Our history of trading stars

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Not incorrect, straight from the horses mouth.
Well he lied then because if the Saints did that it would have been a massive issue us delisting one of our best young players after receiving an injury. No matter how bad the injury was we were never going to just delist him. It just isnt true.
It was a massive issue and i remeber it all in the media at the time just like Saint Bev said.
That is rubbish. There was no issue at all about us not offering any contract at all. The issue was that the hawks offerred a longer term contract with a better wage. Find me any article at the time that says the Saints didnt offer Smith a contract and were delisting him. There will not be one. He was taken in the pre season draft because he couldnt agree to terms with the Saints.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I had lunch with him the day after it happened, he was devestated, so a very good actor. No reason to lie. Hawthorn wasn't even on the sceen then.

I don't pretend to know what happened with his contract. But it doesn't make sense that St Kilda would offer him a new contract with an injury like that, So maybe he wasn't delisted, just out of contract.
Meh...and I heard Russell Greene say he left the Saints...but apparently doesn't mean it's true. Perhaps we should modify our references to 'joined Hawthorn' and fast forward through the rest of it?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Not incorrect, straight from the horses mouth.
Well he lied then because if the Saints did that it would have been a massive issue us delisting one of our best young players after receiving an injury. No matter how bad the injury was we were never going to just delist him. It just isnt true.
It was a massive issue and i remeber it all in the media at the time just like Saint Bev said.
That is rubbish. There was no issue at all about us not offering any contract at all. The issue was that the hawks offerred a longer term contract with a better wage. Find me any article at the time that says the Saints didnt offer Smith a contract and were delisting him. There will not be one. He was taken in the pre season draft because he couldnt agree to terms with the Saints.
Believe what you want, I am not going to keep argueing. But not everything you read in the paper is true.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I had lunch with him the day after it happened, he was devestated, so a very good actor. No reason to lie. Hawthorn wasn't even on the sceen then.

I don't pretend to know what happened with his contract. But it doesn't make sense that St Kilda would offer him a new contract with an injury like that, So maybe he wasn't delisted, just out of contract.
So he hadnt been offered a new contact the day after he did it. It was about round 17. Why would they offer him a contract the day after he did his knee.

And what do you mean it doesnt make sense we would offer him a contract with his injury. We gave Attard another year after a knee injury and he is only a rookie.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Yes from what i remember he was out of contract because they were trying to sew up all other contracts that were out as well incl i think Aussie Jones and Tony Brown who he lived with at the time and basically left him out and not delisted.

thehandbrake
Club Player

I think a point overlooked, by Steph especially, is that neither Plugger or Barry Hall would have ever produced the football they did after the trade had they stayed at St Kilda. I think Hall has even been on record this year stating that if he had stayed at St Kilda, he wouldn't be playing AFL football right now.

The Plugger and Hall trades should be held up as a prime example of what can and should be done to improve the Saints. The Plugger trade enabled the great draft of players such as Aussie Jones, Tony Brown, Matty Lappin etc that enabled the 1997 season and the relatively successful 1998 season. The Hall trade enabled the drafting of Nick Dal Santo and the trade of Heath Black which, combined with other factors such as drafting Luke Ball and X, enabled the great period of 2004-2006.

I know people are going to be unhappy if we trade Kosi. We all love him and wish he could stay with the Saints and produce his best football. There's also no doubt about how much he loves the club, which makes it a different case to Plugger and Hall. But if this current core group is to have any chance of succeeding through a "second window" of opportunity, something drastic needs to occur.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I see this argument time and time again...but this time, I think you're over-looking a point...if he's no good, we won't get anything for him anyway! If he is good, why would you trade him?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our history of trading stars

degruch wrote:[

Dunno the history of Stewart leaving the club.

Greene left.

your joking aren't you...both were traded against their wishes...at a time such trades were rare indeed...greene trained at the saints on the thursday night and was told to clean out his locker and report to poo oval.....

...we have lost big time on all our top trades......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:[quote="Solar
The kid broke his leg in 1997 and the hawks gave him a longer contract so he left. There was a chance he might never had go back, he did and the rest is history.
He actually did his knee quite badly and was out for well over 12 months
after having a knee reconstruction.I dont think StKilda were prepared to offer him a reasonable contract due to the severity of his injury so Hawthorn did.they had to wait 12 months for him to come good anyway..[/quote]

that prick ossie osborn dived on his leg.....of course they offered him a contract.......some opf you make it up as you go along ffs...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Greene left.

your joking aren't you...both were traded against their wishes...at a time such trades were rare indeed...greene trained at the saints on the thursday night and was told to clean out his locker and report to poo oval.....

Erm...not sure you swiped the right quote there.

As I've said before, dunno nothin' about Stewart. Didn't know anything about Greene until I saw an interview with him on TV claiming he was offered a great deal when approached by surprise by the Hawks. Then a trade was done that week. He was pretty flippant about it, and may have just been talking it up for the cameras, as most here seem to think he was traded against his wishes (various versions of events).

