howard
R & X Clarke
King
Gwilt

2 or 3 of these guys will have to go.. Will probably keep king, so i would persist with the Clarkes and ditch Howard and Gwilt...

As for the rookies, none of them really show that much, but are worth persisting with as thats how the system works.. No standout elevations... Geary seems to be struggling to make the step...

Core going forward:
Hayes
Ball
Dal
Roo
S. Fisher
BJ
Joey
Kosi (yes, Kosi)
M. Gardiner
Armi

These players, for mine, are the core that we build the team around... They are all talented players who have heart and are younge (aside from Gards, still a few years left)...

Notice Kosi is in there (see 6 weeks ago as Dal Santo)... Whilst struggling, his plight is being highly overrated by most supporters.. He is contesting and working hard... The idea of trading him is futile, the draft is pretty much a lottery (be lucky to get picks that produce a player of his level), and the schinder's etc on the trade table are pretty much useless in saints colours..

Hopeflly Max continues his form and goes on (also Harvey) and Bigmac and Allen develop into players them seem to be... I'd play both of them this week and give them multiple looks for the rest of the year...

Quite simple really...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Granted we have many defficiencies,but honestly you can't believe that the team tried hard yesterday. The effort was non exsistant virtually. Not convinced by the dogs,they should of beaten that performance yesterday by 80 plus,it was a disgrace
I will never accept a player doesnt try. They might not be 100% switched on but they always try and no one will ever change my opinion of that. Yesterday for example did we decide to only try in the first quarter and then we thought lets not try know as we are in front. I wouldnt think so.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
jonesy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I will never accept a player doesnt try. They might not be 100% switched on but they always try and no one will ever change my opinion of that. Yesterday for example did we decide to only try in the first quarter and then we thought lets not try know as we are in front. I wouldnt think so.
You wouldn't think so,but gee,it's how it appeared. When the chips are down and we arn't having it all our way,they appear to pull the pin with there intent,mentally soft,play like spoilt brats at times.

There are degree's of trying,we demand 100%,yesterday they tried about 5%

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
jonesy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think we might have different definitions of trying.
If you are cruising through the game, putting in 100% at times, and not chasing, manning up or shepherding at other times, then for mine they are not trying.
This is what I see.
Trying is 100% at all times, not picking and choosing.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

There's 'trying' and then there's 'TRYING!'

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think the club needs to introduce a Hawthorn/Carlton-style youth policy.

No recruits over 23, and any player on the list who is over 25 and not in the best 22 is delisted/traded. No point in us hanging onto GOPs who aren't going to improve, because unless we do improve drastically then we're in for a very rough few years.

Basic theory - If you've proven that you're not good enough to contribute in a premiership side and aren't improving - get out!

Best 22

S.Fisher (keep)
Hudghton (keep if possible)
Gilbert (keep)
Gram (keep)
Maguire (keep if full recovery is possible)
Goddard (keep)
Montagna (keep)
Hayes (keep)
Harvey (retire)
X.Clarke (keep)
Riewoldt (keep)
Schneider (keep)
Birss (keep)
Koschitzke (keep)
Milne (keep)
M.Gardiner (keep)
Ball (keep)
Dal Santo (keep)

McEvoy (keep)
L.Fisher (trade if possible, or retain)
Gehrig (retire)
Baker (trade if possible)
R.Clarke (trade if possible or retain)
Fiora (delist)
Armitage (keep)
Ferguson (one more game up forward, if he doesn't deliver - delist)
Dempster (delist)
Blake (trade if possible, retain as backup if no better option available)
C.Gardiner (delist)
Rix (delist)Howard (keep)
Gwilt (delist)
Steven (keep)
Allen (keep)
Connors (keep)
Jones (yes, still not a believer - delist)
Geary (keep)

McQualter (delist)
van Rheenen (delist)
Eddy (elevate)
Chivers (delist)
Attard (delist)
Miles (keep/elevate if he shows form on return)
Haretuku (delist)

That makes approximately 8 departures from the senior list with 1 or 2 rookies earning a spot. Leaving room for 5-6 draft picks and another in the PSD. Also room for a full new slate of rookies.

Wouldn't mind a new coach either.

congorozides
Club Player

True Blue Sainter wrote:

I'm too frustrated to type more. Rant over.
Great Rant. My thoughts exactly. you are astute observer son!

If we can get 2 top 10s for Riewoldt from the GC we should take it.

m_m
Club Player

ralphysaints35 wrote:Wouldnt drop Fergo he is good, just give the kid a chance ffs
2 games, 0 goals 4 pts... i think his time is up

didnt he have like 2 touches last match?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Agree with Mad Saint Guy, except with the retirement of Harvs and GTrain, and possibly Max, we should only be looking to de-;ist 4 or 5 at the most. Mine would be:-
L.Fisher. Too Slow.
Fiora. Appears to have lsot interest.
C.Gardiner. Not good enough for Geelong or us.
Rix. Not good enough.
Howard. No sign of progress after two years.
Gwilt. Would be next cab off the rank.
McQualter also in danger if he does not perform at the Senior level, but must be given the opportunity.
Delist half the rookies. Van Rheenen, Chivers, and Attard. Possibly McQualter (See above). Promote Eddie and Miles.
DOnt do any trading except for draft picks.
I hope Harvs does go on though.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
Wouldnt drop Fergo he is good, just give the kid a chance ffs

Three. Took mark at end of first quarter, siren went before he had his kick.

