full forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gosaints
Club Player

Hurricane wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
fingers wrote:How would #27 go?
we could do worse i guess. he's made a fair fist of just about every other position on the ground, including ruck.

tough, physical and strong overhead.

kicking for goal would be my main concern.

we need to redress the balance of having five talls in the backline and only one and a half (and sometimes none) in the forward line.
Ive thaught for a while JB should at least get a try out up foward, in the same boat as Gwilt but obviously bigger and possible stronger and with more experiance aswell

BANG BANG
Look I love JB, but as far as him being played as a permanent forward goes he has the same problem as Gwilt, Kosi and a few others. He just isn't smart enough footy wise.
Blake's biggest asset is his motor. To be a good forward you need to have great footy smarts and he just doesn't have them, Kosi doesn't have them, Gwilt doesn't have them.

People love to bag Fevola, Lloyd and a few others because they come across as dumb as all s*** on tv but they know how to play footy and they have the natural instincts that are needed to make it as a key forward. Blake, Kosi and Gwilt just don't.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gosaints wrote:
Hurricane wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
fingers wrote:How would #27 go?
we could do worse i guess. he's made a fair fist of just about every other position on the ground, including ruck.

tough, physical and strong overhead.

kicking for goal would be my main concern.

we need to redress the balance of having five talls in the backline and only one and a half (and sometimes none) in the forward line.
Ive thaught for a while JB should at least get a try out up foward, in the same boat as Gwilt but obviously bigger and possible stronger and with more experiance aswell

BANG BANG
Look I love JB, but as far as him being played as a permanent forward goes he has the same problem as Gwilt, Kosi and a few others. He just isn't smart enough footy wise.
Blake's biggest asset is his motor. To be a good forward you need to have great footy smarts and he just doesn't have them, Kosi doesn't have them, Gwilt doesn't have them.

People love to bag Fevola, Lloyd and a few others because they come across as dumb as all s*** on tv but they know how to play footy and they have the natural instincts that are needed to make it as a key forward. Blake, Kosi and Gwilt just don't.
BJ? he has footy smarts.

people will say he's too valuable in defence or on the ball but, really, what could be more valuable than getting a winning score on the board.

gosaints
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
BJ? he has footy smarts.

people will say he's too valuable in defence or on the ball but, really, what could be more valuable than getting a winning score on the board.
Yeah mate I think I wrote earlier that in my opinion we need to get Goddard into the forward group. Not as the full forward but into that forward group because he definately has the skill set, he has the smarts and he is one of a few in our team that is prepared to really bust a gut for the benefit of the team. Our forward group with the exception of Roo just doesn't work hard enough. BJ seems to have all the qualities that made James Hird such a great player but we need to move him forward to get maximum reward from his ability.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:IMO gwilt also doesnt have any of the attributes to be FF. Firstly and a pretty good reson he just isnt good enough. Second he marking on a lead is no where near the standard of a average FF and would be way to slow off the mark. Good kick yes but he wouldnt get it enough touse his kicking. As I said many times why do we want to play players that arent good enough in one position in another.

One of the hardest posiion on the ground and hasnt even played there in junior footy. What hope in the AFL.
so who then, plugger?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:IMO gwilt also doesnt have any of the attributes to be FF. Firstly and a pretty good reson he just isnt good enough. Second he marking on a lead is no where near the standard of a average FF and would be way to slow off the mark. Good kick yes but he wouldnt get it enough touse his kicking. As I said many times why do we want to play players that arent good enough in one position in another.

One of the hardest posiion on the ground and hasnt even played there in junior footy. What hope in the AFL.
so who then, plugger?
Still not sure probably to late this year so they have to continue with Rooy and Kosi and hope Allen comes on next year. Dont think we have anyone who can take a mark on a lead in our side apart from Rooy. Bj may be worth a try but I think we would lose more than we gain with him. Ferg has all the atributes to be good but injuries have killed him.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

What about Goose?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Goose has the goal smarts of a west indian subterranean sludge frog.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Ferg has all the atributes to be good but injuries have killed him.
has he been playing for the scorpians? he impressed with his leading and presenting against melbourne but unfortunately couldn't convert. how is his kicking usually?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:Goose has the goal smarts of a west indian subterranean sludge frog.
mate, i just googled that. there's no such frog :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Ferg has all the atributes to be good but injuries have killed him.
has he been playing for the scorpians? he impressed with his leading and presenting against melbourne but unfortunately couldn't convert. how is his kicking usually?
Ok around the ground and has been ok when up forward this year at Scorps but he is gone so it doesnt matter.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Ok around the ground and has been ok when up forward this year at Scorps but he is gone so it doesnt matter.
pity. just had a lousy run with all those hamstring injuries. bad timing really.

To the top
SS Life Member

All this about a "full forward".

What we need is a good spread of players all capable of troubling the scorer.