So...nah mate...I'm not joking. Got anything else for me?

Shaggy
Club Player

Jezza for Woofa Perovic. :shock: :evil:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

thehandbrake wrote:
The Plugger and Hall trades should be held up as a prime example of what can and should be done to improve the Saints. The Plugger trade enabled the great draft of players such as Aussie Jones, Tony Brown, Matty Lappin etc that enabled the 1997 season and the relatively successful 1998 season. The Hall trade enabled the drafting of Nick Dal Santo and the trade of Heath Black which, combined with other factors such as drafting Luke Ball and X, enabled the great period of 2004-2006.

that's the sort of crap that is peddled as truth around here......we basically got nothing for plugger...sure we got smith....for three years ...but bugger all else..........jones , brown and lappin...were NOT...i repeat......NOT.......part of the plugger trade..

how many times ...ffs...does that have to be posted here before know nothing know all clowns take any notice......
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

but then again...if you were a real saints supporter and not just a flowering troll...you would know that already.....
Last edited by stinger on Fri 13 Jun 2008 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:

Greene left.

As I've said before, dunno nothin' about Stewart. Didn't know anything about Greene until I saw an interview with him on TV claiming he was offered a great deal when approached by surprise by the Hawks. Then a trade was done that week. He was pretty flippant about it, and may have just been talking it up for the cameras, as most here seem to think he was traded against his wishes (various versions of events).

you are wrong...and you are right......sure they offered him a deal.AFTER HE LANDED ON THEIR DOORSTOP......but players were not traded mid season then...and could not be approached....he was told to pack his bags....in return we got two hacks...king and scott........both very ordinary footballers.....

he was actually named in the saints team that weekend......when the tweam ran out there were two strangers in saints colours......

i remermber it as if it was yesterday......

as you would if ball suddenly turned out for carlton ...and two very average scummers ran out in saints colours this weekend....

i got the right quote alright...and the bulk of your post was crap anyway......smith was not delisted ffs..... :roll: :roll:

the club wanted to get rid of stewart for reasons i will not go into......barrot played two games for the saints ffs...we could have got barrott and kept stewart.....

...and for the record...at the time of the swap the saints secretary was a regular house guest of my parents when visiting launceston ......i clearly remember the event.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Jezza for Woofa Perovic. :shock: :evil:

DIDN'T HAPPEN....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
degruch wrote:
Sobraz wrote:On a side note, Russell Green was traded, and did not 'leave'.. He turned up to training and was told, Rus, tonight your training with Hawthorn...
Greene claimed he was offered a great deal by the Hawks and fronted up for them week after he left the Saints. Well, at least that's what he said in an interview a few years back.
crap!! greene was picked in the saints side before traded and was phoned on Friday and told he's playing tomorrow with hawthorn

both ballbanger and sobraz are correct........degrunch is talking out of the wrong orifice......

To the top
SS Life Member

In regards Locket, Hall, Everitt, Lappin and Smith, I disagree.

Lockett was not able to be controlled, had successive Administrations "over a barrel" in regards keeping him at St Kilda with the result the player was bigger than the Club. Plus he was only playing half of seasons because he had no self-discipline.

Hall is currently in the papers saying he should be remembered as a footballer, not a "Thug". Sorry Barry, you are past 30 years of age, at the end of your career and now you tell us to remember you as a footballer and not a "Thug". What does that say about the mental capacity and the mental state of the individual, who also was not able to be controlled at St Kilda because of a lack of self discipline.

Everitt, read as for Hall in regards what is between the ears. Again undisciplined and unable to be controlled.

Lappin, in his final season at St Kilda could not command a regular game, and when he did play gave the appearance he had been in a front bar for a couple of hours before the game.

You do not build football sides with players such as these on your list, so trading them was the correct thing to do.

I do not think we have any such players on our list at present, players who are seriously flawed in their approach to the game and the Club and where other clubs thing they may do better with them.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Actually we didn't treat Joel Smith in the least bit poorly. He was offered a 2 year deal worth about $100k a year. Hawthorn just had Dunstall and a few others retire and had a bit of cash to throw around. They offered Joel $300 grand guaranteed, he'd just had a baby & like any 19 year old with a car crash like knee injury would do, he left.

As said, Plugger left (he wanted Richmond or Collingwood but the Tigers wanted to give us crap players, we wanted Richo, they declined and the Pies knocked back recruiting him at board level). We didn't do particularly well out of the deal considering the Swans had early draft picks that year (they had picks 2 & 3- A.Rocca & S.Grant). I think we got Chris Hemley and Steve Sziller directly plus some bloke from Hawthorn)

Barry left for $$$ & a change. We benefitted by getting Dal.

Spider was a great trade...until we traded one of the picks for Brooks.

Lappin was a puzzling trade. We got Begley in return.

Ricey was a mistake.

