2009 Team Shaping Up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

if beglly is so good why did the lions delist him.

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

grams kicking has a :?: on it too.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

SAINT JUMP wrote:if beglly is so good why did the lions delist him.
New coach, different direction.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:

My round round team-

B. Begley Hudgton Gilbert
HB. S.Fisher Maguire R.Clarke
C. Gram Hayes Montagna
HF. Dal Santo Riewoldt Lynch
F. Milne Allen Koschitzke
R. King Goddard Ball
I. Armitage Baker Schneider Blake
E. X.Clarke Jones Ray

When I say confident I mean bloody hopeful!
Geeze if that lot are all in form we should havea pretty handy team.

Early days for Lynch...and having both him and Allen plus Kosi and Roo makes the forward line as you indicated a bit tall.

So one of them out...

It may be Begle v Baker too if raph continues on with his late season blooming.

I think X might re-emerge too as I believe that his fathers illness affected him greatly this year...and that both X and Raph will be inspired to play as X Snr would have liked them to play.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
undecided
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:

My round round team-

C. Gram Hayes Montagna
R. King Goddard Ball
E. X.Clarke Jones Ray

I dont think Allen will be playing FF for us, he isnt very mobile and he would make our forward line very tall and it could be easily exposed. I hope Paul Cahill puts on a bit of muscle b/c then he will be the ideal FF, 193cm, good fast leads and pretty nimble. i just hope he gets a chance playing there in the next few years

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

undecided wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:

My round round team-

C. Gram Hayes Montagna
R. King Goddard Ball
E. X.Clarke Jones Ray

I dont think Allen will be playing FF for us, he isnt very mobile and he would make our forward line very tall and it could be easily exposed. I hope Paul Cahill puts on a bit of muscle b/c then he will be the ideal FF, 193cm, good fast leads and pretty nimble. i just hope he gets a chance playing there in the next few years
me too,its all about oppurtunity,,he`s got to make the most of it now and quick,as low picks normally only get the chance to make it 1 or 2 years...he`s very capable of making it work.

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B: X. Clarke, Hudgton, Baker
HB: S. Fisher, Maguire, Ray
C: Blake, Hayes, Gilbert
HF: Lynch, Riewoldt, Dal Santo
F: Milne, Goddard, Schneider

Foll: King, Ball, Montagna

Inter: Koschitzke*, R. Clarke, Gram, Jones.

*second ruck.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:B: X. Clarke, Hudgton, Baker

*second ruck.
Pretty sure from what Joey said on SEN yesterday that Kosi will have the same role as last year so BJ will not be a hope of FF. I know you think that we need a good FF but using possible our next great on baller at FF isnt the answer. Also to big of an ask for Lynch to start in the side. I think we need to at least see how he plays.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

*second ruck.
Pretty sure from what Joey said on SEN yesterday that Kosi will have the same role as last year so BJ will not be a hope of FF. I know you think that we need a good FF but using possible our next great on baller at FF isnt the answer. Also to big of an ask for Lynch to start in the side. I think we need to at least see how he plays.
ahh plugger. i thought that might smoke you out.

if kosi plays the same role as last year (second ruck) we'll definitely be in need of a good full forward.

that's my team. anyway. what does yours look like?
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 04 Dec 2008 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

*second ruck.

I will tell you Wednesday before the first game after I have seen who is good enough and who is fit.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

*second ruck.

I will tell you Wednesday before the first game after I have seen who is good enough and who is fit.
why don't you take a stab at it now? you seem reluctant to name a team. almost as though you're afraid of offending someone by leaving them out. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

*second ruck.

why don't you take a stab at it now? you seem reluctant to name a team. almost as though you're afraid of offending someone by leaving them out. :wink:
Takes to long to type when the chances you will probably only 16 right unless of course someone on here no how Steven will play early next year or when Allen will start training or if the players can understand Begley.

awesome_days
Club Player

Our XXII for the last day in September:

B: Dempster Hughton Gilbert

HB: SFisher Maguire RClarke

C: Gram Goddard Montagna

HF: Lynch Riewoldt Dal Santo

F: Milne Koschitzke Schneider

R: King Hayes Ball

Int: Blake Armitage XClarke Steven

Emg: Heyne McEvoy Baker

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Takes to long to type.
gimme a break. i think it is a bit unfair of you to shoot down others' enthusiasm without contributing anything yourself.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
gimme a break. i think it is a bit unfair of you to shoot down other's enthusiasm without contributing anything yourself.
Fair enough. Just dont think BJ is any value what so ever at FF but who knows.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
gimme a break. i think it is a bit unfair of you to shoot down other's enthusiasm without contributing anything yourself.
you may well be right, but then again the alternatives aren't exactly knocking the door down.

your full forward would be?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
you may well be right, but then again the alternatives aren't exactly knocking the door down.

