time for draft talk

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

hey oracle,

what did you think of josh duncan for NSW today? Is he going to be a good pick up for us in the NSW scholarship rookie in 2009?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
casey scorp
Club Player

Saw the metro v NSW game at Casey Fields on Saturday. Hurley was the one that impressed me - had more presence on the ground than others.

But, as others have said, he won't slip down to our level of pick.

The Oracale
Club Player

casey scorp wrote:Saw the metro v NSW game at Casey Fields on Saturday. Hurley was the one that impressed me - had more presence on the ground than others.

But, as others have said, he won't slip down to our level of pick.
Have to agree,

Hurley is super impressive - yesterday wasn't his greatest game but boy you can see you're going to get a player out of him.

Good size - 193 cm and still growing, knows how to use his body in a contest (however, he's since only played againt boys at 18's level) - he's not at all flashy player - won't provide you the same bursting run from defence as some other defenders at AFL level. But will remain stationary and do his job.

The most impressive assett to Hurley's game IMHO, aside from his great defensive skills and competitive nature is that you can sense his on field leadership. He's a fantastic tactician at only 17/18 - there were numerous times last season when he played in the dominant Northern Knights side (which featured: Kreuzer, Cotchin, Veszpremi, Grimes, Zaharakis etc) where he would simply command the structure of the side from FB. Shouting orders and employing players to come across and help 'chop out' any dominant opponents.

I made mention about his competitive nature - he truley is a kid who hates losing and detests having his colours lowered to an opponent. So much so that after Northern Knights were knocked out of the TAC last season - he almost broke down in the lockeroom after Shaun McKernan had the better of him for most of the day.

Sadly, as mentioned in an earlier post - he won't slip past pick #5 (and thats at the very latest).

The Oracale
Club Player

Solar wrote:hey oracle,

what did you think of josh duncan for NSW today? Is he going to be a good pick up for us in the NSW scholarship rookie in 2009?
Solar,

Hard to say with Josh, my personal opinion of him differs obviously from others who are in the recruiting game (particuarly at St. Kilda!) and I must admit I did miss most of the NSW games, but from what I've seen at Pennant Hills - he's a good player without being great (if that makes sense?), for me he sits in the same boat as the Carlton NSW Scholarship player Josh Fenarolli.

There are games where he has the ball on a string - and he does all the right things, however there others (such as at Casey) where he at times gets ahead of himself and attempts these ridicoulos snaps in the hope that it may come off. I didnt catch his game yesterday - but I think I'd wait to see how his 2009 pans out before making a call as to whether he'd be a good pick up or not under the NSW Scholarship Scheme.

Hope that passes as an answer to your question ... Sorry to sit on the fence :?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

more on the draft...

"Draft to feature tall and versatile youngsters

Emma Quayle | July 10, 2008

AS VIC Metro beat Western Australia in the final of this year's under-18 competition, the theme of the upcoming draft pool took further shape: expect the top part of the draft to be largely about tall players who can play in a long list of spots.

With No. 1 prospect Nick Naitanui up front, Adelaide recruiting manager Matt Rendell expects this draft to prove the best ever for talls, while Collingwood's Derek Hine said their versatility was what made the group unique.

Metro ruckman Tyrone Vickery, back from a knee reconstruction, was almost best on ground for Metro in its 29-point win, taking several strong marks deep in the forward line, while the skinner Shaun McKernan also roamed the ground well and got into goal-scoring spots as a forward.

The injured Ayce Cordy, another ruck prospect, would be a top five or 10 pick if the Western Bulldogs didn't have first call on him as a father-son selection, while ruckman/defender Jackson Trengove also shaped as a top 10 prospect before suffering a season-ending knee/hamstring injury that clubs will need to get a line on.

Jordan Roughead, the cousin of Hawthorn forward Jarryd, was a smooth mover for Vic Country in its big win over Tasmania in the middle game, while the South Australian side that thrashed NSW featured a couple of developing ruck prospects who may push through later in the draft, with Jarred Redden in particular playing well.

Jack Watts leads the key position prospects likely to be snapped up swiftly, with Metro full-back Michael Hurley still ranked highly by some clubs and South Australian forward Lewis Johnston continuing to push his first-round claims after barely dropping a mark, contested or otherwise, yesterday. Tasmanian Aaron Cornelius may also come into first-round calculations.