Greene, Stewart, etc were before my time.
two duds from the hawks................................................joshua kitchen and glen nugent....plus robbie neill from the swans.....clever weren't we.....not......

sziller wasn't part of the trade

same year we also picked up a couple more duds for gilbert mcadam.............tim elliott and dean matthews......

...ffs.......as i have said time and time again....we was robbed......

stinger
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:In regards Locket, Hall, Everitt, Lappin and Smith, I disagree.

Lockett was not able to be controlled, had successive Administrations "over a barrel" in regards keeping him at St Kilda with the result the player was bigger than the Club. Plus he was only playing half of seasons because he had no self-discipline.

Hall is currently in the papers saying he should be remembered as a footballer, not a "Thug". Sorry Barry, you are past 30 years of age, at the end of your career and now you tell us to remember you as a footballer and not a "Thug". What does that say about the mental capacity and the mental state of the individual, who also was not able to be controlled at St Kilda because of a lack of self discipline.

Everitt, read as for Hall in regards what is between the ears. Again undisciplined and unable to be controlled.

Lappin, in his final season at St Kilda could not command a regular game, and when he did play gave the appearance he had been in a front bar for a couple of hours before the game.

You do not build football sides with players such as these on your list, so trading them was the correct thing to do.

I do not think we have any such players on our list at present, players who are seriously flawed in their approach to the game and the Club and where other clubs thing they may do better with them.

lappin was a talent...but a bad influence on the other young players.....read,..... aussie, brown and maxie.......someone had to go......early in the piece he was also a bad influence on side-show fev and a few other young scummer turks,,,they straighted matty out but who knows how good the fev would have been without matty's "influence"......

longtimesaint
Club Player

The idea of trading any of our good players such as Kosi for a draft pick that is a lottery at best is stupid.(remember Beetham and R.Clarke (both no 8) and Fiora (no, 3)
All we need is to recruit a couple of quick midfielders in the Aaron Davey mold -both he and his brother were rookies!
With careful drafting using our draft picks we should be able to inject an influx of pace in the midfield to get the ball into the forward line quicker.

One year will be our year
To the top
SS Life Member

Don't ever forget the financial circumstances of St Kilda - when, to pay their Trade Creditors and players in part, they had to trade off their "Form 4's" to the likes of Carlton to get money to put into the bank.

And got some reject players as part of the deal.

There was "wheeling and dealing" exclusively because St Kilda had no money to pay its bills with.

The very fact that St Kilda has survived at all is down to a couple of people - with support from their Boards obviously.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:The idea of trading any of our good players such as Kosi for a draft pick that is a lottery at best is stupid.(remember Beetham and R.Clarke (both no 8) and Fiora (no, 3)
All we need is to recruit a couple of quick midfielders in the Aaron Davey mold -both he and his brother were rookies!
With careful drafting using our draft picks we should be able to inject an influx of pace in the midfield to get the ball into the forward line quicker.
good thinking 99... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:

Greene left.

you are wrong...and you are right......sure they offered him a deal.AFTER HE LANDED ON THEIR DOORSTOP......but players were not traded mid season then...and could not be approached....he was told to pack his bags....in return we got two hacks...king and scott........both very ordinary footballers.....

he was actually named in the saints team that weekend......when the tweam ran out there were two strangers in saints colours......

as you would if ball suddenly turned out for carlton ...and two very average scummers ran out in saints colours this weekend....

i got the right quote alright...and the bulk of your post was crap anyway......smith was not delisted ffs..... :roll: :roll:

the club wanted to get rid of stewart for reasons i will not go into......barrot played two games for the saints ffs...we could have got barrott and kept stewart.....

...and for the record...at the time of the swap the saints secretary was a regular house guest of my parents when visiting launceston ......i clearly remember the event.....
Sorry mate...you're full of s***. I heard it from the man himself, and your source is?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
BallBanger wrote:
degruch wrote:
Sobraz wrote:On a side note, Russell Green was traded, and did not 'leave'.. He turned up to training and was told, Rus, tonight your training with Hawthorn...
Greene claimed he was offered a great deal by the Hawks and fronted up for them week after he left the Saints. Well, at least that's what he said in an interview a few years back.
crap!! greene was picked in the saints side before traded and was phoned on Friday and told he's playing tomorrow with hawthorn

both ballbanger and sobraz are correct........degrunch is talking out of the wrong orifice......
You too Stinger.

suss
Club Player

degruch wrote:Sobraz wrote:
On a side note, Russell Green was traded, and did not 'leave'.. He turned up to training and was told, Rus, tonight your training with Hawthorn...

He was sacked. I met him at a party and he said so. He's a great bloke too. Bummer.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:

Greene left.

Sorry mate...you're full of s***. I heard it from the man himself, and your source is?

my memory......i know who is full of s***....you are mate.....you know nothing about the history of our club....sure, what greene said as probably correct...but so is what the rest of us are saying....the club did a deal with the dawks to trade him for two clowns.....then the dawks had to convince greene to turn out with them...what;s so difficult for you to understand.....?????