Cousins to announce preferred club tomorrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

saint edward wrote:
saint edward wrote:
johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:
* He wants to be a a footy club that doesn't seek the media spotlight and is heading in the right directiona nd he will have a unique place in our team in the future.
Saint Edward....

Just to enlighten you, Collingwood does not seek the media spotlight. The media are like rabbits under the Collingwood headlights. They sell newspapers and the like. They have been a successful enough club without the need to seek out the media for further attention (admittedly some recent negative press due to off-field incidents).

Sorry buddy but your reasons above just don't cut it.

Ok then,
I take back the 'seeking'(they always seem to find it so i'm not really sure though) Collingwood are a team that is constantly in the spotlight whether they want it or not. I think Ben has had enough of that and would just like to settle down. That is just my opinion though.

Another piece of evidence to back up my argument is Fraser Gehrig.
Didn't he turn down a career at Collingwood because he wanted to be at a club that was not constantly in the media spotlight ??? :? :? :?
Interesting point, my spin on it was that Gehrig thought they were too professional. Go figure.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:the guy has clearly suffered enormously for his sins.
has he really ? i know of many who have lost family, lost homes, lost careers , lost every thing dear to them from their addictions to an outsider (that all of us are) Ben still has a loving family, has still got all of his investments , is enbarking on a huge come back to his career and has through it all come out fairly clean and if anything stands to make money off his addiction .

i hope he is claen and i hope he stays that way as ive seen drug addiction destroy lives but to say he has suffered is a bit rich you wanna see suffering enormously look no further to the homeless who literally have nothing or even worst the ones who didnt survive

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Fair dinkum, he would have been through hell in the last 24 monhts MB.

Paid his dues. Shut his gob. He didn't kill anyone and deserves a chance with another club.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

BC9 soon to be a Saint.

Here's Collingwood's wrap sheet;

Failure
Went for Gehrig.....got donuts.
Went for Judd.....got donuts.
Went for Brown, twice.....got donuts.
Will go for Cousins.....will get donuts.

Success
Went for Medhurst.....got him and a set of steak knives!!! :lol:

He want's to avoid the media spotlight and he can make just as much money off the field playing for us, as he can for the pies.

BC9.....is coming :twisted:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

So freakin' hope you blokes are right.

I will hate it if Jason Blake has to tag him next year.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

markp
Saintsational Legend

With all those donuts they should've gone for Stuart Dew and Lance Whitnall.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:BC9 soon to be a Saint.

Failure

Success

He want's to avoid the media spotlight and he can make just as much money off the field playing for us, as he can for the pies.

Didn't they have a sneaky crack at Riewoldt at one point?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Failure

Success

Some Collingwood officials wanted Lockett but were out voted

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

If Ben comes to us and stays on the park, then we will have a genuine crack at the flag IMO. PLUS, i reckon it could be worth an exra couple of thousand members signing up.

If Ben goes to the pies, then they will be lambasted for being hypocrites,

However, Their spin on it will be "We are the SECOND CHANCE club"

MARK MY WORDS........ Whoever gets Ben will finish Higher on the ladder next year.

And if anyone thinks thats crap, I am VERY happy to put my money where my mouth is.... 8-)

Mooksy
Club Player

My old man was at a function yesterday and Malthouse was the speaker. They are definitely chasing Cousins and we are definitely not far behind them.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Didn't they have a sneaky crack at Riewoldt at one point?
Eddie has a crack at every player.

Always offers big money and even though he would like them at Collingwood, he knows it's very hard to get superstars to move clubs.

So in turn, the price of the club keeping their superstars rises, then that teams salary cap room has become smaller and Eddie has succeeded in his original plan.

It's a cu*ts act, but he's a business man and that's just the way it works.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
St. Luke wrote:Oh very exciting stuff! :D

So I'm a little unclear on this, how can he dictate where he's going? Please explain :?
How did Judd do it?
judd did not do it. blues were not judd's first choice. they had to use a draft pick on him. judd wanted to go to pies.

cuz is different. he can go in the preseason draft (not the national).
no guarantees he will get his club of choice. but he has a much better show in the preseason draft.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

apparently we are trading for kane tenace

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:apparently we are trading for kane tenace
...anyone for Tenace? :lol: I crack m'self up.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
fingers wrote:

So I'm a little unclear on this, how can he dictate where he's going? Please explain :?
How did Judd do it?
judd did not do it. blues were not judd's first choice. they had to use a draft pick on him. judd wanted to go to pies.
Not according to what I heard.

Judd's first, last and only choice was Carlton - all teh rest was just a smokescreen.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Champagne comedy!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Champagne comedy!

I thought it was an ACE gag!!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Failure

Success

Well actrually, Medhurst was the set of steak knives in that deal....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
fingers wrote:

How did Judd do it?