Naitanui's WA teammate Dan Rich is at the top of the midfield list, with the hard-at-it Jack Ziebell impressive again for Vic Country yesterday and his teammate Steele Sidebottom playing another composed game. Hamish Hartlett was classy again for South Australia, while Sam Blease took off on some eye-catching runs for Metro.

Rendell expected any club looking for a tall player to have a shot at a good one in the first round.

"It's the best tall draft we've seen and probably ever will see. There's probably four of the best ruckmen I've seen going around and in any other year they'd be going number one," he said.

"Those guys speak for themselves: Naitanui, Vickery and McKernan, and we've forgotten about Cordy because he hasn't played all year. You throw in Roughead and a couple of the South Australians who are coming from a fair way back, plus Trengove, and you've got six or seven good players.

"And it's not only that, there's a fantastic group of key position players as well. I just think when all is said and done it's the best draft ever for all players and to have the standard we've got in the one year is amazing."

Hine, who believes Watts also has midfield potential, said the adaptability of the group also made it a special one. "You look at someone like Tyrone Vickery, he's one of those talls who's a multi-position player," he said.

Metro's win was its sixth in eight seasons, and gave coach David Dickson, who has resigned after 12 years shepherding dozens of AFL players through their under-18 carnival, a perfect farewell.

Vic Country beat Tasmania by 98 points, with John Butcher scoring five goals, while South Australian Luke Tapscott kicked four in his side's 80-point win over NSW/ACT.

Hurley (Vic Metro), Rhys O'Keeffe (South Australia), Clancee Pearce (WA), Andrew Hooper (Vic Country), Mitch Robinson (Tas) and Kade Klemke (NSW/ACT) were voted their teams' most valuable players for the series.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

who is the sidebottom mentioned...anybody know.....?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

article from the australian...

"
Nicholas Naitanui shows clubs he's a true thoroughbred

Courtney Walsh | July 10, 2008

THE boom youngster made his entrance to the ring to wide applause mid-afternoon yesterday, his dark mane an immediate eye-catcher on a brisk but bright Melbourne day.

Older men aiming to pick the prize colt from the also-rans noted his leggy height, nodded in approval at his anxiousness to enter the fray.

Most importantly, they studied his formation and contemplated whether he had the potential to develop into a contender capable of dominating the classics, of performing on the big days that draw capacity crowds, of coping with more seasoned opposition.

Naitanui. The name carries the ring of a sprinting sensation. The word out of Western Australia about his prowess has never been a whisper but a roar.

But before anyone reaches for the black book, Naitanui is not a neddy but a ruckman whose first name is Nicholas. That has not stopped sportingbet.com from listing him as an even-money favourite to be taken No1 in November's AFL draft.

Naitanui's stage yesterday was the the national under-18 grand final at the Telstra Dome, the AFL's version of the William Inglis & Son yearling sale. The Big One those wise men are hoping he will one day dominate falls on the last Saturday of September.

The 18-year-old, whose senior West Australian club Swan Districts has placed a media ban on him this year, was one of 132 hopefuls to take to the Dome in three matches as the two-month national carnival culminated yesterday.

Naitanui, who was born in Sydney to parents of Fijian heritage, is not yet eligible to play AFL football but is well-known in the football-mad southern states given the likelihood he will be taken at the pointy end of the draft.

His profile has soared since a starring effort in the third game of last year's championships and he spoke this week of the pressures he is already facing.

"Walking through the streets in Melbourne, everyone notices who you are, so you have got to make sure you are doing the right thing," Naitanui said.

Watching closely among the 4000-odd people in attendance were recruiting officials from across the country hoping to nab the next Chris Judd. Or, given Naitanui's preferred position and home state, the next Dean Cox.

Coach-in-waiting Nathan Buckley was an interested onlooker. Former North Melbourne star Corey McKernan watched younger brother Shaun kick two goals for Vic Metro while going head-to-head with Naitanui.

While not dominant yesterday, Naitanui showed in glimpses yesterday he has attributes to match the boom. He thumped 22 hitouts, laid five tackles and kicked a goal on the run, a reason West Coast is said to be keen for his services.

"It would be good to stay home," Naitanui said. "I will probably get homesick if I go somewhere else.

"But, then again, I don't mind where I go because to get the opportunity to play at an AFL club is my main dream."