Silvio_Foschini
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:Need to go asap, and never to play again....
Fiora
Rix
Ferg
Blake
C. Gardiner
L. Fisher (was a fan but has hit a wall bigtime)

All these guys have had their opportunies, have failed time and again (Fiore, Rix) or are simply past it (Blake, Fisher)..

Thin ice:
Howard
R & X Clarke
King
Gwilt

Hopeflly Max continues his form and goes on (also Harvey) ...
Add Ferguson to that list IMO
Isnt it saying something about our recruiting dept that most of the above listed players were recruited in the last couple of years.. Also, if we;re going to move forward as a club, we have to start looking beyond Max and Harves for the answers...

m_m
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:ralphysaints35 wrote:
Wouldnt drop Fergo he is good, just give the kid a chance ffs

Three. Took mark at end of first quarter, siren went before he had his kick.
oh, keep him then

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

can't turn over the entire list in 1 season...

personally, I'd get rid of:

Harvey, Gehrig -Both retired

Rix, Fiora, Howard, and Gwilt - Delisted with no takers

For depth reasons delist one of:
Ferguson/C.Gardiner - I'd rather keep Matty
Dempster/Blake - Would rather keep Sean

Would desperately try to trade Mat Maguire, Xavier Clarke and one of L.Fisher/Baker... would take anything i could get for him

that's 8 players gone... possibly 11 with replacements depending on what we get during trade week/the draft

Eddy will definetly come onto the list
Miles I predict will do enough
Attard will be promoted and I think McQualter will too

4-5 players to be drafted onto the list

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote- i made changes

Leigh Fisher: Not good enough to be consistent first 22 material - True but could be developed enough to be a fair backup - used to be.

Nick Riewoldt: clearly one of our most talented and hard-working players. I think he needs to be stripped of the captaincy. - agree, coaching change has hurt him - needs to rediscover enthusiasm & confidence

Adam Schneider: Front-runner of the highest order... - average player in good team (swans) - currently a below average player in an average team - whoever drafted him (interested in how much he's being paid) must either not have seen much of him or else simply cannot accurately evaluate players!

Raph Clarke: See if anyone wants him - st. marys? gone!

Aaron Fiora: inconsistent... - soft - what idiot would bring him in against a hard team like the lions?

Justin Koschitzke: We have seen glimpses of his talent for far too long. - needs to be shifted around - badly needs confidence - needs help!

Sean Dempster: Handy back-up player IMO- yes he was handy...in one game - another very poor draft from someone who should know this player

Jason Blake: To say he's gotten the most out of his ability is an understatement. Keep as a spare tall backman. - deserves to be kept -inspiration to wanna be's and wake up to better players- give your all and you can make it!

Charlie Gardiner: I think Charlie is a capable footballer - at VFL level

Michael Rix: Honest toiler - but not as honest (or good) as blake -one will do!

James Gwilt: where can we find a spot for him? - next to raph on the trade list?

Stephen Milne: Far too inconsistent. - but can win matches - keep for home games on 1/2 pay!

Barker - why why why? - get hamill & gehrig to share the job!
SOS - no idea - no real complaints bar rebounding - missing cattle
Lyon - can we trade him -perhaps we'd get a second round pick?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Red
Club Player

Ball may be 1 of the best we have but in a top team he would rank

somewhere between 7 & 12 on their list. Trade him while he has some value.

If you have the ball Dan you don't need to tackle.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Jones (yes, still not a believer - delist)
Really? I shouldn't be surprised, but most around here are CJ converts as of late.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Howard. No sign of progress after two years
I take it you haven't been closely following the casey games lately? Howard is actually playing quite well. Still lacks vision and ability to read the play, but skills and speed are sound (something we are sorely lacking right now). Still, by reports at the match (wasn't mentioned on the 3SER radio call), Howard (180cm, 71kg+) had 3 goals kicked on him in a quarter by Ryan Gamble (184cm, 78kg) last week. Not a key defender or able to play on a medium forward, but who would be stupid enough to think he could, at under 6' tall. He's been touted as the running half back role, but he makes Jason Gram look like a better defender on most half forwards. A true wingman, I believe.

As for Schneider, he's been carrying and recovering from injuries, which isn't much excuse, but kicking 5 goals in a game has to be worthy of some merit. Even if, like Milne, he only pops up for 1 great game out of 3, with the two of them there, it will happen more often, and 3-5 goals out of a small forward is a good rate.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Mad Saint Guy wrote:McQualter (delist)
van Rheenen (delist)
Eddy (elevate)
Chivers (delist)
Attard (delist)
Miles (keep/elevate if he shows form on return)
Haretuku (delist)
Not sure of your opinion of delisting Haretuku and Chivers after half a season on the list. Haretuku in particular is extremely raw and has produced good results in the Casey Reserves.

Attard will depend on how he recovers. McQualter will have one last chance but if he shows nothing he will face the immediate chop. Van Rheenen's a tough one - he's either got to be elevated or delisted. If we delisted him but decided there was nothing better with our last rookie selection could we re-list him? He was picked for the future and he's shown signs however I don't see enough of Casey games for me to make an evaluation on his future.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:Van Rheenen's a tough one - he's either got to be elevated or delisted. If we delisted him but decided there was nothing better with our last rookie selection could we re-list him? He was picked for the future and he's shown signs however I don't see enough of Casey games for me to make an evaluation on his future.
Not mobile enough, but will make a good tap ruckman. With Lyon at the helm, you can bet he'll be elevated or redrafted. Hard to assess with a season ending injury.