Judd's first, last and only choice was Carlton - all teh rest was just a smokescreen.
that cant be true. you cant have a first and last choice as one club. its not possible, feasibe or practical under the rules. judd and his management were well aware of that. WCE had to do a deal with the blues (remember josh kennedy). WCE were within their rights to refuse to deal with the blues. so you cant possibly say judd had only one choice. he would have had some contingencies. judd did not have that luxury. he needed wce and the blues to do a deal. thats how it is. WCE could have played hard ball or only dealt with say the tigers. wce out of respect for judd did a deal with the blues but they werent obliged to at all. this is why wce is talking sotough on kerr. from their perspective they played too nice on judd and felt they lost out. so from now they wont be so nice.
they easily could have a done deal with the tiges and told judd to stick it. so to say he "only had one choice" is rubbish. the system does not a llow a player to dictate where he goes. that goes to the entire integrity of the equalisation policy. so u are talking bollox. sorry.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Not bad :D

timtam
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
fingers wrote:

How did Judd do it?

that cant be true. you cant have a first and last choice as one club. its not possible, feasibe or practical under the rules. judd and his management were well aware of that. WCE had to do a deal with the blues (remember josh kennedy). WCE were within their rights to refuse to deal with the blues. so you cant possibly say judd had only one choice. he would have had some contingencies. judd did not have that luxury. he needed wce and the blues to do a deal. thats how it is. WCE could have played hard ball or only dealt with say the tigers. wce out of respect for judd did a deal with the blues but they werent obliged to at all.
Hang on, that is not what you said to start off with. You said Judd's preferred club was Collingwood, not Carlton. That is incorrect. He did his round of clubs and made it clear that Carlton and ONLY Carlton was the club that he would go to. There was a little bit of niggle at the time over it. Judd chose Carlton and told WCE to do the deal or *can't remember exactly what the threat at the time was but there supposedly was one*. He had no contingency, it was Carlton or nothing. All the clubs were aware of it hence the reason no one else (including Collingwood) made a play for him after he had made the decision. The Cousins decision will be the same.
Last edited by timtam on Fri 26 Sep 2008 5:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't argue with an idiot - people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
roo+hayes=flag
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
degruch wrote:
Don't get it

Keep on rolling Harvs
saintm
Club Player

In Judd's case wasn't it preferable that Carlton and WCE agreed to a trade because Judd was out of contract and could have nominated for the pre-season draft thereby doing WCE out of any draft picks, players etc. they would have received in exchange for him.

Example given Nick Stevens from Port Adelaide to Carlton.

The problem with Judd going into last year's pre-season draft was that Richmond, from memory, had first pick and if I understand it correctly this is where nominating a price comes into play so that you can price yourself out of being picked up by a non-preferred team.

Daniel Kerr's case is different if he wants to be traded as he still has a year to run on his current contract with the WCE.

Please correct any of the above if it is wrong!!

Guess Ben can price himself so that other Clubs, except the one he is interested in, cannot afford him but I wouldn't think that he could expect to comeback and be paid what he was previously on with West Coast.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

roo+hayes=flag wrote:
Thinline wrote:
degruch wrote:
Don't get it
Wait for the punch line, I still am.............................

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

timtam wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
fingers wrote:

How did Judd do it?

that cant be true. you cant have a first and last choice as one club. its not possible, feasibe or practical under the rules. judd and his management were well aware of that. WCE had to do a deal with the blues (remember josh kennedy). WCE were within their rights to refuse to deal with the blues. so you cant possibly say judd had only one choice. he would have had some contingencies. judd did not have that luxury. he needed wce and the blues to do a deal. thats how it is. WCE could have played hard ball or only dealt with say the tigers. wce out of respect for judd did a deal with the blues but they werent obliged to at all.
Hang on, that is not what you said to start off with. You said Judd's preferred club was Collingwood, not Carlton. That is incorrect. He did his round of clubs and made it clear that Carlton and ONLY Carlton was the club that he would go to. There was a little bit of niggle at the time over it. Judd chose Carlton and told WCE to do the deal or *can't remember exactly what the threat at the time was but there supposedly was one*. He had no contingency, it was Carlton or nothing. All the clubs were aware of it hence the reason no one else (including Collingwood) made a play for him after he had made the decision. The Cousins decision will be the same.
im willing to accept i was wrong and that carlton was his firt choice. but the system is not say up in a way to allow players to make these sorts of demands. judd knew it. his management knew it. so he may have expressed a strong preference - he does not have any power. thats the whole point of the system. individual players cannont hold clubs to ransom. he would have had preferences only. WCE could have said no to carlont in hich case judd would be clubless. are you suggesting he would have opted out of football rather than ply for another club? you are giving judd all the power when in fact he did not have all the power. if players can go wherever they insist (which is what you are suggesting) the whole system just dies. players can only express preferences and hope the clubs do a deal. players NEVER have the power to insist where they go UNLESS they are willing to not play at all. now the afl is really torn on this because they want to the equalisATION AND DRAFT INTEGRITY to be kept intact but they are also paranoid about someone sooner or later taking these rules on for restraint of trade. the afl is taken lots of legal advice on this point. so the AFL seriously encourage players are able to get to their clubs of choie and that a practical solution is reached so they dont have a leagl challenge (which is probably a matter of time although the afl believe they are legally ok and would defend it). but in theory players cnt dictate where they go - otherwise we get a man united epl situation.