Then again, the Eagles may opt for fellow Sandgroper Daniel Rich, whose brilliant use of the ball while gathering 23 touches through the midfield yesterday matched the attention drawn by his shock of bleached-blond hair.

His movement and precision kicking was reminiscent of rising Docker Rhys Palmer, who has starred in his debut year after an outstanding effort at last year's carnival.

Another West Australian, Chris Yarran, was also prominent, while Neville Jetta, a cousin of young Essendon player Leroy Jetta, also showed promise.

But it was the Vics, courtesy of brilliant efforts from David Zaharakis and Mitchell Banner, who are the national champions after leading for most of the game to post a 14.9 (93) to 9.10 (64) win. Jack Watts showed the hands that will see him rival the West Australian duo for the recognition that goes with being the nation's No1 draftee, while Sam Blease also attracted attention with two brilliant goals.

Those efforts reminded former Kangaroo Jason McCartney, who is now involved with developing elite junior talent, of Collingwood star Dale Thomas.

"Just his ability to break the lines is outstanding," McCartney said.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Stinger...

Emma quale is alwaus wortha read.

She doesa lot of research and watchesa lot of games that the kids play...

stinger wrote:who is the sidebottom mentioned...anybody know.....?
He is not son of Garry or Alan....
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 10 Jul 2008 12:04pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

The Oracale wrote:
Solar wrote:hey oracle,

Solar,

Hard to say with Josh, my personal opinion of him differs obviously from others who are in the recruiting game (particuarly at St. Kilda!) and I must admit I did miss most of the NSW games, but from what I've seen at Pennant Hills - he's a good player without being great (if that makes sense?), for me he sits in the same boat as the Carlton NSW Scholarship player Josh Fenarolli.

There are games where he has the ball on a string - and he does all the right things, however there others (such as at Casey) where he at times gets ahead of himself and attempts these ridicoulos snaps in the hope that it may come off. I didnt catch his game yesterday - but I think I'd wait to see how his 2009 pans out before making a call as to whether he'd be a good pick up or not under the NSW Scholarship Scheme.

Hope that passes as an answer to your question ... Sorry to sit on the fence :?
no worries, thankfully we have another year to watch his progress

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
, with Metro full-back Michael Hurley still ranked highly by some clubs .
Early days yet...but what I have read he may bea handy pick up with our first pick given our lack of key defenders.,

He is meant to quite quick off the mark, is attacking with good judgement and run..ie Scarlett like in style...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Thanks Stinger...

Emma quale is alwaus wortha read.

She doesa lot of research and watchesa lot of games that the kids play...

stinger wrote:who is the sidebottom mentioned...anybody know.....?
He is not son of Garry or Alan....

thanks for that...

The Oracale
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
stinger wrote:
, with Metro full-back Michael Hurley still ranked highly by some clubs .
Early days yet...but what I have read he may bea handy pick up with our first pick given our lack of key defenders.,

He is meant to quite quick off the mark, is attacking with good judgement and run..ie Scarlett like in style...
Personaly, I don't find Hurley to be attacking at all.

Would be steal of the decade if you were able to select him after Pick #5 or so.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

from the hun...

" THE raw talent of this year's draft is "in the ballpark" of the 1997 and 2001 drafts, AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said yesterday.

The 1997 draft produced dual Brownlow medallist Adam Goodes, Trent Croad, Luke Power and Shane O'Bree, while awesome foursome Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Chris Judd and Jimmy Bartel were products of the 2001 super draft.

Sheehan said the talent on offer yesterday at the NAB under-18 championships was exciting, but it was hard to pick the order of who would go in the top 20.

"Right at the minute we're really excited about the first 25 and the depth of the draft overall," Sheehan said.

"It will take a fair bit of sorting, even if you just put all the ruckmen or tall forwards into a group to separate all of (them).

"I'd say you'd have a debate about at least 25 as to whether they'd be in the first 12 for some people or whether they're out to 25 with others. It'll just be personal opinion."
Related Links
Sheehan said he was particularly impressed with ruckman/forward Tyrone Vickery's game, which included 13 disposals, 12 hitouts, five marks and three goals, in Vic Metro's 29-point championship win against Western Australia.

"You hear a lot about the (Nicholas) Naitanuis and the (Jack) Watts, but he's a 200cm guy that can mark the ball inside 50, can play in the ruck, he's agile around the ground," Sheehan said.