The only true FF we have is Rooy but not sure FF are needed the way footy is played today. One thing I do know is you dont try and create them.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The only true FF we have is Rooy but not sure FF are needed the way footy is played today.
didn't hurt hawthorn to have a good one did it. riewoldt would be good at ff, but i think he's too valuable at chf and, try as we probably will, we can't have him in both key positions.

plugger66 wrote:One thing I do know is you dont try and create them
why not? gehrig was playing full back in 2003 before we tried him at ff. it is a very important key position and needs a good player in it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The only true FF we have is Rooy but not sure FF are needed the way footy is played today.
didn't hurt hawthorn to have a good one did it. riewoldt would be good at ff, but i think he's too valuable at chf and, try as we probably will, we can't have him in both key positions.

plugger66 wrote:One thing I do know is you dont try and create them
why not? gehrig was playing full back in 2003 before we tried him at ff. it is a very important key position and needs a good player in it.

Who is Hawthorns FF? I thought Williams, Roughead and Buddy played in most forward positions. As for ours it should be Rooy, Kosi, Milney and one or 2 others thoughout a game. Apart from Fev I dont think any side has a pure FF these days.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Who is Hawthorns FF? I thought Williams, Roughead and Buddy played in most forward positions. As for ours it should be Rooy, Kosi, Milney and one or 2 others thoughout a game. Apart from Fev I dont think any side has a pure FF these days.
franklin kicked 120-odd goals in 2008. he might float around a bit, but in reality he is their full forward.

unlike our situation where riewoldt if the predictable marking target for nearly every attack. buddy has some very good help in the form of roughhead (who kicked 70) and williams (45).

that's a hell of a lot of firepower that we cannot match with our current set up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Who is Hawthorns FF? I thought Williams, Roughead and Buddy played in most forward positions. As for ours it should be Rooy, Kosi, Milney and one or 2 others thoughout a game. Apart from Fev I dont think any side has a pure FF these days.
franklin kicked 120-odd goals in 2008. he might float around a bit, but in reality he is their full forward.

unlike our situation where riewoldt if the predictable marking target for nearly every attack. buddy has some very good help in the form of roughhead (who kicked 70).

that's a hell of a lot of firepower that we cannot match with our current set up.
Well I tend to think Buddy plays in most position on the forward line anyway that isnt the point. All of the Hawks players are natural forwards so they play well there. Its funny our 2 true natural fowards also play well in the forward line. We cannot improve our forward line until we get more consistant run out of the backline and more run and goals from our midfield. That is the only way we can improve unless one of new kids surprise us and with Allen out early in the season that limits one of our options.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We cannot improve our forward line until we get more consistant run out of the backline and more run and goals from our midfield.
interesting point that.

i think hawthorn's enormous firepower up front gives their running defenders and midfield massive incentive to move it quickly and directly.

to me that's what makes them look so good in those areas ... the knowledge that if they can get it near their goals buddy or jarryd or someone else will get it and kick a goal.

they look like us in rounds 1-10 2004 with our dominant forward line of gehrig, riewoldt, hamill, milne etc.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Bigcarl, you've been pushing the idea of BJ at FF for a long time now, but I don't think you'll ever see it happen.

He is a great player and he could probably kick 40 goals if you did stick him up forward all year, but he's far more valuable up the ground.

BJ's strengths are his brilliant kicking to position, reading of the play, his hard attack on the ball and his strength compared to other mids/flankers. These attributes are much more useful in the midfield or half back than if you stuck him up forward as a lead and mark player. He doesn't have much pace, isn't tall for a KPP and isn't an outstanding mark.

Putting Goddard at full forward would be robbing us of our most skilled, smartest midfielder to do a job that one of Allen, Lynch or Cahill would be able to do almost as well.

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

allen will be lucky to play in 2009

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

goddard smartest midfield, hardley played their last year. where do you get the smartest from.