This pre-occupation with a "full forward" or a "small forward" kicking goals is the culture of St Kilda, and it does not work.

We want team goals.

And I do not care who kicks them or where they play - as long as they are being kicked and they result from good team football with everyone contributing - both when they have the ball and when they do not have it.

We had the top full forward in the land for a number of years, and some would have we now have the best small forward in the land - and where has it got us?

Time to look at the 22 players St Kilda put on the park - because if you control the contests, the ball and the game you will score more than the other side which means you win, they lose.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:What we need is a good spread of players all capable of troubling the scorer.

do we have this at present? no. way too much is left to riewoldt and milne.

i think you've misunderstood the reason for the original post, which is not a search for the next tony lockett.

we need another target to take some heat off riewoldt, particularly with ross saying he wants to use kosi more as a ruckman and less as a key forward.

as you suggest and as i have said repeatedly, we need an even spread of goalkickers ... not too much reliance on one player, which has cost us in the past.

one of my concerns is that a lot of the time we don't have a forward line at all. they've all followed their opponents up the ground, following the "numbers behind the ball" edict.

the last forward line we had that worked (and consistently kicked high scores) had many avenues to goal ... riewoldt, milne, hamill etc. it also benefitted from a useful spearhead in gehrig.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i think we've finally hit upon the structure that will give us our best chance of kicking winning scores ... and just in time for the finals.

riewoldt ff and given plenty of space to lead into and with a couple of the better small forwards in the competition alongside him in milne and schneider.

roo as the spearhead actually makes a lot of sense. we're going to go to him anyway so we might as well make sure he's within kicking distance when he gets it.

also gives guys streaming towards goal the option of going straight over his head and kicking it themselves.

use kosi in the ruck and set him loose around the ground, drifting forward when he can.

for once we looked potent in attack and boy, does having something to kick to lift a team.

we must always be aware however of becoming too dependent on riewoldt and i'd be looking at bj and raph clarke to provide alternative tall marking options.

raph at half forward could be a real wildcard coming into september ... if we make it.

will be hard to cover milney if he misses. small forwards capable of kicking 50 plus in a season are hard to find.

who are the options to play his role? x clarke, armitage, geary, i guess. steven's probably too green at this stage of the season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:i think we've finally hit upon the structure that will give us our best chance of kicking winning scores ... and just in time for the finals.

riewoldt ff and given plenty of space to lead into and with a couple of the better small forwards in the competition alongside him in milne and schneider.

roo as the spearhead actually makes a lot of sense. we're going to go to him anyway so we might as well make sure he's within kicking distance when he gets it.

also gives guys streaming towards goal the option of going straight over his head and kicking it themselves.

kosi rucking and set loose around the ground, drifting forward when he can.

for once we looked potent in attack and boy, does having something to kick to lift a team.

we must always be aware however of becoming too dependent on riewoldt and i'd be looking at bj and raph clarke to provide alternative tall marking options.

raph at half forward could be a real wildcard coming into september ... if we make it.

will be hard to cover milney if he misses. small forwards capable of kicking 50 plus in a season are hard to find.

who are the options to play his role? x clarke, armitage, geary, i guess. steven's probably too green at this stage of the season.
I reckon a few of us could have picked that structure 20 weeks ago.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I reckon a few of us could have picked that structure 20 weeks ago.
why didn't you make yourself heard then genius?

anway, i guess the important thing is that it appears to have been resolved while the season is still alive.

would have been nice to have the double chance, of course, but we managed to blow good chances against the eagles and collingwood.

in both those matches, incidentally, we suffered from having no tall options apart from roo and paid the price accordingly.

the hawks are learning that lesson the hard way. saw buddy flying against three richmond players yesterday. he's a great player, but not that great.

davidgrantfan
Club Player

I still don't like Roo at FF...its such a waste of talent and his conversion ratio will never be wonderful. Play him at FF only when injured or resting.

Gwilt could be potential. Goddard and Sam Fisher could do it but may be beter where they are.

Here's an idea that was suggested to me...rest Steven KING at FF instead of only resting him on the bench. He is tall, a good mark and can kick.... would also feed Milne and Schneider..

Sobraz
SS Life Member

davidgrantfan wrote:I still don't like Roo at FF...its such a waste of talent and his conversion ratio will never be wonderful. Play him at FF only when injured or resting.

Gwilt could be potential. Goddard and Sam Fisher could do it but may be beter where they are.

Here's an idea that was suggested to me...rest Steven KING at FF instead of only resting him on the bench. He is tall, a good mark and can kick.... would also feed Milne and Schneider..
King is a ruckman and ruckman only.... cannot take an overhead mark in a contest even agaisnt a rover... just slaps the ball away....

At FF to provide a contest, fine, but dont expect any real output, as he aint got the skillset...

agree with BC about hitting the correct setup on sunday.... Roo 60% FF, rest of the time running free, in which time Kosi plays deep...