Wingman David Zaharakis (18 possessions, two goals), midfielder/half-forward Luke Shuey (21 possessions) and forward Jack Watts (two goals), who won the Larke Medal for best performance throughout the Division 1 championships, were also impressive.

Potential No. 1 draft pick Naitanui rucked well with 22 hitouts and kicked a goal, while teammates Clancee Pearce and Daniel Rich were outstanding.

Metro midfielder Mitchell Banner said his game-high 28 possessions was his best performance of the carnival.

"I think I ran hard and ran well," the 18-year-old said.

"All I wanted to work on this year was to make (Vic Metro). Funnily enough, I made it, and to win it is just even better."

Underage Gippsland Power forward John Butcher booted five goals in Vic Country's 98-point win against Tasmania.

Teammates Nick Suban (18 disposals), Steele Sidebottom (17 possessions) and Nic Heyne (16 touches and 10 inside-50s) were also impressive.

Tasmanian midfielder Mitch Robinson lived up to his reputation as Hunter Harrison medallist as the best Division 2 player with 24 disposals and eight inside-50s, while forward Aaron Cornelius was solid with four goals and five marks.

Hamish Hartlett , brother of Carlton's Adam, starred with 24 touches, while forward Lewis Johnston kicked four goals in South Australia's 80-point victory against NSW/ACT.

Josh Duncan , Daniel Spiteri and Kade Klemke were good for the Rams, who were without captain and midfielder Ranga Ediriwickrama because of a hamstring injury he sustained in last month's win against Tasmania.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

...and more...

" IT WAS more football factory than Willy Wonka production line, but Barry Prendergast was like the kid with the golden ticket.

Prendergast looked on from the stands at Telstra Dome yesterday knowing there was a chance he could get the pick of the chocolates.

There is still a chance Melbourne could haul itself off the bottom of the ladder, but the bookies favour Prendergast to land pick No. 1 in his first year as recruiting manager.

If he doesn't get first crack, he's certain to have a selection inside the top three.

With a priority pick at the end of the first round also looming large, Prendergast has an enormous opportunity to shape the rebuilding of Melbourne.

Prendergast led a posse of a dozen Demons recruiting staff watching the final day of the national under-18 titles.

"It's a massive decision for the Melbourne footy club because it's an early pick opportunity you hope doesn't come around too often," he said.

"This year's a great opportunity to get it right and build your footy club again."

With the Gold Coast team on the horizon and compromised drafts arriving from next year, Prendergast said established clubs would have to wait another "three or four years" for another significant rebuilding opportunity.

Prendergast has known for some time he would probably have a pick at what he calls the "pointy end" of the draft.

At the start of the season his focus was on Western Australia, with standouts Nick Naitanui, Daniel Rich and Chris Yarran.

"Early doors it looked like the top three were coming out of WA. You make sure you get over there to see all those guys playing senior footy in the WAFL," he said.

Now there is a top-three player - and possible No. 1 contender - closer to home.

"As the season unfolds and blokes like Jack Watts start to bob up, you've got to cover all your bases," Prendergast said.

You could picture Watts, a key-position forward from Brighton Grammar, making an impact in a Melbourne forward line crying out for long-replacements for the David Neitz and Russell Robertson.

"Watts was well known about prior to the season starting - he'd been in the AIS squad," Prendergast said.

"But we hadn't seen him at the high-end level. He was playing footy for Brighton Grammar and he only played his first game of TAC under-18 footy two weeks ago at Sandringham.

"He's a really dominating player. His talent is quite obvious."

It is widely believed the top three is now Naitanui, Rich and Watts. What makes it difficult for the likes of Prendergast to make a choice is they are all such different types of players.

"You've got a ruckman, you've got a midfielder and you've got a power forward," he said.

Every year there is a hyped player. The past two have been Bryce Gibbs and Matthew Kreuzer. For a long time the 2008 player has been Naitanui.

Prendergast said he would block out all the hype when making a decision.

"You've just got to make what you think is the right decision. You can't worry about media or public perception," he said.

And there will be no thoughts of recruiting on a position-needs basis in the first two rounds.

"You just take the best player," he said.

Coach Dean Bailey will question Prendergast throughout the process, but the decision will be his.

"I think the recruiting staff make the decisions. They're the ones that have been out and seen it," Prendergast said.

" 'Bails' will be questioning me and that's good. If you can't present the case to the coach why you're picking a player in a manner that's convincing to him, then maybe you need to have another think about it.

"Recruiting is a massive decision for the footy club, so you've got to engage your coaches because they're the ones that have got to develop them in the end.

"You're never going to be able to bring a player in with the full package. All the players in the top end have some chinks in their armour.

"You don't want a bloke walking through the door and the coaches going 'what have we got here . . . we can't fix that kicking action'."

But with the likelihood of a priority pick after the third round, making it three choices inside the top 20, it is highly unlikely Bailey and his staff will be faced with those concerns when Prendergast's picks lob for their first day of training.
PRENDERGAST ON …

1. Nick Naitanui
“He’s in the top three. There’s no question about that. He’s got some chinks in his armour in terms of understanding the game and learning about the game, but the feedback is he’s very coachable and he’s learning. He’s not going to walk straight in and go ‘Bang, here I am, I am an AFL footballer’, but his amazing athleticism is not something we’ve seen on a footy field a lot.â€

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

I watched the first two game's yesterday but missed the last between Vic Metro & WA.

Players from SA that caught my eye were:
Rhys O'Keefe- Half back flanker with a great left foot kick. Plays a lot like Jason Gram.
Christopher Hall- A Wing/HF type player with great speed and takes the game on.
Jarred Redden- A 202cm Ruckman who is aggressive and reminds me a lot of Ben Hudson with his second efforts at ground level.

Players from Vic Metro that caught my eye were:
Steele Sidebottom- Has great skills on both sides of his body and will definitely be a player of the future.
Sam Hughes- Only 66kg but he plays on a Wing and gets to the right spots around the ground. Kicked 3 goals.
John Butcher- Is a 197cm Tall Forward and is agile for his size. Is to young to be drafted this year but will be one to watch next year. He was unstoppable up forward and always fought hard for front position. Kicked 5 goals.
Jaime Sheahan- A tough in and under Midfielder who knows how to kick a goal.

Players from Tasmania that caught my eye were:
Bart McCulloch- A 200cm athletic Ruckman who reminds me a little of Dean Cox with his mobility around the ground.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Not having a clue where we are going to finish this year, (will have a better idea after tomorrow night), I wonder who else the Saints have their eye on other than Ziebell & Swift (info courtesy of The Oracle)?

saintboy
Club Player

Hopefully we get someone with a bit of leg speed. we are in desperate need of some, BIG TIME!!!!

OH WHEN THE SAINTS!!!!!
The Oracale
Club Player

Could be some BIG NEWS on the way about 2 highly rated kids from this years crop - that could change the make up of the Top #10 this year. :!:

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

The Oracale wrote:Could be some BIG NEWS on the way about 2 highly rated kids from this years crop - that could change the make up of the Top #10 this year. :!:

Like?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Oracale wrote:Could be some BIG NEWS on the way about 2 highly rated kids from this years crop - that could change the make up of the Top #10 this year. :!:
I know one kid probably will not put himself in the draft this year because he is doing year 12 next year.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I know one kid probably will not put himself in the draft this year because he is doing year 12 next year.
That's Jack Watts. Who's the other? And, what's it all about? !!

The Oracale
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
If Jack Watts does decide to hold off on the draft this year - he may as well start pack his bags for the Gold Coast.

Without going into any detail - one of the 'more highly rated' players from this years crop is in a bit of trouble with John Law.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The Oracale wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
If Jack Watts does decide to hold off on the draft this year - he may as well start pack his bags for the Gold Coast.

Without going into any detail - one of the 'more highly rated' players from this years crop is in a bit of trouble with John Law.
Could this be one of the guys from the wild, wild west? I would be very appreciative of a PM on this issue !!

Ilzy#8
Club Player

CC me on that one

#13 BALLBANDWAGON Member

" You don't lose a game, you just run out of time to score "
adobe
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:go for
fevola, who is out of contract and went for us when he was younger, if he wanted to sign then he would have with carlton already,

and pick up alex silvagni in the draft!
Alex silvagni has been in the system for a few years. He is not an AFL footballer.. We would be crazy to draft him IMO...

Good VFL player, but so is Podsiadly... Big difference...
Silvagni is only 20 has been in the draft 2 years has developed a lot in the last year in his skills and getting better. Podsialy is 26 years and played with Essendon